main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your best Celebration experience?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by pwinklespi, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pwinklespi

pwinklespi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 30, 2004
    Sounds stupid, but the hot tub and indoor pool at the hotel were great. There was a little corner bar near my hotel that had the best ribs I have ever eaten, but my favorite experience was walking into the building on day 2 in full jedi costume and not having anyone look at me weird. Having people say "Cool duds bro!" or "Nice saber." Just being accepted as a fan and not having to answer any questions about why am I dressed.

2. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006
    Oh my best... umm... er... seeing Lucas was cool but I didn't learn anything new there. Hearing Matt Stover talking his book was kinda neat. Umm... meeting Peter Mayhew and Ray Park... oh crap... what to pick? I think my best experience followed my worst. After being sick as a dog all day Friday and unable to keep even water down, my best experience was finally getting room service that night. Two scoops of ice cream and a small bottle of Coke for $17.00 and I enjoyed it immensly. As far as the actual convention... I'd have to say at the time it was the Rick McCallum experience. Seeing unseen before footage was exciting.

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Meeting people - of everything I loved about C-3, putting a person to the screen name was the very best. The offical stuff was great, but getting sloshed with Rhoo and Trace and embarassing the snot out of ourselves in front of Dave Prouse was priceless [face_laugh]

4. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    C2 & C3 Fan Parties were the best experiences for me.

5. Admiral_Ozzel

Admiral_Ozzel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    I waited in line for about 3 hours to get in to the store, when someone came and told us we can either wait for at least another 6, or go straight in and see George Lucas, well I saw George. The next day after about 30 min in line for the store, another person told us they need volunteers to work the store, and since it was the final day, that would be the only way we would get in there. So I filled a few bags with Vader figures, and worked the line for a few hours. I got a lady in line to get my figures for me, I got a free CIII volunteer t-shirt, and all it cost me was hanging out (indoors) with fellow geeks for about 4 hours. Those were my best moments.:cool:

6. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Having our engagement party on Thursday with all our friends from all over (about 30 people). And for C4, we celebrate our 1 year anniversary! It's the con of loooooooove [face_love], well at least for Will and I it was :p.

7. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    My boyfriend is going to kill me for posting both my best and worst experiences...

I volunteered for OfficialPix and had a shift on the last day being the guest assistant for Jerome Blake. He was absolutely hilarious!! So much fun and I got back at my not-yet-boyfriend because he was a bit jealous...[face_devil]

8. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Waiting in the freezing rain, and then in a smaller room to see Lucas. It was a blast meeting new friends and seeing the awesome costumes. Then we were led upstairs to the first show. I'll never forget the chills I got when Lucas' kids introduced their father.

Also, seeing all the actors was great. I had just the best chat with Tem Morrison who told me that ROTS was cool, and how he liked seeing 100,000 of himself as Clones in the movie.

Nick Gilliard passed inches away from me in the crowded skyway on Saturday morning. I immediatly recognized him and smiled at him. He smiled at me back.

9. MarsSky

MarsSky Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2005
    Seeing A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi on the big screen again.
    It was SO much fun to watch them with hard core fans, with everyone cheering after just about every line!
    The free popcorn was a nice touch, too.
    Nothing beats the big screen! I'm assuming they will be showing all the films at Celebration IV, and I can't wait!

10. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    I didn't get to go to CIII and I was only at CII for one day. At the time I could only afford to take one day off work. So I drove 8 hours to Indy on Friday so that I could see the concert on Saturday night and I drove 8 hours home on Sunday. When I got to the convention the first thing I did was get in line for the concert tickets. That was half the day. The other half of the day was spent in line for the store. When I finally got to a register I found out that most of the stuff I wanted was sold out and I had to order it for delivery 8-12 weeks later.

While most of that was decidedly negative, it was all redeemed by a nice lady in line behind us at the store. She heard me complaining to my wife about basically waiting in line all day just to spend more money. She had some extra tickets to one of the shows (can't remember what it was other than Hayden, Anthony Daniels, Ben Burt, and Nick Gillard were there.) It was a great show and I will always remember that. The day continued to get better when I went to the concert and ended up sitting directly in the center.

I know CIV will have lines that are just as bad if not worse, but I think I will get to see what want by going for all 5 days. At the very least it won't bother me as much because I know that I will get to see a lot more than I did at CII.

11. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004
    I don't know why, but I am optimistic about the lines for CIV. I really am. Call me crazy. ****awaits the screams of 100 people calling him crazy**********

12. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006

I think your certifiable but it has nothing to do with your position on the lines! =) I think they'll be bad, better then CIII, but still bad. I'm one of those few people who think we're going to get as many if not more people at CIV then what we had in Indy. I'm not worried though. Now I know what to expect I'll pack munchies, comfortable shoes, and hopefully get to hang out with some of you in the lines. I'll bring a deck of cards this time, that's for sure.

13. sithlard

sithlard Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2004
    Being interviewed by Lucasfilm and appearing in the web doc "The Journey" was my best experience. Out of tons of people they probably interviewed, I got picked!

