main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    About the importance of What If?

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    The Blade movie finds its director!

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Unless they have more planned for the character, like with The Winter Soldier. We'll see.

4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Well there’s going to be a second Mandarin.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i don't know if the first one really counts

6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    There wasn't a first one. :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    You’re right, but I remember after the film was released Marvel really pushed hard on Killian being the real Mandarin (ugh).

Pro Scoundrel and heels1785 like this.
  8. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    such a different character in the comics i don't know why they didn't just change the name.

about to go post that somewhere else for the new "Snake Eyes" movie :rolleyes:

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Becouse they kept the look and the powers.

I'm actually surprised about how many that seems surprised that they only focused on Taskmaster's combat ability. It’s not like they have completely recreated the secret identity, backstory and/or motivation for most villain before. And the comics do seems to mostly use him as a physical threat now a-days also.

nilzo antonio likes this.
  10. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015

One thing i fear with this multiverse stuff is that Marvel starting "fixing" things like this with "variants" from other timeline/dimension/alternate reality [face_sick]

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd be totally okay if they somehow stated that Ed Norton's Bruce Banner was a variant. The events of Incredible Hulk still can happen exactly in the MCU (Which they did, "I kind of ... broke Harlem" and Thunderbolt Ross) but the TIH movie just happened to be an alt reality with Ed Norton-looking variant.

12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Meanwhile Loki's finale audience is a best yet for a MCU TV show:

13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It doesn’t.

14. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    i want to come up with a crack about i hope there's a scene of the actual Mandarin torturing the fake, but ...ugh nothing will fix that. That movie would have been so much better without swerving the fans.

Darkslayer likes this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    actually if Trevor doesn't show up in Shang-Chi I'll be kinda ticked. I get a kick outta him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  16. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The problem was that Slattery was *both* a more intimidating villain in his charade *and* a more entertaining character overall than Killian after the reveal anyways. Slattery at least had a personality and fully realized gravitas or charisma in both personas.

Killian’s big weakness as “The Mandarin” was that he was just another MCU Stane or MCU Hammer. Guy Pearce can ooze charisma as well, but the role was so rote and cookie-cutter that it didn’t seem worth the reveal. He’s a huge sufferer of the “Phase One Villain Problem.”

When Batman Begins pulled the decoy trick with Watanabe and Neeson as Ra’s Al Ghul, they were exchanging an intentionally more obfuscated and underwhelming version of Ra’s’s more bland characteristics for a more fully realized and developed version of his pseudo-paternal relationship with Bruce. When IM3 pulled the decoy trick, it was a more interesting decoy than the actual villain we got, and the villain was still rather bland and one-note.

17. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    That exactly. Because they wanted to conceal the whole twist, Killian takes a backseat in characterization and comes off as a poor man's Obidiah Stane. And Stane only worked because he was played by Jeff freaking Bridges. The character himself was pretty terrible. Justin Hammer at least was never killed and what he lacked in brains, he made up for in his stupidity and ego. By being duped into handing his systems over to Vanko, he unwittingly gets pulled into this life or death situation. And he survives to tell the tale and perhaps one day escape and make more problems for someone else (Armor Wars! Armor Wars!) Killian though had even less appeal than Stane and less charisma than Hammer and his fight at the end with Tony was mostly boring because we'd already seen it with his lackeys and Tony for the first hour and a half. So the idea that this idiot was going to beat Tony was never believable and that's why he never posed any valid threat. Not only that, but he didn't even feel like a threat to Rhodes, Pepper or the President.

I remember when I first watched Begins and was super bummed that they had killed Ra's in the first fifteen minutes. Then of course, they give us the brilliant reveal of Ducard and it all works better. Even though Ducard doesn't survive, the fact that he still haunts bruce decades later really sells the impact he had.

Trevor made no lasting impact. And Killian even less so. He was basically mopped up by Tony's squad so quick that he blew the suits a few minutes later. He was never a true threat to Tony. Tony's PTSD was the only real threat.

18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Originally Maya Hanson - not Killian - would have been the big bad in Iron Man 3.

That would create a double fake out. Not only is the Mandarin a total fraud, Killian would be revealed as a henchmen deferring to Maya’s master mind.

Beyond the not great ‘twist’ of a woman villain - Maya would have provided an interesting villain who is part Tony Stark and part Pepper Potts. I think that would have worked better. It would also makes Killian’s bland villain work better as a fake out.

It also holds with the villains in the stand alone Iron Man films personally challenging Tony Stark. Staine is Tony fighting a father figure. Iron Man 2 has Justin Hammer and Whiplash who act like the two sides of Tony - his ego and showmanship & his technical brilliance.

A villainous Pepper Potts who aspires to be Tony Stark has more depth than Killian.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  19. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    With a double fake-out, I think that would almost necessitate having Hanson survive to become a recurring villain.

The problem with shell-gaming your main villain is that if you don’t spend time secretly developing the real deal at the same time, your main villain won’t really be worth it.

It’s why The Dark Knight Rises arguably benefits from the ambiguity of Bane and Talia’s relationship; she’d not nearly impressive enough to be the main Big Bad herself, so it helps that Bane is ambiguously her co-Big Bad. Electra in The World Is Not Enough is a better realization of the idea, but unlike both Hanson and Talia, she was unambiguously the main love interest for most of the film and could get developed more than either Talia in the Shadow of Selina or Hanson in the shadow of Pepper.

20. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Kingsley was hilarious as Trevor, but I agree that the Mandarin -and especially Killian- were botched pretty badly. It will be interesting to see -if and how- these fake Mandarins are addressed by Wenwu and/or in some manner in Shang-Chi.

21. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    don't get me started on IRON MAN 3 now

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Master_Lok and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    oh she had like a line or two in Last Jedi. The "They've found us!" officer, I think.

24. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Really hoping for something great here. Blade and Blade 2 are among the best comic book movies ever made, in my opinion (Blade: Trinity, however, is... not [face_laugh] ).

Part of me really wishes that we could just get an "Old Man" Blade movie with Wesley Snipes, divorced of the MCU, but Mahershala Ali is a wonderful actor and its cool that he brought the project to Marvel, rather than the other way around. Hoping for the best with this one!

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Snipes as Whistler or they're just mutha%$%@as trying to ice stake uphill.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021