main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    watched Thor the Dark World. Definitely a step down from the original Thor but I still find things I enjoy. One of Korg's rock people dudes is in Thor The Dark World. Thor bashes him to bits. I'm 90% certain that the crowd is chanting Korg too (the subtitles just said "Crowd chanting")

But best YouTube comments that it's Korgs mums boyfriend.

Also you can't take Loki's "death" in Dark World seriously at all after seeing Matt Damon act it in Ragnarok. "All that stuff I did!" Loki actually does melodramatic say "I didn't do it for him!" Which is a bit I thought they made up for Ragnarok. I wish we had gotten more Loki/Odin schemes after this, there's a throwaway line in a Sif ep of Agents of SHIELD, but even that one scene in Ragnarok of Loki's reveal as Odin is worth it. Most God of Mischief moment Loki has in the movie (aside from, y'know, being Odin) is probably in his cell telling the Krused to "take the stairs on the left." Very slyly making mischief there.

The writers on the movie are Christopher Yost (who also wrote Ragnarok but apparently was re-written) and MCU power duo of Markus and McFeely (all the Cap movies, Infinity War and Endgame). All of Markus/McFeely other movies feel like they have a cohesive thematic vision and statement but I don't get that here. I think I read somewhere Joss Whedon was involved in some more content and some point to, the Thor escaping Asgard with Loki stuff? That is also a really fun sequence, anyway.

Last hit of Darcy and Jane Foster. Darcy I wish was around more cuz she's great. ("What's SHIELD?" "It's a secret!" Maybe the SHIELD line Darcy was calling and not getting a response out of was some random HYDRA goon?) Jane had to become the McGuffin in the movie otherwise she doesn't have much of a reason to be there. Portman still has some funny line deliveries here and there ("He's my assistant. My assistant's assistant!"). I still get the feeling we'll see her in Endgame or something. The post-credit Thor arrives moment is lovely, although I'm pretty sure that's Portman's stand-in and not actually Portman herself. I wish the ice monster trapped on Earth final shot had been resolved on Agents of SHIELD or something.

Why is Thor wearing a damn cloak in this movie? It's driving me nuts. Was it because Alan Taylor made game of Thrones. The Asgard scenes are very cloak heavy which is annoying unlike everyone in their comic book armor finery in Thor and Ragnarok. also their swords light up in this movie on Asgard, that's just weird. At least the Warrior Three got the most to do in this movie than any of the other two movies. Great line "It's as if they resent being imprisoned!"

Malketh the Accursed is probably the weakest MCU movie villain despite having a fine actor behind him. The design is kinda cool, the movie is very spaceship heavy which signals the more spaceship heavy MCU future installments would bring. There is some badassery to him if you view that he took a blast from Thor's hammer to the face (after killing Thor's mom) and survived with just a scar. Anything other badassery which is mostly retcon magic because he takes the Aether, the Reality Infinity stone in a liquid formless state, and is able to rip it out of Jane with the flick of his wrist, and actually control and use it. That is pretty high on the power scale. Of course, Jane is able to absorb an Infinity Stone and not, like, explode or something. Maybe it's properties are different in Aether form?

The fact the Aether is an Infinity Stone seems to be something that was made after the fact to me, if only because the only time it's mentioned it's an Infinity Stone at first is in voiceover by Odin looking at book pages, not on screen dialogue, which could have been in post production. And the mid-credits stinger which was shot by James Gunn after the fact (before they started shooting Guardians of the Galaxy).

the final battle with Thor and Malekth skipping across the various world portals is actually pretty great, easily the best action bit in the movie. (2nd best action bit is when Hemdal takes down a whole damn spaceship by himself, probably peak Hemdal awesomeness in the MCU. 2nd bit of Hemdal awesomeness in the MCU is him screaming his way out of his ice prison in Thor) while Malekth is killed in the end, he got hammered into a spaceship and thrown across the galaxy and smashed, in the post credit scene Sif and Volstag have the Aether in a container, and they know it's an Infinity Stone, so how they managed to get it all contained is maybe some other separate Sif n' Volstag Excellent Adventure (coming to Disney+ soon, maybe!). Also when we see it again, it's the Reality Stone already on Thanos' gauntlet so how the thing went from liquid state to stone state happened off screen, maybe Thanos is powerful enough to crush it down to that? Or Volstag and Sif did it?

Anyway, definitely not as good as the other Thor movies but I just mostly quite like it as opposed to really really like it.

Also watched Runaways S2 ep 7 & 8, ep 7 is straight up great like a season/series finale in the middle of the season. And last Punisher episode I saw (s2e4) tried to drum up sympathy for Billy Russo / Jigsaw but c'mon ain't no way I'm falling for that.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  2. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
  3. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Yeah, I miss Darcy. A bit like Luis before we got Luis. Wish they would bring her back, although her character was kinda designed to fit with the supporting cast of those first couple movies. Maybe she and Selvig could come back doing some science-ey stuff?