But realistically, the entire Celebration experience was the best. Everything from the hotel, to all the conversations I had with fellow SW fans, to meeting/see SW celebs, to watching TPM with SW fans (how many times can one say that they still watch it with people who actually like it?), to the Rick McCallum spectacular, to waiting in line to see George Lucas, and even observing (as an outsider) the madness that was the CIII Store (although I would never want it to be run that way again!). Everything was awesome.

14. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004
    I don't know why, but I am optimistic about the lines for CIV. I really am. Call me crazy. ****awaits the screams of 100 people calling him crazy**********[/quote]

I think your certifiable but it has nothing to do with your position on the lines! =) I think they'll be bad, better then CIII, but still bad. I'm one of those few people who think we're going to get as many if not more people at CIV then what we had in Indy. I'm not worried though. Now I know what to expect I'll pack munchies, comfortable shoes, and hopefully get to hang out with some of you in the lines. I'll bring a deck of cards this time, that's for sure.
    [/quote]

I am certifiable, you are correct in your assesment Grumpy. I look at it this way though - there will be lines, but the first day is for fan club members. I am! So the first day will be thousands of people, but I think it will a little easier. The store is open 24 hours. They already said they will have more check outs and more lines. So, those are the reasons I am optimistic. As far as Q&A's and stuff like that, yeah, there wull be long lines....but I think Gen Con will be able to do a little tiny bit better.........we hope and pray.

15. SSDExecutor

SSDExecutor Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    So many good things happened (compared to my one bad thing) - seeing Lucas in the first show, the Fan Parties, the Rick McCallum experience (I saw it 3 times), the lines (yeah - even though that's a part of my worst experience) and meeting people while in them, and being in a place where being a Star Wars fanatic was the norm instead of the unusual was great!

16. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    Rick's Spectacular and touching Nick G's buff arm - plus both of them project an attitude that says they like being around Star Wars fans....very warm and gracious peeps.

and I laughed so hard at "Star Wars in 30 Minutes" I went back for a 2nd helping.

and even though I shared it with thousands of others, just to be in the same room as George was huge to me.

and there's nothing like being surrounded by Star Wars - the fans, the stories, the costumes, the prospects....I beg to differ with Disney - it's the happiest place on earth.

17. Tony-WanKenobiNC

Tony-WanKenobiNC Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    When my friend and I gave up on seeing Lucas and decided to just get some shut-eye and eat a good breakfast to then arrive at the door and be asked if we wanted to see Lucas....that was awesome! Then seeing Rick's show a few times (THE MAN IS FREAKING AWESOME!). Seeing the SW in 30 minutes and the one man SW Trilogy. Pass me a Yodameister brew so I can feel the Force kickin'. There it is!

18. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    For me the whole thing was just so awesome... it was so much to take in that I still haven't woken up and understood that I actually was there! Not only was it my first Celebration, it was my first real con ever (the ones in Sweden don't deserve to be called conventions), my first time in the US and the first time I met a lot of cool people I'd only talked to on the net.

The funniest part was probably the days before the con, when we were four Swedish girls running around Indy trying to buy as much SW stuff as we could... it was totally crazy. ;)

19. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    My best bit of CIII is also a bit strange, but I would have to say the best bit is now. Reminiscing about the whole thing and experience is what puts a smile on my face....even standing in the lines for hours in the cold and wet seemed fun :D

20. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Meeting every one, being sociable, all the fantastic costuming giving me costuming envy syndrome.

21. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Well I loved meeting all the people from the boards!!! I think two of my favourite things were the bowling tournament between the FF and JC staff, and bumping in and chatting with Aaron Allston three times in less than 24 hours. He gave me my best autograph ever. The thing is he was at jed-con in Germany the year before, and then I got my copy of Starfighters of Adumar signed. That book got stolen though so I bought another copy with me to Indianapolis. At the FF/RL/501st party I met him and told the story about the stolen book, and then he told me to come with the new copy the day after. Anyway I did so and he opened up the first page and wrote "thieves do not steal this book!!" all over the page and signed it for me.

22. Tony-WanKenobiNC

Tony-WanKenobiNC Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    Now that is cool!

23. Leia214

Leia214 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    Bonding with people while standing in line!

I met up with some people that I 'kind of' knew from my area and by the end of the weekend, we were great friends.

I see them all the time now and we are all planning on attending CIV together. The lines, the weather, the expense - all worth it!!!

24. Darth_Tofu

Darth_Tofu Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    the people. that's what it's all about, no matter how much everything else may rock, or suck. that's why we all go.

also, i gotta say, having people think it's cool that you like star wars was really nice :)

25. miarama

miarama Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2006
    My best Celebration experience was being able to spend some "geek" time with family and friends. Because our lives have changed a little in the past few years, we don't get together as much anymore. Some of us have college, most have a full-time job & a family to raise, some have found new friends. But at Celebration III we came together as our "old" selves and had a great time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.