main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You Can Run But You Can't Hide (A Barin Truthfinder and Thom Capella story)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by HaiGan, Feb 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    I'm not sure whether to cry or cheer. They got what they wanted, but Barin has to go away again!!

Oh, HaiGan, that was absolutely superb!!

I hope you've got more snapshots, or at least another story for them in the works?

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I suppose tears of happiness are all I can manage!

That first line had me sad... the next, even before reading the post had me immediately chanting 'I hope so'.

It drove me crazy listening to those of the Council who voiced their rather inconsiderate 'nays' to Barin's question of taking a padawan. I believe they've taken 'there is no emotion' about a lightyear too far!

And yes! In all my emotionally driven desires I want to see (or read) the ansy-fancy ceremony bit.

If not *heavy sigh* let me say this entire thread has been a delight to look forward to and read.

3. HaiGan

HaiGan Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2000
    We-ell... I might manage an epilogue...

4. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Yes please!!! An epilogue!!!!! :) :) :) :D :D

5. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Excellant post HaiGan! I was 'grrr'ing at the council until they let Barin take Thom and after that it was all smiles!

An epilogue? Really? That would be rather cool!

Kithera

6. SiriGallia

SiriGallia Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2001
    "Oh don't be ridiculous," Mace said, dismissively. "What an idea! Perhaps we can get down to business now?"

I wanted to hit him. How dare he just rap out such a flippant answer as if Barin was just a upstart kid and not even worth considering!!

He had a padawan?
    Unbelievable!
    It would probably sink in eventually.
    Perhaps by the time Thom passed the Trials.

Hilarious x 5!

Finally Barin handed the gadget over. "There. I have given you access to my notes on writing effective reports, and to basic investigative procedures. The password for those is now 'jellyworms'. The rest, you will find, is rather more secure, but not so secure that I can afford to take it with me. Look after it for me."
    A spark of mischief made its reappearance on Thom's face. Barin welcomed it. He still couldn't shake the feeling that he was letting the boy down by leaving.
    "And what if I manage to hack into it?" Thom asked.
    "Then I will buy you your very own blaster," Barin told him, smiling slightly, "so long as you promise not to use me as target-practice."
    "Really truly?" Thom asked, wide-eyed. "Way cool!"

A long one to comment on, but I loved that whole last scene and this bit imparticular. It was a classic Thom/Barin momment!

The knight sighed. For the first time in his life he was reluctant to leave for a mission, and cared whether he came back in one piece or not. He had never had any reason to worry about it before. Missions took him away from the Temple, which was not a place that carried overly pleasant associations; and death had never been something he was afraid of. It was living that was the hard part.

A very cool bit after this whole story. I wonder, does Thom ever discover his master's past, or will the fact that Barin can live a good life in spite of old ghosts be sufficiant for HaiGan the Amazing? Or has this question already been answered by a snapshot somewhere?

And as for an epilogue...

pretty please? :D

Sarah >^,,^<

7. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    Oh wow, that was so good! An epilogue would be excellent! I don't mean to sound greedy *g*, but perhaps even a little bit about what happens in between?

Thanks for sharing this story with us, Hai Gan! It's been an absolute joy to read, despite the numerous times we were left hanging *g* Actually I think that made it even better. I hope you write more soon!

8. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    I suppose it was too much to ask for that everything go smoothly. It seems logical and right somehow that Barin should be called away on a mission just now. I loved the way you portrayed his inner struggles, his worry that Thom should have to be punished, the bad memories that the word evoked in him, and the way he knew that Thom would one day discover this weakness and want to exploit it if he didn't start as he meant to go on. Also, the way Barin wasn't quite sure where he found the patience to stand quietly as the Council debated back and forth whether he should be allowed to take a Padawan. His reaction at their answer was wonderful, the way he came out and just looked at Thom and finally managed an awe-struck whisper. And then the way he felt like joining Thom in those erratic aerobatics, but felt like he should set a good example now. Best of all was the way it wasn't as difficult as the first time for him to draw comfort from the hug.

