main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Your Bestest Friend (one-shot; L/M/Solo kids/etc.)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi-2B, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    This was written for the 'friendship' challenge at the SJRS. Takes place shortly after The Corellian Trilogy. Thanks heaps to Gabri_Jade for betaing this for me. :D

Disclaimer: All things SW belong to G. Lucas. 'Nuff said.

**Since this story was truncated in the boards' move, you can read it in its entirety at ff.n, here:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4843847/1/Your-Bestest-Friend

YOUR BESTEST FRIEND

"Mom, can we ask you a question?"

Leia looked up from her document-strewn desk to see her two firstborn offspring fidgeting in the doorway to her office. "What is it, sweethearts?"

"Who's your bestest friend?" Jaina said.

"Best friend," Leia automatically corrected.

"Best friend," Jaina repeated, swatting at Jacen as he nudged her further into the room.

"Our homework today is to do a report on best friends," Jacen explained.

"I see." Leia smiled, motioning the pair closer. "Well, I guess it would be your father."

"No!" both twins cried, causing Leia to frown in surprise.

"It's gotta be somebody you're not related to," Jaina said.

"So you can't say Uncle Luke, either," Jacen put in. "We weren't even allowed to put each other."

"Yeah," Jaina continued. "Teacher says it's okay to have relatives for best friends, but it's important to have friends besides our own family, too. So she says to try to list the person that's your best friend not just 'cause they're your relative."

Leia made an exaggerated pretense of giving the matter deep consideration. "Well, in that case, I guess it would be Winter."

"Yeah," Jaina said with obvious relief, punching the name into the small datapad she was clutching.

"C'mon, let's go ask Dad," Jacen said, already heading for the doorway.

"Thanks, Mom," Jaina added, following her brother.

"You have to ask?" Han laughed at the young faces before him. "If it's not your mother, then it's?"

"C-h-e-w-i-e," Jaina spelled out loud as she entered the name.

"You'd better put 'Chewbacca,' to make it all official-like," Han directed, eliciting a loud sigh from Jaina as she hit 'delete' and started over.

"Who should we ask next?" Jacen said, looking expectantly at his sister.

"Well, you could go ask Chewie," Han suggested. "He's workin' on the Falcon. And I wanna know if the furball doesn't answer me."

"Okay, Dad." Jaina waved her good-bye and headed for the palace docking bay.

"Awrahgah!" Chewbacca waved his hydrospanner in the air.

"That means Dad," Jacen said to his sister.

"I know," Jaina replied with a hint of exasperation as she punched in the Wookiee's answer.

Chewie's shaggy head nodded vigorously, confirming the twins' conjecture.

"Hey, Chewie, is Uncle Luke down here?" Jaina asked. "We need more people to ask."

Chewbacca gestured toward the other end of the enormous bay, and the two investigators took off running. Jaina skidded to a halt, though, halfway across the bay, dragging Jacen with her. "Hey, look, Jace! Isn't that the Jade's Fire?" Without waiting for an answer, Jaina shifted direction and headed for the gleaming ship.

"Wow," Jaina breathed, staring up at the tongues of fire painted on the vessel's hull. She jumped a half meter when a cold voice sounded from the open hatch.

"What are you two doing down here all by yourselves?" Mara glanced around the perimeter, certain she would see Solo nosing around her ship.

"We're doin' a report," Jacen answered, his youthful eyes fixated more on Mara than on the Fire.

"On my ship?" Mara said, her forehead creasing in a frown. She'd met the Solo twins and their younger brother during the recent incident at Corellia, and they'd seemed intelligent enough, as children went.

"No, on friends," Jaina said, shaking herself out of her stupor. She glanced at Jacen, and he nodded in encouragement. "Miss Jade, who's your best friend?"

Even with her years of undercover training, Mara couldn't completely mask her surprise. That was the last question she'd been expecting. "I don't have any friends," she replied as she walked down the

2. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    Phenomenal! This story is so good. I love it. I'm gonna have to read it again.

3. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    "Is there any deserted planet in particular that you'd like to be stranded on with me?"

Not even Jedi-enhanced speed could save Luke from the water bottle that came flying his direction.

L M F A O

THATS FUNNY!

Melikes.

4. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Great job :D

5. tenelfan14

tenelfan14 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2003
    "Yeah, guess I do. Oh, by the way." Luke paused at the edge of the doorway. His blue eyes held a teasing glint, which in Mara's experience could only mean trouble. "I was just wondering," he whispered in a conspiratorial tone. "Is there any deserted planet in particular that you'd like to be stranded on with me?"

Not even Jedi-enhanced speed could save Luke from the water bottle that came flying his direction

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROTFLOL!!!!

Okay, Jacen and Jaina are smart little devils, especiallly that Mara thought of Luke because she looked in the direction of the ship.

Awesome story!!

6. starsailor721

starsailor721 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2004
    That was so cute!!! If I quoted all the parts I really liked I'd end up quoting almost the whole thing. Great Job :D

7. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    OMG! That was too cute for words! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I loved it [face_love]

::Windstar Out::

8. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    LOL! This was so funny!!

Great job :)

9. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    That was a wonderful little story, Jedi-2B! It was funny, sweet and touching! :D :D :D Everytime I read a little viggie about the Solo kids, it makes me wonder why the pro-writers couldn't have come up with ways to make the children part of their own family. It can be done.... LOTS of fanfic authors get it right! Thanks for the smile. :)

10. LumiKuningatar

LumiKuningatar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2003
    *bursts into uncontrollable laughter*

11. bladex2

bladex2 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    LOL! Nice :D

12. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I love it, Michele!

:)

You know, before I met you, I would read everything I could get my hands on that you'd written, and then when I read it all, I was not a happy camper. I'm so glad you do the SJRS challenges. ;)

13. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Awesome! :D I could so see all of this happening! [face_laugh] Those Solo kids just stir up trouble. :p

"Is there any deserted planet in particular that you'd like to be stranded on with me?"
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] I knew he was going to say something along those lines!

Great job! :D

14. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    "Yeah, guess I do. Oh, by the way." Luke paused at the edge of the doorway. His blue eyes held a teasing glint, which in Mara's experience could only mean trouble. "I was just wondering," he whispered in a conspiratorial tone. "Is there any deserted planet in particular that you'd like to be stranded on with me?"

Not even Jedi-enhanced speed could save Luke from the water bottle that came flying his direction.

Like so many others, this was my favorite passage. I can SO see this happening. What a wonderful story! Truly incredible, just very, very enjoyable. Wonderful work, great job, you get the picture!

15. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    "Just put down Uncle Luke as her best friend," Jacen instructed his sister.

"Hold on!" Mara grabbed the shoulders of the pair and whirled them to face her. "What makes you think he's my friend?"

"'Cause you were looking down to where his X-wing is for every question," Jacen replied, giving Mara a Han Solo-esque lopsided grin. He turned to follow Jaina as she started across the bay.

Kids are just so darn honest! I loved this, it was so realistic and SO Mara and Luke. They are adorable! Loved it, loved it, loved it!

16. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    I loved this fic. It was very cute and funny. :)

I loved how the kids figured out Luke was Mara's best friend. :D

I enjoy a good Luke and Mara fic, though I must confess I don't come over to this board very often. I am glad I didn't miss this one!

Wonderful story! :)

~ Jedikma :)

17. Jedi_Scooch

Jedi_Scooch Jedi Master star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    Jedi-2B, that was so cute! Has got to be my favorite L/M short fic ever. Thanks for the great post.

18. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Hehe, I loved this.

Jacen was so cute. Telling Mara she was looking at Luke's X-Wing :p

[face_laugh] :p I loved that part.

19. Fels_Hammer

Fels_Hammer Jedi Master

Apr 11, 2004
    Very nice :)

20. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    My goodness, so many replies! :D

TheCrazyRodian: Thanks! Feel free to reread all you want. It's short. ;)

Wes_Janson: That last scene seems to be the crowd favorite, doesn't it? :)

RebelMom: Thanks! :D

tenelfan14: J & J must take after their old man.

starsailor721: Glad you liked it!

Bri_Windstar: Thanks!

LaYa: Thanks to you, too!

GreatOne: I cringe reading the Super Solo Kids in the profics. I hope Ben doesn't get portrayed the same way.

LumiKuningatar: Glad to make you laugh. [face_laugh]

bladex2: Thanks!

EmilieDarklighter: You know, before I met you, I would read everything I could get my hands on that you'd written, and then when I read it all, I was not a happy camper. -- I hope that means you weren't happy because you'd run out of things to read. [face_laugh]

I'm so glad you do the SJRS challenges.

