main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You'll believe a man can fly... Again. Superman Returns!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Tabula Rasa, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-ermac

darth-ermac Jedi Master star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    This was on IESB, before being taken down. It's been on Kryptonsite, but may not be now. I got this off the Highlander boards.

Source: IESB
    Superman Returns Story Details
    Author: Robert Sanchez

Just before the holidays we received this email from a very reliable source that spoils the hell out of Superman Returns. So Major Spoiler Warning people! Only proceed if you are ready and willing.

I have broken up the email in three parts. I have been privy to most of this information and even more and I have to tell you that so far it appears to be right on. Some of this is old news and some of it has not been leaked to the net. Here you go, you have been warned Major Spoilers Ahead!

Hey Robert

I wanted to share a few things with you regarding Superman Returns. These things might be known but if they are I have not seen it anywhere. I can't tell you how I saw/read this but here are some highlights.

First off, an astronomer is able to see the remains of Krypton and its big news. Not very clear but enough to see that the remains of the planet of Krypton are in pieces. Clark Kent/Superman finds it necessary to find out if there are any survivors or is he truly the last son of Krypton. Superman goes to the Fortress of Solitude and ?grows? himself a crystal ship and decides to travel to his home planet.

But here is where the problem arises, Superman is scheduled to testify against Lex Luthor but by him leaving the planet the state has to release Lex and drop all charges.

Superman leaves and does not tell anyone, including Lois Lane.

Lois Lane becomes angry at Superman during his absence and starts writing editorials about Superman, ?The World Does Not Need Superman? type of stuff.

As a big fan of real estate, Lex ambitiously plans to make big bucks while Superman is away.

Lex Luthor knowing the location of the Fortress of Solitude decides to pay Superman a house call. It's obvious that Superman is not home. The Fortress of Solitude has a hole in the roof the shape of the Crystal Space Ship that is now en route to Krypton. Lex is free to raid this abandoned home.

Lex Luthor raids the entire Fortress and most of its secrets. It's not just collecting trinkets but the technology that he is after.

It's been some time, maybe even years, and Superman is finally arriving to his home planet of Krypton. He is not dressed in your traditional blue, red and yellow costume but instead a platinum colored suit without a cape.

What he sees shocks him. There remains large pieces of the planet intact floating in space. We even see the large white Dome that we are so familiar with from the first Donner film floating in space.

But as he gets closer he realizes that he is not feeling well. The explosion has created giant pieces Kryptonite. Actually, most of the remains of the planet are almost all Kryptonite. Instead of fleeing he decides to see the remains of his home planet. His ship flies through some giant canyons. He finds these giant statues that resemble the Argonaths from the Lord of the Rings movies. These statues are from past leaders of Krypton. These statues resemble the leader of Krypton that we first saw in the first Superman film.

Superman is finally content that he visited his home world and realizes that he is indeed the Last Son of Krypton.

While Superman was away Lex has been able to study all the Kryptonian technology that he stole from the Fortress. He is getting ready to start implementing his plan, to create a new continent.

The world has continued to live without its hero. It has been able to withstand wars, terrorists attacks and countless other tragedies.

Lois Lane has also continued on with her life. She is in a very serious relationship with Richard White who is portrayed by James Marsden and she is the mother of a young child. The big question is who is the father?

Superman comes back home after being away for a few years.

There is a private space shuttle launch that the whole world is watching. It's a Virgin shuttle on top of a large 777 type plane.

2. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Sounds good to me. :D

3. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005

4. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I don't think its a spoiler thread until there is a non spoiler thread.

5. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    looks like the WB is already wanting a sequel for this and Batman Begins.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=13315

Warner Bros. Pictures is already planning the next installments to Batman Begins and Superman Returns, with respective helmers Christopher Nolan and Bryan Singer in line to return, reports Variety.

While neither director's deal is closed, the studio has hired Jonathan Nolan -- Christopher's brother -- to write the screenplay for the untitled "Batman" project. The studio has options on "Begins" star Christian Bale and "Returns" star Brandon Routh.

Next installment in the Caped Crusader franchise is further along in the process since "Begins" was released last summer; Singer's "Returns," now in post-production, doesn't get released until June 30. "Batman" and "Superman" sequels could make their debut in 2008 and 2009, respectively.

Legendary Pictures, which put up half the financing for both "Begins" and "Returns," is expected to board the sequels and split the budgets 50/50 with Warner Bros. In return, Legendary would split all profits, also 50/50.

One idea being tossed about is for Singer to direct a "Superman" sequel soon after he finishes with Warner's remake of sci-fi thriller Logan's Run, which he's also expected to direct.

The trade says Logan's Run is tentatively scheduled to begin shooting this fall in Vancouver. If Singer did pact to direct the "Superman" sequel, that film could be shot in Vancouver as well.

Singer is also set to direct The Mayor of Castro Street, which is in development at Warner Bros.

"Begins" co-writers David Goyer and Christopher Nolan wrote a treatment for the sequel.

6. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    old news conner ;)

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    :oops: :p

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Being a former spoiler mod, I put it in black to protect those who do not wish to be spoiled until a separate spoiler thread is created.

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    alrighty. so when would be a good time to setup a spoiler or non-spoiler thread? should this one be the spoiler thread?

10. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    The teaser trailer for the Superman Returns game was released on bluetights.net - check it out.

11. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    awesome stuff. i'll most likely be getting that game

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Ask the mods, not me.

13. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    that trailer for the game was pretty good. i hope that with any possible future sequels after Superman Returns we get villains like Metallo going through a city like that. that'd be an impressive sight on the big screen

14. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I actually didn't like the game trailer that much. I was looking for more in game shots and less pre-rendered cinematic I guess. Still it promises to be a blow out of a game and I can't wait to buy it :D

15. DarthSolo3

DarthSolo3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2004
    Being that this film is a direct sequel to "SUPERMAN 2," will the characters of Otis and/or Ms. Tesmacher be in this film?

16. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i believe they are not in the film

17. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    New pics up at bluetights.net - check out the top article and all it's provided links.

18. durden21

durden21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2001
    Direct sequel is a bit of a misnomer. It isn't so much a direct sequel as they didn't throw away what happened in 1 and 2.

19. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    nice pics :)

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Otis and Eve are not in this. They have been replaced with characters who are somewhat like them, but also different.

21. durden21

durden21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2001
    I didn't think there is an Otis-esq character at all. I thought it was all rolled into Kitty. Stanford maybe but wouldn't he be the exact opposite of Otis?

Kind of indicitive of the less campy treatment.

22. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    is there anyword on what year this will take place in? like current day? or back in the late 70's/early 80's?

23. Minder

Minder Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    I have heard its about 5 ish years after the last one ended, so 90's ??

24. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    The paper in the picture that was relaesed today was march 3rd 2000

25. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    that seems like more than 7 years of absence if this is a sequel to Superman II. could they just be updating the storyline by shifting everything from the 1st 2 movies to take place in the 90's then?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.