main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Which Hulk wouldn’t be in this?

But ignoring that, it’s fair to say this character I’ve never heard of has his supporting characters available and whatever post said he didn’t was BS?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Netflix canned Daredevil despite it being the 4th most watched show on it's platform

I think this confirms that this is pretty much a symptom of the Netflix Marvel shows being on the chopping block due to paying for license rights and the forthcoming of DisneyPlus streaming service and not declining viewers. Netflix spends literally billions of dollars on content but for some reason they got a bugabo about having to keep forking over cash to the Mouse.

So what is the future for the Defenders shows in the MCU? Hopefully somewhere else cuz people seem want it!

https://deadline.com/2018/12/darede...ist-jessica-jones-punisher-disney-1202514072/

When Netflix executives decided to cancel the Marvel series Daredevil they turned a blind eye to viewer demand.

That’s evident in the latest numbers from Parrot Analytics which reveal that Daredevil ranked fourth last week in viewer demand among all digital originals in the United States across all streaming platforms.

Demand for the sightless superhero series was surpassed only by three shows (Narcos, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and Stranger Things, all from Netflix) during the week ending Dec. 1, the chart shows. The chart measures “desire, engagement and viewership” with weighted values that, for example, would give heft to the total “likes” a show accumulates but not as much weight as the total number of actual viewings.

Daredevil, which was cancelled on Nov. 29, finished the month’s final week with close to 30 million demand expressions. It finished ahead of Hulu’s The Handmaid’s Tale as well as Netflix peers like The Last Kingdom, House of Cards and Orange is the New Black.

While Netflix ponied up for production costs for the Marvel shows the streaming service had zero ownership stake in the IP. That limited upside was acceptable until Marvel’s parent, Disney, announced next year’s launch of Disney+, a direct rival to Netflix that will have Marvel Studios content as a flagship in its formidable armada.

Disney will also be withdrawing its past and present content from Netflix in the months ahead. That effectively reduced the Marvel shows on Netflix to the corporate equivalent of refugees.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  3. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Either Bob changes his mind on allowed content levels on Disney + or Daredevil goes to Hulu. I think Punisher goes as well. Jessica Jones will depend on how well received her third season is. I think Luke Cage and Iron Fist are done as solo acts and they will move into Heroes for Hire with Daughters of the Dragon included there as well. Jessica could fit there if they decided to advance her romance with Luke or have her as a hero for hire.

I don't see a scenario where Marvel scraps all 5 shows especially when 4 were successes and 1 was getting better received.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Eh, no. As I said earlier, some of the main characters of his supporting cast and background is owned by the the Sax Rohmer estate (or whoever owns that).

Going by movies like the Great Wall so is it ok to show Chinese characters in a negative light if they are the right (or is that wrong?) Chinese characters - like a idiot emperor and his corrupt underlings.

That's the first time I have heard about that, do you know how that ban on the occult and dark arts work?

o_O where did you get the idea that he could be given some kind of Multiple Man mutant powers? I have no memories of he having anything like that in the comics :confused:

In the Shang Chi stories I have read so is SC more or less the highest level of what pseudo-realistic movies like The Raid show when it comes to his abilities. Ignoring the Warzone one and the Spider-island one where he temporarly gets spider-powers

I like the current actor :(
    Even if he needs a bit more training and better fight coordinator.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    PimpBacca likes this.
  5. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I remember at the time Swinton was cast to play the Ancient One it was explained that making the character Tibetan as it was in the comics was seen as potentially problematic for Chinese approval of the movie since suggesting Tibet was a distinctly different place from China could be viewed as a political statement about China's incorporation of the country back in the 1950's. Casting someone who wasn't Asian at all just avoided giving the impression of making a statement one way or the other on it. That was later walked back though and they cited it as a means of avoiding some very dated stereotypes with regards to the character.

But there is also an assortment of restrictions on how the use of magic is depicted and what sorts of characters can be shown using it, namely with regard to depicting certain types of priests with supernatural abilities. If you ever dig into it you'll find it gets finicky and convoluted fairly quickly. The entire spread of restrictions they have over there for films and television is nothing short of absurd.

6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    And yet Taoist priests destroying vanpires in all kinds of crazy ways is still a-okay.

I miss the Shaw Brothers black magic movies: Bonkers and gross as all get out. That was Hong Kong in 70s and early 80s though.