Please, an epilogue! Maybe showing how he comes back from his mission and Thom has reason to nickname him The Crispy Toasted Jedi, and they do their ansy-fancy ceremony. And although I know it would be a very difficult thing to write, I admit to having a morbid desire for a scene in which Barin reveals his past to Thom and tells him the story behind that braid that is hanging in his quarters.

Excellent work, as always!

9. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    I can't really say anything further to all the comments that have gone before me, except to add my voice in saying that I enjoyed every minute of this story and that the characters of Barin, Thom, Chersh etc. are wonderful additions to the fanfiction world!

I felt so sorry for both Barin and Thom, getting their wish to be Master and Padawan at long last and then to be snatched away from each other like that on account of a mission. Just how easy Thom will find it to cope in Barin's absence, wondering if maybe his 'master' is going to come back at all? I hope for his sake the mission is of a short duration! The way he went from joyful delight at the council's agreement to pained frustration when he learned of Barin's mission was most heart rendering. And I loved the way that Barin shuddred as it was pronounced that it was his and Thom's destiny to be together.

Amazing story HaiGan, I was honored my characters could be involved in it. I join the others in calling for an epilogue! :)

10. HaiGan

Nov 7, 2000
    Aw. [face_blush]

Thank you all.

I've had a snapshot sitting half written for some time, in which Thom (and Qui-Gon and Mace as well) find out the full story of Barin's past. It's called 'Truth Hurts'. I may yet manage to finish it...

And, since you asked so nicely, an epilogue. :)

Epilogue: Roughly One Year Later

An-Paj opened the door out onto the Temple's vehicle park. He hadn't been asked to meet the incoming shuttle. Nobody on board was hurt.

Not physically, at any rate.

That the Healer had been in Mace's quarters when the call had come through was pure coincidence; they had been discussing a request for Jedi medical aid from one of the outer worlds. Now Barin Truthfinder was back, his year-long mission was completed, and from the sound of it there would be no repercussions and nothing for the Council to find fault with; except that Barin had been so flippant with Mace as to sound positively light-hearted. The warning bell had chimed in the Healer's mind, and as soon as he had finished his dealings with Mace he had headed towards the landing site.

An-Paj started to walk out across the permacrete, only to see that someone else had beaten him to it. A gangling, dark-skinned figure with a disreputable black floormop of hair was standing alone in the centre of the park, squinting up into the sunlight. An-Paj paused, then smiled to himself and quietly returned inside.

He had the feeling that Barin Truthfinder was going to be all right.

Thom had trekked out to the vehicle park every day for the past week. Each time his sense of expectation had increased. Today he could hardly stand still for the turmoil of feelings he was experiencing. There was an overwhelming sense of anticipation, the gnawing anxiety that he was wrong and his knight was not coming back, the stomach-dropping fear that something would have changed and he was no longer wanted as a padawan. It was all he could do to stand still. Chersh had given up on him, muttering about obsessions and being no fun any more; Dan-Lo was already away with his new master on a mission. Thom waited alone.

A speck grew on the face of the sun. The whine of shuttlecraft engines became audible above the constant drone of Coruscant's traffic. The speck enlarged until it blotted out the sunlight, and Thom hopped aside to allow the shuttle room to land. He waited impatiently as it settled to the ground. The ramp hissed open and finally a figure appeared at the top, walking down out of shadow into the daylight. Barin looked smaller than Thom remembered: small, and tired, and worn.

"Thom," said the familiar voice. "How did I guess? You must be as hard to shake off as a case of Corellian flu."

Thom looked down a little- down? When had that happened?- and studied Barin's face. He thought back to an occasion a year before. "Tough mission, huh?" he asked.

