main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You'll believe a man can fly... Again. Superman Returns!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Tabula Rasa, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I agree that Routh certainly looks the part. It amazes me how well he captures the Geeky (But not too geeky) Clark side in all the stills we've seen. I haven't seen him act in anything, so I don't know what to expect there. Has anyone seen him in anything and have some thoughts on his acting?

I love the way Singer seems to be intent on making the film feel timeless and classic. The wardrobe is a big hint there. The characters all look as if they stepped out of the 1940's. I guess my only real concern so far is John Ottman's score. I'm not a big fan of his work, and I fear that he will want to put his own stamp on the film and that Williams' music, even the main title/march will, only make a cameo. Even if Ottman writes the best score of his life, how do you top perfection? It'd be like the Star Wars or Indiana Jones sequels without their signature themes and cues.

2. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    From what I have read, the opening title is sticking with the Main William's theme

3. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    But don't we see footage of him as a young Clark Kent in the barn finding the crystal that leads to the Fortress of Solitude and stuff? I thought I saw that in one of the previews anyway...how can it not be a remake, if that's the case?

4. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    They are flashbacks, and besides there is nothing sayong that a third entry to a series cannot revisit the past, look at the psycho movies, his origins were not revealed until the fourth movie......

5. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    I was looking forward to it but the trailer was horribly dissapointing. I don't know now.

-The Scummy-

6. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    *Sigh of relief*

After Batman Begins completely forgot to include any kind of theme tune whatsoever, I was worried Supes would also go down the same path. Shame Johnny isn't writing the score for this, but as long as they're using the main theme, I'm happy.

7. darth-ermac

darth-ermac Jedi Master star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    The film goes back to the stuff we didn't see in the first two films. Everything in the first two films happened, but in a vauge sorta way. To get around the issues of age, years, and other stuff. Specific references aren't made, but other elements are in it. Krypton exploded, Jonathan Kent died of a heart attack, Ben Hubbard is married to Martha or dating her at least. Superman put Lex Luthor into prison and fought three villians from Krypton. Lex was in the Fortress.

Stuff like that is there. But more detailed stuff isn't.

8. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I think Brandon will do just fine. He's an unknown. He has the look, if you pay attention. Goes from Dorky Clark Kent to Awesome Superman fine.

~PK~

9. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    Trailer looks cool can't wait to see the movie.

10. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    that is a GREAT point!

11. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I'm not excited about this movie but I'll still go see it. Maybe once we see a full trailer for it my opinion will change.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Read the whole sorrid affair of how this film came to be. This covers 1987 clear up to spring of 04, just prior to Singer being hired.

http://www.agonybooth.com/forum/topic2730.htm

13. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    is Luthor going to be the only real villain in this one? bc if this is the start of more superman movies i'd like to see some of the villains like Brainiac or Metallo in them

14. swguru2004

swguru2004 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/swguru2004/BTS_139.jpg]

Last year was the year of Star Wars...This is the Year of Superman

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    For this film, only Lex Luthor is the villian. There was early rumors of having General Zod come back, but they never went anywhere and appear to have been debunked. I had once pointed out on another board that all Terence Stamp had to do was dye his hair and beard and he could still pass for 1977-79.

16. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    He's too busy playing the voice of Jor-El on the TV show and working on the script for The Limey 2: Lime Harder. ;)

17. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    it'd be interesting to see what the story would've been like if they brought General Zod back. seeing as he was defeated in Superman II and while Superman Returns is a sequel to Superman II

18. EDKRIEG

EDKRIEG Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    Yay! A thread on the film.Teaser looks good!I've seen the serials with Kirk Allen, Superman and the Mole men and the tv show with George Reeves, the first 3 Superman films and Lois and Clark.Cannot wait!For your information the first season of Adventures of Superman with George is out now and the second is due next week-on DVD.Get them.Hey people:why doesn't any one start a George Reeves/Adventure of Superman seperate thread!

19. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    There are a few awesome new pics up at calendarlive.com - check them out.

http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/cl-et-superman15jan15-pg,0,248315.photogallery?index=1

[image=http://images.aintitcool.com/images2006/Supes1.jpg] [image=http://images.aintitcool.com/images2006/Supes2.jpg] [image=http://images.aintitcool.com/images2006/Supes3.jpg] [image=http://www.calendarlive.com/media/photo/2006-01/21387635.jpg]

20. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    This effect is achieved through the use of an extremely powerful glue.

21. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i know back in october or november last year there was a schedule released about the promotional schedule for Superman Returns but i cant find it. does anyone know when we can expect the next trailer?

22. Pumpkin_King

Pumpkin_King Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2003
    I hope they don't screw this up. [face_worried]

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It'll be good.

24. JEDI_MISFIT138

JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    ^^
    I agree. I'm really, really can't wait for this movie. I was a little skeptical at first, but the trailer and all the pics I've seen have completley won me over. I'm a huge Superman fan and it's been a long time coming for a new Superman film. I'll just be happy that finally he'll be able to fly and it'll look amzing. They'll finally be able to do justice to his abilties onscreen and I can't wait to see it. I love the first Superman film and I think it still holds up pretty good today, with the exception of the effects. They were great when I was a kid, but look really awful to me now. If they can capture the heart and spirit of that movie with awesome effects to go with it, there's no doubt it could be not only the best Superman film ever, but the best comic book based film as well.

25. dashleebo

dashleebo Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 18, 2003
    My dad is an extra in this film. I've never been much of a superman fan growing up. I do really like Smallville though. I'll probably go see the movie anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.