main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You'll believe a man can fly... Again. Superman Returns!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Tabula Rasa, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Eve was a nice girl who got mixed up with the wrong man. Kitty appears to be a ***** who got mixed up with Lex and thinks he's a little obsessive compulsive regarding Superman.

The similiarity between Otis and Standford is that they're both Lex's right hand, but also they're probably not that bright. Though Standford is probably smarter than Otis, but he's not as smart as Lex. Somewhere in between. We know that Lex will still have that smug superiority and make wisecracks, occassionaly, about his hired help. But it won't be as often as it was with Otis.

The timeline at last check was that Superman had been gone between five to six years. The backstory of the first two films are vauge in the same sense that the comics are. Or like the James Bond films are, where everything is supposed to take place within a few year period, even though there's about 40 some years of material to sift through. This film will take the same approach to the Bond films, prior to the new film that's being made.

2. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    The movie will take place now 2006 the date on the paper 3rd March 2000 is when Superman disappeared so add 5 to 6 years and you have your lucky number.

3. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Well he is supposed to be a "genius" henchman. I'd say he is pretty smart. I see him as being more of an actual help to Lex instead of just a whipping boy. Maybe a bit more Mercy Graves a little bit less Otis.

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i wonder what the running time on this will be. probably around 2 hours like the originals

5. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    When Brian Singer was recently interviewed he said the movie in its current cut was about 2 and half hours, but there's still a long way to go of course.

6. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    that's not bad. i think it should be at or just over 2 hours.

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Spacey on Superman Returns Sequels

Kevin Spacey appeared on the ITV1's Parkinson on Saturday in the UK and talked about starring as Lex Luthor in director Bryan Singer's Superman Returns, coming to theaters and IMAX on June 30.

Spacey confirmed to Michael Parkinson that he'll appear in the sequel to "Returns" and will possibly do a third film as well. He added that he spent six weeks filming the role and that he expects "the franchise to look after him."

In "Returns," the Man of Steel comes back to Earth following a mysterious absence of several years and his old enemy, Lex Luthor, plots to render him powerless once and for all.

8. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Superman Returns Technical Problems

When Superman Returns comes out this June, you?ll hear all the stories about how great it was to work on the well oiled machine. But right now you can hear the funny story of a technical snafu from co-star Eva Marie Saint who plays Martha Kent.

?I was in the very beginning of that when they first started shooting. What is the name of that new camera? Genesis. It?s not film. It was the very beginning of the movie and Brandon Routh [and I] had this emotional scene. He has to come home after five years. He?s been gone and we played this emotional scene, the first time that we were really working together. We went on for about an hour and then the cinematographer said, ?I?m sorry, I didn?t get it.? It?s not like you check to see the film. Somebody just wasn?t doing their job.?

This frazzled the young Routh, but Saint went into maternal mode. ?I said, ?No, no, no. Just take a deep breath. Just make believe you?re doing Broadway, you?re going to do the scene right over again. That was a rehearsal.??

Director Bryan Singer took the incident with good humor. ?I remember Bryan Singer saying, ?Well, that cost us about $600,000 that hour.? So I was in the very beginning when they were working out the kinks and everything.?

Actually, Martha Kent is in one more scene, as there is a PR photo available of her in a city crowd scene. ?At the very end because he goes to the hospital. I?m concerned about his [health] and I think I meet Lois Lane. I don?t know whether that?s cut or not.?

9. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Box office Mojo is saying SR is getting a PG-13 rating for some intense action violence No surprises here. From this extended tag of some intense action violence, it'll be darker than SM2 but lighter than Batman Begins when comparing the reasons for the rating.

10. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i'm not surprised either. also Superman is a lot lighter than Batman in terms of story but still has a serious tone in some parts of his story.

11. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I agree Superman does have dark tones to it, but it's not something that'll scare or intimidate you that way Batman Begins may have to someone under 13. Lex Luthor isn't scary like a Scarecrow. Plus you definitely have brooding cinematography, which really isn't a deciding factor, but still PG-13 all the way here.

12. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i'm really interested to see what scenes warrant it the PG-13 rating. i'm not complaining. just curious. now if they bring in some villains into future films like Doomsday and Metallo then i can see them getting a PG-13 rating for sure

13. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    A PG-13 rating would is a given here

14. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
  15. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    interesting. this is the first time i'm hearing of it. even if it's true wouldn't Jackman seem a little young to be Jonathan Kent even if it's a flashback or when they say "dad" do they mean Jor-El?

16. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    Unlikely they're referring to Jor-El...that's why they purchased the lost Brando footage from his estate, so that he can "reprise" his role for Superman Returns.

Its likely that the Jackman rumor is in reference to Jonathan "Pa" Kent, during the flashback sequence when Clark is a teenager (played by Stephen Bender).

17. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I think people would be seeing Wolvernine no matter what in Jackman especially with X3 a month before. Unless they can do a really good make up job, I'm not too crazy about the casting.

