main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

You Don't Bring Me Flowers Anymore - Han/Leia AU, vignette {Announcement 5th Feb.}

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Amidala_Skywalker, Oct 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Howdy! Since the Han/Leia Awards thread starts tomorrow, it gave me inspiration to write this not-so-short vignette. Those who read my work regularly know I never write anything short :)

My gratitude goes out to my two beta-readers, KnightWriter and AngelQueen. Thanks for taking the time to look over my piece.

I hope you enjoy what you?re about to read, and I haven?t disappointed any of you. Bonus points for guessing where my title comes from.

?You Don?t Bring Me Flowers Anymore?
    Han/Leia, AU

Summary:
    For twenty years, Han Solo and Leia Organa have been separated by forces beyond their control. Now, as they come together one last time, they must make the largest sacrifice of their lives. They must let go and end the affair for the greater good.

. *. * . * . *.

Coruscant had changed. It had been years since Emperor Palpatine, and subsequently, Mon Mothma had inflicted terror on the galaxy.

Han Solo hadn?t liked it then. He didn?t like it much now. Never before had he seen such a diverse, thriving metropolis transform in such little time. With the scourge of oppression lifted, the people of Coruscant had decorated their planet like a child?s toy on Life Day. It wasn?t what he had expected or braced himself for ? pleasantries were unanticipated in a place where everything had been so austere. Where exactly was he? The question echoed in his mind. Around him and as far as the eye could see, smiling faces greeted his glances.

However, the projection of security formed by the government didn?t interest this particular individual, nor did the friendliness of the open atmosphere ? rather, he was bound to a duty he himself had established. He had prepared himself for this mission, and no matter what he encountered, he knew how to stand proud - despite what had been stripped from him. He hadn?t made a commitment to this world, or with the New Republic. Han Solo had abandoned this galaxy long ago, and had relegated it to his most distant memories. Even if this revolutionary flux swept through every inhabited world for light-years, everything Coruscant stood for was in his past. This venture wasn?t going to alter his perspective, and he intended to never let it change the judgments he had previously formed. Coruscant may have donned a new exterior, but within it still bred of the rebellious days of scum and lies? where different species were forced to fight, steal, and kill together for their survival.

Overcoming the Imperial rule had been difficult, and many had given their lives to the cause. Decades later, nobody remembered the heroes, and surely no one spoke of the wretched villainy transposed by either side. Han had begun to wonder what had changed since those years of conflict; only those who had bore witness to the disaster could form a conclusion.

Nothing. Nothing was the answer.

Behind all this was an unstable benchmark of management, perched on the breaking point. These people ? these citizens ? were as unaware as they had been nearly thirty years ago.

Was Han Solo bitter at the state of the galaxy? Yes. Did he have cause to despise those he had never met? Yes, for he blamed their fanatical regulations on the shreds of life to which he still clung. They had reduced him to a rugged outsider, eliminated his contacts, and forced him back to a single Outer-Rim prison planet. The world was more of a holding cell, dedicated to containment, and never freedom ? that justified his use of the word ?prison?. Surprisingly enough, he had learnt a lesson from his imprisonment there, and had even come to notice how that sector of the galaxy refused to accept rule handed down to them by mindless bureaucrats.

He had found himself in the company of those who had also been evicted from their former positions ? many of whom had served during the time of Emperor Palpatine - and were required to expand into moisture farming. The one-time smuggler could even declare them his friends, as they were one of the few supports he permitted himself to lean on. It

2. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    :::wipes away a tear::: Poor Han! Poor Leia!

Poor Chewbacca! Poor Luke!

Very good, Amses!

:::places a new crown on Amses Head:::

3. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2002
    <sniff> that was so beautifully written A_S...<sniff> i don't usually read h/l but i really liked this one...<sniff> excuse me, i think i need to go bawl now...
    up!

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    :_| Am, that was BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Words really cannot describe it other than beautiful, fantastic, wonderful, incredible, *picks up Thesaurus* extraordinary, marvelous, astonishing, amazing, remarkable, and astounding!

Two Thumbs up, M'dear!

5. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I'm not . . . I'm not

Oh damn!

:_| :_| :_| :_|

Oh, Am. How sweet and poignant. Beautifully written with such perfect detail. So, so sad - but I love the ending, with so many dead for Han's promise and Leia's mistake - and then he moves on.

:_| I loved it! :D

6. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    Well.... that was kind of sad. ;)

An interesting AU. Very descriptive.

Good job! :)

7. Darth_Fruitcake

Darth_Fruitcake Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    Wow. Just... wow. That's all I can say. I'll try and return with more intelligent feedback later, but right now I'm simply in too much awe.

8. Padawan_Travina

Padawan_Travina Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    WOW!!

That was great...Good job..

I loved the emotion you wrote for everyone..its was perfect..

