main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Young Libs back Military Service for Jobless Teens

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Dave_Smogcrawler, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -luigi-

-luigi- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    I'm sick of arguing about Politics and Religion on these forums

I am not a liberal and I am not a theist but some of my best friends are, can't we all just get along?

2. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000
    Marvin: Where exactly did I describe the liberals or any other political party? As I said (quite a few times) my description of the young liberals was intentionally ridiculous, to highlight the stupidty of generalising, and was not meant to describe them. And my other comments were directed at comments, not at any particular person or group. You seem to have missed the point entirely.

But I have to agree with luigi (again): i could not care less about party politics or religion or any of the other "serious" topics that are currently doing the rounds on FF.

I didn't join these forums for "My party is better than your party" and "My religion is better than your religion," ad nauseam.

If that is how you want to spend your time, I'm happy for you. But it's not how I want to spend mine. And other people feel the same. These forums are getting too serious and too political, and it's starting to drive people away.

So my contribution to this and any other political thread ends here.

3. PowerHungryDude

PowerHungryDude Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 14, 2003
    Hang on I did not create this thread so there would be bickering...I created this thread so we could have a lil discussion not personal attacks.

4. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Sorry OZHaggis, I didnt realise at the time that it was a joke, I obviously had my sense of humour banished at the very moment I read your posts, and had it returned to me as soon as I finished.

But if you are going to attack YL, just dont expect me to remain silent.

And to the others, I'm sorry I had to make such a big deal about this, but I felt that I had to clarify points that had been senationalised by the media.

5. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    Well, I'm glad we've sorted out all of that...Just remember guys - points, not people. And don't attack. You're allowed your opinion, but not at the expense of someone elses. :)

6. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Ozhaggis :Employer: And what experience do you have in the field?
    Jobhunter: Erm, none. I've spent the last ten years in the army...
    Employer: I see. I'm afraid we don't have much need call for firearms in the plumbing industry.

AND
    Actually, my problem is generalisations. It's one of my pet hates.
    I could make a comment about the pot calling the kettle black, but instead I'll just point out that Infantry is only ONE of MANY corps in the Army. I did a swag of stuff within transport supporting other corps that had sweet FA to do with firearms.

7. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    All hail Grizzly :D

8. -luigi-

Jul 26, 2002
    Ozhaggis :Employer: And what experience do you have in the field?
    Jobhunter: Erm, none. I've spent the last ten years in the army...
    Employer: I see. I'm afraid we don't have much need call for firearms in the plumbing industry.

This is what we call a "joke"

9. PowerHungryDude

Jan 14, 2003
    Actually I agree with the "Homeguard" as Marvin mentioned. However with the recent fire disaster wouldn't it make much more sense to get those out of work to train in firefighting, SES, First Aid, Policing. So not only do they learn leadership skills they also know what to do in an emergency situation and take the right course of action.

10. -luigi-

Jul 26, 2002
    What about a new program to help and train people to get a job? (I know such programs already exist but there's alot of room for improvement)

I don't believe the government has a right to put people's lives at risk just because they're unemployed.

11. PowerHungryDude

Jan 14, 2003
    Thats true too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.