main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Not a plot spoiler, but a line in the series where Colleen and Misty say
    Knight Wing as their teamup name.
    To which, kids today refer to "shipping."

I'm totally not surprised that Iron Fist was cancelled on Netflix, and I predicted this would be the fate of Marvel properties on Netflix in the Daredevil thread last month: https://boards.theforce.net/threads/marvels-daredevil.50017548/page-41

Also, if more people would have watched season two of Iron Fist, I would have been about to talk more about it in detail on why the cancellation was predictable.

I think after is overlooking the exact working in the statement released by Marvel regarding season three of Iron Fist, which is:
    To me, that's totally saying "Iron Fist will no longer by on Netflix, but you'll see the character live on the Disney/Marvel service or network."

Master_Lok and Diggy like this.
  2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    @Sith_Sensei__Prime “To me, that's totally saying "Iron Fist will no longer by on Netflix, but you'll see the character live on the Disney/Marvel service or network."

I wouldn’t be surprised if that happens.

I’ve never been a shipper with any characters, but that’s a cute DC nod. For me, shipping seems to screw up relationships (Mulder and Scully being the worst culprits, imo), but if that’s what the characters want and it makes some fans happy, works for me.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    While this will certainly be a situation that will test what the Netflix deal can do, you can just as easily read the statement as saying "The Iron Fist series is over, but the character will continue to appear in our other shows" without directly announcing either a new spin-off series (like HFH), announcing casting for a series that hasn't been officially renewed yet (LCS3) or potentially spoiling an element of an unreleased season (DDS3).

Given that the Netflix shows were specifically singled out as not carrying over to the Disney service due to their content/"rating" and NF proprietary deal, I can't see Disney trying to force the issue. Continuing a show on a new platform without the ability/desire to include the previous seasons/spin-offs generally isn't viable.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It's actually a reference to their detective agency in the comic

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Master_Lok likes this.
  6. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    =D=

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Netflix intends to keep its Marvel shows.

'Certainly there’s been renewed speculation that “Daredevil,” “Jessica Jones,” “Luke Cage” and “The Punisher” will eventually be pushed to Disney’s streaming platform. However, Netflix’s Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos tells Inverse this week that fans shouldn’t worry – those shows aren’t going anywhere: Those shows are for us to cancel and we’re super happy with their performance so far.”'
    The bold is mine. That statement tracks with what I understood the NF deal to be (although it obviously doesn't address the question of new spin-offs/team-ups, I suppose they could always circumvent that problem and repurpose The Defenders as an umbrella team-up title).

Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @The2ndQuest

I do think the Mouse will play nice with Netflix for a bit once it lanuches it's own service next year. But eventually we all know the Mouse will play for keeps like he always does:

[​IMG]

9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The comments made by Netflix's Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos, whereby he says, "Those shows are for us to cancel and we’re super happy with their performance so far."

This isn't really any new news as last month in an interview with EW, Marvel TV Executive, Jeph Leob pretty much said the same exact thing:
    I have no doubt that Netflix has a right in their contract to cancel any of their Marvel shows, as they are a customer ordering content from Marvel. And that would make Marvel the supplier of the content, and therefore it would be expected as the supplier, they would have a right to refuse and/or terminate the deal to supply content to Netflix if they so desired to do so. It's important to keep in mind, that Netflix does not have a license to create Marvel shows, nor have a license to keep these characters beyond the content they've ordered. The Marvel shows created on Netflix are created by Marvel Entertainment and Marvel Television in association with ABC Studios.

I remember when news broke that the rights of Daredevil would be reverting back to Marvel from Fox.

