main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You Know You're a Fan Fiction Reader When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    This is kinda to put off my You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

You know you're a fan fiction reader when...

You know your favorite authors more than your family.

2. PadawanRoo

PadawanRoo Jedi Master star 1

Aug 7, 2003
    -You've ever read an EU story and stopped, confused, becuase you're sure there's a continuity error, only to remeber weeks later that what you're remembering comes from a 'fic.

-You've ever refused to be introduced to someone because you're *sure* they're a Mary-Sue.

3. Handmaiden_Rabe

Handmaiden_Rabe Jedi Master star 5

Nov 2, 2003
    -You get different authors' plots jumbled together in your head to make one big story, and you can't sort it out.
    -You think your mom is Leia, your dad is Han, you are Jaina/Jacen, and your brother is Anakin.
    -You talk to your family about every fic you read, and they can't remember every one of them you've talked about.

4. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Your finger is glued to the refresh button because you just know one of your favorite authors is going to take pity on you and post at any second.

5. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    Your finger is glued to the refresh button because you just know one of your favorite readers is going to take pity on you and reply at any second. :p

Edit: Oops - forgot we were talking about reading, here. [face_blush]

Okay, then...

Words you didn't really give much thought before, like "characterization" and "canon", now wriggle their way into practically every one of your posts.

For freedom. For justice. Viva la Rebellion.

6. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    ...you stop reading a story (especially an AU) because the characters behave "out of character" according to how you see them. [face_not_talking]

7. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    You see a thread asking for help writing about a particular character and you are half-way through typing a reply when you stop, think, and realise you can't remember if the character trait was established in a novel or in a fanfic.

8. PadawanRoo

PadawanRoo Jedi Master star 1

Aug 7, 2003
    -"What do you mean that's not in the deleted scenes? how could Lucas forget to include 'The Only Question?' Oh, yeah... that's right."

9. Yun-Harla_loves_Jag

Yun-Harla_loves_Jag Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 23, 2004
    ...When you are not aloud to talk about Star Wars and fanfic around your friends because they all know you will go on forever about this relly great fanfic you just found.....

(all my real life friends hate star wars it sucks)

10. Mjsullivan

Mjsullivan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2003
    -When you're convinced that the plot of every single new movie you see has been done before with a star wars twist in a fanfic - and done better ;)

11. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    You've ever read an EU story and stopped, confused, becuase you're sure there's a continuity error, only to remeber weeks later that what you're remembering comes from a 'fic.

I've done that [face_blush]

-When you think one of your favorite fics is better than it's canon counterpart.

12. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    When, in just about every story you read, you think, "Man, why can't GL write like THIS?!"

13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Your ultimate goal in life is to have Sean Bean autograph a pic of himself in Jedi robes and sign it Sexy Dexy. (One of Jemmiah's OC's)

I've already got Barin Truthfinder... heh, heh...

14. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    --Someone asks you who your favourite author is, and you almost say [insert favourite fanfic author here].
    --you actually do say your fave fanfic author

--When writing your own story and you need to check specifics on lightsabre battling, you pick up the nearest SW book on your desk... before realising that the style you were thinking of was in a fanfic you read.

--you save fics you like to your own computer, so you can re-read them any time (and hey, it's useful when MST-ing... hehe)

--you always get confused about whether something was in a fic you read or an EU book, especially if said thing hasn't been explained much in EU.

15. AlphaTrion-TJW

AlphaTrion-TJW Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    -- When you're required to write a book report for English-lit, so you do a 10 page report on your favorite fic.

-- You use fanfic author names in the same breath as Hemmingway, Asimov, E.E. "Doc" Smith, and George Lucas.

-- You've ever written a fan-letter, not normal feed back mind you a honest to goodness fan-letter, to your favorite fanfic author.

-- You watch for updates/news to your favorite fic-series(s) more than you do for Episode III.

-- You're going to be royally ticked off if your favorite prequel era fic's OCs are not in Episode III

-- You have a crush on any OC fanfic character.

16. Mjsullivan

Mjsullivan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2003
    --you save fics you like to your own computer, so you can re-read them any time

Only an archive full of them ;) I maintain that some of the best stories, fanfic or otherwise, ever written are on my hard drive in that folder!

17. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    My mom has printed them up! obi_ew's Redemption series is in a set of folders. She takes them along with her "real" books to read on trips!

18. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    YHLJ, [face_shocked]Send `em over here, I'll have `em converted in 20 minutes! Ahem,
    You know you're a fanfic reader when. . .
    You can't read SbS because it confuses you too much, "but I read alot of books that say he's alive. . ."
    You check your computer every 5 minutes, because your favorite author said she'd post, uh, this evening, hey, she might post somthing early. . .
    You can't see Ewan without thinking "poor Obi Wan, how did he recover so quickly. . .OH!"

I'm pitiful, I know!

19. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    ...you stop reading a story (especially an AU) because the characters behave "out of character" according to how you see them. [/l]

Guilty.

...You're halfway through a story when you realize that you've read it already. Then continue reading happily.

20. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    You have a crush on any OC fanfic character.

[face_blush] And eventually you're married to that character, and your son gets his own story... [face_blush] Heehee. :D And then you stake a claim on that OC and protect him against the evil harpies who want to do terrible things to him. 8-}

You argue vehemently over things such as, how dare Obi-Wan say that, do this, kiss her ( :p ). And your arguments over charaterisation and plot and a character's actions are stronger and more in-depth than any arguments you could make about real-life issues. Like, you know, politics and stuff.

The highlight of your day is reading a new post.

You periodically go back and read an entire fic just because you like it. Or the slightest mention will send you back to it.

You could write a dissertation on your favorite fic, but analsying works by Hemingway, Dickens, Austen - forget it!

You expend so much energy at work just stifling your giggles while reading a post, so that the other people in the office don't give you funny looks. But if they already give you funny looks, then there's no problem in letting loose... 8-}

21. Agent_Jaid

Agent_Jaid Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 21, 2003

... when you struggle to find topics of conversation while in the car with your mom and you find yourself panicing because you just *KNOW* she wouldn't understand why you keep going on about how it really isn't (OC)'s fault and that s/he would be alright if stupid idiot Leia hadn't turne him/her over to the NR and that it really wasn't his/her fault - s/he was framed!! Really!!!

... when you spend an entire afternoon chatting with your best friend (who you met 'cause of your mutual adoration of a fanfic) about this thread and the one about being a Fanfic author

... when you are totally convinced that Aura Sing(sp?) is Mara Jade's mom 'cause one of your favorite fanfic authors changed the pasty alien to a human for a plot twist and you are totally convinced that she was right and Lucas was wrong

... when you your first thought upon wakeing is "Oh God, please let (fic name) be updated!!" and then jump out of bed and head straight to the computer to check

... when you can't stand to be without internet 'cause you just know the author is going to post like a billion times the second you leave the house!!

:p Am guilty of all of the above.... 2 & 3 are my worst.... [face_blush]

22. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    ... when you can't stand to be without internet 'cause you just know the author is going to post like a billion times the second you leave the house!!
    *raises hand* That's me! 8-}

You know you're a fanfic reader...

...when things that happen in RL consistently make you say, "That reminds me of something that happened in [insert story name here]..."

23. JAGSGURL15

JAGSGURL15 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    You Get Grounded when you bring up the word Star Wars, becuase your family is so sick of it

Your boyfriend/girlfriend has threated (most likely more than once) to break up with u becuase u have such a crush on a fan fiction character... OCugh Cough... THats me

U talk about ur fave author to ur family more than anything

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.