Don't get me wrong, Jackman's a good actor, I just don't want people still having that taste of X3 no matter how good it is when they see Jackman as Kent's father.

18. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    The Superman Returns Trailer

Warner Bros. Pictures revealed the highly-anticipated new trailer for director Bryan Singer's Superman Returns at the ShoWest convention in Las Vegas today. While Singer wasn't able to make it for today's event, the reaction to the trailer was great. Here are a few bits on the trailer from 'Notfabio', who is still at the event:

Reaction to supes trailer was great (and was very clearly modeled after Spider-Man trailers, a look its bird, its a plane...in walks Clark Kent into the Daily Planet office gag)

Brief tights in flight which looked great.

New supes trailer has a solid amount of Lex Luthor, him breaking into the Fortress of Solitude and confronting a projected Jor El and demanding he be told EVERYTHING.

There's a nice scene where Kent looks at a photo of Marsden, Bosworth and their son and Jimmy Olsen tells him the boy is hers and that they are in an extended engagement (Kent cracks the picture frame when he hears the news out of repressed anger) but that she is 'still in love with you know who.'

19. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    My faith in SR is starting to creep back. They better tag that trailer quick. Vendetta's too late to tag and that was WB as well.

20. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i heard something that they might tag it with Poseidon. that comes out May 12th I think. it'd sort of make sense to since the season finale of smallville is around that time they could premiere it with that also

21. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    detailed description of the trailer

Darkness.

We see the WB logo, a logo from another production company then finally DC.

Through the next 30 seconds, we have voice over from Jor-El who is telling Kal that even though they're no longer there with him physically, they will always be there for him otherwise.

During this time, the following scenes occur:

We see a scene in space with a shooting star type thing moving from far away.

Close up and we see a silverish Superman space ship making its way to Earth.

Ship opens and we see Superman inside, sitting or crouching. Looks like the age he should be.

Clark as a boy opens a barn door, probably at the Kent ranch and finds the crystals that grow in his hands.

We see some quick scenes until the familiar one from the trailers where we see Superman up in the sky floating. Close up to his face where his eyes are closed. Eyes open and he flies away. Jor-El voice over has ended by now.

We see the image of the sky. We are inside the Kent home and everything is shaking.

Looks of panic as there are sounds outside, like a large airline too close to the ground or a space ship.

We see crowds of people gathered all looking up at the sky.

We hear a female voice (probably Lois) who says something like "The question really is, where have you been all this time".

We see lots of shots of people noticing that Superman is back.

We see the Daily Planet with the headline "Superman is Back".

We hear the main editor asking if Superman still believes in Truth and Justice. He asks Lois that as Clark walks in.

Some people notice Clark and mention that he is back when they look at him. Someone says "There is always room for a good reporter".

We cut to a shot of Superman flying through land of ice, probably towards the Fortress of Solitude.

We hear the editor talking to Lois and saying that only 3 things sell in News. Tragedy, Sex and Superman. Someone mentions Lex and the editor says that he is old news. I got the impression that Lex was mentioned to stir up some Superman News for the newspaper.

We see a glimpse of Lex right after that statement that Lex is yesterday's news and we hear him say "I THINK NOT".

Next scene. We find Lex inside the fortress of Solitude with a few people to which he comes via a helicopter.

Lex discovers the crystals and remarks how Superman created this entire thing with it.

Clark holds a kid and finds out it belongs to Lois. She is engaged.

We see Clark walking out of the Daily Planet building and we hear that Jimmy and Lois are missing. As the elevator to the door closes, we see Clark fly upwards the elevator.

We see Lex's diabolical scheme. He has taken pieces of the cystals from the fortress and is transforming the entire world with it. We see Lex acting slapsticish. Lois' kid remarks he's bald and lex smiles. Lois comments that his scheme will kill millions to which he replies BILLIONS!

Lex asks Lois to say what he is expecting her to say and she says that he truly is mad. Lex says no not that one. She says Superman will stop you as Lex moves towards her and Lex screams NO! Just as he says that, we see Superman fly in and confront a few people.

We have a shot of Superman and Lex face to face. That's when all the popcorn shots start.

Lots of images of Superman flying around.

There is a rooftop scene where there is a guy shooting a minigun (yes, a minigun) towards Superman who is walking towards him, less than 156 feet away. We see sparks flying off Superman's body as they hit him.

We see a plane flying in the sky. Superman flies up to it and tears its entire wing off.

The trailer ends with jimmy, the editor and Lois looking at a picture in the newspaper, spotting something and they say, is it a bird, a plane. before someone says superman, Clark walks in and disrupts the meeting.

The screen darkens. We see the date of release followed by the words "Look up in the Sky," it ends with a logo of Superman.

:eek: [

22. weezer

May 16, 2001
    AICN has a bit more of a detailed look at the trailer. Its got the usual inane commentary going with it but still is very, very nice :cool:

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    How can anyone not know Perry White's name. Cool trailer description.

24. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Not to mention Jimmy Olson.

25. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004

That's still a good bit off. It doesn't have to be a WB film, but most likely it will be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.