main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    ...When your personal fan theory turns out to be true and you suspect that a particular SW director is reading your fan fiction (yeah, not really, but one can dream).

2. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    When your fic is coming together in your head pretty well, but you're also going kind of nuts because you can't think of a title for it.

3. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when creating an OC from the Kef Bir First Order deserters suddenly reminds you that there is more to consider than just what is on screen. Ugh.

Mistress_Renata and pronker like this.
  4. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    When you wish Grammarly would just freaking work.

teamhansolo and pronker like this.
  5. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW you feel you simply couldn't do justice to a tea party fic based on canon because you don't know it that well, but you want to give the inspiration away to anybody versed in Battlestar: Galactica *either original or rebooted* from this item found in your pantry:

[​IMG]

EAD: The canon you're most familiar with is 1978's with the revolving red eye Cylons and not the sexy reboot human-appearing ones ... now you're picturing the black-armored Cylons eating crumpets and drinking tea ... perhaps with saucers and napkins balanced on their knees ...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Nice. Thank you for spelling it out.

I work in pensions, and discovered a "Rodian" pension scheme, the other day.

7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    ...when you use an office Bake Sale for the Australian fires, to cultivate information contacts for your own Oz-based WIP.

I've come away knowing about Jacaranda trees, Kangaroo Paw flowers, bats in trees; and that I drokked up earlier, providing a washer-dryer. Apparently, no-one in that hot country would ever bother with a dryer...

:oops:

That safe house garden that my characters are sitting in, is going to get a bit more detailed, going forwards.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Kahara, DaenaBenjen42 and pronker like this.
  8. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Huh... google refuses to give me the exact result I'm looking for, Re: that Cylon Black Tea, and instead suggests Ceylon...

Kahara likes this.
  9. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Oh that Google, it doesn't know squat.[face_chicken]

Kahara and gizkaspice like this.
  10. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    If you look closer at that Cylon tea pic of pronker's, the red ribbon on the left does say that it is "The Original Ceylon Tea People", so rather than complaining that Google doesn't understand you, perhaps look a little closer at what it is suggesting?

DaenaBenjen42 likes this.
  11. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Ahah, this needs backstory: the tea is from a 'dented can food store,' a warehouse with bins of unsorted products, mostly tinned or boxed goods nearing expiration date. There are many off brands, non-US products, and so forth, which have been relabeled with English data ... but that's not the case here. No labels added, simply printing on both sides of the box in the same manner, "cylon" and "Ceylon" with 'imported by Pure Teas of Virginia' on box's end flap. I'm sipping some now, good stuff, and the wiki regarding Steuart teas was interesting historical reading.[face_coffee]

Kahara likes this.
  12. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    ...you find a tab open with the search “gangrene symptoms” and instead of being horrified, you’re like “oh yeah, that was for that one scene...”
    ...you learn how to conjugate verbs in Mando’a.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  13. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW during pre-spring cleaning today, you discover a Siriwan fanfic laboriously typed out on the old word processor stand alone unit circa 2003, the one whose fuzzy print wheel printed S as § and you recall the inspiration for the fic was this Christine Lavin song:

Kahara and devilinthedetails like this.
  14. Callous Jedi

Callous Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2020
    The problem with Google is like everything else. Companies pay money to Google, so certain names, or, certain collection of words come to their websites.

pronker likes this.
  15. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    ...........when you have a really cool story idea with all the characters and plot established in your mind, but you're too lazy to write it out and wish some funky machine would pull your ideas from your brain onto the paper/computer but you're too lazy to invent said machine as well; anyways, when you finally try to put those words onto paper, they don't even come out right. Nooo! Why is this so hard!? Why can't stories just write themselves?! :_|:_|:p

amidalachick, brodiew and pronker like this.
  16. Minimilk

Minimilk Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2020
    You know you're a fan fic writer when you're playing hide and seek, then you stop, and think to yourself. I prefer a straight fight to all this sneakin around.

17. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW you're working in RL(TM) on a document to submit for Pay(TM) and a reference in the doc sparks a FanFicSentence, so you add it to the document in parens before it slips out of your head and before sending in the doc, you go over your work very carefully to take out the Perfectly Expressed FanFicSentence before adding it to FanFicFile.[face_good_luck] And then you hit Send. :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Sith-I-5 and Kahara like this.
  18. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when I've been here before (two good ideas, but no want to) and I'll be here again. [face_dunno][face_frustrated] [face_not_talking]

pronker likes this.
  19. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    More than half your lazy Saturday is devoted to fanfic writing and you have no regrets.

20. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    Trying to use my free found time, to expand my writing quality of my fanfiction by learning about plot, structure, and the beats of the story.

amidalachick, brodiew, Kahara and 3 others like this.
  21. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    ...when you've already wrote a two plus parts long epic story about the survival and redemption of a perviously fallen Solo son, years before #SaveBenSolo and the various stories inspired by that movement where a thing.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  22. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when you are chomping at the bit for the this week's drabble prompts and have been since last Saturday. [face_hypnotized]=P~[face_hypnotized]

23. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ...when the next thing you write is not a happy fluff piece where characters are debating the existence of Llamas and enjoying Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. (Darn it!)

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  24. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    ...when you sit down to work on a serious introspective piece with a character you've never written before that you are actually really excited to write but somehow instead you end up with a draft of a totally unserious thing with more familiar characters that's been nagging at you for a while but didn't demand to be written down until now. [face_dunno][face_laugh]

...when characters in different fandoms have the same name and you occasionally mix up the surrounding characters' names because you automatically associate certain names with other names. :p

25. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ...when you're actively wondering "can I make my drabble series cop show centric instead?"... (Would that I'd gotten plot bunnies about Eugene Tackleberry...)

Kahara and pronker like this.