main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Young Libs back Military Service for Jobless Teens

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Dave_Smogcrawler, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave_Smogcrawler

Dave_Smogcrawler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    Is this the beginning of compulsory military service?

Hey Marv you got any info on this?

2. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

Translation: Young liberals back plan to make human shields/easy targets of anyone who is not a young liberal.

Alternate translation: Young liberals back plan to get revenge on those public school prats who called them nasty names and stole their highschool girlfriend and made them look like an idiot the other day at the beach and they're all just union scum anyway so send them overseas to fight Iraq and we'll never have to worry about them again, MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's a very loose translation, of course...

3. -luigi-

-luigi- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    Is this true?

It's a sad day if it is.

4. sith star

sith star Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2000
    its about bloddy time too there are way to many bludgers in this country who just coast through life and feed of the rest of us if they are put into service they may feel a need to strive for once in thier pathetic no hoping lives insted of sittting around on thier fat butts doing sfa get them out there I say if the die in war all the better at least then we will not have to support them and all their seventh generation welfare scummy mates

sorry this is just what I think :p

5. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

Too right.

I mean, it's only fair that the Liberals are thinking about the unemployed, since the Liberal government is responsible for most of them not having jobs.

And putting everyone in military service - where they can learn the essentials of life (bullying and buggery) - will also do wonders for the Liberals unemployment figures.

6. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Yeah, let's vote Labor back into power. I'm sure a good recession will fix unemployment [face_plain]

7. PowerHungryDude

PowerHungryDude Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 14, 2003
    Dude its not that easy...I have been looking for jobs myself I just couldn't find any. They want people with experience, how the hell am I gonna get experience if they don't give me a job. They also want juniors, I can't exactly reverse time now could I.

8. MisFitToy

MisFitToy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 5, 2003
    i've seen job ads here where I live "15-17 year old, experience essential"

maybe they mean in a former life?

9. run

run Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2000
    What they need is some sort of program, maybe government funded, where kiddies having trouble finding work could go and learn some useful skills in real work environments.

We could call it 'working nation', or something.

oh wait-

10. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    I support this idea all the way. What's that? Don't want to be in the military? Get a job, fool.

11. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    An excellent idea indeed.

12. PowerHungryDude

PowerHungryDude Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 14, 2003
    And how easy is it to get a job? I am still looking for one, dude I apply for at least 30 jobs in one week alone.

13. jediguy

Jun 10, 2000
    Then join the military.

14. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Can we have a link or source as to where you got this information from Dave? It might help clarify some issues (eg. what members of the unemployed are exempt [ie. domestic duties, the disabled, etc.])

15. -luigi-

-luigi- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    I support this idea all the way. What's that? Don't want to be in the military? Get a job, fool.

Are you joking?

16. jediguy

Jun 10, 2000
    Are you joking?

In a way, yes.

17. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    As a voting delegate of the convention where this policy motiuon was proposed, let me clarify a few things here, because the result of that particular debate is obviously unknown to everyone here.

When we started debating this issue, the motion originally stated that school leavers who have not entered the workforce or enrolled at a university within four months of graduation should have compulsory military service.

The motion was then amended to be homeland service only.

However, the motion failed, almost unanimously, with the exception of about 4 delegates. And judging by the general behaviour of people, it was also a very unpopular motion too.

I beleive that this was a rather flawed policy, because school leavers often take up a variety of activities when they graduate, which are not restricted to tertiary education and employment, but may also include travel, work experience, volunteer work, or anything else for that matter.

I do agree with many of you, that school graduates shouldnt just do nothing and live off the system, and would certainly encourage programs to get kids off their asses, but maybe conscription isnt the asnwer quite yet ;)

18. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000
    unemployed teen = sitting on your arse all day smoking pot and watching jerry springer ?

riiiiiight

and young liberal = stuck up apprentice fat cat whose daddy looks after everything and never worked an honest day in their life and doesn't mind exploiting the disadvantaged

got it

stereotyping makes life so much simpler

"The root of all evil is applying generalisations to specific situations." - Epictetus

And vice versa.

Employer: And what experience do you have in the field?
    Jobhunter: Erm, none. I've spent the last ten years in the army...
    Employer: I see. I'm afraid we don't have much need call for firearms in the plumbing industry. Oh, and I see here you had three years of systematic sexual and physical abuse? I'm afraid we're looking for someone with at least four years, sorry. Better luck next time.

19. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    Ozhaggis, whatever you said, what the hell has it to do with this policy motion?

And didn't you read what i said, that the motion was turned down, by about 75 to 5? Or is it the Liberal's fault now, too, that you failed to understand my previous post?

20. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

Actually, it was in response to all the "get all the lazy unemployed teens off their arses" comments throughout this thread.

The young liberals comment, which obviously pushed a few buttons, was an ironic comment on the above stereotyping and generalisations.

If it offended you, all apologies. Anyone who knows me would tell you I don't give a rat's about party politics, so I'm not about to get into an argument about politics, or disparage people for their political persuasion.

I attack issues, not people.

21. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    Well, I'm glad you didnt totally mean it. While your assessment of Young Libs may hold true of some (a minority) it doesnt hold for most of them at all.

But I do think most people here would agree that kids who finish school and dont bother doing anything with their lives are just plain lazy, and oughta do SOMETHING.

22. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

And that was my point: don't generalise based on the minority.

I agree that some unemployed people (not just teens) need a good swift kick somewhere. The system does make it easy for people - if they want to. But saying that ALL of them are lazy dole-bludgers... that's my problem.

Actually, my problem is generalisations. It's one of my pet hates.

23. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    riiiiiiiiiight.

24. JediMasterKieca

JediMasterKieca Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I don't like the idea of people bludging, but somehow I don't see it as morally good to put someone who either cannot get a job or couldn't be bothered getting one into a job which puts their lives outrightly on the line. It's like playing Russian Roulette almost.
    "Yeah, well, you don't have a job. So, you've gotta do this. Yeah, you know. You might get killed and all, who knows? It's not our problem. We don't care"

25. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    Well, if its any consolation, the model that was put forward suggested that they be put into a 'home guard', so they would only have to fight during an invasion of this country. I think if this country was invaded, I would be very surprised if people were NOT willing to fight in such circumstances.

OzHaggis, its a real pity that you have never met enough YLs to make a more accurate assesment of them. And, if I may say so, the fact that you even made such an ill-conceived judgment of the organisation reflects poorly on yourself, I'm sorry to say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.