main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    ...if the community intrest into something you suggested as a joke is large enough to me you consider doing it for real.

pronker and Raissa Baiard like this.
  2. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    YKYAFFWW...you have a huge test the next day and you need to study, but your mind keeps going back to your fanfic. So you decide if you can finish and post the current chapter your mind will allow you to study for your test . (By the way, it worked. I posted my chapter and was able to concentrate on studying. I passed with a 92%).

3. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Go you!^:)^

4. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    ....a fortune cookie fail inspires a story.
    ....you look for ways to bring more canon characters into your AU.
    ...you're excited because you finally get to write about that OC who's been pestering you for months.
    ....you swore you weren't going to enter the DDC, but you do anyway. :p

5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you realise that fanfiction is a complex thing and that the famous analogy with riding a bike cannot be used in connection to it. In other words, I have no flippin' idea what is going on in my own stories.

...you like all 100 posts in a thread with 100 posts.

...you look at the stuff from last year and realised that, in comparison to 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017, there was A LOT of throwaway trash and a break was indeed necessary.

...you are kind of confused that, yes, @Findswoman was right - people did not forget you while you were away, you stupid emotionally unstable melodramatic fool.

Mav edit: [removed]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2019
    Exeter, Anedon and Sith-I-5 like this.
  6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Oh good, I’m not the only one who has this problem.

:p

pronker and Anedon like this.
  7. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    On the topic of bikes...

...when every trip with your bike gives you ideas for at least one new story/character/plottwist.

8. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when the muse is like a flickering lightbulb, providing momentary jots of inspiration before going out.

...when an introspection bunny won't let go, but the subject matter is still working itself out.

9. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Some time at the pool inspires a Star Wars fan fiction about swimming lessons because what else would it inspire? :p

10. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    ...every on-line review of the new Star Wars land at Disneyland is considered research.

11. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    ....you finish your 150K word fanfic that took almost four years to write...and now you feel like an empty-nester. What am I going to do with my time?!

12. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    =D=
    ^:)^

13. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    ...you allways have too many projects going on at each time but aren´t able to decide to give one up in favor of others.

14. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    You selected a number in the OTP Challenge, when you know you have half-a-dozen WIP fics, and three RP games, with plans to join a fourth.

Hopefully I can knock this, or something, out quickly, to keep the workload level.

15. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    You enter a fanfic challenge and finish it in the same day because someone needs to stage an intervention and steal your laptop from you. Not that I'm speaking from personal experience here. [face_liarliar]

16. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when you write a fic that is not TOS compliant, for language, try to sanitize it, and it feels disingenuous.

...when your love of film and video store experience is very relevant to writing in certain fandom (Stranger Things).

17. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    ...you type K and you iPad’s predictive typing suggests “Kanan”, “Kanera”, “Kaz”, and “Karabast”
    ...autocomplete finishes YKYAFFWW...
    ...YKYAFFW and fan artist when you’re currently drawing your OCs...and your reaction is [face_love]

Sith-I-5, pronker, brodiew and 2 others like this.
  18. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Sorry for the double post but....
    ....you find “fan art” of Black Series Ezra and Sabine action figures having an extremely vulgar X-rated conversation, and you’re like “that’s not even in character”. :eek:[face_sick]

devilinthedetails likes this.
  19. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    When you feel like rehashing the level of responses, on other sites, to your recent offerings, decide not to, but do anyway. [face_plain]

devilinthedetails and pronker like this.
  20. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Double posting be darned!

...when your own writing about the grief of fictional characters brings tears to your eyes. Never been like this before. :_|

pronker and Raissa Baiard like this.
  21. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    When you're second-guessing writing a sequel because it's only chapter 1 and the struggle is real.

22. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when one of the Mods changes their colors and you you have you have get used to your entire web page looking a little different. :p :D

...when your muse is finally interested in one your favorite characters in a present favorite fandom.

...when you hope and pray that the Rise of Skywalker will give you something to write about.

mavjade , JediMaster_Jen and pronker like this.
  23. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW you reviewed your story notes yesterday to add/delete a few and the whole project makes you feel like Hercules fighting the Hydra
    [​IMG]

devilinthedetails likes this.
  24. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    When you should a left well enough alone with tier two. [face_plain][face_dunno][face_whistling]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Raissa Baiard likes this.
  25. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    ...you found a four-sided die online to roll, in order to prioritise your next efforts, and have managed 562 words towards your primary E-Branch WIP character background / book insertion fic, that was last updated a year ago.