main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You guys are a little too uptight....

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DarthMoves, Apr 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMoves

DarthMoves Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 2, 2002
    Aside from DaftMaul, every board member here freaks out over repetetive posts, warez posts and "newbies" not up to par to "forum ettiquette." It is silly. This should be a resource for everyone who needs info. No one should be afraid to ask anything here.

okay, censor me now and lock it up.

And, NO, I am NOT trying to stir anything or "get myself noticed."

2. Digital_LlamaCH

Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2001
    Thank you for that blanket statement of discrimination. If you're not trying to get noticed, you're doing a really bad job.

-Chris

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    This should be a resource for everyone who needs info

No it shouldn't. Warez is illegal, and so is banned from this board. No exceptions. This forum should be as its creators intended. If you don't like it, don't post here or go and create your own forums

4. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    "...every board member here freaks out over repetetive posts...<etc>"

No, not everybody does. The few that do are unfortunately a much more vocal minority. And, sadly, sometimes they are justified.

I don't think I've ever jumped on a new member for any reason. Please don't judge the whole by a few of its parts.

-tm

5. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    I think you are referring to Clones' recent post.

First off, even Azeem took notice, and all his decisions are undisputable. The guy was asking everyone to do everything for him without reading the EXCELLENT resources at the site.

THe point is, alot of people worked really hard to provide these tutorials that the site hosts, and when people don't even bother to look and just come here first, it is unfair to the person who took the time to write a detailed review of the subject.

Cya
    Mike

6. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    Ahhh! I'm freaking out! :eek:

Kidding. Here's where I sit with respect to the whole thing: there is a standing policy on the boards concerning warez. I didn't make it, but it's there, and that's the way it is. It's simply not a topic for discussion.

Regarding repetitive posts and/or newbie bashing -- I actually agree with you. There are a lot of folks that want to be the board disciplinarians and take every opportunity to act as police -- and I honestly find that kind of behavior more annoying than the questions that they're responding to. On the other hand, I'm a big believer in trying to find out information on one's own, especially when material is so plentiful on the internet -- I do have to sigh when I see someone post a question like "how do you make lightsabers glow?" when you can hardly take a step on the internet without tripping over a tutorial on the subject. The question obviously comes from someone who hasn't tried to find the answer, they want the work to be done for them.

Perhaps it needs to work both ways. Newbies to the board who haven't been around to see the five-billionth request for information about which "rendering package is the best?" need to understand how people that have frequented the boards for a long time might regard such questions as tiresome, and those that have been around need to try to remember what it's like to be new to the whole game, and not really understand where to start.

7. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    I... dont... agree with what the guy said... but thats me.

I think i'll go be uptight now...

:p

~DK~

8. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    Lord Rive is absolutely correct in his assessment.

Chris
    Welcome to the Internet Age

9. Waylynne

Waylynne Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2001
    hmmm... I just read the title of this post and felt a great disturbance in the force, like thousands of sphincters contracting at once...

:eek:

10. citizen

citizen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 2001
    I somewhat agree with you, and the forum. There are people that post smart remarks other than responding to the thread's needs. I for one reduced my replies to only those who need assistance with 3D applications. I feel bad for those who need help on an issue, but refrain from posting. I think anyone that gets stuck on a issue should feel confident that he can post here, and not get grief about it. There is alot of talent out there that some day may return a favor or two, but avoids the forum because the members are a bunch of jerks(not directed at those who use this place for its intention). You shouldn't burn bridges regardless of how stupid they are in the beginning. Don't reply if you cant be useful, and I don't care how long you have been posting here. It seems to me there are those who come here to get the latest on Fanfilm releases, and those who come here for support. Any chance of a split forum? Leave it up to the mod's to guide their attention to the FAQ or mention that it was already posted. Most forums have a thread that stays at the top for Newbie FAQ. Its the best place for the link cause thats the first place a newbie would look. If the powers at be can't arrange that then the members of this thread can. Just post the link to the FAQ section, and everyone pitch in by bumping the thread to keep it at the top. As far as the "W" word. It should be dont ask dont tell.

11. Thesabresmith

Thesabresmith Jedi Master star 1

Aug 31, 2001
    AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH thats funny. (The sphincter post) Ditto to everyone above except for the author of the origional post.

G'night.

Oh, by the way i am working on a website designed especially for newbies (Or anyone) on how to do just about anything connected to Jedi or Sith... so i will be happy to take any questions or suggestions about Lightsabres, costumes, martial arts and the like...

i'll let people know when it's up and ready.

Oh yeah and that last suggestion was good, i tried to do something like that with the forum for the film i am producing.

12. Plague

Plague Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2002
    I cant believe i actually read this one, you wanna cry about people bashing on newbies about what posts you put on here and everything. Let me guess you live in a world were no one gives you greif about anything??
    Get a grip and get used to it, you are going to get ripped on for one thing or another whether you are a "newbie" to a area or everyone doesnt like your opinion on something. It happens and its going to happen thru out your life. Like what they say or type on here about you is going to affect your life.
    Just take it with a grain of salt and move on. It doesnt really matter if someone likes you or not or if they agree with you or not.

13. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    Methinks Lord_Rive should be nominated for the Fan Film Nobel Peace Prize!

[face_smile]

-MJ

14. Zayn

Zayn Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 1999
    "Pardon my French, but TFN is so tight that if you stuck a lump of coal up there ass, in two weeks you'd have a diamond."