The Hollywood Reporter - August 14, 2012
    Fox's Daredevil Rights on Verge of Reverting to Marvel as Ticking Clock Looms (Video)

I cited to the article above to provide a certain context to the statement of Netflix has the right to cancel the Marvel shows. While they have the right to cancel, they most likely don't have the right to maintain or hold on to the characters beyond the shows they're ordered and paid for. Meaning, unlike the deal Marvel had with Fox for Daredevil as referenced above, Netflix can't keep Daredevil away from Disney/Marvel. Netflix doesn't have a licensing right to allow them to create their own Marvel content. And in light of the previous deal with Fox for the licensing of Daredevil, I would tend to believe that Marvel provided themselves a termination clause in their contract with Netflix. So while, Netflix does hold the right to cancel it's customer order with Marvel for more content, it's very likely that Marvel has the right to refuse and cancel orders to supply and provide content with Netflix.

At any rate, I honestly don't see either Jessica Jones or Luke Cage going more than three seasons. I know it's a very small sample size, but as evidence by this message board, even some of the biggest Marvel fans didn't tune in for season two of Jessica Jones or Luke Cage. Some did give season two a try, but gave up after a couple of episodes. And I think that was the case for The Punisher as well. The only Marvel Netflix series to appear to have some legs is Daredevil.

It will be interesting to see if Netflix announces more Marvel shows after 2019, considering Disney would have launched its own streaming service by then.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  10. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I said it before in this thread, Karen Gillian has a movie under her belt. Nebula is a legit GotG member (well, okay, on her way there I think) Have Nebula direct Guardians in her Nebula makeup! That would be crazy if only for how long days she'd have to pull in the makeup trailer and directing.

PCCViking likes this.
  12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    It would be great to get some more diversity in the directors of the MCU. Whoever gets the gig, has to get the same tone James Gunn set for Guardians of the Galaxy franchise, which flirts with the line of being campy, but yet, have a lot of heart. Anyway, the film as been delayed again as filming won't stay until 2021. As of right now, I can't say I'm really looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3 with the departure of James Gunn. Additionally, I might be satisfied and have a sense of closure with the Guardians franchise by the time Avengers 4 drops into theaters.

And speaking of James Gunn, and thinking about the news he's taking over Suicide Squad.

[​IMG]

13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Kathryn Bigelow would be insane, I think she could pull off the humor. I know she’d ace the action and characterization.

I am not familiar with many female directors, so given her genre and war movie work she was the first person to come to mind.

Karen Gillian: that would be unbelievablely brutal for anyone to direct a film, while playing such a make up heavy character, kudos if she does. The question is, would she want to given the whole situation with Gunn?

14. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I wouldn't mind a new promising director being tried. It's possible I'm overlooking some but I can count on one hand the number of existing popular/mainstream female feature directors in Hollywood.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well ****.

https://deadline.com/2018/10/luke-c...flx-mike-colter-cheo-hodari-coker-1202486487/
    Netflix Pulls The Plug On ‘Luke Cage’, No Season 3 For Marvel’s Harlem Hero
    This axing of a second member of The Defenders comes as a bit of a surprise as a writer’s room under showrunner Cheo Hodari Coker had tentatively been put together. The pink slipping of the Mike Colter-led series was ultimately a combo of the age old creative differences and the inability for the parties involved to reach a deal.

Well I thought Iron Fist on Luke Cage Season 3 was a guarantee but GEEZUS!!!

Okay, uhm, just make Heroes for Hire. Please? Combo both cancelled shows into one? Disney Streaming revival? Anyone?

16. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    What!?!? I really liked season 2 what is going on?

17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Dang...I won’t be surprised if Daredevil winds up being the only Marvel solo character show on Netflix.

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    It really should be. LC and JJ both had good first seasons, and utterly forgettable second ones. IF was a joke from day 1, and what I watched of Punisher was a chore.

Give Daredevil a proper ending season or two, and then let Disney do what they want with TV properties that tie in with the films, or whatever. That's all that is needed.

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Heroes for Hire here we come.

Funnily enough, I finished IF a few minutes ago, an absolute grind to get through. I thought it was nice that the protector of K’un L’un didn’t really give a crap it disappeared.

