main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"You can say that again"--Favorite fanfic lines, volume ?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DarthIshtar, Aug 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Hey, this sort of thing was my favorite back in 2001 and it got locked, as did the 'sequel' I found. If this is already going on and I'm just clueless, let me know, but let's get the ball rolling. It's a combination humor thread and fanfic recommendation service.

2. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    A couple from each of the sagas to start us off:

Before the Saga:

?I realize that we?re expected to stay in the Temple for a reason. But do you really want to raise an apprentice who?s sheltered, and unfamiliar with the real ways of the galaxy??

?And shaak nuggets will fix that??

?Shaak nuggets will help.?

~Ty-gon Jinn, Swings and Roundabouts

"Obi-Wan Kenobi, when did you became such a killjoy?"

"I am not!"

~AthenaLeigh, Swing it, Jedi

The Saga:

Wes claps his hands, ?Great. Let?s get started and find your dream girl.?

The music picks up tempo and the two men look toward the hatch when Princess Leia steps onto the deck wearing a long white senatorial gown with her hair in two buns to the side of her head.

?Welcome,? Obi-Wan greets the princess.

?I am Princess Leia of Alderaan,? Leia introduces herself. "It is a pleasure to meet you."

?What?s wrong with your hair?? Obi-Wan walks around the woman, staring at her hair.

?If I didn?t wear it this way, they said I wasn?t allowed on the show and my home planet would be destroyed.?

?Hmmm... hard call,? Obi-Wan faces the princess again.

~Kettch_the_Jedi, Will ANyone Marry Me?

The second tremor was more of a harmonic vibration. It was the sensation of two things so closely matched that they resonated whenever they came in contact with each other, like a tuning mechanism responding to an instrument. The resonance was so perfect that he might have been recognizing an echo of himself.

But the curious thing was that it did not find its match in Lord Vader. The curious thing was how it was in harmony with Anakin Skywalker, the part of him that never quite disappeared, though it was so buried that there were times when he could not remember it being a part of him at all.

At other times, however, it took over everything, made it so he could not act, could not think, and could not find the darkness that gave him strength.

Resonance with this being that was so unfamiliar and so breathtakingly himself accomplished that without even having seen the person.

But before investigating further, before he even thought to view the security tapes or hunt down his doppelganger, he knew what he would find.

A son, not an enemy.

A Skywalker, not a Vader.

A strength in the Force rather than the abberation that Darth Vader was.

And that meant myriad things.
    ~MerryWLukefan, The Enemy Within

Beyond the Saga:

"I'm sorry, Princess. I'll have him outta here quicker than you can say 'Palpatine sniffs monkey butt'. I didn't mean to impose on you. And I really should have asked you before I agreed to let him stay here. I'm so sorry, sweetheart."

When Leia continued to glare at him, he added, "And?? I, uh, I uh, I k?know I kinda t?take you for granted sometimes. I'll do better, I promise. In fact, the kids and I will take care of all the chores around the house for a few days."

Leia cleared her throat.

"A few weeks."

She cleared her throat again.

"A few years."

She merely stared at him.

"Forever. Until the day we die."

"That's better."

~FamousAmos, Dazed and Confused

Jaina believes in circles. Nothing Jaina does is of free will ? as has been pre-ordained. Nothing she does is new ? it has all been done before. Jaina is a pilot, and a Jedi, and a leader. She is the child of pilots, and Jedi, and leaders. There are no beginnings, no endings for Jaina.

Jag believes in lines. He does everything of free will. Everything he does is new (at least for him). He is the son of a woman who became a renowned actress from her roots as a working-class refueler?s brat, and a man who went from a dirt-farmer to the assistant-s

3. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Linkage would be good!

And no recommending your own stuff, that's just tacky. :) Do what the pros do and pay someone to promote your story! :p

*Derisa*

4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oops, I promoted my collab without remembering... Silly me.

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Linked. Any other takers? Come on, this is fun!

6. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    One of the more glorious fics ever written. Her language was poetic, lyrical and devastating.

