main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga You'll Like Me When I'm Dead - Post RoTS AU - V/P Dark Drama - Updated - March 15

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jade_Max, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    no worries! Can't wait until tomorrow![:D]

2. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    ~*~*~*~

Chapter 16

~*~*~*~

Padmé's Secret Base - Padmé's Office - Month Twenty Three, Day Twenty Nine PEF

A week went by before Asajj returned and it gave Padmé time to think about the Force Adept's explosion and the ugly accusations. In particular the idea that she was still in love with her husband. Max had forgiven her quickly enough after an abject apology, and she'd spent a good deal of that week mentally fighting the accusation or trying to deny it in Max's embrace.

Thus far, she'd come to only one conclusion. Asajj was right. Padmé was still in love with her husband - with Anakin. But Anakin had died the moment Vader had emerged, twisted and evil. Anakin might have fallen, true he'd tripped a time or two, but he'd always seemed to emerge stronger than before. More confident; more skilled. He'd persevered through hardships few had faced and come back to her with fewer scars than she'd ever expected. She'd dreaded hearing from some source about his death and had been ecstatic - and terrified - when she'd discovered the miracle of their child. The events that had followed her revelation of the secret to Anakin, and his joyful reception, were painful to recall.

Padmé stared out the viewport in her office, fighting to resist the memories that were closer at hand thanks to Asajj's disgusted accusation. Memories that were tied into her children and held the power to rattle her resolve and deny her the revenge she so desperately sought.

The absolution.

"Brooding doesn't solve anything."

A faint smile crossed her lips. "And it doesn't mend fences either, right Max?"

"You said it, not me." He moved to stand beside her, his hands sliding over her shoulders and beginning to kneed the taught muscles. "But some fences aren't worth mending."

"We need her."

"You need her, you mean."

Padmé shrugged. "Is there a difference? I know she's been acting strange lately, but no more than normal when I really think about it."

"Are you trying to rationalize not changing the transponder codes or are you just trying to convince yourself?"

"I don't know." She sighed. "I can't do this without her and I know it. She's my best chance..."

"You'll find them, Padmé."

"It doesn't do me any good if Vader's still alive, does it? Maybe you and Asajj are right."

His hands stilled for a moment before continuing. "About which part?"

"Maybe I can't kill Vader."

"Maybe you're just not a killer, is that it?"

"Not on the same level as the Stormtroopers or the Empire's sniper units. Or like the mercenaries we hire."

"Like, Asajj you mean."

"That too." Padmé sighed, rotating her shoulders under his fingers. "Hmmm, that feels good."

"Asajj's past forged her into the kind of person she is, full of bitterness and hatred."

"Isn't that what I am?"

"To a degree. But you also regret your actions when they affect other people. Asajj doesn't." He squeezed her shoulders before going back to the consistent kneading. "It's what makes you such an effective leader. You're driven, but you don't allow that drive to overrule your awareness of the people who work with you as individuals. We're not pawns to be thrown away when things go wrong."

"Like in some of Asajj's plans you mean."

"In their first drafts maybe," the grin in his voice was noticeable. "Once you've looked at them you ensure that's not the case."

"But what if I can't kill Vader, Max?" She turned to look at him. "What if... what if after all of this I simply can't look that monster in the eye and be rid of him for good?"

"Then you'll find another way. You're just not cut out to be an assassin, Padmé - you're too human."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Max slid his hands up to cup her face, his thumbs tracing the lines of her cheek bones. "It means that you care too much no matter-"

"Mistress Padmé! Mistress Padmé!"

Padmé stared at Max for another moment but he didn't finish his sentence before she reluctantly turned to look at Threepio. Max's hands slid from her face and he stepped away to give her space. "What is it Threepio?"

The golden pr

3. Kitten

Kitten Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2005
    OMG!!! How's Padme going to get out of this!?!:eek:

4. Force_Chick

Force_Chick Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2008
    Well done! I had a feeling it was Vader. I hope Padme can get out of this.:_|

5. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    I really enjoy the chimestry between Padmè & Max, specially in this in chapter as well the banter with 3po...I'm also glad that Padmè admitted to herself that she is still inlove with her husband....ABOUT TIME!:p

Mistress, I feel obligated to remind you of my last instructions from-"

Her smile died. "Do and I'll deactivate you."

Great lines! so bittersweet...

