main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You Can Get Your Story Published

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Fluke_Groundwalker, Dec 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    Barnes & Noble has teamed up with iUniverse to help you publish your stories! Just follow this link for more information.

2. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Cool! Tales from the Empire was written mostly by fans ;)

But I don't think I have enough potential to actually write a real book :(

3. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    I don't have a lot of experience with the professional world, but enough that I want to comment on this.

1. What this is, is a vanity press -- eg, you pay them to publish your book. There is nothing inherently wrong with doing so, and I think there have been a few stories that may have made back publishing costs.

But not many. This is a relatively cheap one, but remember, if you want to make your money back on it, you'll have to sink more into advertising, and you will have to get bookstores and so on to stock your book. Given that vanity presses are not exactly well-respected (since they don't really require anything of their writers except a willingness to pay), this can be a significant amount of energy spent.

If you want to self-publish your stories, it's probably cheaper to just get a homepage at Homestead or something, do them up the way you want them, and hawk them on the search engines. I have no idea about the legalities or technology involved in this if you want to be paid for your story (I suppose it has to be registered somewhere, and there has to be a way of collecting the money).

2. If you choose to go this route (and, like I said, there's nothing inherently wrong with doing so), it could only be with an original story. Any tie-in with a media property has to be through its licensed publishers if money is to be involved (oh, technically, it has to be even if money isn't involved, but clearly, most property owners aren't going to come crashing in and shutting down fanfic sites). In other words, LFL licenses Del Rey, Scholastic, and Dark Horse for stories, and a few others (like Dorling-Kindersley) for non-fiction. Frustrating as it is, since those doors are apparently sealed like Trade Federation battle bridges and we aren't equipped with lightsabers, those are the only professional outlets.

Just wanted to put that in.

That said, if you're interested, there are probably much worse deals out there, and the very prominence of this placement makes it unlikely that they're not on the up-and-up. Thanks to Fluke for bringing it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.