From Marnie's What is my Heritage?

Finally, still shrouded in ice, Qui-Gon folded smoothly into the posture reserved for the most abject apology - on hands and knees, face pressed into the floor. "Young One? Child?" Punish him wrongly I do, refuse him what he wants, accuse him - groundlessly - of harming the Order, and apologize he does? Yoda crouched and touched the lowered shoulder. There was no tremble; little sense of anything in fact, only a withdrawal so profound it was like touching the event horizon of a dark star. Yoda had encountered such a thing before only in suicides, and it shook him. How had it come to this?

"Master," the voice too was desolate, "Please. I can't bear this any more. I struggle every day, only to disappoint you by being who I am. I know you want me to be somebody else, and I can be. I will be."

The mask slipped, enough for Yoda to see that it was a kind of suicide being offered here. "I can do it, Master. I can be the kind of Jedi you want me to be. It won't be real, but maybe that doesn't matter. I can do it. I can make you proud..." A flash of wordless terror quickly mastered and released, "If you ask."

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Wow, link, please! I learned how to do it, so I'll keep doing so, but link!

8. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Sorry Ish, I haven't been able to figure out how to post an excerpt and do the link at the same time. It's there now.

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks, diane.

10. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Another writer with a glorious vocabulary, wonderful plots and characterizations

LuvEwan from The Broken Cadence Rolls

The shrieks shot through the silence like glass shards, lunging into Qui-Gon's awareness and sending him flying, without thought, from his bed. His lumbering steps echoed in the narrow corridor, in time with the repeated word in his head.

'Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan.'

He burst into the tiny quarters. The high-pitched cries were amplified by his proximity. Qui-Gon could hear them resounding in every inch of his body, standing every hair. His desperate movements knocked over a chair and cracked a holodisc, but the din was lost under the riddled rain of his Padawan's senseless screams, and he would have trampled through hot coals, if it would have brought him to the boy's side.

11. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    This author writes incredible plots, stunning characters and uses lyrical language to get her message across

red_rose_knight from Tale of A Jedi: Volume 2 Birth of a Sith Killer

A bright spike of white pain pierced her heart as she gasped and drew a hand to her mouth but the sound had already escaped. She had imagined he still bore the wrapping to protect his scarred back.

Horror laced through her like ice as she spied the ancient characters drawn in his skin from between his shoulder blades, down the gentle curve of his spine before vanishing beneath the waistband of his leggings.

?Does it look that bad?? he asked, but did not turn to face her. When there was not an immediate reply, he added, ?A little shocked? So was I the first fifty times I viewed the recordings. In my head it is worse than when Kavara carved it into me. I am branded as meat.?

Not meat.

Feeling weak, the muscles in her legs gave out and she sank to the ground, the thousands of pebbles shifting beneath to accommodate her. ?She did all that,? she whispered, pressing her hands to the ground for support.

Ben?al lit up with a grin. ?All but the round hole next to my right shoulder blade.? He pointed to the lower of the two impaling wounds on his chest. The one just off to the side of his sternum. With that familiar fire bleeding through the façade of a broken man, he said in a prideful tone, ?I did that myself.?

12. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    This is from Diane's fic Betrayal which is one of the best fics that I have ever read to date.

Beautiful work Diane! You always keep me coming back longing for the next post!

Worry about meeting his old Master, long-buried guilt at letting Qui-Gon down and the more recent anger at the Council for forcing him to this subterfuge, swirled about his head like some malevolent swarm of demoniac ghosts. *Cursed by Master Qui-Gon if I do and condemned by the Council if I don't. I hate this...I hate it.*

The Jedi closed his eyes for a moment, the troubled frown deepening across his face. This was certainly not what he had expected. When assigned this mission, the Council had said that Qui-Gon Jinn was a successful businessman, not a farmer. *A farmer! And with a family. Blast!! I knew I should have said no. I just knew it.* Kenobi growled deep in his throat, furious with that Sith-begotten Council. It was too much, the pain of potential betrayal too great. He snarled again. *They did this for spite and now I'm trapped. How am I going to do this?* Shifting into immovable stance, determined to control the careening emotions, he breathed deeply once, twice. *Do what you must, Kenobi. Duty first and always.*

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Excellent excerpts, all, and I've gotten directed to two great fics by this!

14. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    This has been a stand-out excerpt for me. I've never forgotten it.

From Betrayal by dianethx

"The silence in the landspeeder was absolute. The uneasy quiet between Master and apprentice had grown as their vehicle arrowed toward the soft haze of the distant spaceport. It deepened even as the night's second moon rose over the dappled hills and painted the far, jagged-toothed mountains in a pearlescent light. The breathtaking scene, a doubled-vision of black and white, did not relieve the tense stillness within.

Atel's face was its own landscape, sketched in lines of moonsglow and black and green, the instrument panel's reflected light patterning across her brow. Eyes hooded, mouth hard, her stress-cramped hands were stark with ivory outrage as she drove towards the port. Unaware of her turmoil and battling his own behind duracrete shields, Obi-Wan sat beside her, his figure outlined in chalk and charcoal, staring pensively and still into the vastness of space.

From An Untimely Frost by cynical21:

"Obi-Wan?" The Master stood very still - very tall - wrapped in his own unique variety of dignity. Judgement was at hand - and he would accept it with grace and without a single indication of the pain it might engender - even if it killed him. If it did, it would have to kill him later; he would NOT allow Obi-Wan to see it - to feel the responsibility for the pain.

Obi-Wan turned to peer out into the growing twilight, his profile softened somehow against the lavender gloom of dusk. "What do you expect of me, Master?"

Qui-Gon sighed. "I expect nothing, Padawan. And all I can ask of you - is justice."

"Justice," echoed the youth. "A strange word for what lies between us - don't you think? Can there ever be justice between us?"

From The Song The Stars of Morning Sung by cynical21:

"But we detected nothing like this within the palace - or the marketplace at Phirudis." Master Ramal had poured himself another glass of wine, but a wink - and a gentle voice within Obi-Wan's consciousness - offered reassurance.

~{{Don't worry, Young One. I'm not so thunk as he drinks I am!}}~
    [face_laugh]

15. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    From geo3's Brother Mine

• Lessons come when the need for knowledge arises

• Jedi don?t lie.

• A calm mind holds no expectations.

• A Jedi approaches the Force as a partner, not as a supplicant.

• A Jedi seeks only the light.

• A vision is a foreshadowing that indicates a task

• A Jedi does not hesitate to choose, or to act.

• A Jedi does no harm to others.

• A Jedi trusts the Force, and finds a way.

• Visions are one way that the Force communicates with those who can listen and understand.

• A Jedi is master of his feelings.

• A Jedi?s only family is the Order.

• Jedi don?t dream.

• The path of the Dark side is treacherous and forever will dominate one?s destiny.

• A Jedi knows only compassion.

• To clear the mind, the attention must be brought to the here and now.

• A Jedi trusts in the wisdom of the Force.

• Luminous beings, are we.

• A Jedi serves the Force.

• Fear leads to the Dark Side.

• A Jedi trusts the Force.

• Each individual destiny is woven from countless strands.

16. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    This is one of the best vignettes I've ever read. I can only recommend it to anyone who doesn't know it, yet.

obaona's Vivid Storm

It was the rain that made Xanatos realize that Obi-Wan knew he had come home. Obi-Wan hated the rain. It was cold, wet, and miserable, he told Xanatos in an affronted tone. Which, of course, only made Xanatos drag him out and train him there, instead. After a few unhappy rainy days, though, Obi-Wan had pulled out of his sulk, and watched Xanatos. Xanatos loved the rain; he didn?t ignore it, he embraced it. He loved the feel of it running down his body, loved the way it made him feel, loved swimming in the sea when it rained, because it seemed like even when he broke for the surface, he was still in the sea.