Im sorry... I couldn't help it...:)

when you get a board this big there have to be rules or no one could ever find out the real info they needed

15. Thayne_Correlles

Thayne_Correlles Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 27, 2000
    Beuller?... Beuller... anyone?, Ferris beuller.... anyone?...

Thayne

16. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    Perhaps the moderators or whoever has the power can remove stupid posts like "How to make a saber glow" and send the newbie a PM anout the tutorials on TFN and elsewhere...

We were all newbies once. This is like upperclassmen beating on the Freshmen, just because...they are freshmen...

Lets all just love each other, we're all fans, just at different technically apt levels ;)

17. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    So... Plague, let me get this right. If there is a problem, you're saying nobody should do anything about it and just deal with it?

18. Plague

Plague Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2002
    When it comes to something as trivial as this making fun of "newbies" and getting mad cause you are not allowed to post stuff about warez stuff ummmm yes. The part of being a newbie is just something that is going to happen yes you can get upset about it but to let it get to the point to were you are going to post something on here about it is a little ridiculous.
    It happens to all of us no matter how old you are heck im 32 and I still go thru it on here and off line. When it comes to online stuff you are going to get ripped on whether you are a newbie or a regualar on the posts.
    If you are going to say something to were it rips me, oh well that is your opinion and not mine but im not gonna let it get to me were im going to post about being ripped on.

Again you might not agree with me but this is just my thoughts....

As far as warez stuff well that is a given that most sites will not allow that so you should be ready for stuff like that not to be accepted.

19. AdmiralMowk

AdmiralMowk Jedi Master star 2

Jan 13, 2002
    Wait a second...Warez is free?

<The Admiral starts to download 3D Studio Max>

Oh...it's illegal...nevermind...

<The Admiral quickly ends downloads and feels bad for breaking the law>

Any way, to get on topic, I think the moderators are justified in their actions. I mean, they are MODERATORS. It's their job to make sure...stuff...doesn't...happen.

Okay, it's to early in the morning, or late at night, to express what I mean intelligently, but you get the idea.

Peace Out,

Mark "The Admiral" Rosenthal

20. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    I somewhat agree with DarthMoves. Sometimes I do feel intimidated about posting. I see over and over people jumping on us "new" guys for posting a redundant topic. I ALSO AGREE WITH LORD_RIVE. If you haven't at least looked for your answer yourself, then don't expect someone to do it for you. I just think we all could ease up a little on each other. This IS supposed to be fun right? That's just my two cents anyway.

21. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    Is this forum about trying to get a response to your topic?

If so, good luck! I've been in the same boat since I joined and don't get very much response here.

22. Superchunk

Superchunk Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 7, 2000
    Maybe down the road a search field could be used so the newbies can look up older topics before posting a new one? Whenever I join a message board I look for the Search feature so I'm not posting something that's been talked about over and over.

23. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    <<Sometimes I do feel intimidated about posting. I see over and over people jumping on us "new" guys for posting a redundant topic>>

A topic is only redundant if it is pointless. This can mean one of two things:
    - The topic is off-topic to begin with or just makes a statement that needs no reply
    - The question has been answered to it's fullest extent and cannot be expanded on.

In this case, you do get the odd poster who thinks it's a great idea to keep the topic on the first page, as happened with my "NickLong's TF.N SuperHeroes" Thread (see sig for link).

I even requested the topic be locked after certain members (they know who they are) didn't heed warnings and requests from various people to stay on topic.

Secondly, you shouldn't feel too intimidated to post, you should realise that the visitors to this site are from very different Worldwide cultures with different views, beliefs and morals.

Sometimes people use online personas to make up for things they cannot get in real life. They are usually for the best, but sometimes for the worst.

Users of the Internet have to realise that these people exist and really have to take into consideration that with the internet, these "bullies" can post things without any repercussions to themselves because of the "electronic detachment" the medium provides.

The best option is just to shrug these "bullies" off and realise there's no way they can really know what you're like or do anything about it.

If you DO have a problem with a specific member, then send a Private Message to a moderator, preferably related to that forum. In extreme cases, you can send an e-mail to jc-admins@theforce.net for a more immediate response.

I hope this helps you out with a bit more insight into the community.

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

24. swmaster

swmaster Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    Maby someone could start their own web board for ware.. , I mean extended trials so people can learn new programs.

25. Sauja-Dupen

Sauja-Dupen Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 1999
    I've never hidden my feelings on this one.

I agree with the intent of the original post, if not the letter of it. (simply remove the word "warez" and replace "every board memember" with "too many board members".

I also agree with Lord_Rive. People should be encouraged to do things for themselves (encouraged, not forced). Except we have no idea what research the poster has already done, poor wording often hides true meaning, and we are often too quick to judge. By the time the "newbie" gets around to clarifying his original post, he or she is already engulfed in flames.

Until there is a usable Search function on this board, I hardly see how you can blame anyone for repetitive posts.

and as for Plague I think we mostly agree about Warez, but to say "newbie-bashing" is trival, is absurd, sounds like what they used to say about civil rights. "It only sucks if you are newbie, tough". I don't buy it.

Regardless of how old you are, what you know, what experience you have or how well you can articulate your problem, every member of this board, every person, is entitled to his or her fair share of respect. They deserve the benfit of the doubt. They deserve to be informed of where they should start looking without the parting shots of sarcasm and cynicisme that usually accompany the "experienced" board member responses.

I wonder how we would respond to these same questions, if we were standing face to face with the person asking the question, I seriously doubt it resemble what we see here, thanks to the anonymity and detachment the board offers us.

Nuff Said

Sauja

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.