main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda's place in the Jedi order's history

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by forever_jedi, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Varr

Darth-Varr Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2005
    It was empty advice. Unless you are saying Anakin should leave his pregnant wife and never see her again.

Let me quote a smart man from the Old Republic.

?The Jedi are pacifist except in times of war. They are teachers except when it comes to telling their students the truth.?

2. 3_Foot_Jedi

3_Foot_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    First off, Great post MithrandirVader, Especially:

Obi-Wan: "But Master Yoda said I should be mindful of the future"
    Qui-Gon: "But not at the expense of the moment. Be mindful of the Living Force."

All through the PT Yoda tried to look into the future in order to make his decisions. He was basing his decision making on how it would impact the future based on what he saw when he looked at rather than making his decisions based on the will of the Living Force.

It shows how much he's learned in the years on Dagobah aswell, when luke rushes off to save Leia and the gang, Yoda's advise to him is "Careful you must be, when sensing the future you do"(or something like that).

3. ObiJuanQuito

ObiJuanQuito Jedi Youngling star 5

May 20, 2005

In light of this post and the PT, I'd like to offer something up for discussion.

In the PM, we see that before anakin, Yoda had the highest Midi count of any being. We've read countless books alluding to Yoda's achievements during his 900+ years. My question is(that might be answered if Lucas decided to make another starwars about Yoda) was YODA ever considered to be the Chosen one?

4. PADMELUVA

PADMELUVA Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    "It was empty advice. Unless you are saying Anakin should leave his pregnant wife and never see her again. "

thats not what he was saying-and anakin was never completly truthful with any of the jedi.

he was telling anakin to not let his fears rule him....thats good advice. had yoda known the whole story, im sure the lecture would have been longer, and better said to fit skywalker's unique position. thats ankakin's fault.....he never gave yoda a chance to comprehend the matter, in its entrity.

yoda's advice was sound and wise.

5. Darth-Varr

Darth-Varr Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2005

Now the last part can be taken two ways. It can be taken as leave anything you fear to loose. It also can be do not be afraid to loose them. Now, the second part is what I am thinking you are talking about. This isn?t help at all. For someone who has proven themselves to give into hate when dealing with death (remember his mother) it is horrible advice. Telling them just to learn to live with death isn?t going to help the situation.

6. PADMELUVA

Nov 20, 2004
    yes but did the jedi know he had gone to far? no. he never tells them the circumstances surrounding dooku's death, and he never tells them about the tuskan slaughter. anakin should have volunteered this inforamtion along time ago....and besides yoda doesnt seem like the one to put pressure or dig information out of others, especially out of those who should have the maturity to fess up and come clean.

7. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    [][/i]In light of this post and the PT, I'd like to offer something up for discussion.

In the PM, we see that before anakin, Yoda had the highest Midi count of any being. We've read countless books alluding to Yoda's achievements during his 900+ years. My question is(that might be answered if Lucas decided to make another starwars about Yoda) was YODA ever considered to be the Chosen one?

wow, great question. I have no insight as i am not really knowlegdable of any EU. But in my imagination i must assume that someone out there thought that Yoday was the choosen one...

meditate on this, i will...

Oh, and my thoughts on the original post...

ROTS nor the PT did anything to lesson my appreciation of Yoda.
    it definately gave me a different point of view and presented Yoda as an imperfect beign ...

yeah -he wasnt able to sense palps movements that were clouded by the dark side and he ultimately failed "mid-way through the saga"

but he is wise enough to admit defeat, admit his failures, and take steps to secure the future of the jedi order and a hope of peace in the galaxy...

Yoda had the patients and ultimate foresight to re-think the whole philosophy of the jedi order, and to trust in will of the force.

his experience (both up and down)led to wisdom as seen in ESB/ROTJ

Yoda is the wisest of them all...and in my book, Wisdom is the truest Power.

edit: spelling

8. ObiJuanQuito

May 20, 2005
    Thank you very much.. Wonder this since TPM... Oh and other thing to ponder is no one knows Yoda's origins or species.. What's not to say Yoda species died out and he was created by the Midis like anakin..... He was created maybe not to be the chosen one to bring balance to the force but born to lead the Jedi order until the Chosen one came.....

Like the story of John the Baptist and Jesus... (Read first few chapters of Luke.. ;) )

Well, I agree with you. Yoda was not diminished in my eyes.... He was shown to be a great, wise compasionate leader of a dying order...

Yoda on many occasions instructed Jedis of their confidence, arrogrance, etc....

Yoda (next to Anakin) was the greatest Jedi ever.

9. PADMELUVA

Nov 20, 2004
    ObiWanQuito

that was a great question indeed. although i myself have never read any of the EU, i know for a fact that i read somewhere that in his younger years, someone proposed that yoda may have in fact been the chosen one. mind you, that was hundreds of years ago, when he was in his prime (if he was bad-ass as an old fart, just think what he was like when he was younger).

i think its on the OS Databank entry for yoda. check of the EU biography of him at that site, i think it says it there.

10. ObiJuanQuito

May 20, 2005
    [face_blush]
    Thanks Padme...

Yes, Yoda in his prime was probably the most feared JEdi in the galaxy...
    I can imagine Yoda being dispatched to settle a dispute on a distant planet and both sides run and hide at the mention of Yoda's name..