YES,YES,YES,YESS!!! ASAJJ COMPLTED HER MISSON, AT LAST THEY FIANALY MEET![face_dancing]

*bites nails*

I've been waiting for this moment since the begining of the story...I only hope that at least Ventress has indded freed herself from Vader's grip somewhat by this & really hope that Padmè dosen't let her weakness for her husband show...otherwise Vader will use it against her.[face_worried]

Can't wait to see how this "meeting" unfolds! [face_hypnotized]

Awsome update Guys!!!=D= =D= @};- @};-

Thanks for the PM![:D]

6. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    "You're probably walking into a trap."

"I know."

Perhaps Padme realized it's time to either face Vader and kill him or come to terms with the fact that she can't and never will be able to.

"Hello, Wife"

Ooohhh what an ending!!

I hope Padme has got some kind of trick up her sleeve....

[face_worried] [face_worried] [face_worried] [face_worried]

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

7. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005

"Well done, my apprentice."

Padmé's breathing caught in her throat, her eyes widening at the sight before her, unable to comprehend what she was hearing and seeing. A charming smile and the flash of even, white teeth registered at almost the same time as the clarity of the blue in his eye color as those familiar orbs met hers.

Vader.

"Hello, Wife."

It was worthwhile waiting for this up-date and I will try my best to live with that nasty cliffhanger here, because I know all about busy lives as well. [:D]

8. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    *laughs* Thanks for your comments guys; this story's really tricky to keep the tone on but Daenarrah's fabulous when it comes to keeping me on the right track...

And without further ado... the reunion [face_devil]

~*~*~*~

Chapter 17

~*~*~*~

Vader's Flag Ship Exactor - Month Twenty Three, Day Thirty PEF

The silence that descended into the room was almost eerie as Vader stood before Padmé, watching her.

Waiting.

"Bastard!"

The word escaped Padmé's lips, hissing with such venom that Vader arched his eyebrows in total surprise. Spinning, she shoved Asajj, reaching for her lightsaber. The green blade sprang to life, barely missing the Force Adept as it was tugged free from her belt.

Asajj rolled back to her feet, but Padmé's target wasn't her.

Padmé saw red as her stomach sank to her toes and blind rage exploded before her eyes. It had been a set up. A trap. Asajj had betrayed her to the very person they both claimed to hate so much. Asajj was Vader's apprentice! With an unintelligible roar of anger, she lunged at Vader. Red crossed green as Padmé brought the blade down in an uncontrolled over handed chop.

Blocked, she lunged again, this time trying to swing in from the side.

"Padmé!"

She registered the command in the tone and the voice that spoke it, but she didn't heed it. "I'll kill you!"

The blade came down once more.

Vader grasped her wrist just below where the hilt of Asajj's lightsaber touched it and squeezed, spinning Padmé in a quick movement that brought her flush against his chest, her hand holding the lightsaber crossed across her back, the other pinned to her body. The lightsaber was pointed harmlessly away from him while his own was a hair breadth from her neck. He hadn't thought about the maneuver - he'd simply done it, and pulled back before striking the killing stroke.

Annoyed, and a little frustrated - she'd attacked him without provocation! - he looked down at her sternly. "That's enough!"

Padmé glared up at him, her brown eyes shooting daggers, a deep, burning hatred simmering in their depths. Tossing her head a little, Vader eased the lightsaber blade back fractionally so she didn't injure herself. She didn't notice, her low, spiteful words a challenge. ?Go ahead. You?ll like me when I?m dead.?

Like her better dead? Was she daft? He hadn't risked everything from his standing with the Emperor to his life simply to kill her. Why did she think he'd called her when he'd found out about her existence? Squeezing, his fingers dug into the tendons of her wrist and Asajj's lightsaber dropped from a hand gone too numb to hold it. That the pain he inflicted wasn't represented in her eyes was a touch unsettling. Not that she would know that.

"On the contrary, wife," he told her pointedly, glaring back, "I'll like you much better alive."

"I wouldn't bet on that!"

The red blade deactivated and his grip on her eased. Padmé pulled violently out of his grasp and he let her go despite the condescending little smirk that played about her lips. His gaze never leaving her face - a face he'd dreamed about since he was a boy - he raised his voice. "Lieutenant."

Two stormtroopers stepped forward. "Yes sir?"

"Cuff her."

Padmé struggled, but Asajj stepped in, lifting one hand and closing her fingers. Padmé's struggles stopped as her body went suddenly immobile. Vader crossed his arms over his chest, waiting, as the stormtroopers cuffed his wife, tapping his lightsaber hilt against his cheek. The troopers stood back, taking one of Padmé's arms each as Asajj released her Force hold. With their spare hands they stripped her of a second blaster and vibro knife on her belt.

