main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

You'll believe a man can fly... Again. Superman Returns!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Tabula Rasa, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    that is cool that your dad is an extra in the movie. do u know what part in the movie it is?

2. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Future Films/NSF star 7 Staff Member Manager

Aug 12, 2000
    OMG! I chat with you everyday. Are you going to start charging us for inviting you to chats?

:p

~PK~

3. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    in case anyone is interested [link=http://www.bluetights.net/]BlueTights.net[/link] has all the current video journals bryan singer has done. some interesting and humorous stuff in it. i'd say check them out

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    some new updates on Superman Returns

http://www.superherohype.com/news/supermannews.php?id=3876

5. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Nice. Very cool pics.

[image=http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/jackensack/GQMATTHEWFOX3.JPG] [image=http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/jackensack/GQMATTHEWFOX5.JPG]

6. Walken

Walken Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2004
    I thought the same at first, but that film didn't need a theme, even though the opening and end of the movie music is the theme.

As for Supes, I'd rather they re start like Batman. Creating a sequel to a film series that didn't explore much in the Superman universe originally is kind of bland to me, especially since they are using Luthor as the main villian. I don't have anything against it, but I'd love to see other enemies (Brainiac, Metallo, Bizarro, take your pick). The trailer didn't do anything for me, nor does anything else I've seen so far. It's hard to accept something as a sequel when completely new people are being used (given the time span from the last film and everything else, but still you know what I mean) and when it seems like the same old boring thing is being rehashed (Luthor Luthor Luthor, blah blah blah), I want another angle for once. Hopefully I'm wrong and this film delivers. Even if there's nothing really new and the acting is great, the effects are well done and the script is written well, this film will still be a failure in my eyes. That's my rant.

7. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Wow, completely disagree. I get a bit choked up everytime I see the trailer.

I think as time goes on you may see some of the other comic villains hitting the screen but you've got to start with Luthor, it would be like making a Batman movie without Joker, no he doesn't need to be in every one but he's going to be there once.

Its more of an unofficial sequel so the cast change doesn't bother me. This is the restart. It makes sense to me. Even with Batman and Spider-man I've thought they could cut out the origin story but that's even easier with Superman. It makes more sense to use what worked that came before then to go through everything laid out in Superman all over again.

8. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i agree. the teaser trailer would have to be the best that i've ever seen next to the teaser for ROTS. the music track The Planet Krypton that plays along in it and Marlon Brando's voiceover of Jor-El from the first superman movie is what moves me. i love the final shot of the teaser trailer of Superman floating above the earth and just speeding towards it.

as for the villains Luthor has to be in for the 1st of whats to be many more superman movies. it'd be right to start off w/ him and then move on from there. i do hope we get into more of the superman villains such as Brainiac, Metallo, and Bizarro as Walken said

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Ilya Salkind wanted Brainiac and Myxzptlk for the third film, but he was outvoted on the matter. Lex Luthor is a regular staple in the Superman series, especially since 1986. If Singer and his writing team come back, we'll probably begin to see other villians. He's using the first two films because there's no need to rehash the origin again. It was fine the first time.

10. weezer

May 16, 2001
    And Peters wanted a giant spider. Which is why you don't let the EP have a say in these things :p

11. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    we should be seeing another trailer for it fairly soon i would think. also i wonder if they're going to do something like last year with smallville during the season finale where at the end they show like 8 minutes of footage like they did with Batman Begins last year

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Except that Brainiac would've been the super computer and Mxy would've been responsible for the Evil Superman vs Clark Kent fight. Ilya was the one who came up with that story. If I had to choose between Ilya and Peters, I'd pick Ilya. He went on to do Superboy which was quiet successful and had Reeve convinced to do Superman V, which would've had Brainiac and Kandor, but WB stepped in to take the rights from him. Thus bringing about Lois & Clark and cancelling Superboy and Superman V. Which then lead to Peters.

13. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I'll leave it to the writers.

14. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005

I remember hearing something about the WB planning to do something like that for SR a few months ago. [face_dancing]

15. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003

Not to mention no flying and no suit

16. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Well that goes without saying.

17. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I have a collection of Superman Returns poster which you can see at: [link=http://www.angelfire.com/hero/agent_007/RK_Multiplex.html]RK's Multiplex[/link]

There's also some Indiana Jones posters there as well. Here's my latest Superman Returns poster which I hadn't added to my website yet.

[image=http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/3268/oceanflight7mm.jpg]

18. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    those are some great posters Gobi-1. that one here would be cool if you got Metropolis in the background

19. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I`m looking forward to it but I`m afraid Singer may have overadvertised it with his web journals. They hurt King Kong IMO

20. weezer

May 16, 2001
    How so?

I think its the future. I imagine you'll be seeing more and more of it with big films until it becomes standard. I wouldn't really call it "advertising" as you have to search it out instead of just seeing it around. Its just giving fans a glimpse into the process with out really "spoiling" anything.

It never really shows much. Remember the PSA days? How much did you really get out of a web doc (don't remember what they were called). At the same time though I think that it opens up the process enough that you can control what gets out without losing control though unsanctioned set reports.

21. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    but think about it. have majority of the people who go to see the movie watch these journals beforehand?

22. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    [link=http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=13315]Comingsoon.net[/link] is saying that WB is planning on sequels for both Superman Returns and Batman Begins. They're expected to hit theaters in 2008 and 2009 respectively. Nolan and Singer are both expected to return as directors but no deal either director is closed.

Well, at least we'll have something besides the regular summer blockbuster cookie cutter epics to look forward to in 2008 and 20009.

23. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    As a Superman aficionado, Im really looking forward to this film - the trailer looks great, keeping Williams' soundtrack is a great idea if their going to do it - its objectively one of the best ever, and having Marlon Brandos' voice of Jor-L will probably work, too. All that said Im not sure if anything comes as close to loving the crap out of Superman then the Smallville writers. Even with various different 90210, WB inspired teen moments, its absolutely a tremendous show with an excellently planned story arc. And I really cant see how anyone - even acting legends like Hackman and Spacey - can contend with Rosenbaums' Lex Luthor. Some people were just born to play certain characters and he's masterful.

24. weezer

May 16, 2001
    :confused:

Isn't that cookie cutter?

Or was that the joke?

25. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    I think the stories of Superman and Batman - given the correct treatments - are anything but cliche or cookie cutter, even if their presented in the form of summer blockbusters. These stories are officially American mythology at this point and will never be passe, unlike other superheroes and their movies. Superman and Batman have completely transcended their comic book roots and no other comic book superhero has , with the exception of MAYBE Spiderman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.