main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda's Cane

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Ob1-Ob2-Ob3, Feb 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ob1-Ob2-Ob3

Ob1-Ob2-Ob3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2004
    I've never paid much attention to Yoda's came before, UNTIL NOW!

The other day I was watching TPM for my 162th time, when I observed Yoda's cane for the first time.

That is a dandy piece of driftwood there aint it? It's curvy and short and has lasted for probably like over 200 years. Any information on his cane would be greatly appreciated. Where did it come from?What is it made out of?Where can I get one? Does Wal-Mart stock them?

I would really like to know.

Peace out

2. Jainalover

Jainalover Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I wish I knew. It does look pretty cool what we see of it doesnt it?

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    It's a gimer stick. Yoda chews on it when he's bored.

4. SithHolocron

SithHolocron Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2003
    When Yoda chews on the cane, he gets nutrients that aid meditation.

5. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Ah, reminds of the days before AOTC when people said Yoda's lightsaber would come out of his cane!

[face_laugh]

6. Ob1-Ob2-Ob3

Feb 1, 2004
    "Ah, reminds of the days before AOTC when people said Yoda's lightsaber would come out of his cane!"

That would be pretty cool though, wouldn't it. So it's a gimmer stick, eh?Mmmm.Veree intervesting.Did you guys get that of of Star Wars.com?Peace out.

7. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    It's listed as a "gimer stick" in multiple places. I'm sure the Official Site mentions it, and the POTF2 Yoda figure said "with gimer stick". The part about the gimer stick giving him nutrients can also be found in the Star Wars Encyclopedia.

8. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    strilo edit: Drug references are not allowed.

9. Ob1-Ob2-Ob3

Feb 1, 2004

10. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    From the Completely Unoficial Star Wars Encyclopedia:

[link=http://www1.theforce.net/cuswe/search.asp?search=Gimer][b]Gimer[/b][/link]: this plant, native to the planet Dagobah, has a bark which provides succulent juice when chewed. Gimer sticks were favored by Yoda, who believed the plant's juice aided in meditation. Note that the Star Wars Customizable Card Game: Dagobah indicates that the gimer stick was a symbol of a Jedi Master's ancient wisdom.[hr][/blockquote]

Photo from the official site:
    [blockquote][hr][image=http://www.starwars.com/episode-i/snapshot/2000/03/img/yodacane_bg.jpg][hr][/blockquote]

11. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    So this means Dagobah is Yoda's native home, or at least he has been there before Episode 3 since he has a staff made of some wood from Dagobah...?

12. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Its possible that the Jedi know about the planet, or perhaps Yoda has studied it. He's been around for almost 900 years, so I'm guessing he knows a LOT about the galaxy. He may have been there for any number of reasons, or maybe he just read about the canes and thought they were nifty and decided to go get one. If you get into the EU, there's the whole dark Force nexus thing going on there, where supposedly something major happened, and the cane could have been discovered at that point as well. There are really a lot of possibilities on this one.

13. Ob1-Ob2-Ob3

Feb 1, 2004
    I always wondered why in the hell Yoda chose Degobah to hide out on. Thanx for the info!

Peace out.

14. Yoda_Vicious

Yoda_Vicious Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2003

15. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    If you get into the EU, there's the whole dark Force nexus thing going on there, where supposedly something major happened, and the cane could have been discovered at that point as well

Ah yes, Tim Zahn's books, my fave EU. :)

16. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    - Has anyone been to them all?

- *chuckle* Not likely.

Yoda might have!

17. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    I hate to point this out, but the cane Yoda has in TPM and AOTC were different in appearance than the cane he had in ESB. Way back then in 83 is when the term gimmer stick was coined.

I've wondered about this myself. IIRC correctly the cane in TPM and AOTC is black and curvy. The cane in ESB is brown, has a curved almost hooked handle, and is brown and straight.

So, we know it's a gimmer stick in ESB, but is it a different cane althoghter in the PT or just a different colored gimmer stick?

18. MrHat

MrHat Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 11, 2004
    It is obviously a pimp stick, I mean why else would he keep it so close to his heart.

19. Ob1-Ob2-Ob3

Feb 1, 2004
    I though that the canes were different!

Note:perhaps Yoda hitting Luke over the head with his stick changed its appearance?Hmm?

Plus, apologies about drug reference.
    *Star Wars is good, drugs are bad!

Peace out

20. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Well then, does Palpatine have a gimmer stick as well? :p
    He could chew on that thing all day.

21. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Just for reference, the pic posted above is the cane from ESB not TPM or AOTC. I can't remember TPM off hand but I watched AOTC a couple of days ago and Yoda's cane is black.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.