Vader stepped forward, looking down into Padmé's face and smiled. It was a smile she remembered, and one that was slightly mischievous despite its darker connotations. "Lieutenant."

"Sir?"

"Take her to my quarters and stand guard until I arrive."

"What?!"

"Yes sir. Would you like us to leave her cuffed?"

"That will not be necessary - once she is inside."

"You should put me

9. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    "What's wrong with you?"

For some reason, that question struck me as funny. After everything Anakin did, all she's been through and Vader comes up with a question like that. I've heard of being in denial before, but this is ridiculous.

I'm glad Padme found the strength to try and fight...fruitless as her efforts were. :(

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

10. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    :eek: Wow!

Flush against her for the second time in less than an hour, he found the circumstances less than ideal. Yes, he wanted her with him, but not like this! "What's wrong with you?"

Love Vader being conflicted & in denial as well...something tells me that he will be civil with her...I hope![face_praying] [face_worried] [face_worried] [face_worried]

At least Padmè's detemined to fight...I hope she can stay true to her claim...I'm not sure how much more she'll be able to take though.[face_worried]

Flawless Update!@};-
    =D= =D= =D=

11. LittleMissNightsaber

LittleMissNightsaber Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2009
    Impressive, Most Impressive. I can't wait until Vader asks her the Big Question
    PM me and update fast!

12. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    EEK! Still getting caught up! So sorry! I never seem to have enough reading time. :p

But I love this story. =D=

13. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    KELIA - You're forgetting that Anakin/Vader never really believed anything he did was wrong; that he did everything for a very good reason. What he can't fathom is why is wife can't grasp it the way does - which is why her behavior is so abstract to him.

I've heard of being in denial before, but this is ridiculous.

Rediculous? Maybe, but realistic none-the-less since he truly believes everything he's done has been for her and she should be grateful.

Lady_Skywalker87 - Vader has a lot of good reasons to be civil to her, especially since he believes that they can simply pick up where they left off - and is being rudely awakened from that misconception ;)

LittleMissNightsaber - The Big question, eh? There are a lot of big questions that the two of them have to cover, not to mention some reveltaions each will be exposed to. Hang onto your hat - it's going to be a bumpy ride [face_devil]

VaderLVR64 *laughs* Boy, do I ever know -that- feeling. We're glad you're reading through! Take your time ;)

Note - PM List:

AzureAngel2
    KELIA
    Lady_Skywalker87
    VaderLVR64
    Force_Chick
    LittleMissNightsaber
    canadianjedimama

14. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    ~*~*~*~

Chapter 18

~*~*~*~

Vader's Flag Ship Exactor - Month Twenty Three, Day Thirty PEF

Padmé prowled through Vader's quarters after she'd found her composure, keeping an ear open for the door as she checked her new cage. Without her blaster - the only weapon she'd had against him - she would need to find another way to strike out at him.

Her search revealed an opulent bed chamber, decadent in its trappings and not at all like the bunk she'd known him to have at the Jedi Temple; a way to distance himself from that part of his past? A 'fresher next to the bedroom was across the hall from a small kitchenette. The 'fresher had yielded nothing helpful, though there were knives in the kitchen she could use in a heartbeat.

Between the kitchen, 'fresher and bedroom was a large sitting area that was furnished for entertaining. Who or what she didn't know. Around the corner, where she'd had her second showdown with Vader, was a viewing area. A large viewport showed the stars as they passed through hyperspace and two couches had been set up to take advantage of the view. Holo-novel and display cases were in two corners, but neither had anything that looked remotely like a weapon.

The wall opposite the viewing port held a locked door she had yet to pick. Eventually, when she was calmer and certain Vader wouldn't be walking back in at any second, she would attempt some of the tricks Max had shown her.

Max.

Taking a deep breath, she steadied herself at the thought of her companion. He'd be worried about her, about their agreement - but would he search for her? She hoped not even as a sinking sensation in the pit of her stomach told her otherwise. Max would look for her, and he'd probably find her - but what would he think then? He didn't know to whom she'd been married and he would only put himself in danger if he came looking for her.

Frustration simmered at the edges of her temper as she mentally reviewed what she'd found in Vader's quarters - and came up with nothing that could even remotely be a comm. station. Somehow she had to get a message to Max, to warn him to disappear, to not come looking for her. She had to tell him-

"Padmé?"

She'd missed the sound of the door opening. Cursing silently, she straightened her spine, turning her back to the door and taking the step necessary to put her behind one of the couches. Bracing both hands on the back of it, she stared out the viewport as her fingers dug into the fabric of the sofa.

