main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You know you're reading a fanfic by (so-and-so) when...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Sebulba2179, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

You also know you're reading Gabri Jade when you have a strong suspicion that the person on the other side of the keyboard, is, in fact, Mara Jade Skywalker.

- I don't know why there's the suspicion, when I've been saying for years that Gabri_Jade IS Mara Jade Skywalker!!! :rolleyes: :p

2. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    You also know you're reading Gabri Jade when you have a strong suspicion that the person on the other side of the keyboard, is, in fact, Mara Jade Skywalker.

Hmm, I thought it was Tweedle Dee. [face_thinking]

:p [face_mischief]

3. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Ah, thanks, rhonderoo, Emmi, and Mara -- uh, I mean, Gabri. :p

You know you're reading a story by Gabri_Jade when you keep wishing DRL would grant her enough time to write a loooong story.

You know you're reading a story by kayladie when it's ages between posts, but when you do get a new one, it's so good that it more than makes up for the wait. :D

You know you're reading a story by LadyPadme when the M/L scenes are so wonderful, you forget that she's first and foremost a H/L-shipper.

You know you're reading stories by EmilieDarklighter or obaona when you're constantly amazed that people so young can write such pro-quality work.

You know you're reading a story by rhonderoo and Jedi_Trace when it flows so beautifully that it's impossible to tell who wrote which parts. So you have to ask! :p

4. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    YK: [face_laugh] Well, that was unexpected. :p Can't find fault with your taste, though. [face_mischief]

LP: I keep telling you that I need a holdout blaster and working lightsaber to really be Mara! My plastic light-up lightsaber just isn't the same . . . :p

Bri: *thwacks soundly* [face_beatup] :p

Michele: [face_laugh] Thanks, dear. [:D]

A couple more:

You know you're reading a fanfic by YodaKenobi when you will never again be able to hear 'Paperback Writer' by the Beatles without singing "X-wing starfighter" to the chorus. :p

You know you're reading a fanfic by Bri_Windstar when the author always seems inexplicably surprised to see so many replies, even though the story's awesome as usual. :p :*

5. CarrKicksDoor

CarrKicksDoor Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Well, duh. :p

6. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Mean to say...he isn't? :eek: [face_mischief]

You know you're reading a fanfic by...

Maychorian:
    a) You know that Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are meant to be the best master-padawan team ever, come what may (heh!)...and you dissolve into a contented mass of goo with the lovely, wholesome mush. b) You want to take away her kid-OC's and cuddle them... c)She terrifies you with warnings of evil and nasty plot-twists...and you scan each post, wondering what fresh disaster she's going to conjure up - and love it all in the bargain. :D

Kynstar:
    a) When Master Dooku is the bestest Jedi master EVAH! - and it is right. b) You sympathize with her intensely about the Dook's untimely end in RoTS - and it feels perfectly natural... c) Certain of her collaborative posts with Layren leave you thinking 'Oy vey...it's hot in here!' [face_laugh]

Layren:
    a) Lots of Qui, lots of torture, and lots of...Qui. :D b) Qui and Dooku have a bond since Qui is a crecheling - and you know that this is how it must have been, really. c) See point c for Kyn. :D

Vadersmistress:
    a) You start her story unsuspectingly - and it seems so very innocent at first... b) you sympathize with each move the character makes, and nod to yourself that this is what it ought to have been like... c) And the end is so unexpected that you end up spouting whatever beverage you've swallowed all over the keyboard, by the end. :D

obi_ew:

a) Xanatos is tall, dark and so very drool-worthy. b) OCs, OCs, OCs galore. And you love everyone of them, because they're so very three-dimensional, and you wish Obi really had a 'son' called Shai...
    c) Anakin does not turn, Obi-Wan trains three padawans, they're all one big happy family, and you sigh with regret because you know that this is what it should have been like. d)Did I mention Xanatos? :D

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    You know you're reading Jemmiah, mouse2, Healer Leona:

*When the words "FORESHADOWING!!!!!!" seem to jump at you from all over the place.
    *When you watch TPM and wonder how bad Obi's feet smell on Tatooine.
    *When you watch Qui-Gon die in TPM and instantly think of Leona and Rela.
    *When you see a very handsome blonde man and call him Dex.
    *When you have a new appreciation for oven mitts, seaweed, statues, and fountains.

8. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    You know you're reading either Luv Ewan or Maychorian, when you are just completely blown away by their grasp of language and poetry.

