main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    . . . you were going to go with the average height of a female of a certain ethnicity but then you see that a tall female of that particular ethnicity is about the same height as a male from that ethnicity and remember how everyone assumes that the female character in question is a male, even her own people, and decide to make her taller.

pronker likes this.
  2. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    ...you have a great first line. But, that's all you got. [face_waiting]

3. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when you get in the ring with Ivan Drago and come out of your writing slump. Hopefully. [face_praying]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Exeter, Sith-I-5 and pronker like this.
  4. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when you defy convention and continue to post consecutively because no one else is.

...when a story that might get better treat in a one or two shot gets reduced to a handful of ficlets.

ThisIsMe1138 and pronker like this.
  5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    To self: "But who is this guy? He does things, but what is his character? Why would anyone be interested in him?"

Despair.

6. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    ....you swore you wouldn’t do the DDC again, but the moose is going “c’mon....everyone’s doing it!”
    ....but your OC is saying “no, write the story now!”
    ...while another OC taps her foot impatiently and wants to know when you’re going to introduce her.
    ...and your WIPs sigh, because here we go again...

ThisIsMe1138, Exeter, pronker and 2 others like this.
  7. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm not doing it. :p You'll make the right choice, I'm sure.

...when you finally start reading ff again and it actually helps with inspiration. Who knew? [face_devil]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  8. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    There ought to be a "Commiserate" button ... :(

9. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when Skywalker suddenly has so many potential meanings. :p [face_thinking] [face_hypnotized] and [face_devil]

10. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    ...when your Imperial Intelligence director, anticipates your half-elf retorting, "It's a temple, not a fashion influencer!"

pronker likes this.
  11. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    :)
    A fun time.
    When rumours and thin slivers of publicity spark imagination.

I've a half written story about Snoke's massive star cruiser. It was a sort of Lourdes in space where poor folk came to be blessed and healed.

Well, the reality of the Snoke story overtook my silly idea before I was finished.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  12. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    What a wonderful premise!=D=

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    When you have collaborations in the works, because genius is a magnet. I know talent. [face_love] :D

14. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    ... when you're trying to write a sickfic and your latest google searches are "what helps a stomach ache" "does ginger exist in star wars" "star wars ginger equivalent" "star wars soda equivalent"... And after an hour of research you realize that it was all for one word that you could have just taken out anyways....

To everyone wondering, soda in Star Wars is just soda. How creative. ;)

15. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when you are considering reviewing 5 years of the Drabble challenge to pick out your top 10 favorites. :oops::D [face_thinking]
    You know you want to, too...[face_devil] :emperor: [face_skull]

16. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    When the plot bunnies multiply out of control, and the majority belong to huge families of plot bunnies attached to a couple of wannabe epics that you can't get out of your head.

17. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    ....you finish reading a pro-fic novel and think “darn, I could have read a lot of fanfic in the time it took to read this”:p
    ...you’re happy you finally wrote something for one of your new favorite characters, even if it’s only a Character Interview answer.

18. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW you're unsure if you're experiencing a rhapsody, reverie, or rapture when you dawdle in your headcanon on a 89 degree afternoon.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  19. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    When you've watched the following video enough times that you are thisclose to writing "fanfiction" (that would fail to be really either fanfiction or original work) about some of the characters:

20. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    .... When it's 2am and you know you should be sleeping but instead you're googling pictures of Ewan McGregor crying for....erm... future reference.....

brodiew and pronker like this.
  21. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...When A:E is sticking in your craw but you can't localize your thoughts well enough to given certain elements a proper roast. [face_waiting] [face_devil] [face_plain]

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Sith-I-5, ThisIsMe1138 and pronker like this.
  22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    ...when you are waiting in a Subways (franchise sandwich shop ) queue, and your ears perk up because a customer and staffmember are discussing that the Romanian language (customer's girlfriend is Romanian), and the Portuguese language, "are very close".

O RLLY?

brodiew likes this.
  23. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    ...when books are so distracting to you that when you vistit the online page of a bookstore looking for contact data to send them an application you get lost for several mintues looking through the books on offer and forget why you came to the page in the first place.

24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    ...when you figure that she means "reverie", especially given the amount of times that you have disturbed characters out of their reverie.

It would have to be some pretty amazing headcanon to be rapture.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  25. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    I want to walk through New York Time Square, for an idea, even though I'd probably be completely freaked out by it.

But there is nowhere like that here in Australia.
    So I'm YouTubing videos of Time Square.

brodiew, Sith-I-5 and Findswoman like this.