main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    YKYAFFWW.... you are so excited to find a new character/ship to reignite the muse... and then the canon completely destroys everything you love about them and you want to go nuclear on your own stories.

2. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Completely relate. Sometimes I wish canon would leave characters alone/just stop expanding/doing whatever that ruins them. I absolutely had a few stories I nuked because of this in the past.

3. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    A friend gives you an unexpected belated birthday present that includes a pen, chocolate, and alcohol. [face_love] You think that maybe, just maybe, you can use these things to finally make a story you don't hate! :p

4. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW you want to describe a slightly humanized bird sitting upright on a barstool, crossing its legs, so you thaw a chicken *you're going to cook it anyway* and pose it.[face_chicken]

5. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    WOW. That is creative. I would probably just look up "anthropomorphic bird sitting on a stool" or something (Google is the answer to a lot of life's questions :p) but that's taking a huge step to actually understanding the anatomy and pose for a story.

Also....
    You write a cat story and then you realize a lot of other stories must be told as well because now there are many questions to answer, such as the grand opening of Boba Fett's very own ice-cream shop with cat and Star Wars themed ice cream. Would flavours such as the "The Mangolorian" be a hit? Yes, this is important to know.

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    You bought a book on the history of Scotland for your epic winding family saga of Clan McDuck.

7. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    ...when you want to buy the new Lego Star Wars just to create your OCs in the character editor...

8. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    . . . you have an unwritten POV, but the place it’s going to go is marked, because you have too many unanswered questions about when the fic is taking place and whether or not the changes in this AU would mean that Kanan was never blinded in the first place so you can’t write his POV because you can’t decide on the answers to those questions.

Rex is part of the crew so it takes place at least in S2 of Rebels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Ooooh ... intriguing. I think this fits the 'unreliable narrator' trope?:-B

10. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    No, I just can’t write Kanan’s scene until I make those decisions because if I set it after s2 and decide that despite Anakin nor joining the Dark Side that some sort of confrontation happened on Malachor and Maul still blinded Kanan than I’d have to completely rewrite the scene.

Logically it makes sense to set it after season two as they’re there to purchase weapons off of a Mr. Reklawyks so they have a base.

Part of me wants him to be blind so he doesn’t realize that a few of the workers and the local racers/pilots look like Younglings/Padawans he knew/was familiar with; but I don’t want to blind him just because.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

devilinthedetails likes this.
  11. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Good thinking. Best wishes for the story's evolution.:kanan:

12. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when the only scene of something you've been able to write is a massive misuse of the Force, but also amusing and insightful, and is also a flash-forward, which doesn't help. (In other news, I'm seeing my fic, if not necessarily the part I REALLY WANT to see...)

13. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003

Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
  14. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    When a single bad joke you think of before a long car journey sparks an idea for an entire fanfic that becomes fully formed over the course of the next 3 hours all because the bad joke sound like it’d fit my OTP to a tee.

15. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    The Imagineers of Galaxy's Edge would like a word with you... (I'd go for the Mangolorian! with raspberry sauce)

I've done this in the Sims soooo many times... [face_blush]

16. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Sad thing is The Skywalker Saga for some reason doesn´t even have a character editor anymore...

17. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    An interaction with a RL acquaintance made me think of this, because my brain works in Simpsons quotes and random song lyrics. :p Spoiler-tagged for image size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  18. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
  19. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    You use Tumblr as a validation tool for certain SW characters having cats in your stories and realize you were writing canon all along! :p

20. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    You hear a song and you're like "aaaah I NEED to write something with this, it's perfect! :D" but then you listen to it again and realize "...it's perfect, I can't write anything the song doesn't already say :(".

21. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Make the story some kind of music video maybe using the same lyrics?

22. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    You look forward to the weekend (or other days off) as prime fanfiction writing time. [face_party]

Also, your exciting Friday night plans are fanfic writing, and you regret nothing. :p

pronker, Thumper09, Kahara and 5 others like this.
  23. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    You let chapters sit for days and weeks because you're worried about whether or not the dialogue is good enough (that's what is currently holding me back)

24. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ^^ Been there. :)

...when you have to add an A/N apologizing for a character's canon reaction (which was totally in character, understandable, and ALL THE THINGS) getting skipped on a part you're not yet finished with and have been stuck on for a year. (Not stuck anymore... now i just want off of Bespin...)

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  25. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    I feel that. Sending you lots of good writing vibes! [:D]

pronker and devilinthedetails like this.