main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    From what is implied in the movie, no he wasn't.
    He left "home" when he was 16 and kept growing old. If he was snapped ( like Peter Parker) he would still be a teen!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think he was 14- but you're right, that'd make him around 18-19 years old at the time of the snap, since he was born around 1999. So, that's actually a better indicator than even the actors' ages, or their family's behavior around them in proximity to what would have been their return, had they been blipped.

3. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015

This looks dark!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Dame Helen Mirren plays Golda Meir, sparks online & celebrity outrage because she's not Jewish

Oscar Isaac plays Moon Knight...

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, for one -- Golda Meir was a real person, so there's going to be more scrutiny.

But I generally agree with the premise Sarah Silverman was espousing, in that where a characters' normal Jewishness was a big part of the character whether fictional or not, it tends to go to non-Jews (i.e. Golda Meir, Joan Rivers, Mrs. Maisel, etc.) -- but it's a "zany Jewish caricature" then it goes to a Jewish person.

This also roughly applies to almost every Jewish superhero put on film, barring the Hebrew Hammer. Kitty Pryde, Ben Grimm, Kate Kane, and now Mark Spector (though in Mark's case my understanding is that the character wasn't always supposed to be Jewish).

6. Logray'sBirdHat

Logray'sBirdHat Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 12, 2022
    The Mirren thing is so, so silly.

Like when they went after Cranston for playing a paraplegic. Sure, there are probably paraplegic actors out there who could use the work - but it's acting at a certain point, the whole concept is stepping into shoes not your own.

Kingsley in Schindler's list, is what it is.

7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Moon Knight creator Doug Moench found out Marc Spector was a Jewish name at a later point (Marc was a comic shop employee who kept bugging Moench to name a character after him.)

So Marc’s Judaism wasn’t really a thing for most of the original run. I’ll do some digging as to when this emerged, but from recent rereads I think it was first mentioned at the tail end of the original run in Moon Knight issues 37 and 38 (Red Sins & Final Rest) - those were released in 1984, so if that is the first mention of his ethnicity / birth faith, then that’s almost a decade after Moon Knight was created in 1975.

Marc violently walked away from his Judaism at least 2x. I am not sure how many people know how prickly that might be for some folks. The majority of the comics gloss over it, but a few stories -and the current comic- address Marc’s Judaism head on. The current run is intensifying Marc’s regret from not becoming a rabbi like his father, but I do not know if they’ll address his Judaism in the show.

What a lot of people have missed is that there are Jewish members of Oscar’s family, from his father’s side (his middle name Isaac is Jewish too), however Oscar was not raised Jewish (Evangelical Christian from what I’ve read.) I know that isn’t the same as his being raised Jewish, but still.

If the series addresses it, Oscar will nail that requirement too. The more I watch the trailer the more I see just how clever and smart they are in taking this track (I freaked out a bit seeing fans objectify Moon Knight this week because he is the last character I’d ever consider sexy or thirst worthy , but it’s Oscar…and I am 1000% in his corner in his nailing every nuance of the characters).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  9. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_laugh]=D=[face_laugh] Darn I think you have to click through, it’s worth it though.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  10. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I mean, there's a reason why Bucky cut his hair after Endgame.

Master_Lok likes this.
  11. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Yes, to annoy fans. :p I kid.

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    He looked like a darned hippy. Harrumph.

Sinrebirth and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    Princess_Tina likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think Emilia Clarke is fantastic, and never understood that odd segment of GoT fandom that complained about her acting.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Mizarui on DeviantArt did some life action "What If?" manips including Chadwick as Star Lord.

[​IMG]

16. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    I’ve never seen GoT (yuck prestige TV [face_whistling]) but I think her performance in Solo is really fantastic.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I don't think anyone with what looks like a Sybok icon is allowed to comment on prestige TV... :p

18. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Prestige TV? LOL. My cable bill is $140.00/month (including internet) and HBO MAX is $7.00 so at this point watching the news live on ABC is more "prestige" than any HBO show.

IMO Emilia Clarke is a fine actress like ScarJo, but there are way better like Frances McDormand, Cate Blanchett, Alicia Vikander, or Emma Stone.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    who ya got? i have to change this week probably lol

20. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    I hope EC is playing Veradne in SI.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Out of all the upcoming Disney+ MCU content, I think Secret Invasion might be the most intriguing to me because (as of now/to my knowledge), there aren't any known super powered heroes in the cast; just Nick Fury. And since it's a Disney+ series, there may not be any super powered heroes. A "secret invasion" might be an Invasion of the Body Snatchers type of film where normal government officials are being replaced by "pod people" and Nick Fury is on a witch hunt.

22. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    yeah the question is , will there be characters we've seen for years that had been replaced. i suspect there will

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Power Broker Sharon Carter seems the most likely to be Skrull-ified. There may be a "big" reveal that could be a fake out.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I wouldn't think any of the Avengers were to be revealed as being replaced in Secret Invasion. I think that would create a type of "Clone Saga" and "One More Day" situation among fans in the MCU.

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Maybe Steve. As much as I like "Tony lives" fics, if they went with Tony being replaced by a Skrull before Endgame, that would cheapen his sacrifice in Endgame on screen IMO.

Ghost, Master_Lok, Rew and 2 others like this.