Cant wait to read more of your work

PT..

9. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Well, you know my feelings about the idea of Leia marrying anyone but Han. COPL was the worst Star Wars novel I ever read!

But I love the title of this fic. Very poetic!

:D Kitt

10. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Wow, this was an awesome fic. The descriptions were excellent, the story line extreemly plausible. You did an great job keeping it in line with what we know about the SW universe, Amidala_Skywalker!

I have to say, it's one of the best AU stories I've seen regarding this time line. I really enjoy how you got all of Hans' emotions out... Their reunion was so touching, I had my heart in my mouth!

Excellent job!

11. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Very, Very cool!

I like it! ;)

Kithera

12. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

You know, I don't like AU.

And I don't like romances, either. Especially not the Oh Han / Oh Leia kind.

But you're a legend, AM.
    The best love stories are always the ones where they don't live happily every after.

13. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Neil Diamond and Barbra Striesand's song of the same name, right?

So, what can I get for these bonus points? :D

Well done, vignette by the way Am.

14. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    *smiles* Indeed, this is a wonderful vignette, Am. I don't often read Han/Leia stuff, mostly becuase there seems to be so little of it, but I never turn down something that's been written by you! :) :D

*blinks* Of course, that might have something to do with the fact that you spoil me with just enough to leave me hanging over a cliff. :p ;)

Liz: *grins innocently* Maybe you should ask Am about my reaction to Luke's fate. *tries not to cackle*

Again, absolutely beautiful, Am! :)

AQ

15. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Argh, double-post!

16. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Good heavens to betsy! Yeekers! Wow!

Good writing, Am - so sad...

Luke, killed by the woman who would otherwise have become his dear wife...

Leia, married to a Hapan prince, a part of her heart never complete...

Han, imprisoned for decades, his life broken, contacts gone, abandoned by the Rebellion he helped against his better judgement...

No Anakin, no Jacen, no Jaina, no indication the Jedi Order were ever reformed...

And Artoo and Threepio, GONE! :_|

17. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    *pats Dart on the back* I know. I screamed when I read that part about Artoo and Threepio.

AQ

18. Darth_Fruitcake

Darth_Fruitcake Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    Sheesh, over DROIDS? I cried when CHEWIE died! ;)

19. Lady_Moonbeam

Lady_Moonbeam Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    This story caught me on the quick right away--how all the time through Courtship I was worried that Leia might choose Isolder--and it was tear-jerking, thought-provoking, and other such things with hyphens.

I love how even after twenty years, they never forgot that they loved each other--even though everyone else in their life that had mattered was dead. It was one of the most beautiful, poignant, and melancholy pieces I've ever read.

(Not quite "pyscho-angst," but close) :)

20. Jedi_StarDust

Jedi_StarDust Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2002
    Wow, Am. I've been searching far too long for the correct definition of bittersweet and I think I've finally found it here. I loved how the scenes in your vignette seemed to have been encased in the happiness of reunion, yet was still suspended over the unhappy truth of reality. It was interesting how if you read only a passage from your vignette, one would assume that it was a happy one-- but this is only true if you don't look at the entire context of your story and the galaxy as a whole. More reasons as to why they might as well use your vignette for an example of the word bittersweet in Webster's dictionary. ;)

One thing I liked especially was the metaphorical flower you used in the piece:

Her eyes became misty, and she moved to gentle fondle a nearby flower. Nature responded by blowing the exquisite creation into her hand. The yellow petals quivered ? a touch of feathery soft material - all connected at the centre with a hive of faint brown. The large stem grew from the ground, deep blue meeting fluorescent yellow, and both looked at peace with one another.

Such beautiful writing!

:_| *Wipes tears* Poor galaxy! Excellent job, Am!

*Dust*

21. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Oh wow... What a great fic. This was absolutly incredible. Poor Luke and Chewie. They're dead. :_| And the driods too! :_|

22. Heather_Skywalker

Heather_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 13, 2002
    Gosh! Everyone's taken the words I was going to say, but I'll say them anyway. That was wonderful. How sad, though, like Obi Angst, it fits the characters. Such an amazing vignette, the lenght I didn't even notice.

Another beautiful job Am.
    -*Heather

23. DarthSnuggles1121

DarthSnuggles1121 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    *sniffle* *sob*

Am, that was so beautiful! Such a bittersweet ending... and a very original idea! Your descriptions were incredible, and the dialogue was very fitting for the mood of the story. That ending was just phenomenal... :_|

Oh yeah - "You Don't Bring Me Flowers Anymore" - Neil and Barb. Great song. ;)

24. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh......

That was beyond beautiful. You captured Han and Leia perfectly, so sad, yet so sweet, and the ending.....

Wonderful.

25. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    You did a great job here, Am. Realistic and good description. Clearly, you're ready to tackle that other story ;).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.