main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    ...When Kirk, Spock, Mccoy et al are caught in the Bird Box.

...when the older woman and the younger man works better than the older man and the younger woman.

...When Spring is in the air and you are determined to provide some May flowers!

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    pronker likes this.
  2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    ...when you compose AND perform AND record a song to go with a story (and when it’s not the first time you’ve done so).

3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    You'll attach a YouTube yes?

pronker and Findswoman like this.
  4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    It’ll probably be a Soundcloud link, but yes, of course. I just have to get it uploaded and such. :)

5. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW your Youngest's friends know it too and present you with lovely Mothers Day gifts.

6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    YKYAFFWW TripAdvisor is giving you helpful popups about prices being out of date for the Los Angeles motel that you are looking at, because it thinks that you actually want to go there.

ThisIsMe1138, pronker and GregMcP like this.
  7. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ... When the EU is calling and you want to start at the end.

8. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    ... when you tell yourself that you're writing drabbles so that you don't daunt yourself but deep inside you know that it's gonna turn into a five page fic soon enough........

9. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    ...figuring out Mandalorian politics has you banging your head against the desk

10. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    When the muse wants you, a female, to write a [TOS breaking NSFW romance] scene from the perspective of the male....in the first person.

pronker likes this.
  11. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when you cant' remember how to change your avatar on another ff site. [face_whistling]

...when redheads from different fandoms are suddenly on the brain. :D

...when you said you were going to write one thing, but another bunny bites you. [face_devil]

ThisIsMe1138 and pronker like this.
  12. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    100% relatable.

ThisIsMe1138, pronker and brodiew like this.
  13. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Ditto. Especially when you have planned out, carved out time, choreographed scenes for, sat at the computer to write one thing, and immediately type something completely different.

Raissa Baiard and pronker like this.
  14. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW you adhere to AP style single space after periods for work purposes and writing fic with single space feels wrong, wrong, wrong, but you ought to get into the habit of using single spaces for all typing but it feels wrong wrong wrong:mad:

ThisIsMe1138 likes this.
  15. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    ...when this is you: I really want to get this chapter done!
    .....and this is also you: I will do literally anything besides work on this chapter.

Exeter, Thumper09, brodiew and 5 others like this.
  16. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    ...when your normal vocabulary of muses and mooses and bunnies hopping in the brain are getting you weird looks from your friends every time it slips out [face_dunno]

...when you know you're raising your 6 year old bro right when he says his biggest wish is to "make all my Spider-Man and Star Wars headcanons canon". Or when your 6 year old bro knows what those words mean in the first place.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Huh? That's confusing. [face_laugh] Good thing it's always wtw. (worth the wait) [:D]

You know you're a fanfiction writer/RPG player [face_mischief] when you read a novel and encounter a cool first name of a character and think: My next OC is getting that one.

... When you take notes on plot points on interstellar crises/hot spots/fires to put out and think yup, those are good to use in upcoming short stories/DDCs. [face_party]

Findswoman , pronker and ThisIsMe1138 like this.
  18. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    Or when your half asleep consciousness comes up with crazy yet cool fantasy-like names and you're just like dang why am I not this creative when I'm awake :_|[face_laugh]

19. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Or, as happened to me last night, it comes up with a cool place name like Wallagunga, Maine. And then even though I was half asleep, my brain was like, "Wallagunga sounds cool, but Maine? Why Wallagunga, Maine? Wallagunga sounds more like someplace that ought to be in Australia."

20. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    ...when you finish your test early so you decide to read 23 pages of a medical dictionary (I got to G. I came across the word "germicide" and started laughing during class......) and when you get weird looks you blame the fact that finals have made you crazy...... but deep down you know it's so that you can write more accurate fanfiction.......

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  21. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when you read Avengers:Endgame ff on another site that almost makes you cry, but doesn't because you rarely cry, but almost did. *wiped tear welling in your eye*

...when you enjoy writing introspection and enjoy writing dialogue, but aren't quite sure about dialinstrospection. 8-}

ThisIsMe1138 likes this.
  22. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    ...When you actually look up the word 'dialintrospection' after hearing it from another fanfic writer. :b

Findswoman likes this.
  23. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    So, what is it, exactly? Google, surprisingly, isn’t giving me a straight answer... :p

Togruta likes this.
  24. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    When you come across a fan site that inspires you to write the ORIGINAL pairing for your story, but you decided to go in a different direction for the new story. Originally, "Ballad of the Winter Rose" was going to have Thrawn/Clara Oswald, but PileofSith just screams Thrawn/Clara. I might throw in Jack Harkness/Ar'alanai just because. ;)

pronker likes this.
  25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    ...when you write 12th Doctor and Kate Todd fanfic, and your mind travels back to a short story you once wrote, and you realise that he ought to know her already, as you involved her in an attempt to save Rory and Amy from a Weeping Angel time paradox, while they were with the 10th Doctor!

pronker likes this.