main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Young Indy has a street date and Cover Art!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by DarthLowBudget, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Sidious-

Darth_Sidious- Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    Sounds cool, especially the WWI eps.

Who plays Sean Connery/Indy Sr?

2. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Cover Art and Info from TV Shows On DVD

Information, Number of Discs, and Retail Price
    http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7862

Cover Art
    http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7899

Larger Version of The Cover Art
    http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/adventures-of-young-indiana-jones.html

Looks absolutely fantastic, although the price is way more then I expected.

3. simon_hrdng

simon_hrdng Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2005
    What about the UK release date? Will it be the same?

4. Insidious_One

Insidious_One Jedi Knight

Jan 12, 2007
    Details of the DVD's. From TFN front page http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Young_Indiana_Jones_DVD_Details_108267.asp

5. Darth_Sidious-

Darth_Sidious- Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    The art for the DVD case looks great.

6. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Good god those bonus features are extraoridinary. It's like getting a year of the History Channel in one box.

7. howardgarbo

howardgarbo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    I haven't watched any of these since they were originally broadcast. This set's a good way to catch up with them.

8. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Starwars.com has an in depth look at the contents of the Young Indy DVD set.

August 27, 2007 - Young Indiana Jones Comes to DVD
    http://www.starwars.com/community/news/films/f20070827/index.html

August 30, 2007 - Young Indy on DVD: A Tour of Volume 1: Disc 1
    http://www.starwars.com/community/news/films/news20070830.html

9. bluesaber70

bluesaber70 Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2007
    I know what I'll be buying this fall :D !

10. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    September 7, 2007 - Young Indy on DVD: A Tour of Volume 1: Disc 3
    http://www.starwars.com/community/news/films/news20070907.html

Really looking forward to the documentary on Norman Rockwell.

11. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005

So, I take it that the sets will include the episodes and the feature length films? But, what about the episodes that were never aired? Will they be included?[face_worried]

12. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    The episodes are edited into feature length films and they do include the unaired episodes.

13. simon_hrdng

Aug 6, 2005
    Come On!!!!!!!!!

Surely it's time to announce the region 2 release date.

14. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Volume Two Cover Art!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Young-Indiana-Jones-Chronicles-Volume-2-Box-Art/8156

15. mandalore15

mandalore15 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 29, 2000
    The bonus features on this box set look amazing, but I'm a little disappointed by what appears to be a lack of behind the scenes features relating to the actual making of the show. This series was one of the longest sustained location film shoots in history (continuously shooting for over 2 years at some place in the world), and this series was the proving ground for the technology that Lucas eventually used to create the prequels. The bonus features on these DVDs are almost exclusively related to the historical figures that appeared in the show, which is great, but I would love to get a comprehensive story of bringing the Young Indy series to the screen. Perhaps on one of the other box sets. I'm also wondering if the "Old Indy" bookend segments that played when the show was broadcast originally (featuring a 90 year old Indy) will show up on one of these box sets. They were kind of cheesy, but it would be nice for completists sake to include them.

16. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Quote:

"The bonus features on this box set look amazing, but I'm a little disappointed by what appears to be a lack of behind the scenes features relating to the actual making of the show. This series was one of the longest sustained location film shoots in history (continuously shooting for over 2 years at some place in the world), and this series was the proving ground for the technology that Lucas eventually used to create the prequels. The bonus features on these DVDs are almost exclusively related to the historical figures that appeared in the show, which is great, but I would love to get a comprehensive story of bringing the Young Indy series to the screen. Perhaps on one of the other box sets. I'm also wondering if the "Old Indy" bookend segments that played when the show was broadcast originally (featuring a 90 year old Indy) will show up on one of these box sets. They were kind of cheesy, but it would be nice for completists sake to include them."

I'm with you 100%. I am buying these YIJC DVD's for the show, not for the documentaries. I would even prefer just the show itself, with deleted scenes, the old Indy bookends, etc. and 2-3 documentaries on just the show, and that's it. The extensive historical documentaries on each DVD set are really what is making these sets so expensive, and aren't really required viewing in order to enjoy the show.
    However, for a long time I wasn't sure that this show was EVER coming out on DVD, so I'm glad that it's coming out all all, and am really looking forward to getting all three Volumes.

17. simon_hrdng

Aug 6, 2005
    Anyone else know anything more about the region 2 release dates?

18. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000

Wait, you mean George Lucas is taking something he made years before and re-releasing it just in time to promote a new movie, and on top of all that he's taking out things that a lot of fans liked while adding a bunch of stuff that a lot of fans would be just as happy without? A DVD set where you have no choice but to pay for extra discs just to get the discs with the stuff you DO want to watch *cough*O-OT*cough*?

That doesn't sound like the Lucas I know...

19. IDigMetalBikinis

IDigMetalBikinis Jedi Master star 2

Oct 1, 2003
    FYI-

The History Channel is airing the two hour movie versions of this series Saturdays mornings from 7-9am(that's Pacific time, it may be different in other US time Zones).

So, if you haven't seen the series in a while, and you are wondering if it is worth shelling out the beaucoup bucks that these sets will demand, it's a perfect way to sample the show.

Based on what I've seen so far.........I'm leaning towards rental. But to each his own.

20. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    As a big fan of this show I'm not getting it for three reasons:

1. Two different episodes strung together to make a movie just doesn't work.
    2. Old Indy was awesome and bookended the episodes well.
    3. I'm tired of the freaking revisions from George; first Star Wars, then THX, now this crap. Can't Lucas leave well enough alone?!

21. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    This comes out tomorrow and I still can't find many details on it. The Amazon page has minimal info. What docs are going to be included?

I thought this was supposed to be a big deal, with the added features, but it seems as if it's a meh. What gives?

22. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Just picked up the set today.... FANTASTIC! Great transfers, clean and detailed with vibrant colors, which is fantastic considering the show was shot on 16mm.

Amazing volume of extras. Now bear in mind the documentaries included are geared toward educating kids and getting them interested in history, so they are not exactly super in-depth. But they are well made and will give kids some insight into the episode they just watched. The interactive features on the Bonus Disc are just insane, Lucas really outdid himself... great stuff.

Now just some observations watching the first two movies. WOW I've forgotten how good this show was, even the early episodes starring Corey Carrier. Carrier is a solid child actor and really holds his own against the adults. The shows are well scripted, well directed, and have outstanding production values. Having said that, Young Indy is not going to be everyone's cup of tea... no fistfights with Nazis or mad Indian cultists, no boulder death traps. Nope Young Indy is more of a coming-of-age show about the events of the early 20th Century which shaped OUR lives.

Yes the Old-Indy bookends are gone... frankly I could care less. For those that claim Lucas is again indulging in revisionism of his work I would suggest you look at what was happening to the show back in 1992-93. By the second season ratings were dropping off precipitously, and in an effort to revitalize the show Lucas and ABC presented three episodes as big TV event "movies" on Sunday night. Those episodes were "Young Indiana Jones and the Mystery of the Blues", "Young Indiana Jones and the Scandal of 1920", and "Young Indiana Jones and the Phantom Train of Doom". The third season would have kicked off with yet another two-hour movie, "Young Indiana Jones and the Hollywood Follies" which aired on the Family Channel.

So it's clear Lucas was moving AWAY from 1 hour episodic television, and moving toward the "made for TV movie" format. Ultimately this mish-mash of 1 and 2 hour episodes would make packaging for syndication difficult. So either you cut the 2 hour episodes in half and create new bookends, or you drop the original bookends and put two 1 hour episodes together as a movie. Ultimately I would like to see the Bookends included as a bonus feature on the final disc set, as well as the original opening credits... we'll see.

Just a note on the first disc movie "My First Adventure," which includes the episode "Egypt, May 1908" and the unaired "Tangiers, 1908". Tangiers was actually shot years after the first episode, so Corey Carrier is OBVIOUSLY much older. In fact Lucas shot the sequence which bridges the two episodes in 1997 in Tunisia while shooting TPM. But the Tangiers episode is very good... a pretty frank look at slavery in the Middle East, which gets a little dark toward the end... good stuff.

Anyway, just some initial impressions... I'll post more as I watch more discs.

Yancy

23. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    I really don't care about Lucas' supposed justification for sticking two different episodes together, it just doesn't work and thats why I'm not interested.

24. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    I was hoping that the documentaries would be more in depth, considering that they made a big deal out of taking the time to produce them.

25. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    I pre-ordered my copy last week but didn't realize it would not ship until today. :_| It may be up to a week before I get it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Friday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.