I suppose Strange gets a pass because he’s a good wizard who is not reciting spells :( and the dimensional entities do not come across like demons?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000

Yeah, in the John Campea video posted by @PimpBacca, it's mentioned that Dr. Fu Manchu was a character the was created in a series of novels, which is owned by the Sax Rohmer estate. So, Disney/Marvel don't have the rights to that character. But, even if they did, I doubt they would use the character because of the potential of problems of Asian stereotypes associated with that name.

The Hollywood Report: Ghostbusters' Denied Release in China
    And there's this article titled Navigating Restrictions in China’s Film Industry regarding the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television (SARFT) for censorship prior to being cleared for import into China (SARFT China's version the MPAA).

It's a Marvel Now! thing. From the "New Avengers" #38 It's a small part of the Time Run Out story line on the road to Secret Wars (2015)

[​IMG]

See this video around the 15:35 mark

Now, that would be something if Phase IV is leading towards a Secret Wars film to reset the MCU with X-Men and Fantastic Four in their stable.

PimpBacca, Master_Lok and Gamiel like this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    For MCU uber- completists, the "Prelude to Captain Marvel" comic is basically 70% new content, bookended by Fury's final scenes in Age of Ultron and Infinity War, basically Hill and Fury were just sneaking about in the background but occasionally meeting up with Cap and Stark to try to get them to settle them there feuding. Great quip from Stark to Hill as does she even work for Stark anymore? Although for a comic called Prelude to Captain Marvel, they only mention her, like once in the comic and Fury using the pager. That's it! So much for prelude. But I do like how the MCU comics actually give you a lot of "What Nick was off doing" stories if you're looking for them.

It looks like the next 2 issues will be an Infinity War adaptation and I usually bail on the adaptations but I think I'll pick these up. Why? Because I want to see how the hell they fit in all of Infinity War into only 44 pages!

PCCViking likes this.
  9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    [​IMG]

Survivors of the Snap, except for Shuri.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  10. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Thought Valkyrie, Korg, and Miek's fates were completely unknown at the end of the movie; all that the Powers That Be have said is that they escaped Thanos' attack on the ship at the beginning?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Also is The Collector dead? That was just a reality stone projection, he could have scampered off.

Fun fact: Brolin and Del Toro were wrapping up filming on the Sicario sequel and were basically like "What are you doing next?" "Oh, going off to shoot Avengers" "Me too!"

12. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

My fondest hope is that the director takes a cue from Infinity War and has Dr. Strange engage in proper mage duels, rather than just the martial arts with crystals and glowing ropes we saw in the first Strange movie.

15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Thanks @dp4m!
    Woooooooooot! And TNT is showing Doctor Strange yet again as I type. :)

@Jedi Merkurian agreed. If Scott combines IW Strange with the trippy visuals (Multiverse please) from the first DS, that would be great. Funny, mom is watching DS in bits and pieces and really likes it. It is helping her just a little bit, and this a.m. I thanked Scott on twitter for DS again. So this is pretty great news. [face_party]

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  17. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Going back to the Shang Chi movie I’ve just had a thought. What if James Wan directs it, he’s recently said he doesn’t have a sequel in his Aquaman contract.

Also this on the future of the Netflix hero’s

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Given the box office success Aquaman already has and is likely to get, in combination with the reviews so far, Wb will likely sign him for a sequel. WB is just bad at multifilm contracts- they didn't contract Jenkins for WW84 until after WW1 came out, for instance. It's also possible they're hesitant over doing so after locking in Synder for, effectively, 4 movies caused as many bumps in the road as it did benefits.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and PimpBacca like this.
  19. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    True but I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney hasn’t had a meeting with him.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, it's not impossible for him to do both- but they probably know Wan has a busy schedule already as it is and would be more likely to take an Aqua2 gig where he has post-release negotiating leverage like Jenkins did.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes. This is correct. More than that, it is necessary.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Defenders still have a chance of returning.

Hollywood Reporter: "Would you consider reviving the Marvel shows that Netflix canceled?"

Kevin Mayer (Head of Disney+): “They are very high-quality shows. We haven’t yet discussed that, but I would say that’s a possibility.”
    It's not much, but it's a start.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    They haven’t discussed it?

Turn my bull**** radar up to 11.

25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    that cgi princess leia is almost as offensive as cavillstache

and i agree with dig, they're full of ****

FatBurt and Diggy like this.