The knight's head turned, as he suddenly seemed to find the Temple buildings intensely interesting. There was the twitch of a muscle at his temple as his jaw tightened, a movement of his throat as he swallowed.

"Hey, s'okay," Thom said, grinning. "You're back now. And /next/ time you're gonna have me around to help you." Barin still didn't look back at him, and Thom's next word was quiet and uncertain. "Right?"

//Things have not changed. He still wants me.// Barin clutched at the tired trickle of relief, doubts crowding at the edges of his weary mind. //I will let him down. One day I will fail to keep control, I will give in to the Dark Side, and I will lose him.// Barin pushed away the fear. The fear itself was the first step towards making that a reality; a step he had taken before, a step it would be all too easy to take again. //How in the Galaxy did I get the idea I could actually take a padawan? Me?// He found himself turning back towards Thom, telling himself that the boy would be better off with almost anyone else.

Thom stared back at him, eyes full of hope, anxiety, trust and determination.

//Why does he have to be here? Why now?// Barin touched the barriers of icy

11. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    The will of the Force or the will of Thom Capella...that was a good line. I liked the way Barin told Thom that he wasn't used to this Master business and he would probably get some things wrong. (Good snapshot potential there--Thom deliberately disobeys, and Barin overreacts.) I liked the whole thing, Barin looking small and tired and worn, and wishing Thom weren't there so that he could creep away and get himself back together, the way he told himself to swallow the pill and get used to the fact that things are different now, and especially the "feeling" of destiny. Thom is as indestructible as ever! The year of waiting doesn't seem to have changed him much.

Did I understand correctly from TLST that Chersh never gets taken as a padawan? Poor Chersh.

I do hope you finish that snapshot soon.

12. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    A year later?!? My heart thumped loudly at the that. and yet.. yet to know Thom had continously made his way to the shuttle park, feeling his master would be coming home gave me such hope.

I also liked the Barin's thoughts of The will of the Force or the will of Thom Capella but I loved the handshake and the fact that Barin's heart was singing a song that was finally in tune with the rest of the universe.

That was outstanding!!!

I hope the story of Barin's past gets finished for I hope that it will also make Qui-Gon and especially Mace (I'm still seething after his reaction to Barin's request of a padawan) be less hostile to the young knight!

Thank you so much for sharing this story with us Haigan and I hope to see alot more of the adventures of Barin Truhfinder and Thom Capella. :) :) :)

13. Emma3Jane

Emma3Jane Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2000
    Haigan!

I just got the time to catch up.....and the story is finished! :eek:

I can't believe that Barin was away for a whole year (!). But their fledgling bond is still there, helping one to heal and one to grow. Just like your teaser promised : "a story of friendship, healing, and Corellian fast food. " Yeah--that one sucked me in when I started reading this story.

I *did* also like the way Thom used 'the means at hand' to have a go at his attacker. Pizza as a weapon.... LOL!

I get the sense from this story that while An-Paj figured it all out & had gotten the Council to act on it, and offers his friendship, that Barin remains aloof and doesn't really go after the offer. Right?

So *do* please finish that snapshot where Thom (& others) find out Barin's side of the story, and what he has had to deal with / heal from. I can only imagine how difficult it would be for Barin to trust *anyone* enough to talk about it.

And will we find out *just how* the Council decided to reinstate Barin--as a Padawan or was he just offered the Trials to become a Knight?

Great story! Can't wait for your next.
    E3J

14. Sarah_K

Sarah_K Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    YEEEHAA!! I finally got my own user name!

I loved that epilogue! Especially the 'ya stuck with it now' line.

By the by HaiGan, the more Barin/Thom stuff you write, the better I'll be pleased! ;)

Sarah >^,,^<

15. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    *Breathes a sigh of contentment*

So nice! I loved it, the way that Barin thought that it was impossible for him to take Thom because he might turn and then the way he realised it was too late and he realised that Thom had had already broken through his defenses.

Great Post HaiGan!

I loved the entire story, it was sooo cool!