And you're reading Kynstar when you are deep in the struggling dark emotions of Dooku and you are completely rooting for him!

And you're reading o_e when you are in awe that she has just transported you into this wonderful world and characters she's created.

You're reading kayladie when you feel you have never seen ESB or ROTJ as you read her work and you feel like you are watching the movies again for the first time. So refreshing!

You're reading oldjedinurse when you NEVER go into the Beyond, except by accident, and you are completely enjoying a Jaina/ Jag romance and you DON'T LIKE romances! :D

9. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    *Walks in and kicks up*

Umm... I'll have more!

10. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Layren:
    a) Lots of Qui, lots of torture, and lots of...Qui. grin b) Qui and Dooku have a bond since Qui is a crecheling - and you know that this is how it must have been, really. c) See point c for Kyn. grin

Awwww thanks so much Princess!!!!! [:D][:D]

11. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Aww why thank you Princess_Arulmozhi! Glad to be able to enlighten folks with Dooku! [face_mischief] He's juz misunderstood is all! [face_laugh]

Ahh my dear but I could say the same for your fic! Especially Dark Legacy!! Poor Dooku! But he turned back to the Light at the end! [face_dancing] [:D] Thanks Padawan Sis!

12. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    Okay, lets see:

You know you're reading a fanfic by:

The Evil Authors- When every single posted is finished with a cliffie and a [face_devil].

Dantana Skywalker- When she updates once a year, but you're so incredibly in love with her fics that you don't care. And when you love Kyp above all others because the fic shows that Kyp isn't just an arrogant superhero jedi, but that he's human too, and he's vulnerable and lovable.

Darth Ishtar- When you gasp so much you get the hiccups. And when her angst is surprisingly as pleasing as it is distressing.

TKeira Leia- When a fiction is 800,000 pages long, but you read every single last page drooling, laughing, crying, enraged, shocked, giddy, enthralled, and thouroughly satisfied. And when you love Jag above all others because the fic shows the emotion and character behind his stoic facade.

OldJediNurse- When you just want to shout, "MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE!!" etc., etc.

13. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Don't you mean O:)?

*chants for Gabri to write a longer fic*

...or is that Gabri_channeling_MaraJade to write a longer fic

14. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    You know you're reading NYCityGurl when the villains are so despicable that half the thread is dedicated to hating them and an organization of hitwomen has been created solely to threaten them.

So true :p

NYCityGurl- When you find your emotions going every which way every single post. When you realize that half the characters are OCs and you don't particularly care.

Aww, thanks! [:D]

You know you're reading a fic by . . .

YodaKenobi: When it's written soooo much better than Star by Star and you wonder why it isn't canon.

JDH3: When there is an evil cliffie at the end of every post.

Smugglar_Shidakis: When you realize that you're reading K/J . . . and liking it.

VaderLVR64: When you start realizing that Luke and Leia would be EXACTLY like she portreyed them had they been raised by their parents.

oldjedinurse: When, even though there is angst, J/J mush always wins out.

flowerbee: When Mara is in danger.

CodeName_Targeter: When the female lead stuns everyone by kicking butt.

padawan_lunetta: When, even though she SAYS the story is about someone else, the Horns are the main characters.

DarthIshtar: When people die.

15. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004

I guess that's counting Sheng, Nuren, and the 'good' YV I can't think of off the top of my head?

You know you're reading a fic by
    YodaKenobit
    When half of the total attention is devoted to Jaina
    When you read through the first post and decide to give up trying to guess who's canon and who's not

Briman
    When it's a really moving story with Jaina/Kyp and a twenty-year-old Ben Skywalker
    When the story's supposed to be part of an epic trilogy

Tych_sel
    When you know when the next update will be and eagerly anticipate it even though it's only a day away.
    When you can recognize Earth origins in more than half of the OC's names.

Well that's it for now and I gotta get ahead of myself in terms of those CRPA reviews.

16. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    *chants for Gabri to write a longer fic*

:eek:

...or is that Gabri_channeling_MaraJade to write a longer fic

What a great sock name that would be. [face_laugh]

Edit: Dang markups. :p

Edit #4: The markup codes hate me today. I give up. :p

17. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    Ob-ew= When there is almost always xantos and it is very amazingly good. Also when a main character is supposed to be dead. Almost evrey one I seem to read someone dead is there alive. And when Obi-wan is potrayed so amingly.
    Blind Man- When you think that Vader is really a complicated guy. and then laugh your head off.

18. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    NYCitygurl: JDH3: When there is an evil cliffie at the end of every post.

Where?s the fun in writing fanfic if you don?t torture your readers at the end of every post? :confused: [face_mischief] [face_devil]

You know you?re reading a ?fic by...

Tahi: When they?re the best A/T scenes you?ve read, and you curse the fact that official canon didn?t let her write an A/T centric book between Rebirth and SBS.

YodaKenobi:: When you read each post praying they?ll be more Threepio scenes.

Thrawn McEwok: When you?re completely lost at the end of the post, but it?s so good you want more, even if you?re not sure you?ll understand it either.

Pelranius: When Imperial society is written to perfection, and the space battles make you very, very jealous because they?re such a joy to read.

More to come...

JD.

19. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    Hmmm...

NYCityGurl when...

...You cry when the character that everyone - and I mean EVERYONE - hates dies. And don't care. :D

...They all live happily ever after. Mostly.

InyriForge when...

...You print the whole thing out to read on a trip. [face_whistling]

...The OCs are so funny that you fall out of your chair.

...The canon characters are at least as funny. Or funnier.

...Lujayne/Inyri is very important.

Jaya Solo when...

...It all makes sense. No matter what.

...Wes is very important.

Jesina_Dreis when...

...You're sobbing about whoever's death, but still HAVE to finish the marathon read at three am.

...You actually DON'T KNOW if an OC is canon or not. You have to look it up.

SweetPea when...

...It's so sad that...YOU'RE LAUGHING.

...No one is out of character. Ever.

Myri Antilles when...

...It all works out in the end. Mostly.

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Where?s the fun in writing fanfic if you don?t torture your readers at the end of every post?

I have no idea [face_devil]

...You cry when the character that everyone - and I mean EVERYONE - hates dies. And don't care.

I was really surprised by the lack of fireworks after Celeste died . . .

...They all live happily ever after. Mostly.

'Mostly' being the key word [face_devil] ;)

21. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    :p

You know you're reading fan fic by oldjedinurse when you enjoy reading Jaina/Jag. ~ YodaKenobi
    [face_love]
    Thanks...I think!

You're reading oldjedinurse when you NEVER go into the Beyond, except by accident, and you are completely enjoying a Jaina/Jag romance and you DON'T LIKE romances! ~ tangled_sphere
    [face_love]
    Awww. I'm sorry, t_s! Well, okay, not really.

OldJediNurse- When you just want to shout, "MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE!!" etc., etc. ~ AvenKiel
    [face_hypnotized]
    Thanks ... If only I had more time to write more more more more more...

oldjedinurse: When, even though there is angst, J/J mush always wins out. ~ NYCitygurl
    [face_love]
    Are you saying I like happy endings??
    Okay. I do.

**Okay, let's see...

You know you're reading...

YodaKenobi when even a long post seems way too short; you're looking for subtle references; you're not quite sure where allegiances lie.

tangled_sphere when the story is a tight tangle of twists and turns.

NYCitygurl when you love all the characters and feel their emotions and you can't wait for the next chapter and the next interconnected story.

Thrawn McEwok when the writing is so beautiful you can't believe it and so complicated you can't believe it, but you feel compelled to read anyway.

TKeira_Lea when the writing transports you into the characters' lives and you actually forget you're not part of what's going on.

Mirax_Corran when you adore the characters and you know there's going to be mushy mush mush.

VaderLVR when the story seems so touching its almost personal.

...there are so many more, but I've got to get some sleep.

Have fun, everybody.

oldj

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Are you saying I like happy endings??
    Okay. I do.

Yup :) Just like me :)

NYCitygurl when you love all the characters and feel their emotions and you can't wait for the next chapter and the next interconnected story.

Awww thanks!!! :D

23. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    Mirax_Corran when you adore the characters and you know there's going to be mushy mush mush.
    Aw, thanks. Mushy mushy mush is a very good thing.

24. GabriChannelingMara

GabriChannelingMara Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2005
    *comes in before you all in a flash of red-gold hair, emerald green eyes, and a cool, billowy cape (cause capes are cool like that)*

If a longer fanfic is what you want, a longer fanfic is what you shall have. *nods sagely*

*cracks fingers and opens MS Word*

*...fails at grasping plot bunnies*

*kills them all with (plastic light-up) lightsaber*

*giggles madly* ;) :p

25. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

* thwacks GCM with walking stick *

Impudent! :p

* shuffles away as fast as old geriatric feet will go *

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.