main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I read the dialogue out loud to myself (even though it may seem weird) to hear if it feels like a natural conversation or not. The way I can tell if the dialogue is 'good enough' is if this is how I imagine the character may carry out the conversation given the situation they are in; if not, then I revise or step back a bit and reflect a little. Maybe this is helpful?

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    pronker, Exeter, amidalachick and 2 others like this.
  2. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    As Harrison Ford once told George Lucas, "George! You can type this ****, but you sure can’t say it! Move your mouth when you’re typing!"

YKYAFFWW you insist you're not talking to yourself out loud—you're quoting your fictional characters talking to each other...

pronker, amidalachick, Kahara and 4 others like this.
  3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Your story gets attitude and gives you narrative pushback, and you love it because it makes your story ten times better in the end[face_idea]

pronker, amidalachick, Kahara and 2 others like this.
  4. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Anxiety was literally making you sick over writing but thanks to the magic of true friends and Bruce Springsteen you finally wrote words down again.

5. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    You watch the new Kenobi series and almost immediately get inspired to dust off a story you've been meaning to work on since forever

6. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    You start replaying KotOR and SW:TOR, remember your old username through that, and THEN remember it's been six years since you put any pen to paper in your story you outlined FAR beyond where you ended up.

7. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    When you're working on an epic fanfic (and feeling like you might even manage to actually write this one) but you can't come up with a good title for it.

(Or even a half decent working title. Seriously, I need help.)

pronker, Kahara, gizkaspice and 2 others like this.
  8. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @Cowgirl Jedi 1701 My go-to for titles is Springsteen songs song lyrics. I have a whole list of lyrics that would be perfect titles, I just can't write the stories to go with them. :p Quotes are good too.

If I don't have a song lyric/quote/some inspiration in mind, I'll just summarize the plot or pick out a key line or word and stick that on.

For a working title, I usually use a short form of the full title if I know what I want it to be, otherwise I just do a plot/idea summary (and that's how I end up with documents titled things like "Jerry Springer" or "pizza" [face_laugh]).

Good luck with your title and your fic!

9. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    My titles are literally what the story is going to be about, no strings attached or flowery language, just literally the thing it will involve (sorry if this isn't too helpful @Cowgirl Jedi 1701 ).

10. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    When you read your hundredth Star Wars fanfic and you get to the part where the heroes face Palpatine and you wonder if he's going to use his lightsabers or Force Lightning or both. The good authors will have him use both and the exceptional ones will have him use new powers that have never been seen before. Facing the Emperor is like facing an implacable force of nature and he should never be defeated easily.

pronker, amidalachick, Kahara and 2 others like this.
  11. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    Eh, I rather like the simple way Palpatine was killed off in RotJ. Like Dorothy just needing to tap her shoes to return home, Anakin had the power in him all along, which is both satisfying and sad. The task itself may be easy, it's believing you can do it that's hard.

Lady_Misty, pronker, Exeter and 8 others like this.
  12. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    A comment notification on an old fic of yours makes you realize that you gave different stories in different fandoms the same title, and it is such a face palm moment. :oops:

pronker, Exeter, darkspine10 and 6 others like this.
  13. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    When the absolute most frustrating part of trying to write the story is getting that first sentence! :oops: Maybe this is one for the advice thread, but I sure do seem to reacquire my impostor syndrome with every single first line. The thing is I know that in the end I'll just slap something on the page and that will be that and the story will move on and just have a first line that isn't quite as perfect as I want. Happens every time, and sometimes I come back a few months later and it turns out that first line is not nearly as blah as I thought. But why why why must I reinvent the wheel every time?

pronker, Exeter, amidalachick and 5 others like this.
  14. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Oh, that is so frustrating! That really is the best solution, though - just write something down and keep going. It's just so hard to actually do it sometimes. Sending you lots of good writing vibes! [:D]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
  15. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    How how how did the notification reach you///??/// My Gmail is mum on the subject of TFN notifications. :( As for titles, I always am reminded of how many classic Marvel comics were titled, "WHEN TITANS CLASH!!!"

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  16. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @pronker, it was actually a notification from Archive of Our Own, not from TFN. TFN tends to only give me notifications when I get private messages from people.

17. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Interesting re notifications ... so this would be a reason for asking for Author to PM when updating? I believe this was done some time back and became deemed pimping for one's fic ... [face_alien]

YKYAFFWW a profound life change affects your long time preference for writing/reading "H/C" to prompt a sea change to "give me only fluff ... :)"

18. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    IIRC, PM notifications for updates was a thing back when a) the boards moved a lot faster (back when I first registered we only had the one board and you were lucky to have your fic stay on the front page for a couple of hours; even after we split the board into the three era-specific fic boards things still moved fast enough that a full day or two on the front page in Saga or Beyond was a good run) and it was easier to miss seeing that a fic had been updated, and b) there was no such thing as the Tapatalk app and the board's mechanics didn't include notifications. At that time, if an author was willing to PM readers who requested notifications, it was a reliable way of keeping track of stories you loved. These days it's pretty superfluous.

amidalachick, Exeter, Kahara and 4 others like this.
  19. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Regarding notifications on this site, I mainly just watch threads both for the fics I am reading and the ones I am writing, and generally I haven't had a problem getting the notifications when I log into this site, which I usually do daily. There might be a way to set up the watched threads so emails are also sent but I have never clicked that option so I don't know how well it works or how reliable it is. On Archive of Our Own, I log into the site quite a bit less. Usually just when I am going to post or update a fic, so I appreciate getting notifications of comments emailed to me so I can log in and hopefully reply in a timely manner. It's just a difference in how I interact with various platforms, and I think there are options on both platforms to sort of tinker with one's personal experience which is cool.

And...You know you are a fanfiction author when you sometimes feel guilty about real life interfering with your fanfiction writing schedule.

20. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    When you’re writing a scene from the POV of an OC who had her eyes burned out and never got cybernetic replacements getting emotional and have to google if people without eyes can still cry and suddenly become unsure if you want to write the scene from her POV due to the potential ick factor or have her put her glass eyes in before the conversation or wondering if you should have that all of her tear ducts were destroyed when her eyes were burned out.

For those curious look it up because it explains things better than I could. It’s nothing disgusting but it might be unpleasant to describe and probably unpleasant to read about.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

DaenaBenjen42 and pronker like this.
  21. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when your mother, while discussing story lines, points out that maybe killing another ten or so ink pens wouldn't be a bad thing. (If I do it, we get to blame my mother. Ah.)

22. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    *tries to picture what this was like*:-B

23. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    It was craziness. If you ever go into a thread on the classic board (or even one of the older threads from after the split, which was in 2003) and you see a whole bunch of posts that just say "up!", that's why. :p We sometimes got creative in how we upped our threads, but back then it was totally normal and acceptable to do so, because otherwise no one would ever see your story. As things slowed down in the years after RotS came out, the practice shifted so that it became unacceptable to up your own thread unless you were replying to comments, and even then you were supposed to wait at least a day before doing so. It's really interesting to see how things have ebbed and flowed here over the years.

I can't speak much for 2016-2019 because I wasn't really active here during those years (and only occasionally active for a couple of years before that), but before then PM lists for updates were very much an acceptable practice, and many people expected you to have one. It was only considered pimping ones fic if you sent PMs to people who didn't ask for them. But yeah, there used to be no way to get notifications for specific threads. (Or if there was, I was never aware of it :p). The pre-XenForo boards were in some ways a very different place. [face_hypnotized]

[face_rofl] [face_rofl]

Yep, that about sums it up.

Isn't fandom archaeology fun? :cool:

25. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I started venturing into the (Classic) Fanfic Board in 2002 and dabbled around the fanfic boards during the split. The unwritten rules back then ingrained themselves in me pretty strongly as a newbie, and I still find myself following most of them by default because my mind is still stuck in That's How It Is™-- things like waiting for x period of time before replying to comments, waiting to reply to multiple comments vs. a single comment, etc. When making a new story post, I have to consciously stop myself from putting the date in the title. I miss being able to edit titles and put the date of the last story update in there for multi-post stories.

There were e-mail notifications (Active Topic Notifications) back in at least 2002 if you activated it for a particular thread. I still have said e-mail notification from my first story as a souvenir. :p

I miss having the PM Update lists. @The_Face had the absolute best PM updates. Instead of simply saying, "Hey, the story's been updated," he made each PM into a unique little story interlude or a sort of commercial break. I loved getting his PM updates almost as much as his story updates, LOL.

Exeter, Findswoman , pronker and 6 others like this.