main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph You better be reading Fables

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Soontir-Fel, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I just reread " 1001 Nights of Snowfall" and damn if it's still not one of the best things ever.

Fables, a comic written by Bill Willingham, with amazing covers by James Jean, and drawn by a myriad of illistrators, is the tale of the story book legends being pushed from their homelands by a mysterious Advesary, and being forced to settle in New York and take up new lives. Like the Big Bad Wolf as the Sheriff, Snow White as the deputy Mayor, Cinderella as secret agent and so forth. And the series works far better then it should. It's funny, it's touching, it's ******* brilliant. If it continues it's current level of quality it may surpass Sandman as the best damn comic series ever.

Seriously, if you aren't reading it I hate you.

And it's about to go into a Flycatcher story arc. The most tragic character in the series, for reasons I won't spoil here.

Fly... :(

2. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Yeah its a pretty good series, I don't like the direction of some of the characters, what happened to the Frog Princes family makes for very uncomfortable reading and made me look at the character in a different way, but overall its very well told.

3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Wonderful series. I don't think it's anywhere near as good as Sandman, though.

4. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    One of my favorite comics at the moment....

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I think it's great. Bigby rulez. :p

Flycatcher and Boy Blue are my favorites after him.

6. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    I just started reading this not too long ago and am looking to start picking up the trades soon. Love the twists and turns on the old stories and characters this series produces. I even got a friend hooked on it.

I'd have to say, so far, my favorite characters are Rose, Fly, Blue, and Bigby. With the Black Forest Witch not far behind.

7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, Frau Tottenkinder is awesome. I loved the showdown between her and Baba Yaga..take those, stupid Eastern European witch with the walking house! :p

8. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Blue Boy is a better Spider-Man then Spider-Man is.

9. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Yeah I didn't think much of him at the start, but his trip back to the Homelands showed he was a pretty good warrior.

10. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    I've read 1001 Nights of Snowfall and the first 4 TPBs. My girlfriend is the one who actually reads it, and I kind of started reading it at her house one boring night... Now I'm hooked.

Flycatcher and Bigby are my favorites.

11. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I picked up the first two trades. Holy cow, is this good. Lives up to its hype in a big way.

12. DAR

Jul 8, 2004
    Since I last posted here. I've picked up the remaining trades that have been released. I can't wait to read it some more.

13. Randy1012

Randy1012 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2007
    Fables is one of my favorite series out right now--and I don't mean just comics. It's fantastic. I only collect the trades, though, so once I've caught up (I'm not sure yet, last one I got was "Sons of Empire") it's gonna kill me waiting for the next ones. :(

14. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    I love Fables and Jack of Fables. I got to attended a small Q&A with Bill Willingham back in June. He couldn't really tell us much but he did say to look out for Frau Tottenkinder in upcoming books.

15. DAR

Jul 8, 2004
    I mentioned this on another thread, but I would love to see HBO take a crack at this. If Hollywood is going to get there hands on it, then HBO could give it the attention it deserves.

16. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

If there's one thing I generally hate on Fables, it's fill in artists. Buckingham is so darn good at the book, fill in artists almost always are a step down. :(

17. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    100% agree. The fill in for the newest issue was awful. Too cartoony for my taste.

18. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    i hate you.

It was absolutely adorable.

19. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

The latest issue is exactly what I'm talking about with regards to fill-in artists. Ugh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.