"Padmé, didn't you hear me call you?"

Vader's stern tone brokered no disobedience - but she wasn't in the mood to obey. Ignoring him, she continued to stare at the star lines when all she wanted at that moment was the strength to lift the piece of furniture so she could bash him over the head with it. But, if wishes were speeders... Vader started towards her and she counted his measured steps, opening her mouth to speak when she was certain he was close enough to reach for her.

"Touch me and I'll break every bone in your hand."

"You can't still be angry."

Eyes with less warmth than Hoth at its coldest turned to meet his blue orbs. "I've been taken hostage and locked in the one place in the galaxy I have no wish to be with a monster."

"Then perhaps it would do you well to show a little fear."

Tossing her head, she finally straightened to look at him. "Showing fear to an animal only gets you injured and I have no intention of being its next victim."

"Stop it, Padmé."

"Then let me go."

"Never." That smug smile reappeared. "I've been searching for you for a long time, wife; I don't intend to let you escape."

"I'm not your wife."

Vader waved one hand as if to dismiss her protest, ignoring her retort. "It?s late and you've had a long day - you must be tired.?

"I'm fine."

"Suit yourself."

To her surprise, Vader headed easily for his bedchamber, reaching up as he did so to loosen the ties on his cloak. His image passed beyond her view, only his reflection in the view port giving her any indication as to his progress. The cloak was remove

15. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    What had happened to his wife?

Yowser! I 've heard of being delusional before but this is ridiculous.

How could Vader expect Padme to be his loving wife after all he's done?

I really love her fighting spirit - I just hope it doesn't cost her....

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

16. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    He'd done nothing, nothing except try to keep her and their child safe.

So sad that he still believes that...

I love the insight into their conflicted minds.

I only hope that Vader remains civil & that Padmè remains strong....but I have a feeling that's just wishful thinking...[face_worried]

Superb Update!=D= =D= =D=

17. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    :eek:

This was breathtaking! Wow!

What a fight, what strong personalities clash together here.

Thanks for this incredible up-date!

18. Force_Chick

Force_Chick Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2008
    [face_shame_on_you] Vader you are delusional if you think Padme doesn't have reason to dispise you.

Please keep me on the PM list, JM.

19. canadianjedimama

canadianjedimama Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 28, 2008
    Oh wow... I can't believe how delusional Vader is in this. 8-}

Though it's a very real what-if if he'd survived Mustafar intact. [face_thinking]

I like this very much. Please add me to your PM list.

Thanks,
    CJM

20. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    "Soon, my love," he promised softly. "Soon you'll remember and the will no longer be this distance between us."

Lovely! =D=

21. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002

KELIA - It is truly delusional or is it simply uninformed? Vader's got not clue what Padmé's really been through to this point... so how could he possibly know or understand what's changed her?

How could Vader expect Padme to be his loving wife after all he's done?

I think the better question is how can he not to when everything he believes he's done has been right when it comes to protecting her? I can totally understand things from Padmé's perspective, but in this we're also exploring Vader's... and Vader doesn't never felt he'd done anything wrong.

It's funny how a lot of the readers, both here and at ff.net, find that Vader's "delusional" but the point of this was to go for 'realisim' in his reactions and hers. Extreem, high charged, but real - hence the reason he still believes he and Padmé can just pick up from where they left off. :)

AzureAngel2 Thanks! There's a lot more clashing to happen, so hold on for a wild ride!

Force_Chick - Vader's just going by what he believes to be true - so is it truely delusional or simply his point of view? *grin* I mean, we all know what Padmé has good reason to hate him... but according to him, everything he's done has been for her, so why should she hate him?

canadianjedimama - And the realism is what we're headed for in this
    what-if since the idea here was to explore it with him and Padmé as flawed human beings who'd grown beyond their innocent beginnings. Vader's naivete with regards to his wife isn't going to last though... Padmé will make sure of it.

VaderLVR64 - Thanks :)

Author's Note: Sorry for making you guys wait - I've been sick for several weeks and only back on my feet for a couple of days... enjoy :)

~*~*~*~

[b][u]Chapter 19[/u][/b]

~*~*~*~

[b]Vader's Flag Ship [i]Exactor[/i] - Month Twenty Three, Day Thirty One PEF [/b]

Waking from an intermittent sleep early the following morning, Vader checked the chrono on his night table and made a soft sound of disgust. It was far too early after a late, and mostly sleepless, night but for one boon. His wife was here. True, she hadn't yet been receptive to the idea and claimed she still desired to kill him, but it was bluster. He'd felt her yield to him yesterday when he'd had her pinned against the wall, and there'd been no mistaking the [i]interest[/i] in her gaze when he'd emerged from his bedchamber to retrieve her.

