main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. ThisIsTheWay

ThisIsTheWay Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2019
    Plus its important to consider the circumstances around both: Stark revealed himself as Iron Man shortly after establishing a positive public image while Peter's ID was revealed and immediately associated with murder. Peter's situation was just so much worse than Starks was and he had none of the resources needed to manage it.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    There are comparisons to make between NWH and OMD/BND.

But let's focus on the differences

*Comics: unpopular because Peter makes a deal with a literal Devil, that erases his marriage, and saves Aunt May's life, in order to escape consequences of his actions

*NWH: Peter, after running from consequences, decides to accept the consequences, accepts that Aunt May dies, accepts the total memory wipe to fix everything (conducted by Dr. Strange, not the devil), and out of his own choice decides not to tell MJ or Ned about the past even though he could have

*Comics: Peter loses maturity, escapes consequences, very literally agrees to Evil with a capital E, is very selfish, loses decades, and gets a "reset"

*NWH: Peter grows and matures, embraces the responsibility that comes with both his powers and his choices, and recovers from selfishness and becomes more selfless and heroic making one of the biggest sacrifices short of death he could have made (and some might say it's even worse than death in some aspects), and gets a "reset" for more traditional Spidey storytelling potential

If you're going to have a reset, NWH did it masterfully, and infinitely better than the mainstream comics.

ThisIsTheWay, Rew, Yodaminch and 6 others like this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah the end result of both is a reset of Spider-Man, back to basics, although One New Day was hammered into that while No Way Home it led rather logically from the progression of the plot. Also ditching the "Iron Man Jr." aspect of MCU Peter, which was kind of a fun way to introduce him to the MCU (although a bit like "look at our most popular MCU character with Spider-Man, you love it!"). The Honest Trailer calling Far From Home "The Boy Who Knew Iron Man" was pretty bang on. Now he's just a young adult on his own with his webs and his wits. Although he can still run in and out of the Avengers but more of a guest member who comes in for big deals instead of being on the daily roster. And it could lead to fun situations where Peter insists upon keeping his mask on, or how Peter will try to do a much, much better job of maintaining anonymity than he did before cuz he certainly learned his lesson. Also they could write out Ned and MJ this way as the final bit of Peter's sacrifice (and then get a MCU Gwen).

There is definitely some logistical issues as to how the spell specifically works. the writers said they didn't want to get deep into details instead focusing on the emotional aspect of it but they did say "some level of magical erasure". JMS paraphrased Marvel editorial put it as "It's magic, don't think about it" (Something Joey Q denied). I think Toomes could be an interesting character to examine how the specifics of it worked cuz he definitely knew something. (Black Cat in the comics when something like that happened said she had a "black hole in her memory"). Or Venom, maybe that's an out because it's "hive knowledge across universes" and there is a symbiote left behind. Best way I can think of it is all evidence of Peter has been erased (the drivers license issue/ registration may be a pain but a good potential source of comedy), and the events still happened just nobody remembers anything about a Peter Parker doing... anything. I mean, it's not as if May's grave says "Aunt May", it says "May Parker".

Anyway, ID magic asides, not exactly encouraging news about Season 2 of M.O.D.O.K. or Hit-Monkey from Hulu (last remnants of the Jeph Loeb helmed Marvel TV shows). Hit-Monkey hits Disney Plus in about a week so I'm at least getting on that and M.O.D.O.K. was freakin' great

But it seems it's up to Marvel / Feige on that one, if anything they seem super consumed with making MCU movies and D+ shows and may let these slide. (or just some excessive bitterness they had to inherit these projects). I need Mo M.O.D.O.K, danigt!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Page 666 of the thread calls for yet another new mix of Real Time Snappening, this time with more Yelena

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Ehhhh…We’ve seen MJ, we’ve seen Gwen, maybe it’s time for Felicia Hardy?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    or finally a return for Emily Chan?

7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
  8. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Talking about OMD/BND on page 666 i see…

Does anyone know where NWH is going to be streaming, if at all? No idea how the streaming rights fall for spiderman.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    First on Netflix for 18 months, then D+.

ZanderSolo and Princess_Tina like this.
  10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Yeah that's pretty cool but I still want to know what Captain Marvel, the Eternals and Shang-Chi were doing at the moment of the Infinity Snap.

Juliet316 and Emperor Ferus like this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Glowing, teaching/ranching/lording/parenting/acting/cooking and parking cars, respectively.

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  12. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I kinda wanna know if Shang-Chi was snapped/blipped or not.

Jedi Merkurian and PCCViking like this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If we factor in actor's ages, then if Shaun was snapped, then Katy was snapped, as they're presumably intended to be the same age from since they met (likewise if one wasn't snapped then the other wouldn't be, either). But then Xu is supposed to be younger yet is played by a actress older than Simu Liu, so him being snapped could explain that if we're going to take the notion that far.

That said, he and Katy seem pretty comfortable in their lives for people who just came back into existence 4-5 months earlier, so I would favor "no snap".

Rew, Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  14. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    I think Shang & Katy were both snapped, and Xu wasn’t snapped. That gives Xu more time to set up her fight club and good motivation for her other interests and also explains the age discrepancies. Also, Shang and Katy probably just got unsnapped and went and got their valet jobs together and are just taking it easy settling back into life after the snap.

15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    For a franchise revolving so much around snaps, it’s not very snappy.

16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    [​IMG]

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not their fault- DC took the Sharks and the Jets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    Supes V Zod on the DC side of things also has a climactic snap if Marvel isn’t quite your speed

19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Or, this one, for that matter...

20. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    So you took the high ground of not spamming the other thread, but now you’re spamming all the relevant threads to ‘show me’?

The ball’s in your court. If you want to reply, do it.

21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    "Show you", lol, I was derailing the thread almost as much as you. Sorry, no moral judgements here, other than "I post what I want" probably wasn't the best take - but you do you.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  22. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Yes, fantastic self awareness.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I'm just going to pop back into this for a second - and absolutely refused to be sucked into a pointless discussion again - that what we're talking about is only useful as a frame of reference. Someone talking about all the Marvel movies isn't the same as someone talking exclusively about the MCU movies. Those are clearly two different things. So it's important to at least be able to know what people are talking about. With Wocky's post, it really made no sense taken literally, because there are only 27 official MCU movies. So either he was completely exaggerating or was totally confusing Marvel movies in general with MCU movies specifically.
    That's it - I'm not going to go back into that discussion for any further clarification.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  24. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Presumes that ‘MCU’ is just a label for certain films and not a continuity, but whatever.

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm just sitting here wondering if Shang-Chi was snapped or not.

Master_Lok, Sarge and nilzo antonio like this.