main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Indeed. I've read some real eye openers about comic artist pay. I'm not surprised so many of them still work traditionally (and/or create traditional pieces to supplement their work-for-hire.)

It's just a shame that the people responsible for giving these characters their "look", "powers" etc. are not compensated or treated better.

Work-for-hire rules should be changed; especially in light of the profits these movies, shows and merchandise bring in.

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Right, but there are unions that exist to prevent that kind of thing.

Rew, Master_Lok and Juliet316 like this.
  3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Depends what country they are in and whether their workplace is unionised.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/sep/09/visual-effects-artists-union-push-movies

TCF-1138 and Juliet316 like this.
  4. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    An update from Jeremy Renner:
    [face_love]=D=

So glad I haven’t read any clickbait and just wait for updates on his Twitter/IG accounts.

Rew, Ghost, Juliet316 and 4 others like this.
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Thank goodness, I was getting pretty fatigued by these "It's worse than anyone imagines" clickbait articles.

Rew, Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
    Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  8. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    I can’t explain why, but I’m starting to get the feeling that Quantumania is actually gonna be really good…

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  9. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    And Chris Evans response to Jeremy’s tweet.

=D=:)=D=

10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Someone should reply to Chris Evans' tweet with..."language."

:p

11. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    But then he’ll just turn into his Knives Out character and reply with “eat ****.”

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2023
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Master_Lok and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Sweet deal, it was pretty awesome. Still wish they brought back M.O.D.O.K. though. I am surprised at least one of them made it to a 2nd season

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I really hope Spider-Man Freshman Year is still in production (Yes, I want the animated Daredevil as designed by awesome former DD artist Paolo Rivera to be all over this!)

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    It is. marvel Studios is making it. The Hulu animated series were the last show made through a doe rate tv division of Marvel. That’s how made Agent’s if Shield, Defenders, etc.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Finishing off with The Gray Man?

Master_Lok likes this.
  17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    There were a lot of layoffs in the animation sector late last year, but it looks like folks were talking about layoffs of the SMFY crew for s2 of the Spider-Man animated show (which is called Sophomore Year).

So we at least have s1.

I know Marvel Television was its own thing for years until Marvel Studios took over.:)

18. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
  19. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
  20. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Here's a good video about how the MCU (and superhero stories in general) are essentially status quo warriors and how the movies, by constantly giving villains good points but writing them so they kill indiscriminately, means that people are essentially being told that wanting to change the status quo is dangerous and villainous.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    On the flipside, most of them tend to become who they are by breaking the status quo- but in a good way. That's why they contrast and come into conflict with villains who try to do so through evil means.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    The heroes are all conservative upholders of the status quo. Some of them might be off beat goofy, or alien, or from the past, have magic, quarky gimmicks, or have a substance abuse problem - but they are all basically cops (even the ones with criminal pasts)

It is interesting that Civil War has the Avengers loyalty split. It’s not about if they should be like a private military - police force who say they are the good guys.

The argument is how much oversight they are willing to submit to while being a private military / private police force. That they are this isn’t even up for debate.

I’ll say this for Star Wars - even under Disney. It’s about upsetting the balance of power. Asking why things are how they are and changing them. It might be simplistic themes in broad strokes but it is about tearing down the institutions that are failing.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The two times I recall that deal directly with this is the original Squadron Supreme 12 issue series, and Kingdom Come. The point seems to be to let humanity run as a democracy and transform very slowly. Too fast and you unsettle things. And how much can you trust those who claim to be benign? Make that 3 times, Watchmen did this too and Ozy succeeded. Though later we see the blowback but only after someone revealed how he went about it.

24. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I like it when hulk smash

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Right. Superheroes are essentially comparable to both nuclear weapons and dictators, if they force their views on the world. The thing is that if you take the mentality of the villains want to disrupt the system, you'll find that argument fails. Magneto is right to distrust non Mutants for their crimes, but his solutions are no better than Hitler's. Darkseid uses the Anti-Life Equation to strip free will from people. Thanos in the comics doesn't care about ensuring that the universe can survive overpopulation, he just wants to court Death. Lex Luthor just wants to be worshiped in the way Superman is.

The idea that the villains are fighting the system is flawed and very naive.

Sarge and VadersLaMent like this.