main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Technically, the last episode of Luke Cage implies that Trump is president in the MCU now.

Clearly, a Skrull that just has trouble doing hair the same way Odo on DS9 couldn't do ears very well.

2. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Politics neve recovered after it was found out the Vice President was backing extremist.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It seemed to go ok for a couple years- Ellison was still president circa Civil War and still had pull in international affairs.

BigAl6ft6 and cerealbox like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    they dropped an Obama reference on Runaways, I think it's possible that the MCU has had a string of one-term-ers POTUS. What with the alien and robot invasions and Veeps involved in terrorist organizations and all. So it's Obama- Ellis - Trump seems likely.

So I personally have started my MCU rewatch for New Year's Resolution for 2019 - at least one Marvel Cinematic Universe movie a week until the release of Avengers: Endgame. The math works out to 20 movies is 1 a week for 16 weeks plus and once a month double-shot. Also any shorts - which is all the One shots and the World News Web shorts I believe - and a smattering of at least 1 ep of all of the TV shows, the misbegotten tangent of the MCU, yes even 1 ep of Iron Fist and Inhumans! (IF has a good S1 ep where he brawls a bunch of magical people in successon and Inhumans final episode is sorta relevant I guess, Black Bolt talks finally).

So since I am currently watching Runaways S2 and Punisher S2 hits in a few weeks, those are covered. I would bet quite a lot of quatloos that Jessica Jones S3 will air before Endgame. Luke Cage and Cloak and Dagger - S1 finale I guess. Daredevil S2 finale which leads nicely into Defenders finale episode. Or maybe also the Luke Cage/Iron Fist team up episode after Defenders too cuz it was awesome. Agents of SHEILD, the most MCU centric that stand out to me is the post HYDRA reveal ep and the one immediately after that and the S1 finale cuz Nick Fury! So only 3 AoS I would qualify as essential to the overall MCU story (and I don't want to get bogged down in too much AoS rewatching here, it's mostly a movie rewatch)

So when the clock struck after midnight Jan 1st my MCU movie of the week - #1 - Captain America: The First Avenger. I know Cap is all now "Oh, I'm in the future and I'm morally conflicted and I have a beard cuz the future is morally ambiguous" but dammit Cap is a WWII hero who fights the Red Skull. I could watch 6 movies of just this!

now I know Jenna Coleman plays Bucky's double-date in the opening when they go to see Stark's hover car but is that her voice or is it dubbed cuz it doesn't really sound like her at all. Oh and of note Thanos is a freakin' beast Vol 3: the Space Stone is powering all of Hydra's weapons, one small touch blew up Stark's lab. thanos crushed it's container held it and used it.

And also the Agent Carter One shot included on the Iron Man Three Blu Ray. The canon status of the Agent Carter One Shot is somewhat shaky due to the events of the TV series - is it before? After? Never? - but a quick google has a good theory that it takes place before the TV series happens. good enough for me! Then Agent Carter S2 finale cuz it has some good callbacks to First Avenger - Stark's hover car! - and also my favourite scene of Agent Carter and top MCU TV, Howard hitting golf balls into the vortex while Jarvis gives him pointers. but then I remembered Zemo is in the S1 finale so I watched that afterwards too. Also has some good FA callbacks / them getting over the guilt of Steve's death.

and since FA and AC are very Howard Stark-adjacent (Stark flat out introduces the world to Vibraimum in FA also Jarvis is in AC!), it makes for a good first watch before the double shot next of Iron Man and Iron Man 2. So yah, if you're MCU rewatching kiddies, put that there First Avenger 1st, it sets up more MCU tangents than Iron Man does.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    And First Avenger is an entertaining and great movie to boot, a perfect reason to rewatch it :D. My favorite MCU origin story too (Despite loving Doctor Strange whose slight rethink is my second favorite MCU origin).

6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah going mostly for in-universe chronological watching so Guardians of the Galaxy and GotG V2 are basically back to back watches, maybe after Winter Solider. And even though Doctor Strange was released after Civil War, I think slotting it in after Age of Ultron or Ant-Man. Hell maybe even pre WS? (although the Stephen Strange reference that Sitwell says can fly cuz Strange is a rock star Doctor). Black Panther right after CW, then Homecoming, then Ant-Man & the Wasp and Ragnarok and Infinity War as the last few.

fun part is the weekly MCU movie the first week of March? Captain Marvel! Also it's a 90s flashback movie so can fit it in anywhere. Probably should definitely watch the two GotG movies before that though.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You can check out the graphic timelines i embedded in the opening post for my reccomended orders (except for AMATW, which hadn't come out yet when I made the timeline- that would go right before Infinity War), but it also has the only workable solution for the Agent Carter One-Shot: splitting it so that the main mission takes place before AC S1 (since it is part of the opening montage and she's still a low-level agent), assuming she makes a transfer to her S1 office/boss, S1 & S2 happen, then she gets transferred back to her S1 office/boss for whatever reason (damn that glass ceiling) only to be promoted when SHIELD is created. I included the timecodes in case you want to do that.

For ones essential to the movies, I'd also suggest S2 ep 19 with the assault on the Hydra base/setup for Ultron, as well as the opening scene to 20 with the Theta Protocol flashback (and just watch it before AOU).

