main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    There’s an invention by Poor Yorrick of a horrible boy band called Bucky and the Starboys. I can totally hear their lyrics in my head to some beach boys tunes.

2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Holy cow. Now I can indeed imagine rock music on Naboo, but I don't have a jaw anymore. It dropped to the floor and it remained stuck there; I can't pick it up.

3. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

amidalachick, Pandora, Kahara and 2 others like this.
  4. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW you rediscover a manip from long ago you made for @ruth baulding and apply the advice to yourself.
    [​IMG]

5. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    @Chyntuck : Holy cow. Now I can indeed imagine rock music on Naboo, but I don't have a jaw anymore. It dropped to the floor and it remained stuck there; I can't pick it up.

In a good way, I hope.

A bit of relevant background: Malice Mizer (1992-Hiatus in 2001) is probably the best known Visual Kei band. A basic description I picked up from a youtube video is that Visual Kei is a musical movement--I don't want to say "genre" as style wise, bands considered to be "vkei" cover a wide range musically--where the visuals matter as much as the music. Can you imagine anything more Naboo?

The main difference is that this would be probably be more-or-less mainstream on Naboo. Whereas in 1990s Japan, on Planet Earth, well:

[The reason for the excited Mana talks! in the video heading is because, well, Mana doesn't talk. In public, at least. He can speak, he just--for whatever reason, it's his business--doesn't want to.]

---------------------------------

Finally: *Labyrinth flashbacks, Labyrinth flashbacks....*

Last edited: May 24, 2023
  6. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW your rough draft includes too, too many characters from wildly varying fandoms *same timeline, though!O:)* and you fear referencing them with links will turn the "fic" into a "dissertation" ... also, in its current form, the "fic" may be considered a "polemic." [face_tired]

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I have to deal with the same thirteen characters every time I write Leia in my current fic. It’s a relief to write any. Other. Setting. Because I honestly don’t like some of her Queen’s Council. That’s intentional.

8. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Just a gentle reminder that using the comments of others as springboards to specifically reference your own stories on too frequent a basis can come across as a bit self-promotional.

There have been several times over the past week or so that you have quoted others in this thread to talk about your Leia series, which could be seen as excessive.

While we do want everyone to have an opportunity to share in this thread, we also don't want attention to be monopolized by any one user or series.

Thank you for your consideration!
    :)

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    When you don’t know the word polemic, so you look it up and then spend the next hour thinking of characters who would fit into a story in that form.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  10. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    You refuse to do anything else because right now you absolutely have to get an idea down for a fanfic and that takes priority because good stuff like that needs to be written down before you forget! :p

11. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
  12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    When you write an original fic and spend the entirety of the submission notes telling the editors that none of this is actually fanfic. You just wrote a mystery about Dr. Watson and a spectral dog and it’s based on mythology of southern England, not that Baskerville nonsense.

13. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when a scene in draft form makes you cry at work. (Also: What Would Goose Do?)

pronker, Chyntuck, gizkaspice and 2 others like this.
  14. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    When a combination of sad RL news and sheer spite breaks your writer's block.

Also, when your first thought after yay I wrote words again is great, kid! Don't get cocky! :p

15. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    You start to quietly wonder if one of your Olympics stories should just go from a pentathlon to a decathlon to further corrupt the Internet with written horrors yet unrevealed to the minds of humankind.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  16. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Yes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  17. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Upping your pentathlon to a decathlon for the Summer Olympics is always encouraged[face_devil]

18. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    ... when you go trawling through the old files in the bowels of your computer, and it reminds you that a few years ago you came up with a brilliant title, but you still don't have a story to go with it.

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I have my favorite title of all time and no story to use it with: “Birdsong from a forgotten world.” I found it in a French hymn.

YKYAFFW you know what books you’d make fictional characters read in a book club. (Master Yoda and The Wednesday War, anyone?)

20. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    When you have rewritten a section of your fic where a character that was conscious is now unconscious and don’t know if the Empire can launch a surprise inspection of a spaceport/repair and refueling depot they don’t own or contract out and your retired Air Force veteran MIL doesn’t think that surprise inspections can be done to a place that isn’t a military base/installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    It can be done in dystopian space opera.

When you get teary at the fanfic potential of a book you’ve listened to several times…

22. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    And, at least according to google, a business can perform surprise inspections of their warehouses/stores/buildings and when Bryg was running her daycare she was told that she could have surprise inspections, especially at lunch time, to make sure that she following the rules

But regardless, the Empire isn’t going to care whether or not that little spaceport isn’t under Imperial control. The important part is that it’s operating out of the remains of a Venator Stardestroyer and certain senators advocated to allow former military installations and equipment that had been taken over by civilians for certain uses like homes and ports to be allowed to keep them for the betterment of the planet/sector, of course all military computers and certain pieces of military equipment have to be completely removed for security purposes, so they have to make sure that they aren’t secretly Rebels or Rebel Sympathizers or helping Rebels in any way.

23. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    ... when you need to rewatch a few episodes of TCW for a story you're writing, but you plan to do it behind your daughter's back because she'll want to rewatch the whole series.

24. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I have titles with no stories, and stories with no titles. And stories with lame titles, because I couldn't come up with something clever when the time came to share it.

25. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    I have a few documents that just have a few words typed in that give no hint to what I was writing/going to write.

They have names, but they don’t hint to what the document was going to be.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023