main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You know you're reading a fanfic by (so-and-so) when...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Sebulba2179, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Ah, this is how you figure out loyalties: go through all the people who post here who read your fics and see if they mention you once... Thanks to those who do.

2. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    ARGH! :eek:

Why, oh why did I make that sock comment without making the sock itself? :_|

All right, whichever whippersnapper is behind that sock had better 'fess up. *taps foot exasperatedly*

*goes to investigate primary suspects*

3. GabriChannelingMara

GabriChannelingMara Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2005
    Whippersnapper! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I am not a whippersnapper!! Tis Mara, I am, which makes me Gabri! Which makes me OLD!!!

:p

4. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    *head in hands* With friends like this . . . :p

*thwacks*

5. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    *comes in utterly horrified*

Who?! Who would play such a prank on poor Gabri?! :eek: :(

Lemme at 'em! [face_beatup]

;)

6. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    That's it. No sparkly belt for you until you make amends by finishing a nice fanfic that I can reference in this thread. [face_not_talking] Preferably an L/M. ;)

7. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    :eek: :(

*cracks fingers and opens MS Word*

*...fails at grasping plot bunnies*

Yeah, I got nothin' :p

8. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    *giggles uncontrollably* I love you people.

You know you've read a fic by Bri when you're sure the last one came over a year ago. :p And yes, I know that's the pot calling the kettle black.

9. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    Oh no. I'm gonna have to try my hand at this.

So, you know you're reading a 'fic by...

-Tenel-Ka- when you find yourself paying obsessive attention to color...

Gabri_Jade when you find yourself madly in love with Mara Jade to the point that you forget about what your life is really like and instead write down lists of ways to kill Luke and still have her fall for you. Oh, and ditto for the GCM thing.

obaona when you finish reading her 'fic, you are both inspired to write an incredible viggie of your own and deeply saddened by the fact that you know it'd never be half as good as hers.
    OR
    when you can't read just one--you have to go and look over one or two or seven of her old viggies after you finish reading the one you're on now.

YodaKenobi when you feel terrible for being a fan of Jacen Solo love seeing him humiliated in the stories, yet turn around and defend him vociferously when outside the confines of the 'fic.
    OR
    when you can't remember which was the real NJO final battle and which was the one YK had at the end of his trilogy. And then you go read TUF again, and realize it was YK's, and then realize that his was way more awesome. And then you get all sad that it can't be both ways at the same time.

Thrawn_McEwok when you have to literally steel yourself and pray to God before you feel ready to start reading the next post.
    OR
    when Jacen/Vergere starts to make way more sense than any of the alternatives...

TKeira_Lea when Kyp Durron becomes your favorite character. Period.
    OR
    when you fall madly in love with the OC that Jacen Solo is madly in love with but still in denial about.
    OR
    when you feel like writing term papers on her stories rather than on the books for your stupid classes... stupid classes...
    OR
    when all the things that you like about Jacen Solo are explained, made consistent, and augmented by various other great qualities that make him a magnificent Jedi.
    OR
    when you notice that the Solo twins use phrases that their parents use(d in the movies or books), and suddenly the familial relationship makes a lot of sense.
    OR
    when Tycho Celchu gets angry. ANGRY. And it freakin' rocks. And you find yourself searching the boards for every Tycho Celchu story you can find just because you think he's so awesome now.

I could go on, but I end her section with this: when you feel compelled to thank her because she is such a dedicated, wonderful writer and person whose fans adore her and her work.

...talkingbanana when you read just one story post and immediately add to your watched users list. And you get within a hairsbreadth of posting a 'fic of your own just because hers inspired you.

Jedi-2B when you start getting your own fantasies of Mara in a whirlpool...

Dana when you start getting jealous of Kyp and Jaina being together.

SaberBlade when you almost start crying at the end of a viggie even though you are a heartless monster with no emotions.

Jesina_Dreis when you're reminded of how Wedge Antilles has always been your hero and always will be.

aaaaand, last:

You know you're reading a 'fic by TheCrazyRodian when it's either the year 2030 and he's finally posted something, or you're on drugs and think he's posted, or you're on drugs and you think it's the year 2030, or you're on drugs, it is the year 2030, and he's on drugs, and he writes a story about the year 2030 and... uh... oh, yeah, or when you know that the end of the world is imminent.

