main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    A significant chunk of MCU movies should be up for Best Animated Feature, I do agree. Pretty funny zinger on Infinity War I once read was it's basically an animated film with human faces pasted ontop of them.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think we’re seeing Feige take the MCU in a non-compressed-comic-time direction and actually acknowledge the characters aging, moving on and retiring as new characters come forward.

Sure, some characters have ways of circumventing that, but there’s definitely an initial pattern of characters getting their 5-10 years of center stage status, shifting to mentor roles towards the end as new characters are introduced, then stepping aside as those new characters take center stage and the next generation of the mantles (in concept or in actual name) start to emerge.

Ultimately it’s smarter than recasting them as eternal characters ala Bond or some such, as it elevates the deeper or more recent bench of characters Marvel has and provides more variety; as well as avoiding things getting stale the way it would if it was just the same characters over and over again. With the added benefit of making the MCU generational.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  3. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    gaudians of the galaxy Christmas special was a lot of fun.

But not as much fun as Werewolf by Night.

I wish we actually knew less about it. I think the main plot - kidnapping Kevin Bacon - being revealed in the trailer robs the special of its best surprise.

I think had I not known that was coming the sheer surprise of it and would have helped elevate the middle of the special to a higher level of ridiculous comedy. Instead we got that hook in the trailer.

This made good use of the cast. It was fun to see the focus not on typical main characters. It’s also interesting to see the guardians new group dynamic without Gamora. I’m still not sure how that works yet in a bigger adventure.

But here it’s quite good as they live their lives.

Looks like this new groot is going to have a different appearance tha. The former adult groot. Also he still likes dancing.

Mantis and Drax get to shine in this.

Lastly. Seeing Nowhere again after the Eternals - I know much more about where giant space heads come from.

4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    GotG Holiday Special

"Wow. I guess all actors aren't pieces of @#$%"

Either Rocket having Bucky's arm is going to be a whole thing, or Bucky will still have the arm next time with no explanation. I'm ok either way

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The Guardians special is a lot of fun, it's a month too early, but a lot of fun.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The Guardians of the Galaxy
    Holiday Special

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So I've dutifully watched the Marvel Legends videos when they are released, I think they're really well done, and I saw a video Marvel ad posted for a Drax and Mantis Legends episodes, and was listed as New Episode this Week. I didn't watch them when they landed for once but intended to watch them before the GotG Holiday Special. But I scrolled and looked, they aren't there. Looking into it, they were actually taken down! They were there, I missed watching them when it landed and now gone. And the reason for their removal is GotG Holiday Special big spoiler

The2ndQuest likes this.
  8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Was it released the same date as the Star Wars Holiday Special?

That was Nov 17 1978

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    In the case of Thor, the next logical direction is...

[​IMG]

Gamiel and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  11. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  12. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Lost in the middle of many news today:

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  13. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I heard he's going to be cast as a young mob boss from New Jersey who is convinced by his girlfriend to see a psychiatrist.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    there's basically a few new lines in that trailer but the biggest one is at the end, and where I think the crux of the film is, when Kang says that he is out of Ant-Man's league. The power disparity between the two is what makes it dramatic. but, as seen in the What If episode, the Ant-Man / Yellowjacket suit could probably actually take out just about anyone if the moral safeguards are taken off.

15. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Hm, well, the only minus has been Eternals and even that had awesome things in it. But if they are going to do better then more power to them.

I do wonder if X-Men will take over as the primary in place of Avengers at some point, as far as what movies will be the lead draw.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I hope not. I find Avengers far more interesting than X-men.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    As much as I think the Disney+ format could and should be seen as a major advantage, I can easily see someone inside Marvel feeling like they wasted movie ideas on tv shows and tv show ideas on movies just from the sheer pressure to put out content in both mediums.

Like... maybe Eternals would have made more sense as a prestige TV show given its larger ensemble cast and integrating such a cosmic concept into an already fleshed out universe.

Or maybe they could have made Ms. Marvel or She-Hulk a movie and condensed their series' strengths into more dense but more filling movies.

Stuff like that.

19. ThisIsTheWay

ThisIsTheWay Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2019
    I wouldn’t be surprised if they looking at their upcoming projects (both announced and unannounced) and thinking “is this the best format for this project?” Its possible we’ll get more reports saying “X project is being repurposed into a movie/series/special presentation”

Kinda like what happened with Armor Wars.

Juliet316 and godisawesome like this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, there's no way She-Hulk would have worked better as a movie- it's probably the only live-action D+ MCU series that is actually custom fit for episodic content vs being a 6 hour film. Even WandaVision was more half-and-half when it came to that.

