main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    When DRL gives you a hard shake and your muse says yeah I just can't do it today unless you want Melancholy and morose.

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Once, someone wanted a link to one of your stories, but it did not result in a review.

One day, you are researching how to fly from Portland, Oregon to New York City; next day, you are trying to think through plot permutations to get a girl's father out of an Imperial prison camp.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    devilinthedetails likes this.
  3. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW you simply cannot "like" the previous 2 entries but send waves of commiseration nevertheless ~~******000oooo@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@~~~~ ` ` ` `

4. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when you recognize a pattern of adolescent infatuation with older, harder, complicated women over the course of your fan fic career and feel absolutely okay in continuing on with your bad self. [face_devil] [face_skull] [face_devil]

Edit:

...when your muse says NOPE to a body swap challenge element scuttling the response.

...when you write more sentences because you can't concentrate well enough to write more.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Sith-I-5, Pandora and pronker like this.
  5. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when the fifteen year itch to write something that will not fall within the TOS is becoming harder and harder to ignore.

...when said itch would likely be a one time outing to know that I could do the thing.

...when you hope said offering will be unique among the multitude.

[face_shhh]

pronker and Findswoman like this.
  6. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    ....someone shows interest in a long dormant WIP and you hope you can remember what you had in mind for the rest of the story :p

7. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when the explicit itch is blooming into something you don't have the patience to write.

...when the muse is running out gas, but the fumes are still getting you somewhere.

...when it's been fun revisiting the EU.

pronker likes this.
  8. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    brodiew likes this.
  9. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    You know you are a fanfiction writer when you really miss Thrawn McEwok. He talked me into writing on this board. Jedi_lover is my writing sock.

Wow! I used to talk a lot in that thread...or at least my other sock did.

Jedi Knight Fett, pronker and brodiew like this.
  10. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when you read page one of said revived page and find it a little [face_thinking] and a little :p and even a little :eek:, but especially [face_laugh].

...when another user brings up sex, which is the explicit itch my writing brain is simultaneously encouraging and rejecting. [face_waiting] [face_whistling] [face_shame_on_you] :oops:[face_dunno] :D

Also misses TMcE!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    pronker likes this.
  11. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    It actually makes me sad. That used to be so much fun back then. There was a group of people in that thread that became such great friends. That was before I got sick and then fell down a rabbit hole of despair. I even mention being really sick in that thread and then I disappeared from the boards (mostly) for a couple years.

Crap...now I am depressed.

I guess you know you are a fanfic writer when thinking of the time that you were so sick that couldn't bring yourself to write makes you really, really depressed. :(

Jedi Knight Fett, pronker and brodiew like this.
  12. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    when you want to write the fic you are battling in your head to cheer up a board friend. Even if your fic idea is for NSWFF. [:D]

[face_worried] =P~[face_shhh]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    pronker and Jedi_Lover like this.
  13. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    When you see a play of the Outsiders, and the music for it makes you want to write a fanfic set in the Clone War era even though you already have a WIP and a oneshot that you should be focusing on instead. Yeah, I don't know anyone whose mind would work like that. Certainly not me that I'm talking about[face_liarliar]

pronker, brodiew and Raissa Baiard like this.
  14. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ... When 1400 words into the explicit itch has you doubting its validity.

...When 1400 words into the explicit itch seems about 2/3 of the way.

When what you thought the explicit itch would be turns out to be something a little different but not necessarily bad.

Confused yet? Me too. :p [face_thinking] [face_blush]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    pronker likes this.
  15. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    May it never happen again!

thumbing through the thread and LOL at why Padmé wore beads to bed

Sith-I-5 and Jedi_Lover like this.
  16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    LOL! That was a wild thread.

Jedi Knight Fett and pronker like this.
  17. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Mind goes somewhere. [face_laugh]

...when you have the freedom to write a domestic mother and daughter scene and really run with it.

pronker and devilinthedetails like this.
  18. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when the explicit itch is complete at 2960 words, but may never see the light of day.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    pronker likes this.
  19. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    When you want to talk out some lines of dialogue to see how they sound, but there are people around, so you whisper it, and then the other people get irritated at you for whispering to yourself.

20. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    ...you think your iPad is suggesting fanfic ideas because predictive typing suggests your favorite character’s name to follow “Baby”.

21. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    If you don't mind the inflection lacking passion, wordcounterDOTnet has the 'proofread' function on the farthest right header dropdown where it says 'more'; you turn on proofread, which places forward and back arrows onto the header. Earphones could add to privacy.

Sith-I-5 and Findswoman like this.
  22. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    ...your One Sentence Stories want to be more than one sentence, but you’ve got half-a-dozen WIPs already :p

23. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW your Real Life (TM) work offers a chance to write about Star Wars and you snatch that order right out of the pool, baby.:greensaber:

24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That is so true. Some of those sentences were amazing!

25. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I'm so jealous. I wish my job gave me an excuse to write about Star Wars.