main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You know you're reading a fanfic by (so-and-so) when...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Sebulba2179, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lusa_Thul

Lusa_Thul Jedi Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    Ok, I'll give this a shot...

You know you're reading a fic by -Tenel-Ka- when:

- Everything is snarky

- It's set on Hapes

- You don't think Gandell is canon, you know he is!

You know you're reading a fic by Vongchild when:

- No matter what it is, it's AU in some way.

- You end up liking Nin Yim, even if you keep telling yourself that you really hate the Vong.

- Vergere, Nin Yim and Tahiri all make an appearance at some point, regardless of when it is set or if the characters are actually supposed to be dead.

2. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I know I'm reading something by YodaKenobi when the story looks like it's lifted out of any post-SBS NJO book except that Anakin's in it.

I know I'm reading something by CarrKicksDoor when I see 25 pages of J/TK mush stuffed into one post.

I know I'm reading something by CarrKicksDoor when I go to the bathroom in the middle of the story to do something about my drying contacts and when I come back, I can't find my place.

I know I'm reading something of Tych_sel's when I don't see detailed descriptions of the OC's appearances yet somehow end up loving a good lot of them.

I know I'm reading something by Spike2002 when there's lots of action, lots of blood, and lots of SW history all in one post

I know I'm reading something by DathomiranAuthor when I see a really convincing continuation of the YJK series that totally mimics the style of the books

I know I'm reading something by VaderLVR64 when the story is very moving and centered around the movie characters

I know I'm reading something by Thrawn McEwok when I see weird, underwritten couples involved in NJO or post NJO stories

I know I'm reading something by Draconarius when every chapter includes someone named Zadar and villains with names like Shadow, Valkyrie, and Wraith.

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    You know you're reading a fic by leandrastar2000 when all of the main characters can't figure things out, but the OC fixes it in two sentences flat.

Or when she has an Irish name and is from Corellia.

Or if the number of dates she and her husband have been on is fewer than the number of times she'll have an assassination attempt made on her life.

[:D] to Leandra!

4. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    You act like not everyone gives characters pink lightsabes, Arin. ;)

Let's see...you know you're reading a fic by Arin Atona when...

You kind of sort of think his OC's hot...but know if you met him in real life, you'd want to slap him...

The characters wits are sharper than lightsabers

Cracken's refresher explodes

Villains are on par with Dean Koontz's

You know you're reading a fic by Rebelmom when...

You love the story even though it's Anakin\Padme...and you're a Lukie fan...

Lukie's shirt gets ripped in a fight but instead of being concerned, you're drooling...ahem...appreciating...

You use her stories for Lukie\Mara character references as much as Zahn...

You know you're reading a fic by Jaya Solo when...

Wes and Jaina together actually seems plausible

Stuffed Ewoks talk with Alderaani accents

Jag refuses a date with Jaina because he's washing his hair

5. Jaina_Solo_15

Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 5, 2002
    Couldn't resist any longer.

You know you're reading a Jaya Solo fic when....

1) Wes Janson is the main character
    2) Your sides hurt from the constant humor ;)
    3) She gets you to read truly scary pairings like Jaina/Wes and laugh!

and the most definite way that you know that you're reading a Jaya Solo fic...

4) acroynms of a certain name always show up! :p

6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    You know you're reading a story by the crowd at Jemmiah Chronicles when:

No one can hold their liquor
    Everyone has a boyfriend, especially the Jedi
    No one is safe
    You laugh so hard you wheeze
    You don't have a resolution in the ending.
    by ThePariah

When there's one line of dialogue for every five thousand words of angsty interior monologue.
    When she throws in one-liners that make you bawl on the spot.

7. Agent_Jaid

Agent_Jaid Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 21, 2003
    You know you're reading a Fanfic by Agent_jaid when.. You need to make a list of Oc's in the story

No kidding.... :p heh.... ;)Be happy you only see the ones I've handed out and you don't have to deal keeping all the OC's in the sequels straight too (and in their respective books because they all live through the same time periods.... :_| make it stop!!)... :p

You know you're reading a fanfic by PadmeLeiaJaina when....

-- Anakin and Tenel Ka end up together [face_love] - and you and your best friend don't talk to each other for a week because you KNOW that's how it was supposed to be

-- Ta'a Chume is the Devil's Mother (he disowned her....)