Xanatos taught Obi-Wan to love the rain.

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    From Jemmiah and Co's A Night to Almost Remember:

"There they are!" Sybelle grinned hugely. "Have you any idea how terrible this looks! No wonder people are staring at them!"

"Where?" Jemmiah craned her head round a stack of synthi-silk under-slips. Her mouth dropped open. "What the kriff is Simeon doing with that bra!"

"I?m so glad we brought the mini-holocam!" Letina gloated. "This is just TOO funny. Kenobi looks like he?s given up the will to live!"

"Hey!" Jemmy frowned. "He?s trying his best?no! Don?t you dare get me those?those?things! You could go sailing with them!" She sighed with relief as she saw Jay Abran replace them on the shelving.

"How come men don?t know anything?"

"It?s biologically programmed into them?" Kylenn hazarded a guess.

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    okay, here comes my tribute to the archives...

From My Mother's Dress:

Suddenly, he sees me. His pacing stops, and he looks at me. It is the same look that I remember from Coruscant. It is a look that stops my heart.

Please don't look at me like that.

Why not?

It makes me feel uncomfortable.

I know I must finish preparing, but I cannot bring myself to move from his view. Finally, it is he who breaks the bond as C-3PO steps forward, announcing the arrival of the Holy Man who will perform our marriage rites.

It is only wedding nerves, I reassure myself as I move from the balcony and tenderly lift my veil from the bed. I place it carefully on my head and turn once again to the full-length mirror.

I stand silent for a moment. My fears are gone. I know I am doing the right thing.

I love him, and he loves me.

Taking a deep breath, I smooth my veil and stare at the young woman I see before me.

"You look beautiful," I whisper to the reflection.

I pick up the tiny lace cloth from the bed where I had discarded it earlier, and my breath quickens as I begin to make my way to the courtyard, filled with elation and an excitement for our future.

...but still, it is not my mother's dress.

From The Breaking Point:

"I should've died in his place," Jaina said, her voice a pitiful choke. "He would never fall like this. He would take what he was given and make it better." She whirled around to stare at me with wide, searching brown eyes. "I've heard that pain is like clay?you can make something beautiful from it, or you can sculpt the darkest creatures? It all depends on the artist." She swung her head back toward Anakin. "I've never been much good at making pretty things."

"But you're good at fixing problems," I pointed out softly, hoping my words wouldn't upset her. Upsetting her was hardly my intention. All I wanted to do was help her mold her pain into beauty. I believed she could turn herself around; it was all a matter of whether or not she believed in herself. I resolved to follow her, doing all I could to push her gently onto the right path, until she reached her breaking point.

But I loved her too much to watch her destroy herself. And I loved her too much to destroy her.

"Fixing problems," she repeated, very softly. "I can fix holoprojectors, I can fix hyperdrives, I can make sure a navicomp works, but not this. Not this." Her voice grew louder as she continued. "This is different, okay? This is my brother!" She gestured frantically at the corpse with its pale face and disheveled dark hair. "This is the brother who shot food at me across the table! This is the brother who rigged one of my comlinks to play lullabies all day! This is a part of me! How can it be gone?"

From The Loud Exhale:

The sound began to repeat itself slowly but each time the snerk got louder and louder. Someone was breathing rather noisily in the next room and that someone was Master Qui-Gon Jinn.

Snerk-wheeze-hiss.

Snerk-wheeze-hiss.

SSneRK-wheeze-hiss.

Bant started to giggle but stopped at her friend's rather pointed glare. "He is pretty loud, Obi-Wan. Is that what you are talking about?"

The boy put up both hands as he tried to keep her quiet. "No, it gets worse. But we should go..."

SSNeRKKe-wheeze-hiss

Garen was suddenly very interested. Darting past Obi-Wan's frantic attempts at holding him back, he moved quickly to the Master's door and gestured for the others to join him. "Let's wait and hear just how loud he gets."

SSNeROKKe-wheeze-hiss.

