main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    huh okay if they're saving StrechyPowers for Reed I'll give it a pass. (I fully expect Ms Marvel in the comics to lose her strechy powers and go with whatever MCU Ms Marvel is doing soon ala that time Peter Parker had organic webshooters when the Raimi movies were out)

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'm thinking her artifact is the pair of red sneakers. Remember, you heard it here first.

3. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Looks good. I’m not very familiar with Kamala Kahn as Ms. Marvel. The real world costume has an Asian influence that reads much more clearly than the illustrated character. I like it.

Wasn’t aware her power in comics is similar to Reed Richards. I could see the MCU wanting to hold off on that until FF so it’s more of a show stopper.

The stretchy powers I’ve seen depicted in live action so far have all been somewhere between laughable gag to kind of gross. Stretch powers worked like dynamite in The Incredibles. Seems time consuming and expensive getting them right in live action. Might be another reason to hold off for a feature film.

Master_Lok and Juliet316 like this.
  4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I’m not familiar with Kamala either, but will watch Ms. Marvel, stretchy powers or not. That’s a very nice Power stone looking gauntlet she’s wearing. The purple makes me think the Power stone, though I doubt it’s that.

I like how they gently considered Muslim culture in the live action costume too + teenager. The leggings and sneakers are smart and practical: if I was a teenager superhero I would not be fiddling with tights or boots.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Besides the saving-it-for-Mr-Fantastic angle, I'd suspect the energy powers are also to bring her abilities more in line with Monica and Carol's for The Marvels.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  6. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    They may also have the energy stretch. It does make her look a bit like a Green Lantern knock off though- but it would achieve the 'stretchiness' without looking like Reed.

7. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Um...did Marvel Studios just start a production company for I would love either one, but
    Midnight Sons is one of only two teams I lost my collective fan woman marbles for...so I hope Ghost Rider is another step toward that.

That’s a great catch.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    Juliet316 and The2ndQuest like this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Forget that-
    If Grass-Fed Productions is a joke hinting at the Skrull cows, then the Skrull Kill Krew is on the table! :cool::D

9. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_laugh]

Naah, I won’t forget :* but if we’re talking Kill Krews, please, pretty please give me the Punisher Kill Krew too. [face_skull]

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean, we'll have gotten five shows this year and four movies, not the worst if one's pushed into next year (where we'll probably have even more shows lol).

12. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Just rewatched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

The weirdest, most earnest, least embarrassed to be based on a comic book movie to come out of Marvel Studios, and if you ask me, this is still the very best installment in the MCU to date. James Gunn has been one of a handful of filmmakers working on this sort of mega-budget, IP-driven, shared universe blockbuster in the last ten years or so to really break beyond the studio-mandated structure and retain his own cinematic identity and sensibilities in a film that functions beginning to end on its own two feet, and his love for these characters – right down to friggin' Taserface! – and this world shines through in every cosmic splash panel of a frame.

Each time I watch this one a different core relationship in the film tends to get me a bit choked up; on today's viewing, that happened to be Gamora and Nebula's.

I really cannot wait to see what Gunn has done over on the other side at DC with The Suicide Squad.

13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Exactly.

Thor 4 spoilers, Mr. Bale looking mighty creepy

14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Oh see I think it’s quite a bit worse than the first one.

darthcaedus1138 and Sarge like this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I like them both.

Darkslayer and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  16. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    The first one is great, but I feel that Vol. 2 just pushes everything so much further. The visuals are more interesting, the character arcs and relationships are more personal and complex, the "Awesome Mix" better integrated on both a narrative and thematic level (though the first one does have Bowie...). Yondu's death is the most tragic and heartfelt in the MCU (sorry, Tony) and the final "Father and Son" sequence never doesn't leave me choked up.

Also the movie has a Living Planet live and in the flesh which is kind of the best thing.

I don't like to compare them because they're literally my number one and number two Marvel Studios movies but, for me, Vol. 2 just edges out the also great first one as the very best at the top of my list.

17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I enjoyed the 2008 Star-Lord/GoTG series the first GoTG movie was very loosely based on, but I wound up not being fond of these characters or the films. It wasn’t that I was expecting that hilarious comics concept, I did not gel with the Guardians. So for me, GoTG vol. 2 worked due to Ego and Yondu. Not sure how they will top Kurt Russell in the GoTG baddies department, but he was terrific (as expected.)

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm four episodes into Marvel's Inhumans and OH GOD MAKE IT STOP SOMEBODY PLEASE MAKE IT STOP

BigAl6ft6 and The2ndQuest like this.
  19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    why would you do that to yourself iati

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    @I Are The Internets [:D] I share your pain, but really want Anson Mount in another role in the MCU.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Remember that MCU watch through I mentioned I was doing? Well, it's only 8 episodes.

But good god, I despise all the hero characters and am rooting for the villain. This might possibly be the worst show I've ever seen. Yes, worse than seasons 2 and 3 of Heroes.

22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Oh same! I just think that the first one is one of the MCU’s absolute best efforts. The second one is good but I have it mid-tier MCU. I felt the writing in the first one was much stronger.

Sarge likes this.
  23. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The last episode or two gets slightly better- but not by much. But you’re almost through the pain. Just try to enjoy Anson’s Blackbolt, Leung’s Karnak & Lockjaw in the meantime.

Master_Lok likes this.
  25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    You'll have to stop over into the Trekiverse for your fill of Anson Mount for awhile. ;)

Jedi Merkurian and Master_Lok like this.