-- No one has the ability to have a single child - there are triplets everywhere.... :p

-- You start freaking out because Zekk has a cold and you know something sinister is up (Everyone Else: *mocks*)

-- The next post, Zekk, Mara, and Mara are suddenly stripped of their Force Abilities (Me: Hah!)

-- Danni is a scientist. You finally manage to get that. She totally rocks.

...there's a bunch of other ones but right now, I hurt too much to think.... :p

[edit] smilies! (second time too... :( that's rather sad...)

8. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    >>>You know you are reading ithesock (sock of Princess_Arulmozhi) when you realize that she has written Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan a thousand times better than you ever could!>>>

<goes pink with pleasure> [face_blush]

Ooh, my turn:

You know you're reading a fanfic by...

• Diane: a)When the characters are so real that you keep blinking away tears - and then spend two days writing stories around her OC's - all the while praying that she won't end her story with a tragedy. b) Little viggies spring up in the course of the story about said OC's and you gobble them up. c) She keeps saying that she's a slow writer, and you're glad of it - because when she finally produces something, it'll outshine all your efforts. :p

• LuvEwan: 'Lots' of introspection about Obi-Wan, the Knight in the cloak, the Master to the Chosen One...and you read it all and wonder why all this hasn't made it into canon-dom yet. b) She describes Obi-Wan sleeping, and leaves you sighing about your own writing skills. c) Your stomach is in knots about all the wonderful angst. d) You want to tear Anakin Skywalker into tiny, tiny pieces. :D

• Ophelia: Descriptions to die for, that make the whole world - any world, come alive. Pages upon pages of emotional roller-coaster rides for her characters - but you still want more, and wish she'd write another 100 pages. You're also sorry that her soon-to-be 400,000 word epic saga is moving towards the end, and curse her with more plot-bunnies.b) You're awarded with alcoholic/fizzy/calming drinks in her epic.c) Even her responses to character discussion threads read like full-fledged essays, and make you go green with envy :D

• Shaindl: a)Sharply defined emotions - the kind that leaves more to the reader's imagination. b)Intriguing plot set-up. You wonder why you couldn't have come up with such a thing. c)Marvelous angst - the kind that refuses to leave even after a day.

• VaderLVR64: a)New viggies practically every day. b) Babies - lots and lots of 'em. And you want to snatch them away from the main characters, and keep them from growing up/taken away/any horrible fate.c) You read her AU's and scream with frustration about why this couldn't have happened in canon.

<goes off to think up more...>

9. talkingbanana

talkingbanana Jedi Master star 3

Jun 4, 2003
    Hey, this is a neat idea. Thanks for the nod, Arin! :D

Let's see, I'm sure I can come up with a few . . .

You know you're reading a padawan lunetta fic when:
    - Small children routinely show up as convenient plot devices (but you love them anyway! ;) ).
    - You hate Corran Horn in EVERYTHING else, but he's okay in these stories.
    - You can quote it and it sounds like profic. (Usually better.)

You know you're reading a The_Face fic when:
    - You can get through an entire fight scene without ever seeing the fighting, because the main characters are arguing amongst themselves to notice the battle.
    - Luke is portrayed like someone who's "a few midichlorians short of a Chosen One" (and that's your favorite version of Luke, by the way).
    - Every place or ship name is chosen solely because of its potential for puns, and such wordplay is everywhere.
    - "Now with real butter flavor!" has become a universally recognized and expected catchphrase.

You know you're reading an InyriForge fic when:
    - You didn't know that the Wes/Inyri ship isn't canon, and you can't figure out why.
    - You forget that you're reading fanfic and not profic from time to time, and you often mix up what's in these stories with what happens in the books.

You know you're reading a Mjsullivan fic when:
    - The updates are a minimum of a month apart. :p
    - You can actually picture sinking a Star Destroyer. Yes, in water. And you don't find this strange at all.
    - You wonder if some of the things that happen could actually work in real life, like the five steps to taking over a planet or catching a scam based on the GFFA equivalent of a milk mustache.
    - At the end of every post, you're left with the feeling that something very significant just happened in your life, and then you remember, some hours later, that it's just a story.

