main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Young Indy- Your Opinion (and why)

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Latorski, Sep 1, 2004.

?

Young Indy- Your Opinion (and why)

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. liked all of it

25.6%
  2. only liked The Last Crusade (River Phoenix) stuff

39.5%
  3. only liked the 16 year old (Sean Patrick Flanery) stuff

4.7%
  4. only liked the 10 year old (Cory Carrier) stuff

4.7%
  5. hated all of it

2.3%
  6. never watched any

23.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
  2. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I liked them all.

In fact, it's the best thing Lucas ever produced.

It may not be that well known and popular (it's probably more popular over Europe), but it's of high quality.

While I like Star Wars, Indiana Jones much, I rate Young Indy much higher.

Especially the episodes with Sean P. Flannery rocked. Very enjoyable stories. And Sean is a very great actor(would have been a great Anakin if he was younger, better than Hayden IMO).

Also nice appearances of Ian McDiarmid, Christoper Lee and others.

Really, I was very surprised that the series were that good. Lucas should get more recognition for them. :)

And since I'm from Belgium, it was nice seeing Indy as a part of the Belgian Army. ;) :p

3. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    I didn't like the show or The Last Crusade. Both were boring wastes of time.

4. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I'm too young for the show. I've never seen it.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    five years of windiness!

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I liked all of it. I mean, when I started watching the series I was a kid who loved Indiana Jones and so it was quite enjoyable. In retrospect, yeah, it's a TV series and obviously it could never match up to the films. But it was in the same kind of spirit, a tribute to the old serials, and I think that's pretty cool.

-sj loves kevin spacey

6. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    Sadly i've never seen any of Young Indy :(

Owen ;)

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I liked the flashback in Last Crusade, but the TV show was way too convoluted. I can't equate the rugged guy in the films with the kid who met every famous person on earth during his childhood.

I go into more detail in this thread;

The 'canon' of the life and times of Dr. Indiana Jones

8. gator

gator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
    I pretty much liked all of it. Once I got over how different it was from the movies, I was able to enjoy it for what it was.

9. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    "I can't equate the rugged guy in the films with the kid who met every famous person on earth during his childhood. "
    I know that Lucas wanted to get young people interested in history with "Young Indiana", but I think that having Indy meet just about every famous person alive during World War One was not the way to do it.
    The encounter with Patton in Mexico was clever, though, and I am sure that Lucas was making a in joke about his close friend Francis Coppola with the bit.
    (Coppola won his first Oscar for writing the script for "Patton".)

10. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I once again find myself in agreement with JP.

11. Bobakett

Bobakett Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2001
    I liked all the SPF stuff, i have many fond memories of the show. I thought it was maily let down by Corey Carrier, we didn't need to see Indy at nine. Especially played by someone who didn't resemble SPF or Harrison Ford.

12. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I never seen the young Indy flims but I might go to Hollywood video today and rent some of the Young Indy videos.

13. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    Hands down one of the most ambitious, arty and POSITIVE television shows ever made. The fact that it was a learning experience alone made it worth te watch, but the effects, the characters, the writing and the cute flashbacks (and that one episode with the flash-forwards) made it worthwhile. Loved how Harrison Ford played Indy in the 1960's...and I also loved how Indiana turns into a Forrest Gump like character in the 1990's, badgering poor unassuming people with his endless stories :) Hilarious!

The fact that it had so much going for it pretty much doomed its fate :(

I can't wait for the DVDs.

14. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I like it all but the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles is my favorite. I just adored that show when it was on. It inspired my love of history and geography. I was so mad when when it was cancelled but I was fortunate that I did see all the Family Channel Indy films save for Hollywood Follies.

15. Ulfor-Bombaasa

Ulfor-Bombaasa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 17, 2006
    I really liked the Young Indy TV series which was produced by Rick McCallum. He did some amazing things with a TV budget and the limitations of special effects at that time. I also remember Harrison Ford appearing as Indy in one of the episodes - does anyone remember which episode that was? It was shot about the same time he was working on The Fugitive.

16. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Harrison Ford appeared in Young Indiana Jones and the Mystery of the Blues. He appeared in the bookends of the episode reminesing about his experiences in 1920s Chicago. It was released on video back in 1999 but I haven't seen it since it originally aired.

17. Ulfor-Bombaasa

Ulfor-Bombaasa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 17, 2006
    Thanks for the info. That will be the first one I'll watch when the DVD set eventually is released.

18. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I pretty much just enjoyed the Last Crusade bit with River Phoenix. I felt the TV series was really contrived the way Indy met all those famous people and had connections to just about everything. I would've enjoyed a more "normal" childhood for him. Of course, you need to throw the occasional adventure in there, but nothing like the series portrayed.

19. howardgarbo

howardgarbo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    Bravo, HS 29. That's exactly how I felt towards the show. When watching it I'd always wonder when we'd be done with the history lessons and see Indy go search for artifacts. Not to mention that none of the supporting characters or villains were anywhere as interesting as those in the films. Even Ford's guest appearance was sort of disappointing.

20. JAWA64

JAWA64 Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 20, 2006
    I really liked the Phantom Train or something like that and Hollywood Follies, and I liked how Indy's pilots kept getting shot in the episode with the Red Baron.
    I never did see one with 10 year Indy but I do like how the episodes kind of had two stories within them, like when they had to stop the director from making the movie and then when Indy has to be the stunt double.

21. The_Minority

The_Minority Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2004
    I for one loved the Young Indy tv show. It first aired when I was only a kid and I watched it all the time. I was a huge indiana jones fan, and still am today. Last year I went on a mission to get every single episode ever on dvd. Using various sources I was able to acquire all of the original, unedited tv episodes of young indy. the ones with 90year old indy telling the stories. And then I was also able to acquire all of the Edited Young Indy movies with old Indy edited out. The way the show was filmed was amazing not only did it have amazing effects and epic battle scenes for a tv show it also had a nearly flawless continuity to it. When you watch the edited movies, the Chapters 1 - 22 (which when the movies were released on video they were chapters 23-25), they flow together so flawlessly it's amazing they were filmed out of order. And in my opinion I definetly see the young indy show in continuity, not only was it produced by lucas, it fits in so well with the movies.

And to the poster who said he can't see this kid growing up to be adult indy, we only see him when he's 8 to 20 years old and the movies don't start for another 15 years later. So there is time for indy to be more of the "rugged" character he eventually becomes. But there were a lot of episodes where he learned lessons that would stick with him, like in The phantom train of doom, When he teams up with the old men he asks them what their plan is, and they say they don't have one. Indy replied, "So, you just make it up as you go? Thats good advice." Lol, loved that. And you see indy's love for history and archaeology in the show. And you definetly see the "years of field work" he talked about in temple of doom. I could argue alot of points for why it was so good, and should be in continuity, I actually will probably repost this in the Indy continuity topic that other poster put up. But for now off to bed. Oh, and sorry if that was a bit long winded.

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I've only seen a few episodes, but I hated old Indy with a motal passion. Bad, bad idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.