There are more things I could say about dozens of more authors--but I will save that for later. No sense spoiling it all in one post. Besides, I have hundreds of 'fics to reread before I feel qualified to do it.

10. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    [face_laugh]

That's too priceless! Kima, you better catch that sock! :p

Ah! [:D]

Did I really make you like Tycho that much? I mean he da man but I think it's so cool you realized that in my story :cool:

11. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Bri, you're going to have a talk with your muse.

12. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    OK, I have a couple:

By moi, DarthBreezy; You know that at least one of the chapters will be PM version by request.

By Geo3; You only realize that you've been holding your breath when you fall over off your computer chair...

By GunRaysLawyer; That the Name Dorme' actually means there is far more to being a handmaiden then a few trite lines and sacrificial lambs.

By BlindMan; that no matter how rotten you feel, A/V and sometimes Suzie will make you really [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

By Meredith_B_Mallory, that sometimes it may be a wait, but the pay off is always worth it when it comes to amazing reads...

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I thought it was that one of the chapters might NOT be available by PM. ;)

14. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    Okay... got a few more. You guys are hilarious. :p

You know you're reading a fic by:

ThrawnMcEwok- When you have to read the whole thing about three times through before you understand what in the frell he's getting at... and later realize that you've missed something... but you keep reading it and loving it anyway. ;)

YodaKenobi- When you have officially declared his fanfics the replacement end for the NJO and you refuse to re-read anything post-FH3 because of this. When you lap up every moment of his action scenes... even though you don't like action scenes... :p

Kristeh- When you go to your least favorite era every day to check for updates.... When you wish Anakin could have stayed on the lightside just so we could see him be such an adorable daddy.

15. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    You know you're reading Frostfyre when a game you really didn't like all that much is woven carefully into one of your favorite stories, and you regularly check your least favorite era to see if it's been updated.

16. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Hehe, these have been funny to read.

You know you're reading a fanfic by TKeira_Lea when you are given a gimmer stick because her character just make you want to hit them when they decide not to talk things out and then you're given a new name. Thwack :p

You know you're reading a fanfic by Darth_Lex when you swear it's not a novel but a work of art and you believe he should have wrote Star Wars.

You know you're reading a fanfic by LadyPadme when you threaten to sic the pet of one of your OC's on her characters and end up with the award for posting the most in her story.

You know you're reading by obaona when you reaction to it is this :eek: and you are still like :eek: days later.

More to come....

17. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Thanks to those that mentioned me. [face_blush]

You know you're reading a fanfic by Darth_Lex when it's more than professional - it is what professional writing should be like.

You know you're reading a fanfic by J_M_Bulldog when it's got furry aliens with a lot of history and complexity. (Sorry, couldn't resist. [face_batting] )

You know you're reading a fanfic by Gabri_Jade when Mara is written with humor believably.

You know you're reading a fanfic by Lady_Moonbeam when it's like poetry, and it makes you cry, and you read it again anyway because it's just so lovely.

You know you're reading a fanfic by Knight_Aragorn when there are no ordinary sentences; each is poetical and important.

You know you're reading a fanfic by Master_Noi when you can't explain why you like it, you just do.

You know you're reading a fanfic by Pallas-Athena when it's so original, each word seems perfectly chosen, and regardless of the plot, it is absolutely unique.

:D

18. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    Arin_Atona when you wish that his story could be exactly transferred to film so that there might actually be a good Star Wars movie that came out in the last twenty years.

Tahi when it's poetry, and really damn good poetry at that.
    OR
    when the side art for a parody songfic involves Onimi wearing a hoodie and flashing gang signs. Ominem...
    OR
    when the story has Rodians in it that aren't dead within four sentences of being first mentioned. Seriously. Why does everyone else have to be such a hater?

LadyPadme when Han and Leia are apart for like two and a half epic-length stories and the whole time you're all, "Dude, ***, you both need to grow up," then you remember that you're getting angry over a story and feel really awkward for about two seconds before going back and finishing the story.

1Yodimus_Prime when you're unjustly the only person to read and reply to a story with a hilariously off-the-beaten-path narrative voice.

Darth_Lex when his OC literally has his own fan club. Seriously. With lots of drooling fangirls.

LP edit: Thank you for your kind words, but unfortunately the starred out one is not allowed :)

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Wonderful thread! I've read some very true and some very amusing things so far ;)

Uh oh [face_worried]

It's gulag grass/rice mush, I'm telling you! And this is important!