I'm sure I can come up with more later . . ..

10. darshaassant

darshaassant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2005
    *sneaks in, looks around then sees that her master isn't here and sniggers*

You know you're reading a fic by lordmaul13 when....

1.You see that there is a lordmaul13 in the sidebar of the story post.

2.There is a stupid idiot somewhere in the story, most likely the main character.

3. (More recetly) when the story is rainbow coloured.

4.Either someone dies, or someone almost dies.

*sneaks back out, still sniggering.*

11. Mjsullivan

Mjsullivan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2003

You know you're reading a Mjsullivan fic when:
    - The updates are a minimum of a month apart :p

I could have a reputation for worse things, I suppose ;) Thanks for the mention, Talkingbanana!

You know you're reading a fic by Talkingbanana when:

- Bit characters have a certain 'Shakespearian' quality to them ;)
    - You understand quite clearly that freedom tastes like Sugar-Pastry.
    - You are inspired to re-read the entire X-wing series of novels, just to make sure you havent missed a cameo by a Wraith/Rogue.

And had to add, you know you're reading a fic by The_Face when you need to take a few days break between each post to give your sides time to recover [face_laugh]

12. the_wandering_shadow

the_wandering_shadow Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    2 and 4 are definitely true (well not like 1 isn't!). He's very tragic, a regular Hamlet when writing :cool:

13. JediCallista_1_6_e54

JediCallista_1_6_e54 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2005
    ---You know you're reading a fic by InyriForge when you're rereading the X-wing novels and you're wondering when her OC's will show up.

---You know you're reading a fic by DarthIshtar when Jag dies and Kyp is making moves on Jaina, and you find yourself liking it.

---You know you're reading a fic by Jaya Solo when Wes is battling a Sith lord and it's plausible.

There're more but I just woke up

14. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    i have to make fun of myself a little bit.

you know your reading darksideyesplease when....

someone says a line from the movies, yet it wasn't there line in the movie. =/

anakin is vader yet he's not the villain

r2d2 is the ring bearer in a wedding

palpatine is completely out of character and there are 10 replies saying how much people hate his guts.

and of course in my replies i constantly talk about my ewoks and how much they love to dance. ;)

15. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    You know you're reading a story by Luney when one of her replies reads "Hey, you got Jango Fett's characterization down pat in that post!" and the post was about Corran Horn. [face_plain]

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, Callista, you're odd, but the again, so am I!

17. Drabbo_Fett

Drabbo_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2003
    Rather than make fun of others, I'll ridicule myself a bit.

Signs you might be reading a fic by Drabbo Fett:

1. If it's over in 100 words.

2. If you feel as though you need an annotated edition and a degree in media studies to get half the jokes.

3. If you find the very idea of the central crossover sick and wrong.

4. If the entire thing's based on a single pun.

5. If you think that what just happened to your favorite character should be banned from the boards.

18. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    You know you're reading a fanfic by:

Shaindl: When you're left shaking your head in amazement, wishing you had half the gift for word she does.

Jade Solo: You find yourself laughing so hard you snort pop out your nose.

VaderLVR You feel like you've crawled inside Anakin/Vaders head and are viewing events from his eyes.

Master Noi:You get an overwhelming feeling of panic because you realize that her skills are progressing by leaps and bounds with every fic and soon she'll be taking over the boards!

The Obi Challenge Thread Stories: Because the array of talent make you laugh, cry and gasp in the space of a vignette. All for the love of one man. [face_love]

19. CarrKicksDoor

CarrKicksDoor Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Hear, hear.

~Carr

20. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    You know you're reading a fanfic by RedGold when . . .

1. Luke and Mara both show up and they're having an argument

2. Han is getting slapped with a fish

3. You up it just so more people can read it

4. There's tons of OC's who are out to get Mara.

KT

21. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    You know you're reading dianethx because the imagery is almost painfully vivid, the emotion is perfectly balanced, and you have to read the post at least three times, just to admire the layers of meaning woven into it.

You know you're reading Shaindl when the storyline is so good, you get excited just thinking of what the next post will be, when you've barely finished the current post.

You know you're reading red_rose_knight when you realize that Obi-Wan Kenobi has never been written this well.

