main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Your father wanted you to have this when you were ready"

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by David_Skywalker, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David_Skywalker

David_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2005
    I don't remember Anakin telling Obi-Wan to give Luke his lightsaber.

2. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

that's 'cause he didn't

3. GeneralJack

GeneralJack Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 28, 2005
    He didn't, but Obi-wan is just helping Luke get on the Jedi path

4. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    That's Obi-Wan being Obi-Wan. Saying to Luke what Luke NEEDS to hear to get pushed down the path to being a Jedi.

5. Darth_Kirsch

Darth_Kirsch Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2005
    Wow....how many times have I seen this question asked???

What do you think Obi-Wan would say..."Yea your father turned to evil and I severely injured him and watched him burn alive on a bank before grabbing his lightsaber."

6. JMRycheBa-Gai

JMRycheBa-Gai Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2004
    It was a lie. OWK probably didn't want to destroy the thought of Anakin in Luke's mind until he was mature enough to handle it.

7. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Obi-Wan has a habit of speaking in riddles and all the from a certain point of view stuff...I assume he meant: "Your father (would have) wanted you to have this when you were old enough..."

8. Robert-of-the-Sith

Robert-of-the-Sith Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Obi-wan also told Luke his father was killed by Vader. He did a lot of lying to get him on the path of a Jedi.

9. Binks29

Binks29 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    If Ben would have told Luke that you father say's he hates you, it would have been based in more reality.

I give GL a pass on this one. I think Ben is carrying a lot of guilt over Anakin. He wants Luke to have a good memory feeling of his father. It's much better than saying after I severed your pops legs he was lit on fire. As I left him in agony I picked it up, but since the people your father once slaughtered attacked you, what the heck, here ya go.

10. darth_flanderz

darth_flanderz Jedi Master

May 19, 2005
    LOL ... Darth Kirsch

11. TheCleverOne

TheCleverOne Jedi Youngling

Sep 19, 2004
    Or he might of just assumed that Anakin would have wanted Luke to have it. I mean according to Obi-Wan's point of view Anakin died a while before the battle on Mustafar.

Then again it could have just been a ploy for Obi-Wan to have a reason to make contact with Luke.. he then would have asked what a lightsaber was.. then would have learned about the Force.. etc..

12. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Here is your dad's lightsaber I picked up after I chopped off both of his legs. I guess thats what he should of said so there is no what are these called doh holes.

13. Tedakin

Tedakin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2002
    Darth vader also didn't kill Luke's father. Obi-Wan lied to Luke.

14. Hutt_Slut

Hutt_Slut Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2004
    Dice up your best friend, take his son and then live like a hermit for nearly 20 years and see how good your memory is. lol

Seriously though, he could have either just been telling Luke that to get him to take up the good fight or he could have actually convinced himself of it over the years...

In reality, at that time I'm not sure Vader was Luke's father. It's hard to tell, especially when Obi Wan has that "oh sh!t" look on his face when Luke asks how he died.

15. DarthJason18

DarthJason18 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005

Obi-Wan could have just decided that Anakin WOULD HAVE wanted his son to follow in his footsteps. Because, remember, the last time Anakin saw Obi, he wasn't Akakin at all...he was Vader... The real Anakin had been "murdered by Vader" as Obi also says in A New Hope. Speaking in a figurative sense of course.

Not everything has to be spelled out or come full circle.... take when Obi-Wan says "I don't remember owning a droid" when he's introduced to R2-D2 and 3PO in Episode IV...clearly, that's a little hard to believe. You just gotta let some stuff slide guys. It'd be damn near impossible to tie up EVERY loose end between the films.

16. Jedi-Krell

Jedi-Krell Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    At times we all "Mince Words" to protect feelings or influence judgement. I'm sure that OWK was simply conveying to Luke what he thought would be the best "story" of his father's life. After all most 19-year olds are still quite immature when dealing with the true facts of life. As to Darth Vader "murdering" Anakin, this is a very acceptable term to use. After all, Anakin did turn his back on everything he was taught by the Jedi order, which was ALL he had known from the age of nine. How many of us can truly link our knowledge of right and wrong, good and bad back to when we were children? OWK, being the true Jedi Master that he was, knew he had better get Luke started on the path of the Lightside in order to restore the "balance" to the FORCE. I feel that OWK is truly the greatest Jedi sinply because of his ability to see the potential in Luke to defeat the Emperor. As to OWK not "remembering ever owning a droid", he didn't "own" R2-D2 or C3PO, he simply knew of their existence. In fact Jedis don't "own" anything, I consider them to be like present day monks, giving up all posessions for the service of The Master. His droid was R4-D5 I believe, so he wasn't lying about that either. In a perfect Star Wars Universe, Anakin would have wanted his son to carry on the tradition of the Jedi Knights, but his judgement got derailed by the outside influences of the Darkside. OWK simply carried out the wishes of what he thought Anakin would want had he not been under the influence of the Darkside. This is a great parallel to how some of our lives play out, we all want what's best, but we often are swayed by by our circumstances. Then someone of a more clear thinking mind comes into our lives and gets us back on the right track. GL uses a huge dose of spirituality in this saga, so that whatever your beliefs are, it does touch you in some way. It is all human nature to do good, but we are EASILY turned from it.

17. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    You are going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view...

18. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    Well Obi Wan did tell Luke that Vader killed Anakin. So its not like Obi Wan was the most honest person in that scene.

19. EvilEwok62

EvilEwok62 Jedi Youngling

Mar 4, 2005
    The way I see it. In a way Vader did kill Anakin.

But that is just the way I see it.

20. Sanjiro

Sanjiro Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2001
    what did you want anakin to say?

"I want my son to have this lightsaber... that is if i had a son... if we were allowed to. Padme is NOT pregnant."

21. RaptorRage

RaptorRage Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    "After I cut off your father's legs and arm and let him slip to the edge of a lava flow and catch on fire, he asked me to give this to you when you were old enough, but my brother Owen wouldn't allow it."

22. padawan-yoda

padawan-yoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    I dont think it would have helped if obi said I cut off your fathers limbs and took his saber

and if they had anakin actually say that he wanted his son to have it it would be a HUGE continuity problem

23. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Obi-Wan learned to lie from Qui-Gonn, who was a master. Examples...

"I've aquired my own racing pod in a game of chance"

"I'm just taking a blood sample to check for infection"

24. SuperJediStyle

SuperJediStyle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2003
    Luke was always curious about his dad. Obi-Wan needed to describe Anakin as a good man...and a good Jedi to get Luke on the right path. Somehow I think telling Luke that Anakin had become trash and that he tried to kill him and just took the lightsaber might not have been as effective.

25. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Simple. Obi Wan made that up. He told Luke a lot of things, some of which were flatly untrue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.