But, from what I've read, that general concept is what is going on- they're not cancelling projects but re-evaluating what format a story should be told in. Some, like Nova, are being turned into Special Presentations, others, like Armor Wars, are becoming films, and those whose story fits a series format will remain as such (Loki, Daredevil, presumably She-Hulk, etc).

They've also emphasized that they want to cut out the "Chapek cheapness" that hurt so many D+ MCU shows when it came to budget and FX (like Ms. Marvel), so honing the formats allow them to better tailor the budgets for these projects (which is probably what the "quality vs quantity" summation is referring to).

This might also explain the abrupt, seemingly early end to Phase 4- they've already decided to course correct and decided to end Phase 4 earlier instead of waiting for Thunderbolts to do it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  21. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    The Falcon and the Winter Soldier should have been condensed into a movie. That was a (very messy) two hours of story needlessly spread across six episodes. Same applies to Moon Knight, which really started wearing on my patience and ultimately became my last straw with Marvel TV for a while and is the reason I haven't yet fully bothered with the shows that came after it. I'll circle back around to the other shows, eventually, but I'm enjoying a nice break from them right now. There's too much to keep up with it all the way I was just a year or so ago (same is applying to Star Wars now too).

Hawkeye had the opposite problem the above two shows had; I think TV was a good format for it, but it needed to be a longer season or, at the very least, to not sit on its main villain until the finale and waste the character on a "remember him" reveal when they could have been using him as an actual... character. The Hawkeyes are characters very suited for episodic storytelling (I love love love Fraction/Aja's run) but the show needed to breathe and actually embrace that structure.

WandaVision started strong, when it was doing the sitcom stuff and playing up its mystery, but by the midpoint of the season when it played its whole hand it blew everything interesting it had going for it and just kind of devolved into a Marvel movie cut into a few chunks.

Loki is the only one of the shows (of the ones I've seen) that felt like it actually liked the structure of television and wanted to be.... a tv show. It's also the most stylish of the lot, the most exciting, and the one that left me genuinely excited to see what comes next - though that may wane a bit if season two just devolves into setup for the upcoming Avengers movies. I really hope its able to retain the identity that made the first season work so well for me.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    FALWIN gets a pass from me because I think they very specifically wanted it to be a 6 hour movie (it definitely had the most budget thrown at it as a debut "traditional" series) and that got severely affected by the covid reshoots. I suspect that the original version of the series would have avoided the muddiness in the middle that left the Flagsmasher motives too vague for the finale payoff to really hit as strong as it probably would have otherwise.

However, I think it still took advantage of that 6 episode format with things like the bloody shield cliffhanger and all the "home" and family moments for Sam (the bank loan, training sequence, boat remodeling and cook-out) that really enhanced it as a character building piece which probably would have been cut down or absent in a theatrical runtime. And I think the Bradley subplot in particular hit stronger because of the format.

It's really just the vaccine/virus/funeral stuff's absence that, while absolutely the correct choice in terms of release, ultimately left the show pulling its final punch.

I agree that Hawkeye can easily keep going and that WV was basically the sitcom format for a few episodes then the Marvel movie second half. The format was good for the initial WV Twilight Zone speculation, but ultimately dragged out the real world stuff.

Moon Knight could definitely have worked as a film. But, at the very least, either should have been a shorter series (4 or 5 episodes, not 6) or a longer one (to let them play with the 3rd personality more, more clearly establish his power set andopen up some breathing room for the psychological and adventure elements). As it is, it worked well, structurally, as a set of three 2-episode pairings, but was not served well by splitting those up into six weekly releases.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I’m kind of curious how enthusiastic or not Marvel is about “specials” like Werewolf By Night and the GOTG Holiday Special, and just how cost-effective they are versus how popular they are.

As much as WB/DC’s self-destruction of Batgirl is a giant red flag in and of itself, the idea of modestly budgeted “short motion pictures” has always appealed to me for superheroes. If the data says D+ benefits from them, than that might be a super-viable plan they can have for anything that they want out there but don’t feel they can get an entire super-budget film for or a multi-episode TV show.

Juliet316 and rocknroll41 like this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The two Special Presentations have been two of the best things Marvel has done during Phase 4, so hopefully they do more...

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, with the talk of previously in-development series (like Nova) being converted to Specials, that suggests they've found themt o be effective. Especially if a quantity output curtailing is a concern. Make the specials, well, special events once a month vs a weekly series for 1.5 months.