main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters You Can Take the Farmboy Off The Farm... (Luke Skywalker Characterization)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by EmilieDarklighter, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    This should be a great challenge! Lots of little Lukes crawling and/or walking around? What could be better. Okay, maybe sweaty Dagobah Luke but that is another challenge altogether! [face_laugh]

2. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    LOL, I'll file that away for future use. ;)

3. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    HA. The Sweaty Dagobah Luke Challenge. Now that's a keeper. *cracks up royally* :p [face_laugh]

4. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    ThePariah posted on 4/12/05 7:41pm
    HA. The Sweaty Dagobah Luke Challenge.
    [hr][/blockquote]

Oh my.......
    *fans self*
    BRING IT! [face_grin][face_blush][face_love]

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Oh yes, Sweaty Dagobah Luke always gets my vote. Of course, I like "all in black and looking very Jedi" ROTJ Luke, too.

Okay, here is my entry since it was deemed acceptable.

To Love a Child

6. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh yes, Sweaty Dagobah Luke always gets my vote. Of course, I like "all in black and looking very Jedi" ROTJ Luke, too.

=P~ [face_love] Either one is fine with me...:D

7. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Any other responses to the challenge?

8. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Is anyone planning to do this challenge? If not, I'll close it and open up the next one.

Here's a discussion question:

What chracteristics do you think Luke got from each parent, and which parts are just uniquely Luke?

9. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Trace and I are going to do a baby Luke, we should have it up sometime this weekend. It's just a short vig.

I've always thoght Luke is a kind of both of his parents. Definitely Padme's compassion and her gentility. Also her faith in people. Of course the impatience comes from Dad, and the powerful Jedi stuff. ;)

10. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    I think Luke got blessed when it came to his temper--he gets angry just as intensely as his father, but the duration of the temper--the instant sorriness--comes from Padmé. I think it was Anakin's tendency to stay angry that got him in trouble. Leia got that, though.

11. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I think Luke got blessed when it came to his temper--he gets angry just as intensely as his father, but the duration of the temper--the instant sorriness--comes from Padmé. I think it was Anakin's tendency to stay angry that got him in trouble. Leia got that, though.

I completely agree with this statement. Leia is a lot more Skywalker in her temperament than she would like to admit. Luke has Anakin's fire, but tempered nicely by his mother's reason. At least, IMHO.

BTW, I finished my entry. And I am so looking forward to the viggie that was PROMISED! Right?

12. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    An up...

I've always thought that there's a lot of Beru in Luke, especially in his empathy for others. I know she's not a parent, technically speaking, but anyway... :p

13. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    I've always thought that there's a lot of Beru in Luke, especially in his empathy for others. I know she's not a parent, technically speaking, but anyway...

Oh, I completely agree. Genetics certainly do play an important role in determining someone's personality, but so does environment. I think Beru, and Owen, too, deserve a lot of credit for how well Luke turned out.

Luke is a compassionate person, and he has an inner steadiness, a sense of security within himself, that Anakin did not have. But how much of that is inherited from Padme, and how much comes from his upbringing? Compassion and empathy can be inherited, I guess, but they can be learned traits as well.

The old nature vs. nurture argument, I suppose. And just for the record, I'm not arguing that the twins didn't inherit a lot of their parents' characteristics. I've always been fascinated at how Luke and Leia are such a mixture of their parents, but yet unique, too.

Kristeh

14. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I agree that Beru would have had a huge influence on Luke. How could she not? I think even Owen was instrumental in his devotion to family and how hard he worked. Luke was never a slacker. :D

15. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Slightly OT-

For the Luke/Leia and Luke/Vader fans: If you haven't bought your ROTS soundtrack with the bonus DVD, run don't walk to get it! :D

All the DVD tracks are wonderful, but two of the best, IMHO, are the Luke/Leia "A Bond Unbroken" and the Luke/Vader "A Life Redeemed." OMG folks!! :_| You have to see it to believe it!

16. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I'm a believer of both nature and nurture... So I think that while Luke definitely picked up on some of Owen and Beru's traits (steadfastness, compassion), he also inherited traits from Anakin and Padmé as well. That way he's really a mix of all four people...with even a bit of Ben/Obi-Wan mixed in, if you take his Jedi training as well.

17. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I've always pictured Luke to be a good mix of both Anakin and Padme. He definitely has his father's sense of adventure and impatience along with that sense of rebellion against any percieved injustice. From Padme he most definitely gets his compassion and unwavering devotion to those he loves. Owen and Beru instilled family love, something that Ben and Yoda couldn't have given him. They also instilled humility in him, and that was perhaps the most important trait of all as it and family love paid off in the end.

"A Life Redeemed" is a Luke/Vader fan's dream come true. :_| It's the first time I've ever seen so many people agree on one aspect of Star Wars in my life. :p And let me just say, if you do it with Ian McDiarmid's intro, it's even more powerful. Both the intro to "A Life Redeemed" and the last montage with the awards ceremonies are wonderful. It wraps the whole saga up beautifully.

18. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    *sigh* I can't wait to get it.

19. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    NEW CHALLENGE

Because Luke is a man-hunk, ;) I hereby declare the Sweaty!Luke challenge to be open. The challenge is to write a story about Luke being all manly and sweaty from the female perspective. The female can be Mara, or anyone else you like. It can be a complete stranger, a Jedi student, or even an unhealtily obsessed GFFA fangirl. ;) It can certainly be SweatyDagobah!Luke if you want it to be, but there aren't many females on Dagobah, so...:p

20. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    NEW DISCUSSION TOPIC

So, in correlation with our new challenge...how do you think Luke would deal with all the fans he must obviously have? Especially the fangirls? ;)

21. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    *small pout* But I was all ready for a dead!Luke challenge ... :p

And he beats them off with a stick, of course. But only when the local galactic Longs Drugs is short on fangirl repellant and Han's not willing to loan him any. He is, after all, a nice guy.

EDIT: Yet I can't help but think "But what about psychotic!fangirls?" [face_thinking] Anyone ever read Stephen King's Misery? The one where the crazy former nurse woman kidnaps the narrator and holds him hostage so he can write a book just for her? :p

Hells. I would so kidnap Luke Skywalker if I was a completely hypothetical GFFA fangirl. O:)

obaona has a lovely story about a such a 'fangirl', if we can call her that. She doesn't kidnap Luke Skywalker, but she ... well, she takes drastic measures.

If you can read character death and severe angst without flinching, click here for "Way of the Dead". (Emmi. DON'T click.) And here's the older version (as in the Dec '02 kind of old).

EDIT II: Great. Now I want to write homicidal!fangirl fic. *snort*

22. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    He would blush endearingly, stammer out an excuse, and flee for his life (or his virtue, whatever might be in danger). But Luke Skywalker would of course be quite well known and would have to deal with fame. Hmmm...the farmboy celebrity.

23. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
    how do you think Luke would deal with all the fans he must obviously have? Especially the fangirls? ;)

The same thing Monty Python's Knights did when faced with the carnivorous bunny:

RUN AWAY!!!!!!! [face_laugh]

Ok, seriously, now somebody HAS to make a humorfic Luke parody of that famous Coca-Cola ad of the businesswomen ogling a sweaty construction worker outside. [face_mischief]

24. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    I've read Way of the Dead once, and only once. I don't plan to do so again and oba knows this. ;) And she knows I love her anyway. ;)

So, ladies...any story ideas? ;)

25. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
    ^^^ *points shamelessly to aforementioned ad parody* :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.