My understanding was that that was Chris Hemsworth's wife.

We do see it morph from liquid to solid in Thor's vision in Age of Ultron, for what it's worth.

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I think it's great that Disney is allowing Marvel to create adult oriented content for it's characters. It certainly gives hope for Deadpool to continue with it's R-Rated material and perhaps retry making an adult oriented animated series as well, as the previous project with Donald Glover was cancelled by Fox.

As far as the animated shows slated for Hulu, all of them have me interested and will cause me to subscribe to Hulu because of the creative teams behind each project.

First of all, Howard the Duck is being produced by Kevin Smith and Dave Willis who understand the fan base. So, I expect Howard the Duck to be very dialogue driven and be very self aware, like a Deadpool film. And with Smith producing I wonder if he'll include references to the live action Howard the Duck film (which I liked after getting over the George Lucas hype associated with the film). There was certainly a good amount of adult oriented material in that film...

[​IMG]

M.O.D.O.K. being written and produced by Jordan Blum (of "Community") and Patton Oswalt is inspiring. And I like the synopsis of "centers around an egomaniacal supervillain with a really big head and a really little body, who struggles to maintain control of his evil organization and his demanding family," which sounds like Marvel's take on Despicable Me.

[​IMG]

And the synopsis for "Hit-Monkey" has thoughts of an animated Kill Bill running through my head as it "tells the tale of a wronged Japanese snow monkey, mentored by the ghost of an American assassin, as he cuts a wide swath through the Tokyo underworld."

[​IMG]

I'm disappointed there wasn't a synopsis for "Tigra & Dazzler" so I don't know what to expect even though the executive producers of Erica Rivioja and Chelsea Handler's works are pretty well known. Perhaps this show will be something like a Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy type of deal. It's really hard to tell since I don't ever recall these two teaming up. Dazzler looks more like Emma Frost and Tigra Cheetah. Whatever. I watch once I subscribe to Hulu before the year's out.

And I'll be looking forward when they all team up for "The Offenders."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Master_Lok likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I will maintain my MCU streak if these are in MCU continuity but I kinda doubt these will be MCU continuity. Interesting lineup of creators and characters, though! From what it looks like how it's shaping up with MCU streaming networks, Kevin Fegie's Marvel Studios (movie branch) will be the ones making the Disney+ content and Jeph Loeb's Marvel TV division will be on Hulu.

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I think it's safe to assume these aren't part of the MCU continuity for the reasons you pointed out which it's Hulu Marvel TV and Jeph Loeb.

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well Marvel TV has more in-MCU-continuity productions than not, hell I was watching Runaways which is on Hulu and they straight up had the Runaways looking at a building that had a giant ad for Roxxon oil! Truly Roxxon is the glue (or, erm, oil) that holds the whole MCU together!

but I think they're trying to do their own animated thing and not have to specifically tie it into the MCU because I'd wager Moodok and Howard the Duck have more potential to be elements in movies in the MCU without the animated versions having to weave in the MCU Marvel Studios continuity.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I hope that they will keep the idea from the Domino comic that Dazzler is kind of Marvel's David Bowie

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Marvel TV/film division doesn't really matter as far as MCU continuity goes. It's more a question of if they'll expand the MCU to include animated fare, which they probably won't.

10. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_laugh]
    I hate that this makes me laugh. That comic made me cry so hard.[face_phbbbbt]

11. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I want the Murdo M.O.D.O.K. from Soldier Supreme to get on that show.

Hit Monkey sounds like fun too, providing he fights against the Red Ghost and his “death to amerika!” screaming, Machine gun toting Soviet apes (they were so perfectly stupid in Brubaker’s Winter Soldier series).

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That synopsis is interesting- that would indicate that it's a prequel set a few years before IM2.

EDIT- Hulu open to Defenders shows.

“Marvel has a ton of titles we’d be interested in. It kind of just depends on when they’re ready, [and] who, most importantly, is going to be behind these things… We’ve had a relationship with Marvel since Runaways, we’re getting into business on these animated shows. I’m sure it will lead to – you know, business gets you business – we have a good creative relationship with them. That’s where opportunities tend to arise.”
    That's a little more generic than when the Disney+ Chairman expressed interest in the shows, but given that Hulu was almost certainly the only streaming platform Disney could move the shows to due to their content/rating, this at least indicates that all the cogs are in place to make it happen should they pull the trigger.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Oh man, that would be so awesome! Now, if that doesn't happen I'm going to be disappointed. Thanks @Master_Lok :p

I'm surprised that this didn't register as something of significance with me yesterday, but it does today, which is the fact Dazzler is a mutant. I'm not sure if Dazzler falls under the same loop hole as Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, but she's definitely a mutant and her first appearance was in Uncanny X-Men #130, which would make me believe she's a Fox property, as oppose to a Marvel one.