11. LordBestor

LordBestor Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2005
    yoda is the most powerfull jedi he has not fallen down the ranks at all. he did not lose to sidious. at first sidious tried to run from yoda "if so powerfull why leave" yoda.
    yoda gave anakin the right at advice. "train yourself to let go of all you fear to lose" if anakin would of done that then he would not of fallen to the dark side but he is arogrant. think of it this way if every jedi were as powerfull and wise as yoda the fall of the jedi wouldn't of happened

12. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    Great to see this oldie dug up and to see that Yoda has such loyal, staunch supporters! :D

Well, if he had a bona fide FATHER, who was also short and green, there would be no reason to believe that he was the Chosen One. Also, for what it's worth, it seems that the Jedi of the last 900 years, pre-TPM, may not have been as concerned with the "Chosen One" and the "Prophecy" as the they became during TPM.

From some of the responses, it seems to me that to some people, Yoda's high midichlorian count seals his greatness and place in the Jedi order. Back during the OT, I had no idea what midichlorians were, and what Yoda's count was, but I thought he was the greatest. For me, now, his midichlorian count did not make him great; his life experiences did.

Okay, so Yoda obviously was an extraordinarily accomplished Jedi and headed the Order for countless years pre-TPM. As long as the Sith remained hidden. But when the true test came, when the Sith finally revealed themselves, it would have been nice if he had shown more understanding of the present AND the future, the futility of war, and had not allowed the dark side to "cloud" his vision too. And had discovered the identity and the plot of the Sith earlier. Also, thought more about the prophecy - he admits they may may have been mistaken about it.

Clearly, the fall of the Jedi order, and the utter folly of the Clone wars that the Jedi faught, teaches him during the OT that "wars does not make one great." The events of the PT must have been very humbling for him - but to his immense credit, he continued to grow and learn during the OT and through a completely PACIFIST approach that he also passed along to Luke, played his part in defeating the Sith.

13. ZachH

ZachH Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    QMF, I really like this theory.

14. rbarcia

rbarcia Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 6, 2002
    In general, I think the PT gave me an overall weaker impression of the Jedi.

5. He has been communicating with Qui-Gon. Why did he keep this knowledge to himself for the last 3 years? Why didn't he immediately tell others - and learn more about this ability ASAP? Do some research into the Whills? Why keep it all to himself and not do anything with it?
    Only the wisest, most focused Jedi could communicate with the dead. Qui-Gon chose Yoda. Mace, Obi-Wan, Plo Koon, and Ki-Adi Mundi, etc. had nothing to do with the issue of Qui-Gon because he does not speak to them.

Luke sure didn't need much training to communicate with the dead, Obi-Wan chose Luke and Luke heard and saw Obi-wan. The training of communicating with the dead is done by the person doing the communicating. I am sure someone will answer Qui-gon did not perfect the art so only the wisest could hear him. I mean Luke heard Obi-wan the minute Obi-wan died. No effort on Kule's part what so ever.

In the PT the Jedi are bad investigators who use strange armies that just appear, made from a clone of a bounty hunter, who fought against them with the Seperatist. Yoda is the leader of these wise band of people. I mean Yoda felt the pain Anakin was in because Qui-gon was communicating with him. And after having these feelings, he waits 3 years to talk to him about it?

15. PADMELUVA

Nov 20, 2004
    you may be making alot of assumptions

who says that yoda has been communicating with qui gon all these years?

in AOTC, he only hears qui gon. he never speaks to him. to me that shows that qui gon is slowly making contact, and it is only after the tumultuous events of ROTS, that both yoda and qui gon break through the darkside, and are actually able to speak to one another.

the cut scene in ROTS is the first and only time they speak. all times before, it was merely yoda hearing qui gon. he wasnt actively speaking with him whenever he got the chance.

"I mean Yoda felt the pain Anakin was in because Qui-gon was communicating with him"
    yoda feels anakin's pain on his own, not because of qui gon. he merely hears qui gon's voice, and that confuses him. this jedi has been dead, yet ive heard his voice. hearing his voice, and actually speaking to the person are two different things, dont be quick to jump to conclusions.

and i think that may be the proper interpretation.

16. jag29

jag29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 13, 2002
    I've seen the movie a numerous amount of times, as I'm sure everyone else has too. When I look at the Palpatine/Yoda encounter I don't see Yoda being beaten. I look at it as a stalement. I know he doesn't win but I don't think he loses either.

Jag29

17. Yodas_Got_Bed_Head

Yodas_Got_Bed_Head Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2004
    Agreed, excellent point.

18. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    but the teachings of qui-gon may be the reason he's so much different in the OT.

Absolutely. And talking only with a ghost for 20 years explains why hes so freaky when Luke first meets him. :D That and the mushrooms. The shrooms made the conversations with Qui-Gon so much more vivid :p

19. PADMELUVA

Nov 20, 2004
    ^shrooms and licking toads....which means all he needs to do is lick himself

20. -maynard-

-maynard- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    besides all the rhetoric of "the dark side clouded their vision" and "the Jedi are arrogant," whatever. It simply comes down to, it made for a good movie. its to make anakins turn more believeable and the decline of the jedi more believable

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.