You know you're reading Princess_Arumolzhi when the plot is wonderfully original, the dialogue and mind speech is flawless, and by the end you're just totally entranced.

You know you're reading maychorian when the original characters land a place in your heart, because they have been so expertly crafted, along with every other scene, especially those with emotional focus.

You know you're reading something by obi_ew because it's AU, but so well-done that you think it's canon until you watch one of the movies and realize Xanatos isn't going to pop up to say hello to Obi-Wan. And you're quite dissapointed.

You know you're reading Knight_Dilletante when the narration is strong, and every single word counts.

You know you're reading Drabbo_Fett for the many reasons he has already listed, and also because you're cleaning whatever beverage you were drinking while reading his post from your keyboard, monitor, desk, etc.

You know you're reading Master_Noi when Qui-Gon is a professor, Obi-Wan is involved in politics, and you have to read every post like you're a dehydrated person finally receiving water, it's so damn good.

You know you're reading Kynstar when there is Dooku gushing, and you absolutely love it.

You know you're reading VaderLVR64 when you're on the verge of tears, and are *in my case* actually liking Anakin.

22. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    Ooh, this is fun!

You know you're reading a fic by Thrawn McEwok when all the posts leave you confused, but you still want more at the end because it was wonderfully written. And the fic contains at least one odd pairing but you're immediately converted because it makes a lot of sense.

You know you're reading a fic by YodaKenobi when the dramatis contains just about every canon character ever see, with a few OCs added for good measure. And you become so sure that one of the OCs is canon that you reread the whole NJO just to see if it is.

23. Jaded_Girl

Jaded_Girl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    You know you're reading a fic by obaona when you're STILL thinking about those beautiful things she's written.

Months later.

When you're supposed to be paying attention in class.

You know you're reading a fic by RedGold when Mara is being written in better character than roughly 90% of the pro-fic writers, and you have trouble remembering that her fan-fic quotes DO NOT take place in the books.

You know you're reading a fic by Knight_Aragorn when you find heart-stopping introspection, warm, delicate romance and the strong, sweet ties of home and family woven together in dancingly eloquent passages.

You know you're reading a fic by vader_incarnate when the characers are often dark, twisted, tormented... and SEXY. *fans self*

You know you're reading a fic by Gabri_Jade when you don't care if Mara and Luke are stuck in a neverending viscious cycle of sarcastic banter... so long as they keep bickering in that insanely cute manner! [face_love]

You know you're reading a fic by EmilieDarklighter when- whether you're laughing or holding your breath as a character prepares to bare their souls- you're enjoying yourself immensely.

You know you're reading a fic by RebelMom when you are now REALLY sad that Anakin turned to the dark side and wasn't there to be a funny, warm, encouraging and loving father to his kids.

You know you're reading a fic by BlindMan when you nearly spit your soft drink all over the computer screen.

Five times.

You know you're reading a fic by RK_Striker_JK_5 when there is NO WAY in the vast cosmos that this crossover could possibly work... but it does. Flawlessly. And you begin to wonder why no one else tried to crossover these two things that are so obviously meant for each other.

Huggles to all of our fantastic writers, mentioned and unmentioned! [:D]

24. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002

Sorry Imp, didn't mean to cause friction w/ your friend :(

Now now, there is only ONE set of Triplets in my story...it's not my fault that they run amok.

Yes, if you're going to have a character as a scientist, she should actually KNOW something about science ;)

You know you're reading JadeMax when you have to wipe off your monitor screen because it's fogged up from her steamy Kyp/Jaina scenes [face_love]

25. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    You know you're reading a fic by GreatOne (even when she tries hiding by using a sock) when:

1. The story centers around Han

2. Han gets tortured, beaten, becomes ill, or is otherwise hurt, but still manages to look sexy

3. Han and Leia go through great angst

4. Han and Leia always end up together

5. Luke and Mara are inserted as a token nod that other couples exist

6. The story centers around Han

7. Han is somehow humiliated, but still manages to look sexy

8. JarJar, Boba Fett show up as comic relief, and are dealt with in the manner they deserve

9. The author frequently incorporates readers' suggestions, no matter how silly, and makes them fit right into the story

10. There are daily posts. Yeah!

11. One story barely ends before a new one is started.

12. The story centers around Han

Love all your stories, Mary! =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.