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    oh cool, thanks, that's very handy all the way on page 1. So you have one shot Consultant after Thor? Personally, I was thinking just watch Incredible Hulk, Consultant, Funny Thing and then Thor. And Avengers right after Thor cuz Avengers is, for me, mostly a Thor sequel (and the Thor post credit scene, directed by Whedon I believe, is directly into Avengers)

Watching First Avenger first the post-credit is the Avengers teaser which is sort of way back out of order in a (mostly) chronological watch but it's still a solid teaser anyway.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The stingers jump around, Incredible Hulk's last scene before the stinger is after a month-later time jump "since last incident" and there's a lot of overlap at that point between the content. Worth noting too that Coulson is meeting Sitwell in the town from Thor while they're both still there in the movie (at least the first time).

So, half of Hulk has already started by time IM2 ends and a little bit of Thor has started. Funny thing gets Coulson to town in Thor while Thor continues. IM2 stinger/Funny Thing ending/Thor continues. Consultant/TIH stinger occurs while SHIELD sets up shop. Thor and Consultant/TIH stinger conclude next day or so. Thor closing montage with busy scientists happens while TIH second-to-last scene occurs a few weeks later. Then Thor stinger happens (possibly in those prior weeks).

So, my reasoning is that since the content of The Consultant occurs between/during the 2nd and 3rd acts of Thor (more than halfway through) and is mostly a footnote, it works best after the movie rather than breaking up Funny Thing & Thor.

Ideally, one would stop TIH before the stinger, watch Funny Thing, Thor, Consultant then pop back to TIH stinger as a supplement to Consultant. You lose the Tesseract direct lead-in to Avengers but now end with TIH stinger's "We're putting together a team..." line that Consultant omits.

And if one doesn't jump around, you're still getting post-TIH stinger info from Consultant and leading into Avengers with talks over team composition, so it still works.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
  11. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I was going to put this in the Cute Overload thread. Then I noticed they have neither fur nor whiskers.

[​IMG]

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Marvel ret-con Loki being evil! Thanos stick made him evil!

https://www.marvel.com/characters/loki/on-screen

https://news.avclub.com/marvel-subtly-retcons-loki-s-supervillain-role-1831460208

Arriving at the Sanctuary through a wormhole caused by the Bifrost, Loki met the Other, ruler of the ancient race of extraterrestrials the Chitauri, and Thanos. Offering the God of Mischief dominion over his brother’s favorite realm Earth, Thanos requested the Tesseract in return. Gifted with a Scepter that acted as a mind control device, Loki would be able to influence others. Unbeknownst to him, the Scepter was also influencing him, fueling his hatred over his brother Thor and the inhabitants of Earth.

"Thanos did it!" Yah I don't buy it, Loki a straight up bastard in the original Thor movie (moreso Avengers) and sort of devalues his character arc to Infinity War "The sun will shine upon us again, brother".

But, on the flipside, all of the Avengers get real angry in the room with Loki's scepter "you people are so petty. And tiny!" so it is probably in there and not a huge retcon. Maybe.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Eh...Loki’s a trickster and a prime manipulator. Thor revealed his half-brother’s con in Ragnarok (and could have sicced the Hulk on Loki again), but didn’t. Loki might have a little good in him, but he’s chaotic evil.

The mind stone may have enhanced his chaos inducing mischief, but not flipped his switch from good to evil. As you say, he was already there in the first Thor. [face_dunno]

Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I recall at the time of Avengers or Dark World Loki being described in an interview as effectively throwing a tantrum in Avengers to explain why his behavior was more vicious in A1 than Thor 1. So this could be playing off of a concept that was already there in some form.

16. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Could act like a Horcrux: makes good people into bitter, argumentative, while increasing the darkness/evil that's already inside a character (like the locket Horcrux enhancing Umbridge's evil even more, allowing someone like her to cast a Patronus Charm where Harry couldn't when he was wearing it).

To sum it up: the Mind Stone didn't cause him to become a you know what; it just gave him "permission," freeing any inhibitions.

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Which is why Vision brings chaos and destruction wherever he goes

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    ^ that's actually a good point cuz if the Mind Stone was driving people buggity boo all the time why isn't everyone just really ticked off and annoyed and antagonistic when Vision is around. Or maybe they were! They did have a Civil War after all. And Vision was in the room when Tony got all persistent about signing the accords.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Keep in mind that the Scepter wasn't just the Mind Stone, but also the Ultron AI construct encasing it and whatever mechanism funneled it to control minds. And Ultron wasn't exactly a stable entity.

So, absent those constructs, the Mind Stone was likely much more benign when in proximity to it.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Kevin Feige was interviewed on the red carpet for the Golden Globes and it was brought up that the director of Vice wants to direct a Silver Surfer movie. Fiege said Mckay was a fan, smart, and helped on Ant Man.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Or did they? I wager Loki and Stephen are still alive.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Chris Evans’ Steve Rogeriish Twitter rant on tech has earned the best answer possible!

[face_laugh]=D=[face_laugh]

I am going to miss these guys.

24. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
  25. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Maybe Loki survived his encounter with Thanos but then got dusted later.