main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Saga You'll Like Me When I'm Dead - Post RoTS AU - V/P Dark Drama - Updated - March 15

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jade_Max, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Disclaimer: It?s George?s sandbox, I?m simply destroying the sandcastles

Title: You'll Like Me When I'm Dead
    Author: Jade_Max
    Characters: Darth Vader, Padmé Skywalker, Asajj Ventress
    Genre: Dark Drama, Angst, Dark Romance, Action
    Era: Post RotS AU
    Summary: Suit-less Vader has learned that Padmé has survived and is determined to install her in her rightful place by side...
    Notes: This plot bunny was given to me by Daenarrah, and I can?t thank her enough for the ideas; she has been and continues to be a major influence in the development of this story to ensure that she gets what she wants as the plot bunny is something of a monster and quite a rabid one at that!
    Note 2: This is not a Vader redemption fic. If you're looking for one, this is not the place for you.

Note 3: Daenarrah will now be keeping a PM list for this fic and it will be updated on the 1st and 16th of every month and the update will be noted in the topic line. If you'd like to be added to the list, please let us know.

You'll Like Me When I'm Dead

~*~*~*~

Introduction

~*~*~*~

It?s been twenty months since the creation of the Empire and the revelation of Palpatine?s new apprentice - the once charismatic Hero With No Fear. Fallen from light, Anakin Skywalker has embraced the very darkness he fought to destroy. In full command of his formidable abilities, and a face once known as a sign of hope, he has become a harbinger of death.

Padmé Naberrie Skywalker, having survived the birth of her twins but, having fallen into a coma immediately thereafter, has spent the months since her awakening searching for them. Disillusioned and embittered by the league of 2000?s lack of action and their reluctance to assist her in her search for her children, she?s turned her back on people she once considered her friends. On her own, and teamed up with unlikely allies, Padmé has taken up a campaign of her own against the Empire.

Her husband, once Anakin Skywalker and now known only as Darth Vader, continues his quest against the Jedi and brings her wrath down upon himself. Taking it upon herself to make his life difficult, Padmé has made it her life?s purpose to make him pay for the suffering and death he?s visited upon the galaxy.

Vader, while unknowingly being hunted by his wife, has been given orders by the Emperor that Asajj Ventress, the Force adept once apprenticed to Count Dooku, has been captured. Vader has been dispatched to eliminate her once and for all. But he has plans of his own with regards to the Force adept, for rumors of his wife?s survival have filtered to the Dark Lord and he?s shifted his focus and vowed to bring Padmé back to his side to take her rightful place as his consort...

2. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    ~*~*~*~

Chapter 1

~*~*~*~

ZJ7 Mining Platform, Kuati Sector - Month Twenty, Day Four Post Empire Formation (PEF)

Ice and fire.

Steam.

The planet was little more than a ball of super heated gas with two poles of opposite temperatures and several mining platforms to harvest the mineral rich atmosphere. The name, ZJ7, was more a designation than a name, indicating its importance on the galactic scale. On the edge of the Kuati sector, ZJ7 was home to no indigenous life and held no promise for terraforming. It was a pitiful planet, a desolate planet and one Darth Vader had never had any intention of ever visiting.

He shouldn?t have been so surprised to find her here.

Gloved hands were folded loosely at the small of his back as he stared out at the swirling gray mists that represented what passed for a view in the main room of the only habitable mining platform. It was a room he?d... acquired from the forthcoming citizen. The man had been a fool to deny him and a suitable replacement would be found before they departed orbit.

One finger absently tapped on the back of the opposite hand as the silence of the platform, contrasted by the ultrasonic rumble of the engines he could feel in the soles of his boots, seeped into his mind.

Silence.

Complete and utter silence was such a rare and beautiful thing. It allowed one to examine one?s decisions, to plot a course and determine a correct course of action. It allowed for clarity of thought and vision, and the chance to mentally regroup when faced with a choice of some magnitude.

The finger tapped again - and this was a choice of some magnitude.

On one hand was his Master, the Emperor - a man he hated more than any other being in the galaxy - who had given him an order. On the other hand was the possibility of the ultimate personal gain. Disobeying this one command for the chance and obtaining the one thing that he desired most in the entire Galaxy. The one thing that had slipped through his grasp when he?d had the chance to keep it. The one thing he would risk his life, his position, his very career for. The one thing that completed him above all others and gave him purpose not derived from hatred; his wife - Padmé Skywalker.

