main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You'll believe a man can fly... Again. Superman Returns!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Tabula Rasa, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    In this day and age I'd expect it to hit the net before being "attached" to anything.

With it being shown at ShoWest I'd think we'd see it pretty soon. Its not that far off at this point.

2. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Agreed

3. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I wouldn't be surprised if the new trailer premiered on TV. That's becoming a trend nowadays. It means more people can see it and they don't have to worry about having a slow internet connection speed or having to wait long time while it's being loading.

4. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Thats true.

I think that has more to do with the fact that everything is just one big conglomerate anymore. Fox can pimp their movies on their station free of charge and get some free hype out of it. No doubt that WBs will do the same, the question is will it just be a the WB thing or will they be able to get UPN and CBS in on it too.

Either way its a moot point because even when the show them on TV they hit the net simultainously or slightly before hand. For more and more of American wait time on the internet is a thing of the past ;)

5. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Sure it can attached on Yahoo or something but I can't tell you guys how many times I still go for the trailer to see it on the big screen. ROTS teaser with Incredibles, GOF with Corpse Bride, Spider-Man 2 with ROTK. Especially on the DLP screens :D

6. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Yahoo o_O

While I can't say that I've never gone to see a movie just for a trailer *cough*Meet Joe Black*cough* but its the exception to the rule. I'm sure to see it sooner or later in front of something I want to see so I won't just pop in and out for this one.

Plus going back to my "its the '00s" argument I can watch it in HD here. Sure doesn't beat the theater experience but its getting closer :p

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Exclusive: 1-1 With The Man of Steel!

so it looks like the movie is around 2 hours 30 min - 2 hours 45 min right now. sounds good to me. of course that can change between now and june 30th

8. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Read that the other day.

Some pretty good stuff in there. Talks about the emotional stress that we had been talking about lately as opposed to the physical threats.

9. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Superman in 3-D

Don't know exactly how I feel about that. 3-D always will have the stink of "gimack" even as it tries to legtimize itself. I've heard that IMAX's conversion is amazing and a definite step beyond what they were doing in the 60s and 70s so it would be worth a see. I just hope the non-3-D version isn't effectively ruined like so many of the 3-D movies of old.

If everyone on screen puts on 3-D glasses as a que to the audience I'm going to be pissed :p

10. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i doubt i'll go see the 3D at IMAX. anyway, i think it's likely that the trailer for this will be debuted on TV during the season finale of smallville on May 11th and be online shortly after and it'll be with WB's Poseidon which comes out on May 12th

11. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I'll probably see it as a standard. Maybe DLP if they have it like it but not in 3-D. I don't think I've even seen a movie in 3-D.

12. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Would be a great movie for a first time experience me thinks. Certainly better then say Spy Kids 3-D.

13. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    The only IMAX 3D film I've seen is Space Station 3D (narrated by Tom Cruise). The movie was okay, but the 3D effects were a little disorienting. I'd imagine a big FX film like Superman Returns would lead to severe nausea.

14. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I'm hoping to have the opportunity to see it that way, just to check it out. I'm sure I'll see it first regularly, but the idea of seeing it in 3-D intrigues me [face_thinking]

15. swguru2004

swguru2004 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    The company doing the wire work for Sr but up a cool Behind The Scene's reel on the wire work. Check it out here
    It starts out with some clips from the Matrix, about 1/3rd of the way through it it switches over to SR and the rest is Superman stuff

16. weezer

May 16, 2001
    That takes longer to load than anything in the world. I could of downloaded the movie by now :p

17. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I don't think I could sit through the Matrix part. [face_plain]

18. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    :_|

ROLAND!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

19. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I don't think its ever going to load past the Matrix part. o_O

20. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    The movie comes out in June and I believe the first products start shipping this month. Is anyone looking forward to some SR collectibles? I've ordered a T-shirt with the new "S" design, and I'm really liking the DC Direct 13" figure, but the 4" action figures look like crap.

21. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Yeah, they're horrible, just like the Hook line over a decade ago and the recent Harry Potter and Batman Begins lines. I don't know why Mattel has such a problem with making decent movie action figures. On the other hand, their non-movie figures (Justice League, He-Man, Batman comic-books) are of very good quality.

22. weezer

May 16, 2001
    They actually just opened up the toy site the other day. There is lots of great stuff coming out. It was the star of Toy Fair by far. Some of the 4" stuff looks better then others but for the most part, its not so great.

I don't know if I'll get anything though. I'll have to wait to see it I think.

23. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    That's not looking too hopeful. I agree that most of the Mattel figures are crap. The only reason the Justice League figures work so well is because they're all basically the same build. They just add a few touch ups to the body mold and sculpt a new head.

24. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Mattel figures were crap. They're working with the four horsemen now and the DC line is looking as good or better then DC direct. Their "S3" sculpts for Superman returns are stunning IMO.

The super articulated Superman figure is great. I don't think its 4" scale though.
    [image=http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/4020/dsc000195pq.jpg]

You got to figure that like all non-collector lines the Returns line focuses on kids and playability so the figure is going be built with that in mind. So yeah, the chest will be deformed so they can hide the spring that picks up the truck or the battery that powers the lights in the eyes or the disaster that is "quick change" figures:
    [image=http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/3450/dsc000780hd.jpg]
    But there are a few that look pretty good to me though I'd definitely have to see it in stores before deciding whether or not to buy
    [image=http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/6126/dsc000831gy.jpg]
    [image=http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/7114/dsc000903kj.jpg]
    [image=http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/1828/dsc000672ak.jpg]

25. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    It looks like Charlie Sheen. o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.