main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Your Favorite Era in the EU?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Chancellor Yoda, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    The New Republic era, by far. The infinite possibility once totalitarianism is defeated, and the constant risk of its return appeals to me on a personal level. That's the heart and soul of the franchise to me.
    It got to take the characters, factions and settings we saw in the films and go deeper. What does the Hero do after he defeats the Bad Guy? What are the Imperials without Palpatine pulling their strings?
    Inherently fertile ground for storytelling, I believe.

2. Darth_BDO

Darth_BDO Jedi Padawan

Jan 15, 2015
    I LOVE the Old Republic time period all the way up to TPM. I just love seeing all the stuff that happened that set up the movies. I would say I like Bane to Sidious time frame the most because that is when the Sith were really Sith in their true form. Not just physically powerful but smart and manipulative and plotting. Its amazing what they were able to accomplish without anyone even knowing. I just read those books going "Holy cow this guy is an evil genius!" Love it.

3. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    I've been giving this a bit more thought, and I think the Dark Times era is solidly my favorite. I like how it breaches the gap between the two Saga films while at the same time giving us entirely new stories (unlike, say, TCW or Shadows of the Empire, which, while wonderful, are filling in smaller gaps). There's very little material from this era that I don't like: the Dark Times comics, Rebels (A New Dawn and especially Jason Fry's spinoff novels Servants of the Empire!), TFU (not the sequel...), assorted "Darth Vader is awesome" comics, Kenobi, Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, Lords of the Sith, Tarkin, the Evasive Action web comic, the old Droids cartoon, and the young Han Solo books...it's all so great!

Chancellor Yoda, spicer and Iron_lord like this.
  4. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    One little era I wish was explored more was the events in between TPM and AOTC. One of my favorite EU works (Bounty Hunter) takes place here too.

5. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Star Wars: Knight Of The Old Republic is my fav star wars experience, I like it more than the films and the books so I am a huge fan of the old republic. I love that it moves away from characters we have seen sooooooooooooooooooo much of it. I love Han and Anakin and Yoda etc etc but it is really refreshing to get away from them.

6. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    Def the Rise of the Empire era. From Kaans brotherhood getting destroyed to Sidious ruling with an iron fist. That thousand of years is such a interesting time. Loved (almost)every novel from that period and would like more on the complacency of the Jedi and the rise of the Sith.

ArtSchmo likes this.
  7. Huttslime

Huttslime Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 1, 2015
    Pre TPM material in particular some of the stuff like the Plagueis novel, the Yinchorri crisis, the tales of Qui Gon/Obi Wan's adventures, Ki Adi Mundi's story, and some of Maul's adventures were interesting.

The post Vong material like Caedus's rise and fall, Swarm wars, and Darth Krayt's empire was interesting to me. The Tales of the Jedi era and Dark times material is interesting as well.

8. The Wampa Lover

The Wampa Lover Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 6, 2014
    My favorite is no doubt the New Republic era, as that has my favorite piece of EU: The Thrawn Trilogy.

xezene and Iron_lord like this.
  9. DeanVantis

DeanVantis Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 30, 2015
    The New Republic Era, of course. It was what kept the Star Wars franchise alive for a time, and after we fell in love with it, Disney decides to scrap it. [face_dunno]

xezene likes this.
  10. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    The preprequel eu, especially the Thrawn Trilogy, TOTJ, Dark Empire and a few Bantam Novels.

11. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    The Clone Wars Era, BUT ONLY THE MULTIMEDIA PROJECT VERSION. Don't want nothing more to do with TCW.

And I totally dig the post-ROTJ Era. Mainly because of The Jedi Knight Games.

12. RainSolo

RainSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2015
    The Old Republic for me. KotOR introduced me to the time period and got me instantly hooked, I adore the EU of that time period, and the archaic feel it has to it!

13. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    My favorite is the post ROTJ GCW era. The stories often feel like the OT while carrying the story forward. It's an exciting era with the birth of the NR and the ever present possibility of the Empire being reunified and launching a new campaing against the New Republic. This era feels both new and familiar, which makes for fun stories.

I also like prequel era novels. While the prequels aren't good, they allowed for some really good stories. In this era we can watch things slowly fall apart for the galaxy and watch the beginnings of the Empire. Palpatine is an exciting character because we get an in depth view of his plans and strategies. It really demonstrates why he's such a terrifying villain.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. DarthKuriboh

DarthKuriboh Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2007
    The Clone Wars era. LOTS of really awesome stories came out of there, like the Republic Commando series.

Chancellor Yoda and Erkan12 like this.
  15. Sotty

Sotty Jedi Youngling

Aug 22, 2015
    For sure the Old Republic Era. You have characters like Malgus who, are not just a traditional antogonist....he border lines an anti-hero as he truly believes in his cause. Much like Bane, he believes in what he's doing not only for personal gain but for the furthering and endurance of his order and its Empire. The fun part is he's not only a juggernaut he has the speed to back it up. The conflict he feels towards his slave adds to his almost Conan-esque melancholy. Could you imagine the depth of a movie from this Era....

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Jo B1 Kenobi likes this.
  16. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    KOTOR era.

Jo B1 Kenobi likes this.
  17. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    Old Republic era, specifically jedi civil war-new sith wars.

Jo B1 Kenobi likes this.
  18. Dark Clone

Dark Clone Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2015
    I
    I agree. Malgus, Revan, Sion, and all those guys were really cool characters, but a close second was when Disney changed it to Legends.

19. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I also enjoy the events of the 10 year gap that was between TPM and AotC.

20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    prequel era and early dark times era

Chancellor Yoda and spicer like this.
  21. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014
    I completely love the Old Republic Era. SWTOR, KOTOR, Bane, and right up to Darth Plagueis. I have often wished that the story of the KOTOR game would be fully told in a novel. I've got every book and comic from that Era and they are still my favourites.

22. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    I absolutely loved the NJO and the Darth Bane Trilogy era.

23. Darth Dobrolous

Darth Dobrolous Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 7, 2016
    Don't really have a favourite era, but everything after NJO is so convoluted it is ridiculous.

24. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    New Republic + NJO eras are my favourites. Early conflicts with the Imperial Remnant were lots of fun, especially when Thrawn or Isard were involved. In NJO, all of those characters that got introduced during the NR era developed further and matured. the Vong war is also one of the darkest hours for the galaxy, which made it a compelling and an emotional setting. Most importantly, it features the Solo kids and other next gen characters that I got to love with the YJK books, and that really kept me in the SW fandom for years.
    I also enjoyed the lack of Sith. Its showed that you can make good Star Wars without constantly calling on that same bad guy - something that got a bit overused in the last years of the EU, and what we see again in the ANH re-make TFA.

TOTJ / KOTOR era isn't far behind on my favourites' list. I used to be very invested in it until the SWTOR MMO. Imo they overly complicated things. But that whole time period is tremendously exciting - cool and diverse factions (Jedi + Sith + Mando = winning combo), unexplored areas, interesting characters, intriguing large scale events etc. Its good Star Wars. :)

Prequel era also has a charm of its own. Everything was prettier back then... more elaborate, from the wardrobe to the architecture. Jedi Order was huge, so lots of interesting characters.

Also Legacy! Its original, fun, well thought of, its also a bit dark, has fleshed-out characters. All glory to the one true Emperor Roan Fel!

(Basically, I like most of the EU. :p)

25. Darth Aphrodite

Darth Aphrodite Jedi Master star 3

Jun 17, 2015
    NJO as Mara was heading in the mommy direction but still a total badass plus I had the biggest embarrassing crush on Anakin Solo ! :)