She?d slipped through his fingers, stolen by his old mentor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and his child had slipped away with her.

He?d been told she was dead. He?d mourned her, grieved for her and carried her in the corner of his heart untouched by darkness like a beacon. A beacon for what he didn?t know, but a beacon none the less. Her death had driven him to make the Jedi pay for that crime alone.

And now, when things were starting to prove fruitful, she?d reappeared. She?d stepped out of his dreams and into his private psyche like a taunt, daring him to come after her. He?d rejoiced, thinking she would come to him, but she hadn?t. She?d ignored his overtures completely.

Fingers clenched as suppressed rage was simmered and harnessed for the upcoming confrontation. No one, not even his wife, could be allowed to refuse a summons by the Dark Lord of the Sith.

A hissing sound of the doors opening brought his attention back to the present. The humming of the special binders echoing through the room, unnaturally loud even over the firm steps of his personal guards.

?The prisoner, my Lord.?

?Thank you, Captain. Did you disarm her as asked??

The Captain stepped forward and placed the weapons on the ledge of the viewport, ?She was armed only with these.?

?Leave us, Captain.?

?Yes, my Lord.?

The sound of fabric rustling indicated the officer?s bow, a move reflected in the viewport?s surface, before departing. Vader focused his attention through that reflection on the creature who?d been brought before him in binders. The door opened and closed behind the officer, leaving Vader and his prisoner alone.

The lighting was poor, but the pale cast to his prisoner?s skin shone like a light in the darkness, giving him a full view of her insolent visage even as it kept

3. divapilot

divapilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Oh, deviously good!!! ;) I'm looking forward to the next one.

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Game Host Who Loves Fanfics & RPGs star 7 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    Oooh, wriggle!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be keeping alook out for the next update... you write Vader very very very well. =D=
    [:D]

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Oh this looks great! I'll be checking in on the 16th!

=D=

6. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    divapilot ? Thank you ? Daenarrah and I have been working on this for over a year so we hope you enjoy it.

Jade_eyes ? We?re going to be exploring some things we haven?t seen a lot of in fan fic; thank you for the comment on Vader?s characterization - I hope you feel that way throughout :)

VaderLVR64 ? Thank you Kim!

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Ooohhh what an amazing start!

I love the way Vader "convinced" Asajj to help him.

It should be interesting to see how that works out.

Great beginning - I'm looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

8. randomangel22

randomangel22 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2006
    Yay I'm glad that you're writing another Anakin/Vader/Padme story! [face_dancing]

I'm really liking this dark Vader you've got going here and I like that this isn't going to be a redemption fic because sometimes you gotta love a bad Sith like Vader just the way he is [face_mischief] (and it helps that he's suitless :p).

I can't wait until the next post and see when Vader finds Padme. [face_peace]

9. Darth_Leia_6669

Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    Wow! I love this beginning, and the interaction between Vader and Ventress was very well done. I'll be keeping an eye out for the update!

--later--
    6669 [face_devil]

10. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    :eek: Amazing!...Can't believe I missed this story earlier:oops: Looking foward to the 16th!=D=

11. canadianjedimama

canadianjedimama Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 28, 2008
    Hoo-boy! How'd I miss this?

:D Well, I'm here now.

I can't wait to see how the whole Ventress/Vader dynamic is going to work. There's alot of water under that particular bridge...

=D=

CJM

12. Daenarrah

Daenarrah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2005
    I haven't posted here in a long time, but I wanted to stop by and say hi and thank everybody who's read and commented. Jade and I have had a blast working on this fic together. It's been a wonderful collaboration. She's added her own influences and ideas that have really helped shape this fic and make it what it is. I hope everybody enjoys what's to come.

Jade said it best; we'll be exploring things that we haven't seen a lot of in fan fic. Our angle and approach, we feel, is a bit different from the norm. And it's been fun! [face_devil]

I'll be popping in every now and then, when RL and school allows me. But again, thanks everybody for the comments. It feels good to know you all enjoy what we've come up with. And thanks to you, Jade, for the opportunity to collaborate on this rabid frothing bunny that has left plenty of bite marks so far. This fic wouldn't be half of what it is without you.[face_love]

13. penpadme

penpadme Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2006
    I have just been back to this site after a long time. I starting reading this and was so happy that I have found my way back to SW fiction. This story has an amazing start and I have to say that dark Anakin/Vader is very intriguing. I love it and can't wait for the updates. Wonderful writing!

14. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The Fanfic Manager With The Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Your writing never ceases to draw the reader in and make them want more.

I am very intrigued, and can't wait for the 16th! [face_dancing]

~MJ@};-

15. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    KELIA ? Thanks :D Vader is just a nasty. Evil man ? and that will play out throughout... Asajj as his ?apprentice? is a lot of fun [face_devil] for us anyway

randomangel22 ? lol this is very different from any Anakin/Vader/Padmé story I?ve ever written before, that?s for sure. Kinda a ?Smuggler!Padmé ? Evil Anakin cross breed *laughs*

I'm really liking this dark Vader you've got going here and I like that this isn't going to be a redemption fic because sometimes you gotta love a bad Sith like Vader just the way he is (and it helps that he's suitless )

LOL! Exactly? exactly! Sithly Vader is awesome... and will continue to be so :D

Darth_Leia_6669 ? Thank you. I hope we can keep the action as intriguing as it is to start throughout

Lady_Skywalker87 ? Thanks!

canadianjedimama ? The Vader/Ventress dynamic is a powerful one ? but this story is absolutely chalked full of twists and turns, so I don?t think everyone will be expecting what happens and that is part of the fun

In fact ? we fully expect our readers to be screaming bloody murder by the end of this *laughs* so we?ll see what happens ;)

Daenarrah ? [:D] You said it, girl! This fic is awesome and the bunny gets more and more fluffy the longer we brain storm. You?re a doll for giving me a chance to work with you on this :D

penpadme ? Welcome back to ff.net ? and thanks for jumping into something that?s going to be a wild ride. Thanks for reading!

Mira_Jade - *laughs* I swear you?ve read everything I write ? I don?t know how you stomach it all! ;) just kidding, thanks for reading, hon!

Thanks for all your kind comments guys, we hope we can keep you riveted throughout this long and arduous journey. To give you guys an idea ? we?re over 20 chapters written ahead in and not half way there yet.

If I complete my personal writing goal for November, we?ll be finished it by Christmas ? and then updates will come more frequently. Thanks for your patience!

16. Darth_Nellie

Darth_Nellie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2008
    I like this very much. I've only heard a little bit about Ventress so don't know much about her history. But the dynamic that you've already established has got me hooked. And like others that have responded, I love this badass Vader. Can't wait to see how this "relationship" works out with all the twists and hidden agendas. And then there's Padme...

17. Vix_Anne

Vix_Anne Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2006
    *edit* *grumbles about socks...*

18. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Darth_Nellie ? I didn?t know much about Ventress before we started writing this either, so yeah? it?s been fun! I?m glad you?re enjoying it thus far ? thanks for reading :D

And Padmé - she makes an appearance in the next chapter!

Without further ado - since tomorrow I've an impossibly messy schedule and don't know if I'll be on the boards at all: Chapter 2!

~*~*~*~

[b][u]Chapter 2[/u][/b]

~*~*~*~

[b] Padmé's Hidden Base - Month Twenty, Day Six PEF[/b]

?If I dig any deeper, I?ll trigger the security system. You?re the one who said we couldn?t be noticed, remember??

Slender fingers reached up to rub stress lines across a weary brow as coffee brown eyes closed against the strain. She?d been up for thirty hours straight waiting for word from her partner and still nothing.

?Padmé??

She dropped her hand and managed a weak smile. ?I?m just worried, Max. You're right of course; we can't risk being detected.?

?You?ve been pushing yourself awful hard lately; don?t you think we could give it a rest for a few days??

?And let him win? Let him have his way, to continue slaughtering people for wanting nothing more than the very freedoms he stole??

?This quest of yours is going to kill you, you know that right??

Her lips twitched but there was no humor behind it. ?Unless I can find my children, what's the point?"

Max regarded her silently for a long minute, his angular face morose as he shook his head and turned back to his work. His fingers flew confidently over the keypad as he went back to his assignment. Padmé's finger slid over the back of his chair as she hung over his shoulder, watching as her fingers toyed absently with the whips of hair that tickled the nape of his neck. Information scrolled by as Max sliced into the personal database of Darth Vader searching for the names of the Jedi he was currently hunting and indications they'd been found.

"There." Padmé jabbed her finger at the screen and the information stopped scrolling. A few taps on the keys and the list came into pull focus. Her fingers tightened, whitening on the back of the chair. Twenty seven names glared at her, just over half of them in red.

Vader had been busy.

