main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    When a Shadow and Bone 2nd teir pairing had you thinking maybe...but NO.

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    [​IMG]

When you are redesigning the interior of an imaginary starfreighter to accommodate characters. Gods I am sad.

3. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    1) Does Skipper know you're redesigning his ship?
    2) Where's the cockpit?
    3) Glad Zephyr has a nice big room!

4. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    He does! I actually was talking to him about the layout cause I wanted to know where he was so Amber could talk to him and wanted to get her bearings after talking to Zephyr. It got into his head, and he's the artist! He started! I imagine we will be seeing the Valyria drawn professionally very soon! :p Cockpit is at the top. ;)

5. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW you dream you are writing, complete with editorial decisions, thusly: "Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi sneaked - snuck - no, tiptoed through the transport hangar as Ora Nobis - or Jenna Zan Arbor - shrieked "I'll make your end quick if you surrender!!"--- actually like this, leave it in --- as she flourished --- either her vibroblade or lightwhip, look these up on the Wook --- and clacked her stilettos on the duracrete floor." (No lie, last night was intense.[face_clown])

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  6. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    When you can't sleep at night as new ideas are coming to you and look terrible the next day and can't tell people the real reason! :eek:

7. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when you're listening to Dorkfish on repeat to get thru badness. (It was the first thing I snagged from the shelf.)

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  8. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW you own up to a yen for a story so specific as to time, place, and characters and look for it in vain on TFN, AO3, FanfictionDAHTNET and more obscure places, that you feel compelled to write it yourself, necessitating oodles of Wiki research.:-B

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  9. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    When you're trying to come up with an idea and it feels like there are both too many ideas and not enough.

10. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ...when you suddenly realize you COULD have set off a psychological incident with a cat. (Of the fauna native to Belsavis? Pittens.)

11. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    You know you're a fanfic writer when you don't put fanfic writing above your career per se, but sometimes you are tempted to do so.

Also known as you accept a job offer for an exciting new position, but part of you is also crying inside, "But when will I find time for fanfic writing?"

And this chain of thought seems very rational and natural to you.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Exeter, brodiew, gizkaspice and 4 others like this.
  12. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ...when three characters are unavailable and you don't have a good excuse to get the forth from Nar Shadda. (Really. I do not. Also... darn it.)

amidalachick, brodiew and pronker like this.
  13. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    This is why employers should create fan-fic days, days which you can take off because you need to focus on your fanfiction. It's like a vacation/parental leave/pet leave/sick days/whatever but just days for fanfic.

:p

14. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Double post but it's been a few days.

.......you kind of want to write this weird story where Elsa from Frozen has ninja brothers with ice powers and Star Wars is also there for some reason--not because it makes sense by any means and it's probably a really dumb idea....OR IS IT!? [face_thinking]

15. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    When you are at work and you go silent because you are mentally plotting the next move your character is going to make.

16. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ...when your list of "darn it" exists because some things you want to make happen in story present do not happen for six or seven years.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    amidalachick and pronker like this.
  17. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    ... when you intend Character A to be friendly with Character B and hostile to Character C... and then you get around to writing that chapter, and because characters have a mind of their own, it turns out to be the other way around and you have to adjust the rest of the story to reflect that.

18. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    You hear a song lyric that's perfect for a title. All you need is a fic to go with it. [face_laugh]

19. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    ...when you finally find the perfect actress for one of your characters.... only weeks after the main rpg she stared in ended. Well at least I have some fanfics with her as well.

amidalachick and pronker like this.
  20. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    …when hearing a song you haven’t heard in a long time makes you want to work on a story you haven’t worked on in a long time.

21. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Ooh, which song, which song? Do share! :D

amidalachick likes this.
  22. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Owl City’s “When Can I See You Again”, which for some reason makes me think of the next (unwritten) chapter of “A Diamond in the Rough”.

23. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    …when you randomly come across the perfect name for the daughter of the OTP you absolutely, positively weren’t creating children for.

….when you reread your old stories and wonder if you’ll ever write anything that good again.

24. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    When you have excellent, talented writer friends to whom you say, “Of course you will!” :D <3

25. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    ...When sudden onset inspiration is not to be taken lightly and exploited to the full before it fiendishly disappears without notice. [face_idea]