main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph You have the ability to inspire great fear: The Sinestro Corps War!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Soontir-Fel, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    [image=http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Aprl07/previews/Gl_Sinestro0001.jpg]

[image=http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f350/BigRooster2o8/Sinestro_corps.jpg]

[image=http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f350/BigRooster2o8/7957_400x600.jpg]

[image=http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f350/BigRooster2o8/7958_400x600.jpg]

[image=http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f350/BigRooster2o8/7822_400x600.jpg]

What wiki says

What I say.

Oh hell yeah. This is the event I want to see. Thousands of superbeings fighting their counterparts for the sake of the entire universe? Hell yeah. It's going to be meaner and greener then world war hulk, and feature far more attacking then Amazons Attack.

Plus it will feature Guy Gardner ******* **** up and that is always good.

2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I was really excited about this, until I heard that Kyle Raynor is going to become Parallax.

Ugh.

That's like Gwen Stacy sleeping with the Green Goblin...

3. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Besides that I'm super stoked for this. :cool:

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Raven just made me hate this event 5 seconds after I discovered it was occuring.

Sinestro does rule though, could be good. Though I am getting worn out on events..Crisis, 52, Countdown, Civil War, World War Hulk, Annihilation...when was there *not* a big event going on last?

5. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm looking forward to this series, but I agree with Marcus. It might not be so bad with just "Countdown" happening on the side, but we also have "Amazons Attack", and all three are following "52". Whew! That's a whole lotta epic-ness on one plate!

6. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Aside from the item that I highlighted earlier, the entire idea, the art, the writing, had me really excited. And then I heard where that plotline was supposedly going, and, well, yeah. Hopefully, the spoilers I heard were wrong, or this is something short term.

At least now I understand how Hal Jordan fans felt during the 90s.

7. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    I don't think Kyle is going to turn into Paralax.

What I do thing is that He is going to mess up something big. He has been built up as this supreme lantern, the Torchbearer, and some how he is going to fail and let a whole lot of people down. Maybe even let a bunch of people get killed, by accidentally freeing Superboy-Prime or something, who I believe is on the cover of the Paralax issue. Remember in Rebirth, Kyle was the only one who's will was wrong enough to beat the yellow impurity with no forewarned knowledge.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I haven't really been a fan of the DC universe, but I started following it more over the past few months and the Sinestro Corps is certainly a storyline that I'll be following.

And yes, there's a lot of epic stuff going around, but I think it's a good thing; not for the wallet, but for the stories. I grew up in the 80's and there wasn't much in the way of cross-overs, but there was a revolutions in the characters such a Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight."

9. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Miller wrote a Batman in DKR that became the characterazition for the character for the next 20 years and we are all poorer for it.

10. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    One of the most interesting aspects of this is that it's not just yellow v green, but a full fleged color space war. The Star Sapphires(Pink), the Reach(blue), and 3 as of yet unnamed factions

11. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Wow, any more crossover villains they want to put in here?

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000

Have you read the first issue yet?

13. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Seeing has how that post was made from before the comic came out, no.

And man oh man, that was a great issue. Never before in any event have I seen the odds so against the good guys. I mean there is no way that they should be able to win. The Sin Corps have Superboy Prime, Cyborg Superman, and the ******* ANTI-MONITOR on their side, plus 7200 and twenty recruits

And regarding KyleI didn't mind his transformation in Paralax, because he didn't give an inch. He was kidnapped, surrounded, managed to fight off the yellow ring, then beaten by dozens of corps members, then had his power ripped from him before getting infected with Paralax. There was nothing anyone could have done in that situation.

14. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Yeah, I had been worried beforehand too about Kyle becoming Parallax, but it was done in a very approprite and well written manner. It took the Sin Corps beating him both physically and mentally before he was able to be taken over by the entity, and even that was not without a struggle. And man oh man, things are stacked against the Lanterns BIG time. Why THIS isn't getting the major pub and Amazons Attack is is beyond me. This was awesome in every way whatsoever.

15. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    I don't really care how well it's done. Some things just shouldn't happen. Someone could do an excellent job writing a plotline where Superman comes home to find Lois Lane in bed with Lana Lang and Lex Luthor. I don't really care how well written a plotline dealing with how Superman deals with his wife's infidelities with his greatest enemy might be, it's not one I'm ever going to read. I feel the same way with Parallax. If, at the end, I find Parallax is defeated in a satisfactory way, I MIGHT pick it up in trade. Otherwise? no.

16. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    I haven't been the closest follower of DC the last few years, but this event seems fracking awesome enough to hold my complete attention. I love me some Sinestro.

If only bats had accepted, oh, the squeals of joy I would have made.

17. GavinStrife

GavinStrife Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    As for the potential factions in the war: Anyone keeping up with the Blue Beetle- Does anyone else think that the "Blue Beetles" or "the Swarm" whatever they will come to be called are one of the factions? If you read Infinite Crisis or the Blue Beetle titles, he seems to have some effect on the Lantern's rings... In the color system of green, yellow, pink- blue would make a nice addition, and they've obviously been recruiting...

18. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    They are called "The Reach"

And Johns is now saying that they have nothing to do with the color scheme. Damnit.

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    This is as good a time as any to post this from Geoff Johns. Spoilers are covered up.

SPOILER SPORT: GEOFF JOHNS ON SINESTRO CORPS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Vaneta Rogers

SPOILERS FOR GREEN LANTERN: SINESTRO CORPS

In blackest day ... In brightest night ...
    Beware your fears made into light.
    Let those who try to stop what's right...
    Burn like my power ... Sinestro's night!

That oath has been anticipated by Green Lantern readers for the last year, and in this week?s oversized Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps Special #1, writer Geoff Johns and artist Ethan Van Sciver introduced their promised Sinestro Corps, complete with hundreds of yellow, fear-powered rings, and setting up a story of cosmic war that will be featured in both the Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps titles this summer.

And as readers of the 64-page one-shot found out, there?s a lot more to this story than just guys with green rings fighting guys with yellow rings. Not only does Sinestro have some of DC?s most powerful and feared villains on his side, but there are several new discoveries for Green Lantern fans to soak in -- from the huge green entity who is the embodiment of willpower, to the spectrum of emotions and prophesies rejected by the Guardians of Oa, to the emotional possession by Parallax of yet another hero.

Plus, of course, cool-looking scary alien dudes. Lots and lots of cool-looking scary aliens.

But the real kicker? Among those evil Sinestro allies ? leading the whole thing, it turns out ? is one surprise villain that caused a collective jaw drop across DC's readership this week as they turned to the issue?s final page: The Anti-Monitor.

If your head is still reeling from a ?too-much-power? hangover after reading the one-shot, sit back and take a break as we hear from the writer himself about the issue -- and find out what other surprises Johns and friends might have in store for Green Lantern fans as the story of the Sinestro Corps continues.

Newsarama: Let?s start right at the beginning of this comic. It starts with that intense scene where Sinestro is stripped and looks defeated, humiliated. And you introduce the idea that Sinestro is really ticked off, in particular with Kyle Rayner, whom he calls the Alley Rat, right?

Geoff Johns: Sure. That all goes back to Rebirth.

NRAMA: Because Kyle?s the one who caused that scar in his back, so he?s seeking revenge on him in particular. And then he says the Sinestro Corps oath for the first time. I remember you teasing about that last summer. You must have had a blast writing that.

GJ: Yeah, that was fun. I came up with the oath like two years ago.

NRAMA: Did you really? That long ago?

GJ: Yeah. I was dying to do it, so it's the first thing I wanted to do. But yeah, the oath is a lot of fun. And it sets Sinestro?s motivations up right away ? ?those who try to stop what?s right!?

NRAMA: We also found out in this issue that the Guardians have known about the multiverse for awhile, which you implied way back in Green Lantern #13. But they describe the structure of the multiverse in a way we haven't really heard explained so simply before: There are 51 parallel universes that depend on New Earth and its universe for their very survival?

GJ: Yeah. You know, I wanted this one-shot to be massive and cosmic. I think Green Lantern has that range to go from grounded jet jockey or artist or architect to bigger than life Stars Wars-style adventure. We did Rebirth, and then we kind of settled down and re-established Hal, and now we can gear back up for the Star Wars-style cosmic story. But with this one-shot, I really wanted to design it as a very entry-level story, despite the huge concepts that we're using. So I tried to explain everything very simply and clearly -- the characters, the multiverse, the Corps, Hal, Kyle, John, Guy, etc. And Sinestro.

NRAMA: Right, yeah. Each of the key players had a small introductory narrative that explained the basics of who they are and wh

20. CyberFaust

CyberFaust Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2005
    i really hope and pray to god kyle doesn't die because of this.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    He's in the upcoming "Challengers From Beyond" Countdown tie-in, which takes place after "Sinestro Corps War". So unless he's still Parallax, he's not going to die anytime soon.

22. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Joins 'em, eh?

Here's hoping that that takes place after SW.

I've got to admit, it'd be vaguely cool if, in a climactic scene, Kylellax started muttering something like

In brightest day, Wha? in blackest night, NO! You cannot fight me! No evil shall NO! escape my sight, Let those who NO! I am in control! worship evil's might NO! Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000

Just to clear things up... I wasn't taking a crack at your initial thoughts, just wondering how you felt about what actually took place in the first issue.

Can't really say I was excited about this event after I read the first issue since I'm not really a fan of the DC universe and don't know the characters all that well. However, by reading the posts in this thread, it obviously is. I'll continue to read the series and see where it goes.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Ron Marz states that in the Parallax special, we'll see Kyle's point of view during Parallax's rampage and what he does won't be pretty. And he won't say when the Challengers From Beyond takes place.

25. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I haven't read any of it, or much about it really, but I have to say the concept of a Sinestro Corps is a really great one in itself. That costume is a good mix of semi-credible uniform and traditional super-villain wardrobe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.