So, three thoughts come to my head, (1) is Marvel jumping the gun with this announcement and production as the Fox/Disney deal is not finalized and (2) if Marvel has jumped the gun here, what else is in the works/production that involve Fox licensed properties, and (3) there was a secret agreement for just Dazzler like the trade for Ego and Negasonic Teenage Warhead that would justify Dazzler in Marvel hands.

The article linked above says, "This would put the film in 2005 or 2006, between the events of Captain Marvel and Iron Man." So, that also opens the door for Hawkeye to appear in the Black Widow film, as there was major references to the two of them working together in The Avengers. There could also be a run in with the Winter Soldier as Natasha had crossed paths with him too. It's been more of a common practice in Phase III of the MCU to include a fellow Marvel character in the characters' "solo" films.

I think Hulu will definitely revive Daredevil at some point. I'm doubting they'll revive the Netflix version of The Defenders as it really wasn't a great mixture or variety of power sets and skills. I mean, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are both strong therefore can punch things really hard. And Iron Fist came off as a really poor version of a Martial Arts character in comparison to Daredevil. I really see something like the Thunderbolts (Marvel's Suicide Squad) or Midnight Sons so they could do more supernatural and horrific materials.

Master_Lok likes this.
  15. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    @Sith_Sensei__Prime I aim to please, or is that tease? :p

Still, I’d subscribe in a hot minute if either of those scenarios actually wound up being used, Mordo M.O.D.O.K. was both hilarious and fun.

Nice that Black Widow is gearing up for a June start date. Of course, I want Hawkeye and Winter Soldier in it. :D

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I can’t quite recall from WS, but did she say she knew the WS, or just heard rumours?

Not that either precludes his inclusion.

17. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    She had an encounter with him. He shot her through her stomach to get to his target. She said, "Bye bye, bikinis."

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Diggy like this.
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yup.

And I found the clip and around the 42 seconds mark of the video, she talks about her encounter with the Winter Soldier. Natasha says she had the encounter was five years ago, so that would place it around 2009, which is after Iron Man and wouldn't fit in the timeline of the synopsis of the Black Widow film. So, now it's very unlikely that Bucky would appear but there's still a good amount of hope for Clint.

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I don't like the idea of a BW set before, I want it to come after as if in order. Whatev, I'll go see it.

20. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    We may find out why they remember Budapest very differently

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think, given Marvel TV's reputation fr being budget-conscious, that you won't see a lot of supernatural content, since that was supposedly a hindrance to Ghost Rider in terms of cost. Though I suppose Moon Knight could fit the bill.

When you look at the Defenders, they went with a combination of power sets that were very grounded and not FX-heavy. Only IF needed any real special effects on a regular basis. They distinguished them through their settings and personalities. JJ & LC may have some overlap but JJ's private eye world is very different from LC's crime lord Harlem.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get all the Defenders back. But I still think either new combo shows (Heroes For Hire/Daughters of the Dragon) are possible. Given the amount of development already invested in them, though, DD & LC seem most likely to return since they'd have the least amount of preproduction necessary to get back up and running.

That said, JJ has been pretty well received too, but may simply be a matter of finding a proper shworunner to pick it up since the original showrunner was set to leave after season 3 anyways. And everyone wants more Punisher, but that could be a different story with the contract there.

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Why would DD and LC need the least amount of pre production?

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    LC already had scripts for S3 written (then Netflix rejected them, asking that the season be rewritten as 3 fewer episodes; Marvel refused and NF used it as a pretense for cancellation) and DD S4 was already being storyboarded (so they had at least outlines of the stories) when they were cancelled.

JJ & PUN, being the most recently filmed, would have had the least work on future seasons (especially due to JJ's impending showrunner change in her case). And one assumes that they weren't as gung-ho on IFS3 as they were on DD & LC, even if they may have some ideas for where it would go.

24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    WS at Odessa: Probably 2008 not 2009 (WS was set in 2013 as Steve says to Natasha, he’s 95. MCU Steve was born in 1918).*

Bucky could appear but she may not have any idea who he is. And yet, I would agree: there is a much better chance for Clint. I will still pine for them both (and wouldn’t say no to Chris Pine in the MCU, but tangent).:D

*This is what happens when I’ve seen a movie I love over 50 times.[face_batting]

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    WS was set in 2014 (there's a reference about it being 2 years after NY, IIRC, and AOS supports that timeframe as well), so Steve was probably either rounding or lied on his army application ;). There's always going to be some references that will be off like that- for instance, Bucky's birthyear is listed as both 1916 & 1917 in the same scene in WS.