main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. ThisIsTheWay

ThisIsTheWay Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2019
    I think it’s less “see the confusion of X in next month’s Y” and more “if you want to learn more, watch story Z on D+ now!”.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Was this posted last month? If so...[face_blush]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Of those I automaticly only know Shang-Chi and Razor Fist.

soitscometothis likes this.
  4. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I heard that...

Wenwu is supposed to be the Mandarian...the real Mandarin.

5. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I’ve heard the same.

@Gamiel same here, I smiled at Michelle Yeoh’s character name (Jiang Nan) as it reminds of a favorite David Chiang character (the assassin Jian Nan from 1971’s The Duel).

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Did... did we know Michelle Yeoh was in Shang-Chi?!?

Yodaminch likes this.
  7. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Yes, and Michelle let it slip last August as she was preparing to go on set.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Possible, I've blocked out so much of the last year or two this makes sense... I love both of them. I'm just sad there's no Donnie Yen too...

9. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Block out, I hear that. [:D] Updated my post with Asian film links.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Rumor has it that Marvel/Disney may delay Black Widow yet again.

11. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    They should just put it on Disney+ I would pay $ on top of the subscription... maybe not $$$$ but $$.

Master_Lok likes this.
  12. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Makes sense. The earliest the US can have regular movie going sounds like September and that’s if everything goes right.

Master_Lok and Juliet316 like this.
  13. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I think Disney doesn't want to go to that well too many times. They don't want Disney+ to become known as the streaming service you pay a monthly fee for then have to plop down even more money for the really choice things the service has to offer.

Rew, Darth McClain, Sarge and 5 others like this.
  14. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    Yeah, I'm not for that either, but given the times, I'm good with 2020/2021 being slightly different from the rest in terms of how we consume media.

Master_Lok likes this.
  15. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Was it announced Disney+ did not plan to release any further movies with an additional early access charge like Mulan? That can change, but I thought the plan for future theatrical releases switching to Disney+ would be released like Soul.

Master_Lok likes this.
  16. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I don't know if they've announced any sort of future intentions for features originally intended for theatrical release. It seems like they're playing it by ear rather than going all in like WB is.

17. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Yes. That sounds right.

Maybe I’m not remembering right, and I didn’t look this up to double check. But I thought basically Disney said they were not planning to charge again for exclusive content. It worked well for Mulan, but they didn’t want that to become a regular part of the Disney+ business model. At the same time Disney didn’t announce a year’s worth of theatrical release for Disney+ the way HBO and Warner Bros did. Disney said they’d have a wait and see approach.

Sarge and Master_Lok like this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Disney has moved a few 2021 theatrical releases to DisneyPlus, although they don't seem too enthused to do the Mulan Premiere Access play again. Soul was "free" with the service. And they're raising their price for D+ across the board so trying to pull a Mulan for any other content may just cause more payment outrage.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They were supposedly happy with how Mulan did on D+. Pretty sure that they said at the investor's day event that some titles would come to D+ the Mulan way and specified which ones.

There definitely seems to be a budget threshold for what titles would go that route, though. Animated features or feature films with potentially (relatively) limited box office potential can still make a buck off of D+ (or D+ can make a buck off of them, ala the Soul release method), whereas there is no incentive to release something like Black Widow on it since a theatrical run (whether sticking to May with limited theaters or delaying a few months until things open up more) would still get them more money and service the marketing of the MCU franchise better (especially since they have Falcon/Winter & Loki to use as new D+ MCU content in the interim for either scenario).

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Bond and Sony’s slate have been delayed again. I do wonder though how long Disney will sit on Black Widow when they have other films that need to be released. On the other hand, this lets them build up content for the future so who knows.

WB is looking less foolish though with their HBO Max plan. If that works for them, I expect Disney to release Black Widow in some way this summer.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    One of the reasons WB released WW84 it was said that they felt that constantly delaying the release date makes the movie feel "stale" which could be a concern with yet another release date push. However, I think Disney wants to hold onto BW for theatrical because, dear God, those movies make a billion dollars. Disney needs a billion dollars and if they have to push the release date 2 years then by God they're going to try for it.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I’m okay with waiting. We have the Disney+ shows in the meantime. Black Widow will be great to return to the theaters for once it’s safe to do so. I’ll probably see it in the IMAX.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  23. ThisIsTheWay

ThisIsTheWay Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2019
    The problem with that is they can only hold on to it for so long before they end up with a backlog of movies waiting for release. It hasn’t been an issue yet but the completion of other projects (Eternals, Shang Chi, etc) might force their hand.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    For WB there's less of a backlog concern because their projects aren't as linked as the MCU. If WW84 came out after The Batman or Suicide Squad, it wouldn't have mattered any, for instance. So in that situation it was just all corporate pressure (and was likely just the first step of them simultaneously implementing the whole HBO Max debacle that'll end up costing them dearly).

For the MCU, it becomes a concern after a certain timeframe. But that asks the question of if we would reasonably hit that threshold before theaters could re-open widely. And that doesn't seem likely. I think most would agree that we'll probably see things in a reasonable (even if not 100%) operational status by the end of this year, early next year in a worst case scenario (within the context of theaters being open in NYC/LA/CHI/etc and a stable-but-much-less-than-before box office, wide enough vaccination, etc).

So, taking that worst case scenario of Feb (even if Nov is a more-likely-bad-case-scenario) for BW, how would that affect the MCU lineup? Assuming they decide to max out at 5 slots (which is effectively what 2021 is currently set to, if you count the no-longer-scheduled Feb/Mar release slot that was vacated- as well as include sony's Spider-Man 3 which I think you have to), then they can fit all of the 2021 films plus Doctor Strange into 2022. Thor would have to get bumped back to 2023- and that's the only one about to start filming. BP2 and CM2 could then be given more development time to fill out the rest of that year (and/or alongside Guardians) and by then the schedule is basically back to normal as far as the films go.

Then there's the TV shows. FATWS, Loki , Ms Marvel & Hawkeye still fill out 2021's MCU quotient even if the movies vacate to 2022. Doctor Strange is 2022 present day already, so none of those are affected by it being delayed later into 2022 in the worst-case scenario. Any connections to Wanda or Loki that film may have are unaffected by that order.

Meanwhile BW could theoretically connect to FATWS and maybe Hawkeye. we know FATWS connections don't matter since it comes out before the current BW release date in May. Assuming any high-spoiler connections (in other words, someting that couldn't be seen out of order- keeping in mind many MCU teases and connections were originally released out of order even if you don't realize it when you watch them in their proper chronological order today) couldn't be cut or reshot out of either BW or Hawkeye, delaying Hawkeye to a Feb release in 2022 wouldn't greatly affect much of anything for 2021.

And Moon Knight and She-Hulk can remain comfortably in 2022 as-is since they probably don't connect to any of the films being released/delayed- and, even if so, arranging them to near-simultaneous-or-consecutive releases with those films delayed into 2022 shouldn't be an issue.

So, unless the first half of 2022 ends up looking like 2021 is today in regards to the pandemic, I don't see any foreseeable connected-content backlog that would force their hand.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005