Extra points for a Biblical reference and the soft-core pr0n star in the same post.

Are you counting sigs? Because then, to be fair, there are twice as many 'Alec's in my sig as there are 'Ewan's ;) Look, it's not his fault he's wonderful. Quit picking on him! You think the threads are bad? You should have seen the results when I really *did* run this search on the logs for my IM convos with Terr_Mys for the last year. Let's just say it was used more than either of our names 8-}

Now it's time to pick on you, ophelia [face_devil]

Or you begin to not even *need* a logical explanation for things like this.

But then you start to think said Sith Lord might have heard you and sent his army of ant pals into the author's house through her computer plug socket as Vengeance. Ha! Get it? ... Shutting up.

Or in my privellaged case, one of Obi-Wan's favourite hard liquors [face_mischief]

My turn! You know you're reading a story by ophelia when...
    - You wouldn't mind another 300,000 words.
    - You've spent more time and words on replies to the story in the last year than you have on writing your own story :p
    - The readers and author interactions resemble a pitch for a really trippy cartoon series about a dysfunctional family of philosophic, slightly mentally unbalanced beverages who all happen to be fixed on this insane monk who wanders by the fridge every once in a while.
    - If given the choice between seeing Obi-Wan destroy the Sith or the Medical Droid, you'd much rather see him have at the droid.
    - A chapter can manage to make you seriously consider the implications of societal moraes about women, literally laugh out loud, cry, want to hug Obi-Wan, and think "Ooooh, explosions are *cool*" :cool:
    - You've never been so ripped apart by poor Anakin's personal struggles before.
    - Every culture and location sparks of reality.
    - The story can go on for pages about Obi-Wan's favourite childhood goldfish, and somehow still manages to be brilliant.
    - You've developed an uncanny Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon esque relationship with the author, and it doesn't even seem strange anymore.
    - Words aren't enough to express what you feel about the story... but that's certainly not going to stop you from using a lot of them to try.
    - You don't know what you're going to do when it's not around almost every day anymore :_|

I'll have to get to some other wonderful authors later, but as usual, someone has made me ramble on again :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

20. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Heh, this thread is much fun.

DarthIshtar- You don't know or care if it's going to end up K/J or J/J, everyone is perfectly in character, and you end up laughing and crying at the same time.

21. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    [face_blush] Aw, thanks, Emmi! Glad that I could cheer you up. :D

[face_laugh] I love the boy, but he can be a stubborn one! :p Thanks!

:eek: I might be offended by that 'ages between posts' bit...if it weren't pitifully true. :p Glad you think they're worth the wait, at least! ;)

[face_blush] Oh, my! Are you sure you don't have me confused with someone else? :p Thank you so very much for such a lovely compliment!

Okay, I've got some more!

You know you're reading a fic by Jedi Trace when Mara is wonderfully human without losing her tough edge. And you love her more just cause she loves Luke so much. [face_love]

You know you're reading a fic by rhonderoo (even if you lurk in it [face_blush] ) when she makes the most die-hard Luke fan (that would be me) realize there's another very intriguing Skywalker man in this saga. ;)

You know you're reading a fic by Pariah when you throw your hands up in the air, and wonder why you even attempt to write because there's no way, no how that you could ever match the sheer beauty of her work.

You know you're reading a fic by VaderLVR when she can get that die-hard Luke fan (again, me) to read a story that doesn't even have Luke in it!! :eek: :p

You know you're reading a fic by kristeh when Luke is constantly in mortal danger, but you're not worried because you know she's way too much of a softy to really kill him. ;)

You know you're reading a fic by Knight_Aragorn when she does kill Luke off in her story :_| and yet, you still think it's one of the most beautiful things you've ever read.

You know you're reading a fic by Emmi when you wonder what the heck they're feeding youngsters these days to make them so amazingly talented at this writing stuff! :D And you can't wait to see what she's going to do next.

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Awww, thanks, smuggler.

23. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    It's true. :)

You can call me Gina.

24. talkingbanana

talkingbanana Jedi Master star 3

Jun 4, 2003
    [face_blush] Wow, thanks!

(And you should post that fic of your own, btw. :p )

25. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    And you know you're reading this thread when your stomach hurts and you're suddenly squeaking to keep the laughter from bursting out. :p [face_laugh]

kayladie: Kay! :eek: If you think MY stuff is that good, you need to be careful because everyone else's might just make your brain explode! [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.