Huggles
    Kithera

16. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    :( Oh, bittersweet! But such a good ending!

(You go, Depa! Stop letting Mace push everyone around like that! I KNEW I liked that girl! And I loved Saesee's comment on "destiny.") I liked the Council scene, and I loved Barin's shock at finding out that they said yes, and I love Thom waiting patiently for "his knight" to return. I am willing to bet Barin has a lot more champions in the Temple than he realizes!

I wonder if Thom will find out for himself about Barin's past...I suspect that inquisitive mind will lead him into all sorts of dark corners, and that he will then be able to lead poor Barin OUT of them.

I'll echo everyone else...there MUST be more!!! (Meaning sequels. Of all kinds. Sequels are GOOD).

--Renata

17. HaiGan

Nov 7, 2000
    Thank you all again, for reading it and for letting me know you enjoyed it!

Jane, Chersh doesn't find a master, no- but he's still around and might make an appearance now and then.

E3J, If Jane will let me (Jane? Will you let me?) I may yet write a snapshot where Barin takes up An-Paj's invitation to dinner, if I can come up with a good idea or two for it. I hadn't actually thought of writing a story or snapshot about Barin's re-acceptance into the Order, although I do have a pretty good idea of how it happens. It would make sense to actually write it, though. I might have to think about that one. :)

I'm going to try and work on the other threads I'm involved in for a bit- The Lion Sleeps Tonight and By The Sea Shore are the obvious ones, although I have ideas for Dex, Lies and Holotape as well. There's a post for the Xanatos Snapshots awaiting editing to take in some of Kit's comments on it, and a snapshot covering Barin and Sara's first meeting after Barin's return to the Temple that seems to have stalled (Kit'? Any new bunnies on that one?).

I've picked up Truth Hurts again- it's coming along well so that might appear for the weekend.

But while that's all going on I'll be brewing ideas for a future story. There's several possibilities, so I thought I'd start a poll and see which one people would like me to work on. I probably won't actually start writing for a couple of months at least (I'm moving house soon, and I /do/ need to spend time on those other threads!), but that doesn't stop the bunnies from biting! ;)

18. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Yes, of course I'll let you write the snapshot where Barin takes up An-Paj's invitation to dinner. Let? Actually, I'd like to -make- you! I'd also love to read the story about what happens when he returns to the Temple and gets re-instated and all that.

I am clenching my hands to fists now, wishing fervently that it was the week-end and that "Truth Hurts" was finished so that I could read it immediately. *growls with impatience*

Thom's holonet page looks very spiffy! Hope to read his adventures there soon!

19. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    HaiGan I really loved this story! I love seeing Barin and Thom working together. They both seem to balance each other out.

I can't wait for more stories about them! Kepp those bunnies a-nibbling! :)

20. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Renata: <on the phone> "Right, that's thirteen crates of lettuce, six crates of carrots, and nine sacks of Jar-Jar's Patented Qwik-Gro Rabbit Chow. Good. Address...okay, it needs to go to HaiGan-- H-A-I-G-A..."

21. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Ahhh, HaiGan, I can only echo what the others have already said! That was wonderful, heart-warming, fantastic, and just what we've come to expect from you. :D :D :D

22. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    I agree with everything that's been said, too! More more more more more more...when you've got the time, that is! :)

Gotta love the crispy toated jedi and the jelly worm man!

23. HaiGan

Nov 7, 2000
    Part one of that snapshot is up on the Jedi Snapshot's thread:

Jedi Snapshots 2

24. HaiGan

Nov 7, 2000
    Hupsy-daisy, before letting this sink unto the depths of the boards. 'Truth Hurts' is all finished now, in case anyone missed it. There are also new piccies of Barin and Thom up on Thom's holonet page, if you haven't seen them yet: Thom's Holopics

25. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I love the new pics of Barin and Thom! They're perfecly how I've envisioned them!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.