Max downloaded the copy of the list, carefully erasing his cyber footprints behind him before delving into the list of names and bringing up several along with their current known locations. The information was copied carefully and cross referenced with whatever information on those names they currently had. He didn't touch the red listed names; the dead needed no favors.

Padmé slipped the disk Max handed her into one pocket of her jacket - she'd examine it later - and strode to what she considered her office several doors down. She checked her coded message box one more time, leaning against the panel and not daring to sit. If she did, she might succumb to exhaustion and she had to know. Her contact was late, so late that Padmé was starting to wonder if something horrible had happened. Something-

The door hissed open, bringing her head around as her hand dropped to the ever-present blaster on her hip. It fell away as the pale figure, over a day late, strode confidently into her office.

"You're late, Asajj."

"I was detained."

"Anything I should know about?"

Asajj settled herself comfortably into the chair across from Padmé's desk, her booted feet coming to rest on the table top. "I was delayed, Padmé, nothing more."

Padmé examined the woman before her for a moment before accepting her at her word. "Must have been some delay."

"I ran into some old friends." Asajj flicked her hand towards the carafe on Padmé's desk and telekinetically poured herself a glass of water. The carafe paused before pouring a second glass for her hostess. The bottom barely tinkled before both glasses lifted into the air and one flew gracefully towards Padmé, the other coming to rest in Asajj's outstretched palm.

Padmé arched her eyebrows. "You've been practicing."

"And you look like hell." Asajj regarded her pa>

19. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The Fanfic Manager With The Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Ooh, very nice. I was going to wait until tommorow to check for an update, yet here's one here early. :p

This was interesting. It's odd seeing Padme so callused and hardened - I can't blame the girl, not one bit. Still, it is odd to see. She's usually such a warm, compassionate person. Interesting too is Asajj's role in this story. I'll admit to not knowing much about her, but I like her character here. I can assume she's playing a spy for Vader, but I'm fully prepared to have 'what I think I know' turn into something else entirely. ;) You've brought an interesting OC into the mix too - Max. (Coincidence here? ;)) I like him. He seems level headed, and I like the support he can give Padme.

I feel spoiled now. I already want to read more. :p

LOL! Well, you just keep on kicking out stories like these, and I'll force myself to 'stomach' many more! [face_love]

Just tell me when I start to border on stalker-ish. [face_laugh] ;)

~MJ@};-

20. penpadme

penpadme Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2006
    WOW! Padme has become so cynical and bitter. I imagine that is exactly how she would have behaved if she had lived. I like the way you are writing the characters and I like this "arrangement" deal between Padme and Max. Another interesting tidbit in the developing story. Can't wait for more! Loved it!

21. Darth_Leia_6669

Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    I wasn't expecting to see Asajj and Padme as partners, but it does make sense. Actually, I think I like the implications this could carry. Very interesting development and I cannot wait to see more!

--later--
    6669 [face_devil]

22. canadianjedimama

canadianjedimama Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 28, 2008
    So Asajj is playing both ends against the middle... interesting.

Oh the tangled web you weave...:D

CJM

23. barriss31

barriss31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    I never would have thought to pair Padme with Ventress. They should make for an explosive combination. I am very interested to see how you work the relationship between the two. What I've read about the character online gives Ventress a horrible start in life.

I will check back in!

24. divapilot

divapilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Very interesting! Padmé and Vader are playing each other like it's an ugly, bitter divorce, which, in a way, it is. Ventress is of course not to be trusted, and Padmé knows this.

Max is intriguing. Kind of like Han Solo, a little, I think.

She lived for revenge, for the day when she would see his face shatter under the bolt of her blaster. For the day when she would steal from him the very things he'd stripped from her without thought or conscience. For the day she would pay him back for all of the slights and hurts; for the agony he'd inflicted upon her daily life. For the day she'd pay him back for the choices he'd made that had stolen her children from her and cast the galaxy into darkness.

Wow. Bitterness seems to be her companion now. I wonder if her need for revenge is more important than her need to protect her children, or if her children's situation feeds her need for revenge.

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Game Host Who Loves Fanfics & RPGs star 7 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow!!! Padme's different totally in this but very believable... the arrangement she has with Asajj and also with Max--very intriguing. Both are for expediency and practical ends. [face_thinking] Asajj's observation that Padme had the chance for revenge earlier (twice) but didn't follow through is interesting... it's almost as if the desire for revenge is a cover for another desire? o_O Even now...