Her look had been a near physical thing and he'd yearned to hold her like he'd once done - only she was less than receptive. A flinch twisted his features as he remembered just how unreceptive, and vowed to keep his guard up against her knees. He didn't need another painful reminder of her disposition. A good night's sleep would have improved her outlook and this morning, and he felt it would bring the reunion he'd been anticipating.

Rolling from his bed, he arched his back and reached for the ceiling as the satisfying cracks and pops of the tension releasing pinged through the room. The release was enough to renew him momentarily before stepping from his bedroom. He'd hoped Padmé would still be sleeping so he could wake her, but was woefully disappointed to find her not only awake, but having taken up a position that would - in the weeks to come - become a daily ritual.

Standing in profile to him, her hair still tumbling in a riot of curls about her face and shoulders, her posture was stiffly erect, belied as defensive only by the way she had her arms crossed and seemed to be hugging herself. Stepping towards the alcove she seemed intent on claiming as her own, he smiled. "Good morning."

Her features tightened in obvious displeasure and the blood suddenly drained from her fingers as the pressure increased incrementally on her arms. Other than the physical signs that she'd heard him, she didn't so much as look at him, nor did she respond.

"I said, good morning Padmé. Did you sleep well?"

A clipped note had worked its way into his voice and it brought her head around slowly, her brown eyes coolly disinterested. Her gaze re

22. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    Ther're still some glimmer of Anakin in Vader alright ...the man is still as clueless, naive & slow as ever!:p

um maybe your wife broke it and gave it to you in hopes you get the hint & start to comprehend how she feels towads you!!???[face_frustrated]

"Anakin lost me the moment he stopped believing in me and what we fought for; what we lived for." Padmé crossed her arms over her chest, unmoved by his impassioned admission as she turned her back to look out the viewport once more in clear dismissal. "I never belonged to you, Vader; and I never will."

Death blow![face_beatup]

I love how exquisitely you write their fights, make their raw emotions and angst so tangible...it's truly a magical experience to read!@};-

I'm glad her words are stabbing him even though not quite sinking in yet. Hopefully her response as to why she broke the Snippet will make him understand... but sadly, I know he won't. What's worse is that he will blame Max for Padmè's behavior once he finds out about him , if he finds out...just like he did to OW on Mustafar.

Excellent Update Jade!=D= @};-

Hope you're feeling better![:D] [face_coffee]

23. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Had he killed her by his rash actions on Mustafar?

The Padme he once knew - absolutely. She's changed whether he likes it or not.

Still, his reaction to the japor snipet being broken gives me hope there's a bit of Anakin left inside just waiting to be reborn.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

24. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    He'd felt her yield to him yesterday when he'd had her pinned against the wall, and there'd been no mistaking the interest in her gaze when he'd emerged from his bedchamber to retrieve her.

This way their private war can do on for eternity. Not even reading a book like "Why men don´t listen and women can´t read maps" could save their marriage at this point.

Vader is too deep into sith lore and this ´master and servant thing´ that automatically comes with it. He is also clinging on to some slushy memories of the past. A past that is over now. For now is here.

And Padmé... well she indeed died and is re-born as somebody else.

I hope they will learn about the ´new person´ they have to deal with soon. Otherwise we have a tragedy going on that will involve more dead people that Shakespear ever invented.

25. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    "I watched your funeral!" The raw agony in those words would have been humbling had she harbored any kind of remaining tenderness for him.

"Then you're as gullible as the rest of the galaxy," she spat, deliberately cruel in her response. She didn't want to feel anything for him, to be reminded of what he'd once been. Vader was not Anakin, no matter that they shared the same face. "My funeral was obviously faked."

"Obviously," he returned the word tightly, more emotions than she believed he still possessed flitting across his features; emotions Padmé chose to ignore. "For the benefit of the Empire no doubt."

"For your benefit," the correction was barbed and dripping with disdain. "Because of you, everyone had to pretend I was dead. Meanwhile I lay in a coma for months! Something I?m sure you didn?t know. But then how could you? You, and the rest of the galaxy, thought - believed - I was dead!? Padmé trembled from the anger she felt pulsing through her body.

?If I had known then you were alive I would have done everything in my power to find you and make sure you were all right,? Vader returned hotly.

Loved this exchange, and how glimpses of Anakin shine through. Lovely! =D=