I actually thought the last two minutes of the final episode were great and the best of the whole thing.

Overall, a pointless, terrible waste of time.

(And I’m fairly sure heelsy is aroused reading this)

Edit: so Cage was cancelled by Netflix, but wasn’t IF cancelled by Disney, despite Marvel wanting it to continue? Are these cancellation orders pure speculation, or is there a Cold War of sorts?

20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    full on randy marsh

Diggy likes this.
  21. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I dunno about that. This is obviously conjecture but I would think Marvel has a contract with Netflix to supply them with shows from a specific roster of characters (the ones from the first four primary series) should Netflix wish to put them into production. Spinoffs like Punisher probably have to be added to that on a case by case basis but once created Netflix likely has the same option on ordering new seasons that they do with the originals. I kinda doubt they have the same use-it-or-loose-it ticking clock that Fox had with the Daredevil movie rights. They probably had an initial agreement for a set number of seasons on each show with a option up to a specific number of additional seasons and an end date on the entire arrangement at some point in the future. I know the Daredevil showrunner said some time ago they have 6 seasons of the show already outlined.

As for Disney simply producing the shows for their streaming service once Netflix cancels them I kinda doubt it. They may not be able to until the contract with Netflix is up and even when that happens, Netflix will still own the already existing espisodes of all these series. (Netflix is the producer, they supply the budget and contract out the physical production to Marvel). So Disney would have to choose between carrying only later seasons of the shows on their service or license them from Netflix (talk about a table turn, if they were even willing to do it at all). I don't really see that happening, especially if the shows weren't popular enough to survive on Netflix to begin with.

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Well Disney doesn’t do short term these days. They could hold everything until eights revert, and then reboot. The original deal was 60 episodes. Who the hell knows what’s going to happen...other than the inevitable Disney takeover of Netflix.

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    it may be less than not popular and more than it totally blew up behind the scenes (from the original link which was expanded by deadline with juicy details).

With a season perched on the conclusion of the June 22 launched Season 2 plotted out months and months ago, detailed drafts for the first half of the 10-episode projected third season were delivered to Marvel and Netflix this week.

We hear that some execs had issues with the more developed scripts, even though they strongly incorporated suggestions from both Netflix and Marvel brass.

Add to that, the writers’ room was put on hold for a week in September, as the streamer and the Disney-owned company were figuring out the mechanisms of changing the deal for the planned Luke Cage third season from the original 13-episodes to a slimmed down 10-episodes. It eventually escalated to behind-the-scenes turmoil in the past two days and demands for changes in creative reign. With Marvel and Netflix seemingly in intractable and different sides of the disputes, a harsh cancelation became the only viable exit strategy, it appears.

In another sense, the cancellation was a done deal as the situation became tense on the corporate level. The Marvel shows on Netflix are costly to make, even with New York’s generous tax credits. Back in 2013, the streamer paid top dollar for the series, that they don’t even own so cutting Luke Cage loose was a shift bottom line call.

At this point there is no plans for owner Marvel to resurrect Luke Cage on the upcoming Disney streaming service. But, being that the Simone Missick co-starrercrashed Netflix in its first season opening weekend in September 2016 and had a very well watched and well received 13-episode Season 2, it could be a Sweet Christmas, as Cage likes to quip

Personally, I'm still hoping that Netflix decides to go with Heroes For Hire and put in some showrunners they can get along with / make a better deal. I'm fine with 8 episodes! Just not Scott Buck!

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Dammit- I still have 3 or 4 episodes left in season 2 of LC but it's been a really good season, even better than the first (and I liked the first quite a bit). Very few shows have really captured the sense of a place/atmosphere like it did. It's even more annoying that it was a creative breakdown that led to it and not something like performance.

I mean, at least if it was Thanos it would explain why half of the Defenders just vanished...

25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I thought season 2 of Luke Cage was good, so this is a surprise.