main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You know you're addicted to Fan Fiction when...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Mr. P, Oct 31, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    You know you're addicted when;

You get to work at least 45 minutes early (even like now when you start at 5:30 am) to read fanfic.

Your friends at work have a nickname for your author name ie; Feeler Leona

When describing the latest antics of a certain group of drunken Jedi you tend to use I's and we's
    (as if you're really there...oh how I wish)

2. mara03

mara03 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 2000
    Wow...I'm guilty as charged with a lot of these, especially knowing fanfic sites by heart, reloading every 5 seconds, VERY guilty of constantly being on the JC at WORK (eep! Glad I never got caught this summer), reading fanfic while supposed to be studying..heck, I was taking Balance Point breaks to read fanfic (now THAT's addiction)...

and this morning I'm guilty as charged of waking up, stumbling to the computer and logging on to the JC, and not having started getting ready for class yet.

Jen (no..really..I have a life ....)

3. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    When you have well thought-out and planned AUs...based not on the movies but on other people's fics. (*guilty!*-- I have so many in mind based on stories by others)

When you are late leaving for work, but still check the JC for updates anyway (knowing full well that you'll check again as the first thing you do when you finally get to work - *guilty*).

4. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Ohhhhh, it hurts. So much is so true.

When you're looking back and forth between the Netscape/IE icon, and the icon for your Earth Sciences lab report (due in one hour, and still not done), and are having troubles choosing (guiltly, oh so very guilty, though I did get the lab done, but oh it hurt...)

5. anya Skywalker

anya Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2000
    Oh my,i'm guilty of too many of these!

When you add to lists like this one.(Has this one been said b4?)

6. Uisceban

Uisceban Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2000
    When you wake up in the middle of the night to write out an idea you had for a fanfic or
    you can't go to sleep untill you write out your idea.

7. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    Julie says: You know you're addicted when after waking in the morning you immediately log on to read fanfiction and subsequintly forget to not only get dressed, but eat breakfast!

Guily! every day during break, I'd look down around 4 and tell myself to get dressed!

7) You are reading fics instead of working on the exit poll sheets for tomorrow's mock election and the real exit poll sheets for Tuesday. (guilty!)

8. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    ...you're at a party/work/school and when someone says something funny, you immediatly pull out a notepad and write it down to use in your fanfic (not guilty, but only because I have a good memory...)

9. Teebones

Teebones Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2000
    I'm addicted to fan fic.
    For one major reason.
    When reading the books I have a lot of trouble diferentiating what actually happened and what I read in a fan fic.

That happens to me all the time...

10. anya Skywalker

anya Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2000
    LOL!
    5)When you skip a school trip so that you can spend more time reading......

6)When you scream at your modem because the conection went down and you were in the midle of a post.

11. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    oh boy! up

12. Vee

Vee Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 16, 2000
    You quote Melrose Naboo so much that
    1) "Calm blue ocean" and "Deep blue sea" are common phrases with at least twenty non-readers that you know,
    2) One of your RL friends that you converted to MN is planning an MN special sanctioned by the MN people (keep an eye out for "Open Mic Night" by RunsLikeAnime!),
    3) When something grosses you or your friends out, everyone cries out, "Eeyew, lice guts!",
    and 4) When speculating the viability of something sci-fi-ish, The Wardrobe is considered to be as concrete a variable as any other sf statute.

Supplemental example for #4:

Vee: I'm telling you, time is like a river. Energy is the substance of the universe, and its strength is directly proportional to its temperature. First, we heat something to ungodly proportions. Then, some time later, we get something below absolute zero in that same physical spot, and it holds to the riverbed while time flows past. The object emerges from the heated place before it is lowered below absolute zero.
    Vee's friend: Why bother when you can just walk past the Techno-Look section?

13. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    I'm guilty of almost everything said before...
    You are addicted when you print out every new post of your fave fic, and carry more than 200 sheets of paper with you everywhere, just to be able to read the story when you have no Internet connection...
    *guilty*

14. Calayka_Bele

Calayka_Bele Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2000
    *Head bangs against the computer desk*

This is seriously freaky!

I qualify for a lot of these!

Here's more:

A) When you wake up you immediatley start thinking about how you're going to conclude your newest fanfic (guilty!)

B)Your day doesn't feel complete if you don't get on the board and post or at least check it (guilty!)

C)When talk like Yoda you begin to do

Someone (sorry I can't remember who it was!) said that when you start to use words like sith and sithly, this is definitley me.

15. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    You decide to kill off a main charactor in your fic, and change your address in your profile, just in case. (MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm now a resident of Kyrgyzstan!)

16. Ping

Ping Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 1998
    ...you've posted to the "UP" thread. ;)

17. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000

You were willing to skip a funeral of a guy that's know you since you were born just to post at your stories.

(GUILTY! But, like a good girl, I chose funeral. I soorta wish now tht I hadn't. It was open casket :( I just got back..)

18. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    When you want to travel the world for the sole purpose of stopping at the homes of everybody who's writing on your favourite threads. First you want to shake them until a new post falls out, then you want to chain them to their computers so that they can't get away and have nothing else to do except write, while you go on to the next person.

19. Rokangus

Rokangus Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 18, 2000
    Yep, it's all too true.

Here's some more:

1) When you plan your fanfics with "soundtracks" (I'm guilty there)

2)You scavenge for pics for your fanfics, because you don't have a scanner or photoshop. (guilty there, too)

3)You go to TF.N for the fanfics at JC. And that's it.

20. Rabe'

Rabe' Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    I am guilty of so many of these it's scary. I have skipped school to catch up on a story so many times people think I have some kind of illness that keeps me out of school. I do, it's called Fan Fiction. I'm especially guilty of these:

1) You are up all night writing fanfiction even though you have to take the ACT the next morning.
    2) You start expecting to see Fanfic charracters to show up in Ep. II and III.
    3) You get detention for using the word "sith" in school. (the teacher thought it was some new curse word)
    4) You're dissapointed when a new Star Wars movie comes out because you like a fanfic better.
    5) You start seriously thinking about dropping marching band and the track team because practice cuts into your fanfic time.

21. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    Rabe', that sig rox. :)

I'm guilty of all of these except it was the PSATs instead of the ACT.

You have your entire class using the word 'sith' instead of 'shrek' and 'crap'.

You spend class trips explaining what AU is and why it is more free than canon, and why canon is more free than AU and don't get mixed up. [sooooo guilty]

When someone asks where you live, you answer: http://boards.theforce.net/board.asp?brd=10016 by heart. [guilty]

You spend class time writing out new parts for you story, then rip them out of your notebook, stuff them in your shirt pocket, and use lunch periods for making up notes you missed. [guilty for every day this past month]

You remember when you posted your first thread and followed the link of everyone who posted there and read everything they wrote. [guily, guilty, guilty]

22. Calayka_Bele

Calayka_Bele Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2000
    Here's another one.

You know you're addicted to Fan Fiction when your favorite class is writing because then you have an excuse to write Fan fiction.

23. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    ...who said they paid 10 bucks fo internet use? i can top that with 20! :D

(sorry if these are repetitive, im lazy)

--you come home from school and go to the comp., you come home from work and go to the comp., you come home from church and go to the comp., you eat and go to the comp., you eat while AT the comp., you--aw you get the idea!

--you have sections of your fanfics and printed out fanfics scattered throughout your room(its expanding to my house now)

--every single notebook you use in school has a scene from your fanfic-in-progress written in it...if not that, there are tons of names back when you were experimenting to find a good one

--you advertise fanfics on your sig

--you always are saying to an author, "I'll catch up soon! I have so much to read right now..."

--you get really cranky when you haven't gotten your daily dose of Fanfic(or SW, for that matter). -i must admit to this one-

--you use all your real life experiences and put them into SW terms...

--you worry about the vacation you're taking next summer when you won't have any access to a comp. for 10 days...uh-oh

24. JediKnightZarc

JediKnightZarc Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2000
    lol, this is a fun thread.

You know you are addicted to Fan Fiction when you have dreams about reading it/writing it. (I'm serious, I have had these dreams)

...You beg your Language Arts teacher for freewrite time so you can get those plot bunnies out of your head

25. Jedi_Master_Insei

Jedi_Master_Insei Jedi Youngling star 2

May 1, 2000
    An-Paj isn't real?!?!? *has seriously never known this... even for being on the board for eight months...*

YKYATFFW...

1. During your favorite class (Digital Art for me) you forget to do your semester project just so you can use the computer to check out the JC fics.

2. You sign up for Digital Art/Keyboarding/Internet Multimedia/etc. (anything dealing with a computer) just so you can go to the JC fics during that class.

3. Your parents ground you for the next millenia because you failed the aforementioned classes because you were doing your fics.

4. You commit seppuku or some other form of suicide because you can't get your minutely 'fix' of JC fics.

5. You call your visiting the JC fics a 'fix.'

*guilty of all save 4 ^_^ *

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.