It's a lonely job, but somebody's gotta do it. ;)

Jaina_and_Jag: Those Solo kids just stir up trouble. -- But isn't it fun to watch 'em do it?

VaderLVR64: Thanks! Though this was nowhere on the same level as your great vignettes. :)

AnakinsHeir: Kids are just so darn honest! -- LOL! Yes, they are.

Jedikma: I enjoy a good Luke and Mara fic, though I must confess I don't come over to this board very often. -- You'll have to visit the Beyond board more often. There are some great stories here, much better than mine.

Jedi_Scooch: Thanks!

J_M_Bulldog: Glad you liked it!

Fels_Hammer: Thanks!

21. MamaShmi

MamaShmi Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2004
    This had me rolling on the floor, laughing my...well you get the picture! Luke and Mara reminded me of two kids in junior high. Go ask Luke if he likes me. He does? Well maybe I don't like him? Hey, go ask Mara if she likes me! Check this box on this note if you like me. They were too cute for words, so much in character. Great job!

22. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    "Ah, Mara, what's a few secrets between friends?"

That did it. Mara narrowed her eyes suspiciously at him. This can't be a coincidence. Blast those Solo brats!

"Don't you have someplace to be?" she said, wanting him gone, and yet disappointed when he rose to leave.

I loved this bit. Very funny and very cool. :) Just the motivation I need to kick-start my assignment.

Kithera

23. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    "You'd better put 'Chewbacca,' to make it all official-like," Han directed, eliciting a loud sigh from Jaina as she hit 'delete' and started over.

I just love Han here, and Jaina is definitely her father's daughter, with the showy exasperation. :p

"We're doin' a report," Jacen answered, his youthful eyes fixated more on Mara than on the Fire.

Isn't Jacen cute? :p

"Okay." Jaina busied herself scanning through files on her datapad, while Mara congratulated herself on demonstrating enough patience not to send the brats scattering.

Love this part. That is so Mara. :D

Shaking her head, Mara snatched the pad out of the girl's hand and read it aloud. "Whose opinion do you value above all others?" A name immediately popped into Mara's head, and she squelched the impulse to blurt it out. "I value only my own opinion," she said instead.

Both twins frowned in disbelief.

"Read the next one," Jaina said.

That cracks me up. [face_laugh] Mara's adorable, trying to ignore what she's really thinking, and I just love the twins' reaction. So matter of fact. :p

The quality of teachers must have plummeted from the strict tutors she'd had growing up in the palace.

That's our Mara. [face_laugh]

"Just put down Uncle Luke as her best friend," Jacen instructed his sister.

"Hold on!" Mara grabbed the shoulders of the pair and whirled them to face her. "What makes you think he's my friend?"

"'Cause you were looking down to where his X-wing is for every question," Jacen replied, giving Mara a Han Solo-esque lopsided grin. He turned to follow Jaina as she started across the bay.

That's just a thing of beauty. Has Jacen ever got her cornered. [face_laugh]

Luke grinned, making himself comfortable on the floor and motioning for the twins to join him. "Who did she say was her best friend?"

He's a little sure of himself, isn't he? :p

Late that same afternoon, Mara looked up from the data terminal on the Fire and glared at her uninvited visitor ? the same visitor who hadn't strayed far from her thoughts ever since Jaina and Jacen had dutifully reported their latest homework assignment finding.

[face_love]

"But I am planning on checking the calibrations on the power flux connectors tomorrow morning. If you're going to be around, you could give me a hand," Mara said evenly. Never mind that she could do that particular chore blindfolded. Maybe he could hand her tools or something. If he behaved himself.

LOL!

"Don't you have someplace to be?" she said, wanting him gone, and yet disappointed when he rose to leave.

Now that's the most telling part of all. :D

"I was just wondering," he whispered in a conspiratorial tone. "Is there any deserted planet in particular that you'd like to be stranded on with me?"

Everyone else is right. This part's great. :p :D

24. Stormtrooper_Shrink

Stormtrooper_Shrink Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    LOL! Such a cute little vignette! I love the Solo kids - their "naivete" gives such brilliant ideas all and sundry - especially you, it seems!

If only the Solo kids had been given this assignment in the profic, how easily could things have been unraveled... *sigh*

Absolutely marvelous!

25. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    LOL, yes, I meant I was unhappy there wasn't more. The SJRS challenges are really just a ploy to get you to write more. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.