Sighing with defeat, Obi-Wan nodded. But as the three huddled around the open door, peering in at the still-sleeping Master, the sounds began to quiet once more.

Finally, after several moments of silence, Garen grew impatient. "Guess that's it then. Not bad, not bad but I know my Master can do better."

But, on the last word, the hoarse sounds within the darkened space abruptly increased. And it was getting noisier by the moment.

SSSNEROARKee-wheeze-hiss.

SSSNEROARKKee-wheeze-hiss.

The chaotic cacophony beg

19. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Favorite lines, let's keep it pithy. :)

I'm partial to anything out of Hai Gan's mouth, myself...

Though the best line came from one of my readers, commenting on my story: "There is nothing as persuasive as a large Wookiee."

20. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    If we're allowed to quote replies, then I must post one of Jane Jinn's comments while betaing a story for me.

"Holy flying banthas, yes!"

21. jags_gurl

jags_gurl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Ahhh, and who can forget the infamous "SOLO! GET YOUR DAUGHTER OFF MY SON!" from Mira_Terrik's Rebel Hearts Trilogy? :D

that's one of my absolute favorites!

22. the_jedi_princess

the_jedi_princess Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    Yes. No one could forget that one. :D

23. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    I liked this line from Force Help Me! She's Pregnant...

Anakin leaned back in the chair and rubbed his eyes. ?Who would have ever thought that two tiny human beings could reduce a galactic senator and a Jedi knight to quivering masses of exhausted jelly?? he said in astonishment.

?My mother,? Padme said with certainty.

24. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    From Abby's A Twist of Fate

Without further thought, Kyp leaned in and captured her mouth in a kiss. Jaina melted against him, allowing herself to be carried away. Kyp held her close to him, possessively, as his lips sought to know hers, while Jaina?s fingers snaked up into the trailings of his dark hair.

Then a few posts later....

"But from what Jag tells me, you?ve already received quite an adequate tongue-lashing from Kyp Durron." Wedge said.

[face_laugh]

25. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000
    Sorry, I couldn't choose which one I liked the best... so here's a huge list! :D These are all from various stories in the Jemmiah Chronicles...

"It's not my fault I have idiot friends?well, one idiot friend. Come to think of it I'm not sure he is my friend. But he IS an idiot?"

- Dex Berlingside of Mace Windu (Jedi Snapshots, It takes one to know one, by Jemmiah)

"A man should always have the final say in the house. That is why it is important he shouldn't be allowed to speak in the first place."

- Flint (Jedi Snapshots, A Broom With A View by Jemmiah)

"Hormones are of the dark side of the force. Hormones lead to trouble. Trouble leads suffering. Suffering leads to chemical suppression. Have you got that?"

- Qui-Gon Jinn (Jedi Sanpshots, Beard: Part One by Jemmiah)

"You've never liked beards." Obi-Wan huffed at her. "You're just being irrationally beardist!"

- Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi Snapshots, Beard: Part Three by Jemmiah)

"There's too much blood in my alcohol stream."

- Obi-Wan Kenobi (Lions and Tigers and Padawans, Oh My!

?It?s a question of mind over matter...I don?t mind and you don?t matter.?

- Healer Apprentice Simeon Cates (Lions and Tigers and Padawans, Oh My!)

"Stop groping my Gundark." The voice growled, muffled by the pillow.

- Jemmiah Gleshan (The Lion Sleeps Tonight)

"The moral of the story is: if it stands up to take a pee - don't trust it."

- Jemmiah Gleshan (The Lion Sleeps Tonight)

"Temple Rule No.1: Thou shall make your padawan's life a misery."

- Qui-Gon Jinn (The Cruelest Cut Of All)

"Sith, a Corellian that does work! We should have you stuffed!"

- Mace Windu (A Night To (almost) Remember)

"I've worked out why padawans walk three paces behind their masters! It's so they can't hit them!"

- Obi-Wan Kenobi (Someone to Watch Over me, by Jemmiah & Mouse)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.